PDA

View Full Version : MM is dumb

PaCkFan_n_MD
12-07-2008, 03:09 PM
Why did he call TO on 2-7? He should have waited to see what they do the 2nd down before calling a TO. He had to call two TO's anyways to get the ball back, why not use then after 2nd and 3rd down? That way they don't have much time left if they convert 2nd down.

Just dumb!

wist43
12-07-2008, 03:10 PM
Why did he call TO on 2-7 he should have wait to see what they do the 2nd down before calling a TO. He had to call two TO to get the ball back, why not use then after 2nd and 3rd down? That way they don't have much time left if they convert 2nd down.

Just dumb!

I agree... was going to start a thread about this myself. Moronic clock management.

arcilite
12-07-2008, 03:10 PM
lol

you serious?

we had a good shot at getting the ball back with plenty of time.

and you cant even make the right thread title, pretty sure you're the idiot.

wist43
12-07-2008, 03:11 PM
lol

you serious?

Are you serious... you don't see the strategic blunder in that???

cpk1994
12-07-2008, 03:11 PM
Why did he call TO on 2-7 he should have wait to see what they do the 2nd down before calling a TO. He had to call two TO to get the ball back, why not use then after 2nd and 3rd down? That way they don't have much time left if they convert 2nd down.

Just dumb!It doesn't matter which order he calls them. The time on the clock would be about the same. If the defense did their job, MM would have been right on it.

PackerTimer
12-07-2008, 03:12 PM
Why did he call TO on 2-7? He should have waited to see what they do the 2nd down before calling a TO. He had to call two TO's anyways to get the ball back, why not use then after 2nd and 3rd down? That way they don't have much time left if they convert 2nd down.

Just dumb!

I agree. He's actually done this a few times this year. Wait to see if you force them into third down then call the TO.

BallHawk
12-07-2008, 03:12 PM
Most defense can hold a defense from within the 5 yard line with under 2 minutes left.

Then again, we are the Green Bay Packers.

PaCkFan_n_MD
12-07-2008, 03:13 PM
lol

you serious?

lol. Why don't you talk about the move instead of trying to attack me personally. And you must not have any fucking common sense if you dont see the mistake.

Plus I was talking on the phone and typing.

You me friend are a fucking bitch ass fag. Go suck MM dick......

Brohm
12-07-2008, 03:14 PM
At this stage of the season and the way our defense is playing, any clock managament is just delaying the inevitable collapse of the defense on the last game-winning series of the game by the opposing team :shock: :oops:

dissident94
12-07-2008, 03:14 PM
It was stupid. I thought it right from the start. OUr d cant stop anything. You cannot call a to at that moment. Texans probably try to run the clock out a little if not for the to

cpk1994
12-07-2008, 03:15 PM
lol

you serious?

lol. Why don't you talk about the move instead of trying to attack me personally. And you must not have any fucking common sense if you dont see the mistake.

You me friend are a fucking bitch ass fag. Go suck MM dick......How is it a mistke. If the defense could actually do their fucking job once, the strategy would have looke great. MM didn't make a mistake. The defense once agian failed.

arcilite
12-07-2008, 03:17 PM
lol

you serious?

You me friend are a fucking bitch ass fag. Go suck MM dick......How is it a mistke. If the defense could actually do their fucking job once, the strategy would have looke great. MM didn't make a mistake. The defense once agian failed.

This.

GBRulz
I think MM did exactly what he should have with that TO.

Where I think he screwed up was punting the ball away prior and actually thinking our D could stop them and get the ball back !!

wist43
They had 2 timeouts left... you call the TO on 3rd down - assuming a stop, and clock continuing to run. Force them to snap the ball... time left should be about 1:10 or so.

It's 3rd down and whatever, assume a stop on 3rd, call the other time out, they're punting from their end zone, you have no TO's, but you have the ball at about midfield, with a minute on the clock.

If they convert on 2nd or 3rd, with the clock having ticked down, they are still on about their 20 or so, but with only about 1:00 or so remaining.

That's why you let the clock run on 2nd down... man alive... have to explain this rudimentary stuff???

The alternative scenerio... we saw played out.

PaCkFan_n_MD
12-07-2008, 03:19 PM
lol

you serious?

MM has to call two both TO's to get the ball back right? Why not use it after 2nd and 3rd to see what they do on 2nd down first. If we stop them, the same amount of time would still be on the clock, but if they make it like they did, then there would be less time on the clock for them to work with.

wist43
12-07-2008, 03:21 PM
lol

you serious?

MM has to call two both TO's to get the ball back right? Why not use it after 2nd and 3rd to see what they do on 2nd down first. If we stop them, the same amount of time would still be on the clock, but if they make it like they did, then there would be less time on the clock for them to work with.

I think we're arguing the same thing here... read my post - I think you meant 3rd and 4th down use the TO's. He did use on 2nd down, thereby ensuring time for Houston... bad TO.

PaCkFan_n_MD
12-07-2008, 03:23 PM
lol

you serious?

I think we're arguing the same thing here... read my post - I think you meant 3rd and 4th down use the TO's. He did use on 2nd down, thereby ensuring time for Houston... bad TO.

yes my bad. We are arguing the same thing. This is pretty basic stuff. I can't believe your the only one who sees my point.

cpk1994
12-07-2008, 03:25 PM
lol

you serious?

MM has to call two both TO's to get the ball back right? Why not use it after 2nd and 3rd to see what they do on 2nd down first. If we stop them, the same amount of time would still be on the clock, but if they make it like they did, then there would be less time on the clock for them to work with.Becuause MM expects the D to make the stop there. Becuase if they make the stop everythings fine. Don't forget that the clock stopped twice after that, one for Kampy's offsides and Collins's injury. THose were a hell of a lot more critical than how MM called his timeouts.

wist43
12-07-2008, 03:26 PM
Didn't even have to think about it... as soon as I saw he had called the TO there, I knew it was a mistake. A no-brainer.

Can't believe nobody else sees it either... defending what he actually did. There is no excuse from making such a strategic blunder.

Hopefully, the papers will call it out... Strategy 101 - not rocket science.

channtheman
12-07-2008, 03:26 PM
WHAT!? Did he really call a timeout for them!? Oh wow I'm about to feel sick now. I thought Houston called that timeout. We should have let them go into overtime and take our chances on a coin toss.

PaCkFan_n_MD
12-07-2008, 03:28 PM
lol

you serious?

MM has to call two both TO's to get the ball back right? Why not use it after 2nd and 3rd to see what they do on 2nd down first. If we stop them, the same amount of time would still be on the clock, but if they make it like they did, then there would be less time on the clock for them to work with.Becuause MM expects the D to make the stop there. Becuase if they make the stop everythings fine. Don't forget that the clock stopped twice after that, one for Kampy's offsides and Collins's injury. THose were a hell of a lot more critical than how MM called his timeouts.

But the same amount of time would still be on the clock if he called them after that second down play assuming we stop them. Why not protect yourself in the defense fails like they did.

wist43
12-07-2008, 03:29 PM
lol

you serious?

Ur nuts... the only question in debate here is time left on the clock should they convert. By calling the TO at that point, MM essentially ensured that Houston would have time to drive the field if they converted.

The clock really didn't matter to MM - assuming a stop. It only mattered to Houston - whether if they converted, whether they would have enough time to get into FG range, which of course, they did.

How it played out, is exactly why you don't call the TO on 2nd down... it was a huge strategic blunder.

PaCkFan_n_MD
12-07-2008, 03:36 PM
lol

you serious?

Ur nuts... the only question in debate here is time left on the clock should they convert. By calling the TO at that point, MM essentially ensured that Houston would have time to drive the field if they converted.

The clock really didn't matter to MM - assuming a stop. It only mattered to Houston - whether if they converted, whether they would have enough time to get into FG range, which of course, they did.

How it played out, is exactly why you don't call the TO on 2nd down... it was a huge strategic blunder.

Good to see someone gets it. I expected more from MM. I thought this was a common sense move.

wist43
12-07-2008, 03:39 PM
Wow...

You wouldn't think this was that tough a concept to wrap ones brain around, lol :))

Can't believe the coaching staff hasn't prepared for just such scenario's... easy call to make. MM really blew this one, but it seems they really blow basic clock management scenario's fairly regularly.

All scenario's of clock management should already have been considered, and should be discussed as the clock is winding down. I didn't need to talk to anyone to make the call quite easily from my armchair... as I said, I thought it was a nobrainer.

HarveyWallbangers
12-07-2008, 03:40 PM

Just dumb!

Agreed.

PaCkFan_n_MD
12-07-2008, 03:41 PM
Arcilite, you off MM nuts yet? Why don't you next time actually think about the post before your dumb ass responds. You probably still don't see the mistake and you called me dumb. fuck off bitch.

CaliforniaCheez
12-07-2008, 03:47 PM
Mike is going to look and the film and get it corrected, just like last week, and the week before, and the week before that, and the week before that, and the week before that, and the week before that.

BobDobbs
12-07-2008, 05:41 PM
He shouldn't have challenged that 2 point conversion either. That was a stupid timeout to lose. Ultimately didn't matter, but it could have.

Jimx29
12-07-2008, 06:42 PM
Mike is going to look and the film and get it corrected, just like last week, and the week before, and the week before that, and the week before that, and the week before that, and the week before that.Started saying that shit right after the "train has left the station" bullshit

ThunderDan
12-07-2008, 06:50 PM
They had 2 timeouts left... you call the TO on 3rd down - assuming a stop, and clock continuing to run. Force them to snap the ball... time left should be about 1:10 or so.

It's 3rd down and whatever, assume a stop on 3rd, call the other time out, they're punting from their end zone, you have no TO's, but you have the ball at about midfield, with a minute on the clock.

If they convert on 2nd or 3rd, with the clock having ticked down, they are still on about their 20 or so, but with only about 1:00 or so remaining.

That's why you let the clock run on 2nd down... man alive... have to explain this rudimentary stuff???

The call by MM was correct. The whole idea is to make the opponents have to throw on 3rd down and than an incompletion stops the clock. We would have gotten the ball back with 1:30 on the clock at midfield.

The issue is the D and the D only. From the 2 yard line Houston's playbook is probably reduced to 8 plays at most. We couldn't stop them. We couldn't stop them all day. If it wasn't for the turnovers this is another blowout like NO.

wist43
12-07-2008, 07:13 PM

The call by MM was correct. The whole idea is to make the opponents have to throw on 3rd down and than an incompletion stops the clock. We would have gotten the ball back with 1:30 on the clock at midfield.

The issue is the D and the D only. From the 2 yard line Houston's playbook is probably reduced to 8 plays at most. We couldn't stop them. We couldn't stop them all day. If it wasn't for the turnovers this is another blowout like NO.

Good lord... did you even read the logic behind why the TO, when taken, was stupid???

Yes, the issue is the defense, that is why you let the clock run down when you have the chance. When you can then be in control of managing the clock.

They have the ball deep in their own territory... you are in scoring position if you can force a punt, you want to get the clock down, so that if they convert, they have less time, and if they have to punt, you are still in scoring position with enough time to get into FG range...

IT REDUCES THEIR OPTIONS!!!!!!

Why is this such a difficult concept for some of you to grasp???

Do it the way MM did, left Houston time to do what they did... never should have come to that... worst case scenario, if you let the clock run down, and force them to run a play there, and they convert as they did, is they have the ball 1st and 10 at the 25, but with only about 1:05 to play instead of 1:40.

Good God... it's just simple logic.

ThunderDan
12-07-2008, 07:18 PM

Good lord... did you even read the logic behind why the TO, when taken, was stupid???

Yes, the issue is the defense, that is why you let the clock run down when you have the chance. When you can then be in control of managing the clock.

They have the ball deep in their own territory... you are in scoring position if you can force a punt, you want to get the clock down, so that if they convert, they have less time, and if they have to punt, you are still in scoring position with enough time to get into FG range...

Do it the way MM did, left Houston time to do what they did... never should have come to that... worst case scenario, if you let the clock run down, and force them to run a play there, and they convert as they did, is they have the ball 1st and 10 at the 25, but with only about 1:05 to play instead of 1:40.

Good God... it's just simple logic.+

Wist-

You are lucky you didn't call me stupid to my face. After seeing what the cancer is doing to my dad today I would have leveled your ass and you would going to a hospital and me to jail!!!

PaCkFan_n_MD
12-07-2008, 07:21 PM
Yes, trying to force them to throw on third down would get 30-35 extra seconds IF the defense does indeed stop the Texans. But like you said yourself, we would have been at midfield if we got the ball back and having the ball with about a minute left instead of a 1:35 or so is still plenty of time to try to get into field goal range.

Thus, by waiting until after second down to call the timeout would have protected us from basically calling timeout for the Texans at the end of the game. I would be much happier giving the Texans about a minute to get to field goal range from our 3 yard line an exchange an extra possible 30-35 seconds on offense. Because if we indeed do stop them backed up there like am sue MM was hoping we still get plenty of time when we get the ball back. In my eyes that was a big mistake.

PaCkFan_n_MD
12-07-2008, 07:23 PM
Sorry to hear that man, I hope your dad gets better.

ThunderDan
12-07-2008, 07:25 PM
Yes, trying to force them to throw on third down would get 30-35 extra seconds IF the defense does indeed stop the Texans. But like you said yourself, we would have been at midfield if we got the ball back and having the ball with about a minute left instead of a 1:35 or so is still plenty of time to try to get into field goal range.

Thus, by waiting until after second down to call the timeout would have protected us from basically calling timeout for the Texans at the end of the game. I would be much happier giving the Texans about a minute to get to field goal range from our 3 yard line an exchange an extra possible 30-35 seconds on offense. Because if we indeed do stop them backed up there like am sue MM was hoping we still get plenty of time when we get the ball back. In my eyes that was a big mistake.

What if we threw a pass and couldn't get out of bounds and than couldn't get our FG unit on the field? I think they were kicking into the wind in the 4th and need to get to the 27 or so. I'd rather have the extra time and let the play clock run down and spike it with 4 seconds left for a game winning FG than potential running out of time.

wist43
12-07-2008, 07:30 PM

Good God... it's just simple logic.+

Wist-

You are lucky you didn't call me stupid to my face. After seeing what the cancer is doing to my dad today I would have leveled your ass and you would going to a hospital and me to jail!!!

First off, didn't call you stupid... said the TO was stupid, if you don't agree, make the case...

Secondly, didn't know anything about your dad, and I'm sorry for his illness... I've lost loved ones cancer, so I know what you're going thru.

-------------------------------------------------------

In the spirit of the Packer family, I am editing this post and apologizing to TD. I respect that you are facing personal difficulty, and that you reacted... I said nothing personal to you, but I do apologize for the posting that I am editing out of this post...

I do not take well to being threatened phsyically... and when pushed, I generally push back - literally. No need to get into a pissing contest... understand though, as a friendly reminder, you never really know who you're talking to, so be polite.

I may offer up strong opinions, but I always try never to get personal with people. I did not call you stupid, I said the TO was stupid; and, will stand by that. I think I've made the case pretty ironclad.

PaCkFan_n_MD
12-07-2008, 07:40 PM

What if we threw a pass and couldn't get out of bounds and than couldn't get our FG unit on the field? I think they were kicking into the wind in the 4th and need to get to the 27 or so. I'd rather have the extra time and let the play clock run down and spike it with 4 seconds left for a game winning FG than potential running out of time.

What if we can't get our field goal unit on the field?

You have much more control on offense than you do on defense. If the offense can't manage 20-25 yards with about a minute left even with no TO's then we don't deserve to win the game at the end of regulation. And also there is still OT.

But what if the Texans make the 1st down on 2-7?

You saw what happened...........

pbmax
01-21-2019, 04:48 PM
Memories, all alone in the moonlight...

mraynrand
01-21-2019, 05:30 PM
You me friend are a fucking bitch ass fag. Go suck MM dick......

Arcilite, you off MM nuts yet? Why don't you next time actually think about the post before your dumb ass responds. You probably still don't see the mistake and you called me dumb. fuck off bitch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjgWWjkNbhU

pbmax
01-21-2019, 06:12 PM
The long ago days of comity and civility.

Rastak
01-21-2019, 06:18 PM
The long ago days of comity and civility.

True, nothing like civilized gentleman calming discussing the issue at hand and making their points in an intelligent thought out manner......or you could just go "fuck you bitch, you are a moron"

QBME
01-21-2019, 06:45 PM
True, nothing like civilized gentleman calming discussing the issue at hand and making their points in an intelligent thought out manner......or you could just go "fuck you bitch, you are a moron"

Which makes me reflect, why even resurrect an 11 year old thread?

Rastak
01-21-2019, 06:52 PM

What's the term the kids use these days? Necro'ing a thread?

pbmax
01-21-2019, 06:53 PM

I was looking for a People are Dumb thread and I stumbled across this one. I miss all these posters. Even cpk1994!

I love wist's clock strategy where he wants to not use timeouts so as to take time off the clock BEFORE you get the ball back.

Its a classic!

QBME
01-21-2019, 06:56 PM
What's the term the kids use these days? Necro'ing a thread?

Wow, had to Google the term. You are spot on - the kids do use it.