PDA

View Full Version : Whatever Happened to Aaron Rouse?

Fritz
12-09-2008, 06:50 AM
Last year when Bigby started slowly, and again this year when Bigby was playing hurt, a lot of drums were beating on this site to start Aaron Rouse. Yet according to the JSO, the coaches are reluctant to start the guy - in his second year now, with a starter ahead of him out and the alternative being to switch your best corner to safety instead of starting Rouse.

What happened to Rouse? What happened to the Rouse lovers, too?

Bretsky
12-09-2008, 08:22 AM
I've never been that on board with Rouse or Bigby for that matter. They can both put on a huge lick, and have potential to get to the QB or blow up a run play and make the opposition remember them. But I don't have much faith in either as assignment sure or quality cover guys.

KYPack
12-09-2008, 08:55 AM
It's a double whammy. Both guys can use the experience, but are too dinged to play.

We've got to get CWood out of there. He's a great player, but S puts him one play from ending his career.

Neither Bigby or Rouse are assignment sure. They are peekers, Rouse is a little worse at that than Bigby. The only way to break that is scream at 'em in practice, then throw 'em into games and eventually let 'em suffer when they get burned.

I really think Rouse has the high ceiling to be our long term answer. He peeks because of inexperience. Bigby really has to do it to get into position to make plays. If they were both healthy, I'd play Rouse and let him get blooded.

Patler
12-09-2008, 08:59 AM
It's a double whammy. Both guys can use the experience, but are too dinged to play.

We've got to get CWood out of there. He's a great player, but S puts him one play from ending his career.

Neither Bigby or Rouse are assignment sure. They are peekers, Rouse is a little worse at that than Bigby. The only way to break that is scream at 'em in practice, then throw 'em into games and eventually let 'em suffer when they get burned.

I really think Rouse has the high ceiling to be our long term answer. He peeks because of inexperience. Bigby really has to do it to get into position to make plays. If they were both healthy, I'd play Rouse and let him get blooded.

With this season where it is, now is the time to throw Rouse in there.

sharpe1027
12-09-2008, 09:48 AM

I haven't seen enough range out of Rouse. It seems that too many times he is late getting over to help out a CB deep. Maybe that is just him getting a late break or getting caught peeking, but he looks slow and stiff to me.

Fritz
12-09-2008, 11:53 AM
I'm a Bigby fan myself. He makes things happen and I think he was unhealthy this year. I see big things from him next year if he stays healthy.

Bretsky
12-09-2008, 12:00 PM
I'm a Bigby fan myself. He makes things happen and I think he was unhealthy this year. I see big things from him next year if he stays healthy.

I may be selling him short, but Bigby kind of reminds me of Chuck Cecil with a little more speed.

bobblehead
12-09-2008, 12:02 PM

I second that, I like bigby long term, he was very hurt this year and young guys who are not assignment sure can't afford to miss all the practice time that both bigby and rouse missed this year. I think rouse will be a very good backup/avg. starter.

Anyone besides me miss NFL europe? Without that league we would never have developed ruvell, Jenkins, or bigby. The packers seemed to use that league as well as anyone in the NFL.

Freak Out
12-09-2008, 12:06 PM

No doubt about it.....get him out there and Woodson back where he belongs for now. Lets see if he has what it takes to make the move to starter.

retailguy
12-09-2008, 12:12 PM

I may be selling him short, but Bigby kind of reminds me of Chuck Cecil with a little more speed.

I've never really been a fan of Bigby. Big hits, followed by crummy coverage. I think 'ole Chuck was a better player, by far. Thats not saying too much.

While I enjoy the TV value of a big hit, I'd give it up in a hearbeat for "Leroy Butler lite".... :(

Fritz
12-09-2008, 12:38 PM

No doubt about it.....get him out there and Woodson back where he belongs for now. Lets see if he has what it takes to make the move to starter.

But what if putting Woodson at safety is a way to give T. Williams a tryout as next year's starting corner, across from Woodson?

Bretsky
12-09-2008, 12:41 PM

But what if putting Woodson at safety is a way to give T. Williams a tryout as next year's starting corner, across from Woodson?

It would be terribly disappointing to not see Al Harris as a Packer next year; he was amazing against Andre Johnson. In today's NFL each team should have three starting caliber CB's on their roster and that is one strength that we have.

bobblehead
12-09-2008, 12:41 PM

Pretty sure that even thru this abomination Harris has given up 3 receptions since returning...why are people so quick to want him on the bench?

sheepshead
12-09-2008, 01:00 PM
We have to be the only "3 Aaron Team" in football.

Freak Out
12-09-2008, 01:08 PM

I thought Williams had pretty much secured that spot as long as he stays healthy? He seemed to do pretty well when Harris was out.

arcilite
12-09-2008, 01:37 PM
I love Aaron Rouse. But thats mainly because I love Virginia Tech

chain_gang
12-09-2008, 01:38 PM
A nice safety via the draft would be nice to pair up with Nick Collins.

Enter Taylor Mays, Safety from USC. This guy should be a impact player, He's huge for a safety at 6'3 230, but he flat out fly. He was reportedly timed at 4.25 not once but twice, once when he was a freshman, and once in this spring this year. Pete Carroll says he is fastest player on the whole USC roster, and we know what kind of speed USC has on their team. If he comes out this year he should be a top 15 pick. Simply put he's a freak. He may not have a INT this year, but no team dares to throw over the deep middle against USC. If you get a chance to watch Penn State vs. USC, keep an eye on him. He's comparable to the Late Sean Taylor, but with more freakish athletic ability.

Of course now that I brought him up, we have no shot at drafting him. I know we need d-line help, but this guy should be an impact player, and honestly him and Collins could make one of the best Safety combos for many years.

Bossman641
12-09-2008, 01:45 PM
I dunno if it's his injury or what, but whenever I've seen Rouse in the past few games he looks really slow. He was never a burner to begin with, but I've got to guess the injury has robbed him of alot of his speed, and that's why the coaches have been reluctant to put him back in.

Guiness
12-09-2008, 01:52 PM

I would also like to see Rouse out there getting some experience...but you can't discount the playing time TWill is getting.

We've got CW who's willing to move to safety, allowing TWill to get minutes. It's a matter of putting your best players on the field, and having Harris, CW and TWill out there does that for us.

What worries me more is that Bush seems to be getting the nickle minutes over Rouse.

Cheesehead Craig
12-09-2008, 02:46 PM
Rouse is a run stopping S who can just run forward. Doesn't seem to have any fluidity to his movements and I haven't seen much agility out of the guy.

I think he was picked to be a project and so far the project isn't working very well.

Joemailman
12-09-2008, 05:24 PM
Rouse played well last year filling in for Collins. U think he's better at free safety than strong. He has straight away speed (at least when healthy), but not agility. The knock on him coming out of college was that he was "stiff". He probably would have been picked in round 1-2 otherwise.

rbaloha1
12-09-2008, 08:17 PM
[quote="chain_gang"]A nice safety via the draft would be nice to pair up with Nick Collins.

Enter Taylor Mays, Safety from USC. This guy should be a impact player, quote]

Agreed. AR with speed. Move up to get this dude.

rbaloha1
12-09-2008, 08:19 PM
Rouse is stiff and does not change directions well. Improving on taking the correct angles.

Agreed. Bigby is the long term answer if Taylor Mays is not selected.

Fritz
12-09-2008, 08:25 PM

Pretty sure that even thru this abomination Harris has given up 3 receptions since returning...why are people so quick to want him on the bench?

Bretsky and Bobblehead - My remark was not meant to suggest I wanted Al Harris gone or on the bench. I was simply speculating as to why the team might be moving Woodson instead of seeing if Rouse can play.

Bretsky
12-09-2008, 08:28 PM

Bretsky and Bobblehead - My remark was not meant to suggest I wanted Al Harris gone or on the bench. I was simply speculating as to why the team might be moving Woodson instead of seeing if Rouse can play.

Makes sense; it actually reminded me a comment I might have made about TT thinking he can make the team younger again :lol:

Fritz
12-10-2008, 06:55 AM
We can honestly and fairly say that Ted likes young men.