PDA

View Full Version : How many points do you expect the defense to allow?

Partial
12-07-2008, 09:02 PM
How many points is too many points allowed? 5, 10, 15, 20, 21, 30?

It seems many people are blaming the defense for giving up 24 points total.

It seems many are willing to put this blame completely on the defense that bent but didn't break extremely well today. They also forced 4 turnovers.

The defense put the team in position to succeed with a tied ball game, 2 minutes left, and the ball on the oppositions 25 yard line ( a chip shot for a quality kicker like Crosby ). Is that enough? Should we expect them to have held the explosion Texans offense to 14 points? Maybe 7?

Where do we draw the line?

imscott72
12-07-2008, 09:12 PM
How about a defense that doesn't give up 500 yards? Or a game winning drive after our new punter pins them on the 2 yard line? Just because the Texans only scored 24 doesn't mean the defense played well. If it weren't for the turnovers they would have blown us out.

Other than the 3rd down conversions I think the offense did enough to win the game. I don't blame that last drive the officials took away on the offense. The offense has done their job this year ranking 4th in the league in pts, and 7th in yards.

Bretsky
12-07-2008, 09:14 PM

It seems many people are blaming the defense for giving up 24 points total.

It seems many are willing to put this blame completely on the defense that bent but didn't break extremely well today. They also forced 4 turnovers.

The defense put the team in position to succeed with a tied ball game, 2 minutes left, and the ball on the oppositions 25 yard line ( a chip shot for a quality kicker like Crosby ). Is that enough? Should we expect them to have held the explosion Texans offense to 14 points? Maybe 7?

530 yards is absolutely atrocious

Letting them drive from the 2 yard line is pathetic

There is a hell of a lot more to look at than pure points

red
12-07-2008, 09:16 PM
well, our d on average gives up 24.5 points a game. which manages to rank 22 out of 32 teams

so thats not good

and our offense averages 27.3 which ranks 4th in the nfl

soooo, which looks like the problem?

arcilite
12-07-2008, 09:20 PM
well, our d on average gives up 24.5 points a game. which manages to rank 22 out of 32 teams

so thats not good

and our offense averages 27.3 which ranks 4th in the nfl

soooo, which looks like the problem?

Obviously its Aaron Rodgers

Joemailman
12-07-2008, 09:20 PM
The number can vary from game to game. however, some moments are more important than others. The Packers had Houston backed up to the 2 yard line in a tie game, but they couldn't make a stop when they needed to. If they had, it might have been the Packers kicking a field goal at the end.

imscott72
12-07-2008, 09:32 PM
The Packers had Houston backed up to the 2 yard line in a tie game, but they couldn't make a stop when they needed to. If they had, it might have been the Packers kicking a field goal at the end.

And how many times has that happened this season? We've lost several games this year after having the lead in the 4th quarter. The defense just doesn't have the ability to close the deal this year for whatever reason. They play well in spurts it seems, but when it matter most they disappear. I'd like to blame that on youth, but there's plenty of veteran presence on that unit.

MJZiggy
12-07-2008, 10:08 PM
Not to mention that a Texan fumbles on the way into the end zone, and they missed a kick. We didn't force that missed kick. I'll take it, but the D doesn't get credit for it. The Texans should never have been in position to score there anyway. Also keep in mind that Rodgers took 3 of those 4 turnovers down the field for touchdowns. I know you wanna crucify him, but this was an all-over failure.

TravisWilliams23
12-07-2008, 10:15 PM
? Should we expect them to have held the explosion Texans offense to 14 points? Maybe 7?

Anytime they give up 1 more point than what our offense has scored, it's 1 point too many.

I expect them to make them punt from the endzone when they start their drive at their own 2 yard line.

I felt almost the same way at the end of last year with our defense. They were very good early in the season but lost that game changing ability as the year wore on.

This year the injuries have really taken it's toll on the unit.

Until TT can put a D on the field like Pittsburgh's, Baltimore's, Giant's this team will never compete for the Lombardi trophy.

Gunakor
12-07-2008, 10:25 PM
17 or fewer points allowed is a good defensive effort. Anything over 21 points is poor IMO, as long as your offense isn't turning the ball over a ton.

Partial
12-07-2008, 11:18 PM
How about a defense that doesn't give up 500 yards? Or a game winning drive after our new punter pins them on the 2 yard line? Just because the Texans only scored 24 doesn't mean the defense played well. If it weren't for the turnovers they would have blown us out.

Other than the 3rd down conversions I think the offense did enough to win the game. I don't blame that last drive the officials took away on the offense. The offense has done their job this year ranking 4th in the league in pts, and 7th in yards.

What difference does it make if they give up a million yards and zero points. Yards are irrelevant. How many points is an acceptable amount? You didn't answer the question.

Partial
12-07-2008, 11:19 PM
530 yards is absolutely atrocious

Letting them drive from the 2 yard line is pathetic

There is a hell of a lot more to look at than pure points

No doubt its atrocious, but they didn't capitalize. We still held them to 24 points. 21 of those points mattered imo. Is that too many to allow?

Partial
12-07-2008, 11:20 PM
so 21 points is the standard of a bad defensive showing?

OK, I can accept that.

Kyle.McCarroll
12-07-2008, 11:24 PM

OK, I can accept that.

If our D only gave up 21 points for each game this year, we would be 10-2-1.

Partial
12-07-2008, 11:25 PM

OK, I can accept that.

I know! Isn't that something?!?

mission
12-07-2008, 11:27 PM

OK, I can accept that.

We would be 0 and fucking 14 if we gave up 500 yards every game.

Aint that something?

Bossman641
12-07-2008, 11:34 PM
Partial, I know you think you are making some grand point with these "how many points" topics, but it is much more than the number of points that are given up. It is the situation in which they are given up. When you have a team backed up on their 2 it is simply unacceptable to give up a game-winning drive. Both sides of the ball played bad today, but the defense really sucked when they were needed the most, and that is why everyone is so down on the defense.

But whatever, if you want me to throw a number out there here it is. Anything under 20 points is a good day for a defense, assuming the defense hasn't had to deal with TO's and bad situations all day.

Partial
12-08-2008, 12:32 AM

OK, I can accept that.

We would be 0 and fucking 14 if we gave up 500 yards every game.

Aint that something?

That is impossible to judge.

Partial
12-08-2008, 12:33 AM
Offense played far worse than the defense. That is the point that is very evident to me.

3irty1
12-08-2008, 04:13 AM
I feel ya. That last defensive drive shouldn't even have mattered if the Texans kicker hits that FG before half. The argument that the offense was worse is legitimate but the defense both "bending" and "breaking" from the two yard line on the last series of the game was the peanut on top of the turd that was this team on Sunday. It really did take all of them working together as a team to lose this one.

cpk1994
12-08-2008, 04:17 AM
Offense played far worse than the defense. That is the point that is very evident to me. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Partial
12-08-2008, 05:19 AM
Offense played far worse than the defense. That is the point that is very evident to me. :roll: :roll: :roll:

How can you say that? They had the ball with great field position and ample opportunity to score and they did not put enough points up.

They defense held a potent offense in check almost all day. The Packers offense never got on track.

Patler
12-08-2008, 09:31 AM
I expect the team collectively to surrender one less point than the team collectively scores.

Gunakor
12-08-2008, 02:52 PM

How can you say that? They had the ball with great field position and ample opportunity to score and they did not put enough points up.

They defense held a potent offense in check almost all day. The Packers offense never got on track.

550 yards of offense given up... Yeah, they really held that offense in check. :roll:

imscott72
12-08-2008, 04:32 PM

What difference does it make if they give up a million yards and zero points. Yards are irrelevant. How many points is an acceptable amount? You didn't answer the question.

It makes a big difference Partial. If they're constantly hemmoraging yards, then the offense is not on the field. The defense tires and points are scored by the opponent. The opponent is playing the game downhill. I know I don't have to tell you all this, but you just don't seem to get it at all.

KYPack
12-08-2008, 04:39 PM
Offense played far worse than the defense. That is the point that is very evident to me.

Easy Partial.

Yer gonna strain something and hurt yourself.

The defense gave up over 400 yards passing to Schaub and the Texicans.

The last time the D gave up 400 yards passing was a 2006 loss to the Dolphins QBed by one Joey Harrington.

Anyone who remembers that game should get a free beer from someplace.

bobblehead
12-08-2008, 04:39 PM

In a one week time span you have declared that interceptions don't matter and yards are irrelavent.....think about that.