PDA

View Full Version : Adjustments? Mike? Anybody?

Fritz
12-07-2008, 06:24 PM
The memory of this game that will forever be seared on my brain is that of Desmond Bishop vainly trying and failing to cover a tight end coming over the middle.

Bishop played beautifully early on, but the Texans adjusted and began abusing the guy by clearing out the middle and sliding a tight end through - and inevitably Bishop could not keep up. How many big gains did the TExans have from that single play today? Yet somehow, miraculously, MM or Sanders or whomever did not make an adjustment. I assume Chillar was out, so okay, bad luck - but could you take your chances with another D-back there instead of a linebacker? Sure a d-back can't tackle the tight end so well, but by god Bishop was getting burned again and again and again. At least a d-back has a chance to cover the guy.

This was reminiscent of the stubborness in the championship game last year, when MM or Sanders or whoever refused to roll a safety over to Harris's side to help with Burress when Burress was eating Harris alive.

This coaching staff has done a poor job this year; injuries notwithstanding. Example B: your offense has the ball with over three minutes or something left, first down at the opponents' what, thirty? You need a field goal. Unlike the goal line thing last week, here you are in a perfect position to run the ball twice, gain a few yards, burn some time, then throw a third down pass that will either get you a first down or at least get you an incomplete.

So MM decides to call a pass on first down...sack. Say, Mike, second and 17, howz about a screen? But nooo.

MM has befuddled me this year.

cpk1994
12-07-2008, 06:56 PM
The memory of this game that will forever be seared on my brain is that of Desmond Bishop vainly trying and failing to cover a tight end coming over the middle.

Bishop played beautifully early on, but the Texans adjusted and began abusing the guy by clearing out the middle and sliding a tight end through - and inevitably Bishop could not keep up. How many big gains did the TExans have from that single play today? Yet somehow, miraculously, MM or Sanders or whomever did not make an adjustment. I assume Chillar was out, so okay, bad luck - but could you take your chances with another D-back there instead of a linebacker? Sure a d-back can't tackle the tight end so well, but by god Bishop was getting burned again and again and again. At least a d-back has a chance to cover the guy.

This was reminiscent of the stubborness in the championship game last year, when MM or Sanders or whoever refused to roll a safety over to Harris's side to help with Burress when Burress was eating Harris alive.

This coaching staff has done a poor job this year; injuries notwithstanding. Example B: your offense has the ball with over three minutes or something left, first down at the opponents' what, thirty? You need a field goal. Unlike the goal line thing last week, here you are in a perfect position to run the ball twice, gain a few yards, burn some time, then throw a third down pass that will either get you a first down or at least get you an incomplete.

So MM decides to call a pass on first down...sack. Say, Mike, second and 17, howz about a screen? But nooo.

MM has befuddled me this year.TO be fair, I don't think they have run a successful screen pass all year.

ThunderDan
12-07-2008, 06:58 PM

MM has befuddled me this year.

Actual, we ran on 1st down and gained 3. We ran on 2nd down and gained 9 yards to the Houston 13 and had a holding penalty that didn't exist. Then it was 2 and 17 at the 32. We needed yardage to get closer for the FG and Rodgers got sacked. So MM really did what you just described.

Fritz
12-07-2008, 07:53 PM
It was the second and 17 that called for a screen. You knew they were coming on the pass rush. A screen or draw there would have been better.