PDA

View Full Version : Nasty Block on Jared Allen

Partial
12-08-2008, 02:43 PM
Talk about low blows. I hope the joker that did that gets suspended. That was the dirtiest thing I've seen all season by far. He hit him really hard!

Rastak
12-08-2008, 02:50 PM
Talk about low blows. I hope the joker that did that gets suspended. That was the dirtiest thing I've seen all season by far. He hit him really hard!

Backside play, straight at the knee....definately cheap. Now he knows hos Schaub felt. I thought that play on Schaub was pretty damn cheap also.

Partial
12-08-2008, 03:03 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lby1f3DHRdk

PackerTimer
12-08-2008, 03:06 PM
I'm not surpised somebody took at a shot at him. It was cheap but if there is one person who has no place to complain about cheap shots, it's Allen. Karma is a bitch.

Patler
12-08-2008, 03:16 PM
Players from the '60s and '70s would laugh at a current day player complaining about that block. Allen was running in the general direction of the blocker, the blocker's head was in front so it wasn't a "clip" under the old interpretation. As long as you got your helmet in front, nothing else mattered much. Might have been a bit low, but he seemed to get him right at the knee. The old D-linemen used to have to jump over blocks like that.

Times have sure changed! :lol:

Rastak
12-08-2008, 03:34 PM
I think alot of players wouldn't be running that hard on a play that long gone. The Lions OL said he didn't know who he was, just someone running hard and tried to throw a block.

Allen thought his knee was blown but after some of the pain went away, threw on a brace and collected two sacks as he finished the game.

Kiwon
12-08-2008, 03:35 PM
Nasty block, premeditated, but illegal?

But, hey, in today's arbitrary NFL whatshisface will get fined and maybe suspended. On the NFL Network, Deion Sanders said that this type of block should be illegal and worthy of a fine.

It has been decreed.

the_idle_threat
12-08-2008, 03:35 PM
Players from the '60s and '70s would laugh at a current day player complaining about that block. Allen was running in the general direction of the blocker, the blocker's head was in front so it wasn't a "clip" under the old interpretation. As long as you got your helmet in front, nothing else mattered much. Might have been a bit low, but he seemed to get him right at the knee. The old D-linemen used to have to jump over blocks like that.

Back then. even interior linemen were a bit smaller and more athletic, as I understand. Now that we've moved to the paradigm of 350 pound man-mountains in the interior line, it seems the rules have changed essentially to protect them. I wonder how long an Albert Haynesworth or a Vince Wilfork would have lasted in the old days? Can you see Gravy Jackson jumping over a block like that? Some of these guys might have trouble jumping over a tootsie roll. :lol: Of course, Jared Allen can't claim this excuse ...

Rastak
12-08-2008, 03:38 PM

But, hey, in today's arbitrary NFL whatshisface will get fined and maybe suspended. On the NFL Network, Deion Sanders said that this type of block should be illegal and worthy of a fine.

It has been decreed.

No way it was premediated, the dude was on the ground, saw a player running full bore and he just threw himself at the closest knee.

Partial
12-08-2008, 03:40 PM
Allen is the kind of fiery player we need. Remember last year when Brady Pop dropped a mother fucker after he looked at Barnett cross wise? I believe it was Plax.

edit: Can't find it on youtube, actually wasn't it cullen jenks who was looked at cross wise

SkinBasket
12-08-2008, 03:47 PM
Yeah, if there's one thing we need, it's more Poppingas and personal fouls. Goddamn man, did you shit your brain out your butthole yesterday or what?

Kiwon
12-08-2008, 04:00 PM

It has been decreed.

No way it was premediated, the dude was on the ground, saw a player running full bore and he just threw himself at the closest knee.

What I mean is that he waited for him. I think he knew exactly who he was blocking. That makes it premeditated to me.

In other words, I don't believe he was just reacting and would have blocked just anyone in the same way.

I might be wrong, but I think he saw #69 coming his way and did his thing.

channtheman
12-08-2008, 04:07 PM
I'm not surpised somebody took at a shot at him. It was cheap but if there is one person who has no place to complain about cheap shots, it's Allen. Karma is a bitch.

That's what I was thinking. Allen has thrown his fair share of cheap shots and I don't know anyone who didn't see this coming.

Partial
12-08-2008, 04:30 PM
Yeah, if there's one thing we need, it's more Poppingas and personal fouls. Goddamn man, did you shit your brain out your butthole yesterday or what?

That was one of the turning points of the season last year where I knew we'd be good. We had a team versus a group of individuals like we have now. Who did he shove over?

bobblehead
12-08-2008, 04:49 PM
I had zero problem with the block. Allen was in backside pursuit of the QB, the guy who blocked him had been knocked down, but was IN FRONT of allen. What was he supposed to do, watch allen pursue and make a play?? Hell no, he gets paid to play til the whistle so he chop blocked him...allen wasn't engaged with anyone at the time and if he had LOOKED he would have seen the blocker and taken steps to avoid it.

Now if he guy was intentionally trying to hurt him it would be cheap, but I just didn't see it that way. Last year Harris dove over a guy and hit Peterson in the knee...was that cheap, no, Harris gets paid to make a tackle anyway he can. This guy gets paid to protect his QB and while I'm sure he would have rather hit Allen in the face he wasn't in position to do that so he blocked him the only way he could.

DonHutson
12-08-2008, 05:00 PM
Culpepper still had the ball in his hand. As Bobblehead said, some kind of block had to be thrown there. He hit him from the side, which is pretty questionable. But I would chalk it up to a miscalculation of the physics involved more so than anything overtly malicious.

I also don't like to see guys get hurt. All of that said, if anyone had it coming it's Mr. Fifteen K per Week in fines, Jared Allen. If the marginal fines have no impact, and obviously they don't, then maybe someone taking his knees out will.

I thought his hypocritical overreaction was pretty funny. Cry me a river, Jared.

:cry:

Rastak
12-08-2008, 07:00 PM
I had zero problem with the block. Allen was in backside pursuit of the QB, the guy who blocked him had been knocked down, but was IN FRONT of allen. What was he supposed to do, watch allen pursue and make a play?? Hell no, he gets paid to play til the whistle so he chop blocked him...allen wasn't engaged with anyone at the time and if he had LOOKED he would have seen the blocker and taken steps to avoid it.

Now if he guy was intentionally trying to hurt him it would be cheap, but I just didn't see it that way. Last year Harris dove over a guy and hit Peterson in the knee...was that cheap, no, Harris gets paid to make a tackle anyway he can. This guy gets paid to protect his QB and while I'm sure he would have rather hit Allen in the face he wasn't in position to do that so he blocked him the only way he could.

You'd be surprised at how many people whine about legal blocks. I thought it was behind the play and not necessary but legal. Warren Sapp/Chad Clifton being the prime example. The block on Allen was totally legal, so was Sapp's but the crying reached a level I never would have believed.

Partial
12-08-2008, 07:06 PM

You hit him in the chest then or jump in front of him. That's cheap to deliberately dive at his legs, especially with such force.

Pacopete4
12-08-2008, 08:12 PM

Agreed... I'm a younin but the rules don't say this is illegal.. its just the pussies now a days who see this as a problem.

RashanGary
12-08-2008, 08:13 PM
Allen should have been paying attn. I never whined about his hits and I won't whine about this one either. QB's have to protect themselves and so should dlineman, olineman, recievers, linebackers, defensive backs, running backs and anyone else who steps on the field.

The only position I don't think should be touched at all is punters and kickers. They are too vulnerable with what they're asked to do.

Rastak
12-08-2008, 08:18 PM
Allen should have been paying attn. I never whined about his hits and I won't whine about this one either. QB's have to protect themselves and so should dlineman, olineman, recievers, linebackers, defensive backs, running backs and anyone else who steps on the field.

The only position I don't think should be touched at all is punters and kickers. They are too vulnerable with what they're asked to do.

Vikings punter Chris Kluwe got completely Sapp'ed the game before. I saw that and said damn, gotta watch where you are.

I still think it's a bit lame to go for a guys knee. Yes, I thought Allen's play on Schaub was lame.

Deputy Nutz
12-08-2008, 08:18 PM
That is a clean play. He got his helmet in front of the knees, Allen was inside of the tackle box, and he was not engaged with another blocker at the time of the block.

BobDobbs
12-08-2008, 08:27 PM
It looked like it might be a cheap shot, but there was also no way the Olineman was going to be able to get off his feet in time. he's got to hit him low to block him. Now whether you hit him him the knee intentionally is the question. It looked dirty to me, but it wasn't a Charles Martin.

I read a quote from Jared Allen after the game where he said,"Knees are sacred in this league." He must've skipped church the day they played the Texans.

Rastak
12-08-2008, 08:28 PM
It looked like it might be a cheap shot, but there was also no way the Olineman was going to be able to get off his feet in time. he's got to hit him low to block him. Now whether you hit him him the knee intentionally is the question. It looked dirty to me, but it wasn't a Charles Martin.

I read a quote from Jared Allen after the game where he said,"Knees are sacred in this league." He must've skipped church the day they played the Texans.

Exactly.

SMACKTALKIE
12-08-2008, 10:19 PM
It seemed to make him better, he came back in and had five tackles, two sacks, three tackles for a loss, two quarterback hurries and one forced fumble.

He is one tough SOB, and still made a major impact on the game.

bobblehead
12-09-2008, 12:31 AM

You'd be surprised at how many people whine about legal blocks. I thought it was behind the play and not necessary but legal. Warren Sapp/Chad Clifton being the prime example. The block on Allen was totally legal, so was Sapp's but the crying reached a level I never would have believed.

Clifton wasn't in pursuit, he gave up on the play. That being said he shouldn't have and sapps hit was legal. If he wasn't an asshat about it later there would be no hard feelings.

The blocker on the ground didn't know if the block was necessary, all he saw was JA charging in the direction of his QB.

bobblehead
12-09-2008, 12:32 AM

You hit him in the chest then or jump in front of him. That's cheap to deliberately dive at his legs, especially with such force.

The dude was already on the ground, he crawled in front of him. Is it cheap when a RB dives low on a charging DE?

Partial
12-09-2008, 02:01 AM
Not sure. He hit him from the side where the knee is weak. Most RB collisions are head on and they know its coming. It looks very deliberate to me.

cpk1994
12-09-2008, 08:02 AM
I'm not surpised somebody took at a shot at him. It was cheap but if there is one person who has no place to complain about cheap shots, it's Allen. Karma is a bitch.This. That piece of crap runs his mouth and cheap shots others. He deserves what he gets.

Dabaddestbear
12-09-2008, 08:58 AM

Backside play, straight at the knee....definately cheap. Now he knows hos Schaub felt. I thought that play on Schaub was pretty damn cheap also.
Not Allen? Nooooo, not the same one that went at Ortons injured ankle after the ball was released? Say it aint so? :roll:

sharpe1027
12-09-2008, 09:55 AM
Not sure. He hit him from the side where the knee is weak. Most RB collisions are head on and they know its coming. It looks very deliberate to me.

It was a deliberate attempt to take him out at the legs. I thought his head was in front of the knee, not the side, so it is tough to say with any confidence that he deliberately tried to take out a knee.

THe blocker was on all fours and basically did the only thing he could to get in front of Allen. I think the reason it looks bad was that Allen had no idea that the blocker was there and had no oppurtunity to jump or otherwise avoid the block. It was a blindside hit for Allen, but only becasue the circumstances of the play had Allen running sidewise across the field.

dissident94
12-09-2008, 04:02 PM
I was watching the game since I have NFL ticket and I believe Green Bay was in commercial. But anyway totally legal block. The lineman did his job in slowing down the defender in pursuit of the QB. Didn't see anythign wrong with it.

Rastak
12-09-2008, 05:27 PM
I was watching the game since I have NFL ticket and I believe Green Bay was in commercial. But anyway totally legal block. The lineman did his job in slowing down the defender in pursuit of the QB. Didn't see anythign wrong with it.

This was discussed ad naseum on NFL radio....wife was in the store and I was listening. Nobody liked the block, mainly because the play was 20 yards away.

It was legal though, just completely un-necessary. Like Sapp/Clifton, playw as gone and that wasn't going to do a damn thing.

The only guy who didn't have anything negative to say was when they interviewed Viking center Matt Birk who said the guy saw someone running hard and only had a split second to decide what to do and elected to try and slow him down.

Freak Out
12-09-2008, 05:39 PM

Clifton never cried about it and he was taken out hard....Allen seems to be screaming and crying like a little girl.

Rastak
12-09-2008, 05:50 PM

Clifton never cried about it and he was taken out hard....Allen seems to be screaming and crying like a little girl.

I think he was either crying all the way to the bank or to celebrate yet another 2 sack game.

:lol:

Freak Out
12-09-2008, 05:59 PM

I think he was either crying all the way to the bank or to celebrate yet another 2 sack game.

A win is a win even against the lions :lol: and I'm sure his game check is pretty significant. What is he paid anyway?

Rastak
12-09-2008, 06:07 PM

A win is a win even against the lions :lol: and I'm sure his game check is pretty significant. What is he paid anyway?

Not sure but it's lots and lots. I believe he's the top paid defensive player for now. He's worth every penny from what I've seen. He motivates the entire defense. Birk called him a human can of red bull. He also seems to get stronger in the 4th quarter. I am guessing that's actually other guys getting tired faster.