PDA

View Full Version : Coles Bashes Favre...

packers11
12-07-2008, 07:36 PM
pft.com

COLES ON FAVRE: THE JUGS MACHINE THROWS HARDER
Posted by Josh Alper on December 7, 2008, 8:32 p.m.

As if the Jets woeful play over the last two weeks wasn’t enough for them to worry about, they may have a little problem in the locker room when Brett Favre hears what Laveranues Coles had to say about him.

John Crumpacker of the San Francisco Chronicle (via Fanhouse) shared some comments that Coles made before today’s 24-14 loss to the 49ers. Coles thinks that Favre’s reputation as a good quarterback with a strong arm isn’t justified.

“I catch balls from the Jugs machine. The ball probably comes out harder from there than it does from anywhere else … Of course he’s the big name, he’s the Hall of Famer, he’s going to get the majority of the credit but most of the guys who deserve the credit don’t really get it.”

Coles, who bemoaned the loss of Chad Pennington after the Favre trade, is also unhappy with his role in the offense.

“We’re in a quarterback-driven offense where he pretty much has control of everything, where before the offense was pretty much driven through me. … I just kind of become a role player instead of a guy that teams had to prepare for … This is his offense. When we do throw the ball, there’s really no level of importance, where at one point it used to be where I was the guy … in position to get the ball most of the time.”

Coles is second on the team with 56 catches for 620 yards. Jerricho Cotchery, with 59 and 702 leads in both categories. Coles has scored six times, however, which is best on the Jets and one shy of his career best in that category.

Brando19
12-07-2008, 07:47 PM
Not good. Poor Favre. I wonder if Coles would feel the same if Favre smashed him in the face with his throwing hand?

cpk1994
12-07-2008, 07:59 PM
"Of course he’s the big name, he’s the Hall of Famer, he’s going to get the majority of the credit but most of the guys who deserve the credit don’t really get it.”

Laverneus, you are learning what Packer fans knew for 16 years. Get used to it buddy. The Media will suck Favre's knob for all its worth.

MJZiggy
12-07-2008, 08:01 PM
Interesting comments from a teammate (someone who's supposed to have your back). I know he has a bad attitude about Favre, but what if there's some truth to it? The arm strength part, I could care less if Coles or Cotchery gets more touches.

imscott72
12-07-2008, 08:03 PM
Coles is a moron. He's bitching and they had an 8-4 record? (these comments were before today's game) He's selfish because he's not getting his stats. ME ME ME ME. Must be related to Chad Johnson. :roll:

Brando19
12-07-2008, 08:10 PM
"Of course he’s the big name, he’s the Hall of Famer, he’s going to get the majority of the credit but most of the guys who deserve the credit don’t really get it.”

Laverneus, you are learning what Packer fans knew for 16 years. Get used to it buddy. The Media will suck Favre's knob for all its worth.

We ALL sucked his knob for years. If Favre were still a Packer, your avatar would probably be Favre. :wink:

arcilite
12-07-2008, 08:15 PM
Interesting comments from a teammate (someone who's supposed to have your back). I know he has a bad attitude about Favre, but what if there's some truth to it? The arm strength part, I could care less if Coles or Cotchery gets more touches.

I ventured to some JEts forums (I know they are not the sanest of fans) to try to see if trhere is merit behind what coles said.

I think there is.

They complain a lot about underthrown deep balls and the like.

Fritz
12-07-2008, 08:18 PM

We ALL sucked his knob for years. If Favre were still a Packer, your avatar would probably be Favre. :wink:

Please. Not so.

From time to time I reached out to touch it, but that's about all.

Packers4Ever
12-07-2008, 08:31 PM
Coles is a moron. He's bitching and they had an 8-4 record? (these comments were before today's game) He's selfish because he's not getting his stats. ME ME ME ME. Must be related to Chad Johnson. :roll:

What a moron is right, he's got "jealosy" written all over him. What a lousy addition he must be to the locker room out there, maybe we should send our coach out there to "fix him.?" :violin:
:roll:

Packers4Ever
12-07-2008, 08:39 PM

I ventured to some JEts forums (I know they are not the sanest of fans) to try to see if trhere is merit behind what coles said.

I think there is.

I just came back from a visit to the Jets Forums. Didn't see a thing, if I had I would have brought it back here to our Forum. :roll:

bobblehead
12-07-2008, 08:45 PM
Even if coles is right, what a fucking jack off. Be happy you are heading to the playoffs and don't cause disruptions you fucktard.

Brando19
12-07-2008, 08:46 PM

Please. Not so.

From time to time I reached out to touch it, but that's about all.

HAHAHA!!!

:lol:

I want to nominate this for funniest post of the year. That's funny, I don't give a shit who you are!

LEWCWA
12-07-2008, 08:48 PM

typical bs from you....

LEWCWA
12-07-2008, 08:50 PM

I think there is.

Brett has always sucked at the deep ball. His big arm rep was earned from the 30 yard laser beams he throws...he has never had much touch on the deep lofted bomb type pass.

Brando19
12-07-2008, 08:52 PM
Even if coles is right, what a fucking jack off. Be happy you are heading to the playoffs and don't cause disruptions you fucktard.

I agree with you totally! But did you notice there's a 3 way tie in the Jets division!?!? I don't know how the hell that happened...but the Jets, Pats, and Dolphings are all 8-5. Favre fans better hope the Jets win out and Packers fans better hope that, too for that high draft pick!

Patler
12-07-2008, 08:58 PM
Extremely dumb thing for Coles to say. Extremely dumb.

But, Favre's arm is NOT what it used to be. You could see it last year, you can see it more this year.
Remember James Jones comment this past training camp, when he said Rodgers throws harder than Favre? Jones could be a good gauge of how much Favre's arm has declined. He did not see Favre in his prime. His comparison was a contemporary comparison of Favre NOW and Rodgers now.

There is a reason Favre's yards/completion is lower than it has ever been, and about a yard below his career average (last time I checked). He throws few passes longer than 10 yards.

Patler
12-07-2008, 09:00 PM
Brett has always sucked at the deep ball. His big arm rep was earned from the 30 yard laser beams he throws...he has never had much touch on the deep lofted bomb type pass.

Agreed, except I would say " the 30 yard laser beams he threw". You don't see many of those anymore.

red
12-07-2008, 09:02 PM
i just saw the replay of the favre INT. coles gave up on the play. he didn't even try to get the ball that was picked

Freak Out
12-07-2008, 09:03 PM
Cole's is a chump. A TO type with much less talent. He must not understand it's a team sport.

arcilite
12-07-2008, 09:06 PM

I think there is.

I just came back from a visit to the Jets Forums. Didn't see a thing, if I had I would have brought it back here to our Forum. :roll:

Took only 3 minutes

http://forums.theganggreen.com/showthread.php?t=39196

Noodle
12-07-2008, 09:09 PM
Extremely dumb thing for Coles to say. Extremely dumb.

But, Favre's arm is NOT what it used to be. You could see it last year, you can see it more this year.
Remember James Jones comment this past training camp, when he said Rodgers throws harder than Favre? Jones could be a good gauge of how much Favre's arm has declined. He did not see Favre in his prime. His comparison was a contemporary comparison of Favre NOW and Rodgers now.

There is a reason Favre's yards/completion is lower than it has ever been, and about a yard below his career average (last time I checked). He throws few passes longer than 10 yards.

That's what was so brilliant about the focus of the offense last year. Get the ball out quick, in rhythm, then let the YAC pile up. Don't ask the QB to do crap that's not in his wheel house.

Arm strenghth is like 40 times, way over-rated. Give me pre-snap decision-making, accuracy and timing any day of the week.

Kiwon
12-07-2008, 09:18 PM
There are plenty of teams that would take Farve and his weak arm over what they have.

RashanGary
12-07-2008, 09:21 PM
There are plenty of teams that would take Favre and his weak arm over what they have.

I wish they would have showed up when we tried to trade him.

Kiwon
12-07-2008, 09:29 PM
There are plenty of teams that would take Favre and his weak arm over what they have.

I wish they would have showed up when we tried to trade him.

Well, the dude is 39 and makes $12 mill a year. It's not like signing a street FA.

channtheman
12-07-2008, 10:24 PM

I think there is.

Took only 3 minutes

http://forums.theganggreen.com/showthread.php?t=39196

Packers4ever, don't talk out of your ass, no one likes it when people do that. As for the Jets fans, DAMN. I thought they liked Favre a whole lot more. They label anyone who says anything good about Favre a Packer fan but that's probably because they are. Do we have any packerrats signed up at that board? Come on now, be honest. What's your usernames over there? :lol:

th87
12-08-2008, 12:21 AM
Looks like this is a media concoction:

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/12/07/coles-on-favre-the-jugs-machine-throws-harder/

UPDATE: Rich Cimini of the Daily News and Erik Boland of Newsday have both reacted to Crumpacker’s story by writing that Favre and Coles were joking around before the call and, according to Cimini, Favre told Coles to tell the S.F. writers that they had problems with each other. Each also posted the full transcript of the conference call which makes Coles sound a helluva lot less self-involved as the quotes Crumpacker used and I passed along. For example:

Chronicle: “This is his offense. When we do throw the ball, there’s really no level of importance, where at one point it used to be where I was the guy … in position to get the ball most of the time.”

Complete transcript: “Basically, you just follow the plays around [Brett Favre]. This is his offense. Our running game has taken off and then when we do throw the ball, there’s really no level of importance, where at one point in time it used to be where I was the guy that was put in the position to get the ball most of the time. Now I just play my role and if the team decides to take me away, we’ve got other guys that make plays. Basically, I just do what I’m supposed to do and that’s my role.”

Harlan Huckleby
12-08-2008, 12:43 AM
This is very fishy.

John Crumpacker of the San Francisco Chronicle (via Fanhouse) shared some comments that Coles made before today’s 24-14 loss to the 49ers.

what is "via Fanhouse"? Does Crumpacker stand behind this story as a journalist?

Coles thinks that Favre’s reputation as a good quarterback with a strong arm isn’t justified.

How inflamatory. Did Coles say this? If he said it, where is the quote?
No, this is just the spin put on the story by the writer, who is repeating the spin put on a conversation by another writer.

“I catch balls from the Jugs machine. The ball probably comes out harder from there than it does from anywhere else … Of course he’s the big name, he’s the Hall of Famer, he’s going to get the majority of the credit but most of the guys who deserve the credit don’t really get it.”

What did Coles say in the "..." part? Probably something that mitigates the other comment, so it was cut out.

And even the edited statement is not saying more than the obvious, Favre gets the star treatment from the press.

For all I know, maybe Coles is a big dick. But its highly unlikely that he would agree with the spin that this story is pushing. A reciever does not trash his starting QB, he knows where his bread is buttered. The Jets team is having more success with Favre this year than they've seen in several years.

Harlan Huckleby
12-08-2008, 12:44 AM
UPDATE: Rich Cimini of the Daily News and Erik Boland of Newsday have both reacted to Crumpacker’s story by writing that Favre and Coles were joking around before the call and, according to Cimini, Favre told Coles to tell the S.F. writers that they had problems with each other.

OK, this sounds much more believable than the original story.

cpk1994
12-08-2008, 03:56 AM

typical bs from you....Can't be bs when it is the truth. YOu are ignorant if yua can't see that the media kisses Favre's ass every which way. And you obviously don't pay attention to Terry Bradshaw. But I expect that kind of a bs response from you.

lod01
12-08-2008, 07:46 AM
Truly pathetic journalism.

LL2
12-08-2008, 09:12 AM
pft.com

COLES ON FAVRE: THE JUGS MACHINE THROWS HARDER
Posted by Josh Alper on December 7, 2008, 8:32 p.m.

“We’re in a quarterback-driven offense where he pretty much has control of everything, where before the offense was pretty much driven through me. … I just kind of become a role player instead of a guy that teams had to prepare for … This is his offense. When we do throw the ball, there’s really no level of importance, where at one point it used to be where I was the guy … in position to get the ball most of the time.”

Coles is second on the team with 56 catches for 620 yards. Jerricho Cotchery, with 59 and 702 leads in both categories. Coles has scored six times, however, which is best on the Jets and one shy of his career best in that category.

I'm not a Jets supporter, other than for than 2nd rd pick, but shouldn't the offense go through the QB? I never heard of an offense that ran through a WR.