PDA

View Full Version : Telephone call from Mr. Pereira

ThunderDan
12-07-2008, 04:15 PM
Well it took until the 13th game of the season to get screwed by the refs this year. They cost the Packers a first down on the Texans 13 yard line with 3:02 left in the 4th quarter.

I can't wait until MM addresses the media on Wednesday to say he got the dreaded we fucked up phone call from Mike Pereira.

th87
12-07-2008, 04:20 PM
Maybe there's a silver lining to all this?

Our defense can't stop anyone anyway. So if we'd somehow squeaked out a win, and even snuck into the playoffs, we'd get smothered by a good team. Is that really worth it?

By the refs screwing us, we get an excuse to purge the team of the weak links (Sanders, Stock, etc.), and gives us a chance to load up for next year.

At least that's what I'm telling myself.

channtheman
12-07-2008, 04:22 PM
Maybe there's a silver lining to all this?

Our defense can't stop anyone anyway. So if we'd somehow squeaked out a win, and even snuck into the playoffs, we'd get smothered by a good team. Is that really worth it?

By the refs screwing us, we get an excuse to purge the team of the weak links (Sanders, Stock, etc.), and gives us a chance to load up for next year.

At least that's what I'm telling myself.

My silver lining? At least now I don't care if we lose anymore games this year. Playoffs are over so now we either win (cool) or we lose and improve our draft pick. Win/Win for me at this point, as weird as that sounds.

MJZiggy
12-07-2008, 04:22 PM
Is that really worth it?

Yes. (but I like the housecleaning theory...)

Fosco33
12-07-2008, 04:41 PM
I look at the Moll hold, the non-hold on Kampy in the endzone, the non-hold on the 'fake' punt, the crappy offensive hold on DD - then the non-call on a key 3rd down as classic examples of getting screwed.

Add to that the whistle on a fumble and no penalty on Leach after the Collins injury. Then a somewhat questionable hold on Hunter for Blackmon's TD...

Lots of poor judgement calls today - way too many in fact.

But 1-11 on 3rd downs will not win many games. Pack was lucky to be in the game - the +3 turnovers helped keep it close.

Gotta face it - the defense is looking for picks instead of looking for hits.

DonHutson
12-07-2008, 04:52 PM
Well it took until the 13th game of the season to get screwed by the refs this year.

Missed the Viking game didya? Illegal froward pass in the end zone? Peterson running all over God's green earth with no helmet on down the stretch?

I agree completely with Fosco's list of questionable calls. Still, the D was awful and there's no excuse for giving up a game winning FG when Houston started at their own 2.

denverYooper
12-07-2008, 04:53 PM

This is a good point. They also seem to be more interested in stripping the ball than tackling. Are these things happening at the expense of maintaining more consistency on D? Do the turnovers they generate come at the expense of big plays or less consistency?

I really don't know, but it is curious that they are +6 in turnovers, +36 in scoring, and were 31:24 avg TOP -- all categories that good teams are supposed to do well in -- and yet they keep losing.

gbgary
12-07-2008, 04:58 PM

This is a good point. They also seem to be more interested in stripping the ball than tackling.

they're just trying to get off the field to get some rest...for three plays and a commercial. the O will go 3-and-out and they'll be right back out there.

channtheman
12-07-2008, 05:11 PM

This is a good point. They also seem to be more interested in stripping the ball than tackling.

they're just trying to get off the field to get some rest...for three plays and a commercial. the O will go 3-and-out and they'll be right back out there.

I don't buy this argument. Against NO we were going on 5-8 minute TD drives and then the D would come out and give up a TD in 2 minutes or less.