PDA

View Full Version : Illinois Governor rod blagojevich taken into custody

sheepshead
12-09-2008, 08:17 AM
Another fine Illinois Politician in shackles. This is where your new president comes from. Trib is the only one reporting it so far.

sheepshead
12-09-2008, 08:52 AM
Holy Cow, looks like he was trying to sell Barry's senate seat, among other things.

sheepshead
12-09-2008, 09:12 AM
"That's not the Rod Blagojevich I know"

Barry Obama

Kiwon
12-09-2008, 09:13 AM
:whist: "Chi-ca-go, Chi-ca-go, it's my kind of town....."

Note to self: If you are going to sell a U.S. Senate seat for cash, avoid wire taps and learn enough sign language to say,

"I'm going to keep this Senate option for me a real possibility, you know, and therefore I can drive a hard bargain." He added later that the seat "is a [expletive] valuable thing, you just don't give it away for nothing."

Patler
12-09-2008, 09:56 AM
Governors and state officials all over the country have been investigated, tried and even convicted for a lot unethical dealings, but having done it to the extreme warranting being arrested and held by the FBI is pretty impressive! :lol:

Freak Out
12-09-2008, 11:38 AM
This is just to funny.....not only is this guy a complete moron but a very corrupt one as well. Classic American politics.

digitaldean
12-09-2008, 12:09 PM
Only thing left would've been for him to have some cash stashed in his freezer like the Congressman from Louisiana who just got voted out.

Even MORE ironic, Blago was elected in right after the previous gov. had a slew of corruption issues.

Stupid is as stupid does...

bobblehead
12-09-2008, 12:56 PM
Holy Cow, looks like he was trying to sell Barry's senate seat, among other things.

Idiot...that was barry's seat to sell and dammit, if he was trying to sell it instead he got what he deserved.

BallHawk
12-09-2008, 03:39 PM
"That's not the Rod Blagojevich I know"

Barry Obama

In b4 Reductio ad Obamaum

Kiwon
12-09-2008, 03:50 PM
12/9/08

Obama: “I had no contact with the governor or his office and so I was not aware of what was happening. ”

11/23/08

David Axelrod said, "I know he's (Obama) talked to the governor and there are a whole range of names many of which have surfaced, and I think he has a fondness for a lot of them."

So who is lying? (And, yes, the context is who would fill his vacant Senate seat.)

Bossman641
12-09-2008, 04:23 PM
Blagojevich is a joke. IL politics are a mess.

Joemailman
12-09-2008, 05:18 PM
Maybe he'll be able to share a cell with the previous Illinois governor. At least corruption in Illinois is practiced in a bipartisan manner. I left Illinois in 1996, and don't miss it a bit.

Here's a linl to a pretty good article . Even by Illinois standards, this Gov sounds pretty bad. http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/B/BLAGOJEVICH_CORRUPTION_PROBE?SITE=WIMIL&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Kiwon
12-09-2008, 05:26 PM
This stuff is Comedy Central. :)

Open the pdf file and then do a search on the "F-word"

The good governor and his lovely wife have quite the colorful vocabulary.

http://www.foxnews.com/projects/pdf/rrb_-jh_FINAL_complaint_cover_and_aff.pdf

arcilite
12-09-2008, 05:48 PM
Blago wanted to shake down Warren Buffett too. So to recap, the Governor tried to get money out the President-Elect, one of the biggest newspaper companies in the world, and the richest man in the world.

BallHawk
12-09-2008, 05:50 PM
This stuff is Comedy Central. :)

Open the pdf file and then do a search on the "F-word"

The good governor and his lovely wife have quite the colorful vocabulary.

http://www.foxnews.com/projects/pdf/rrb_-jh_FINAL_complaint_cover_and_aff.pdf

How nice of him to refer to our President-Elect as a motherf*cker.

What are the chances he actually goes to jail for this?

DonHutson
12-09-2008, 07:23 PM
What are the chances he actually goes to jail for this?

I would say excellent. It's all on tape. And I don't think a presidential pardon will be forthcoming from Mr. Obama.

Good riddance. I lived in Illinois when he first ran for Gov. I typically vote Democrat, but I didn't vote for him. He smelled like a crook from the start.

texaspackerbacker
12-09-2008, 08:48 PM
There's an article on Yahoo that three former Illinois governors since the late sixties have served time in prison. I think this guy is gonna make it four.

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2008/dec/09/arrest-another-chapter-in-corrupt-ill-history/

What's really shocking is that at least one of them was NOT a Democrat.

swede
12-09-2008, 09:30 PM
Thank God for the 100 miles that separate me from that ridiculous stain on America that is Illinois, its evil jewel Chicago, and the union bosses and criminals that run the place.

Phwah! I spit on them and the machinations that give us Tony Rezko, Jeremiah Wright, William Ayers, and Blagojevich. It's a good thing our next President doesn't associate with people like that.

sheepshead
12-10-2008, 08:35 AM
Two words: Bill Clinton.

Blago idolized Clinton. Bill's flying around, raising millions ,getting laid, his wife is almost president and we let him off the hook. Blago sees Bill getting away with a felony and blago thinks he's on the same path. This is what we get for letting Bill Clinton get away with a felony and idolizing the guy to this day.

SkinBasket
12-10-2008, 09:17 AM
All I got to say is that, politically, this is exactly where our pres elect is coming from. Gosh, I'm excited about change we can believe in.

Maybe it was Blagojevich's idea of economic stimulus.

th87
12-10-2008, 11:01 AM
All I got to say is that, politically, this is exactly where our pres elect is coming from. Gosh, I'm excited about change we can believe in.

Dahmer's from Wisconsin. So are you! :shock:

The lengths people will go to.

sheepshead
12-10-2008, 11:09 AM
It's not geography, believe me. These two are thick as thieves. Barry's been smart enough not to engage in this since he's been running for president for 4 years. But his history is right in the middle of this crap.

look !! The press NOW gets it??

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081210/ap_on_go_pr_wh/obama_s_associations

SkinBasket
12-10-2008, 12:03 PM

To make poor analogies? You had a chance to stop yourself before pressing submit, but didn't. Maybe if you consider what length you're going to next time, you could save a little face.

swede
12-10-2008, 12:21 PM
Jesse Jackson, Jr.--the beneficiary of a Budweiser distributorship after daddy JJ threatened Bud boycotts by black beer buyers--is being pointed to as being the REAL "Candidate number 5" and the $500,000 bidder to Blogo's campaign fund by that fountain of outlandish right-wing journalism, ABC.

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/ConductUnbecoming/story?id=6431739&page=1

I TOLD you politics would be more fun now that we conservatives are out and the "good guys" are in. Pass the popcorn.

texaspackerbacker
12-10-2008, 12:51 PM

Bringing up Dahmer is BAD TASTE. :lol:

sheepshead
12-10-2008, 01:36 PM
Ill. governor meeting with Obama today
By Carol Sowers
Wednesday, November 05, 2008 at 10:39 a.m.

CHICAGO, ILL. -- Now that Barack Obama will be moving to the White House, his seat in the U.S. Senate representing Illinois will have to be filled.

That's one of Obama's first priorities today.

He's meeting with Governor Rod Blagojevich this afternoon in Chicago to discuss it.

Illinois law states that the governor chooses that replacement.

There's already been speculation about his selection...from Congressman Jesse Jackson, Jr. of Chicago's south side who co-chaired Obama's presidential campaign, to recently-retired state senate president Emil Jones, to the governor himself.

It's likely the governor will make his decision quickly so the new senator will get some seniority before newly-elected senators take office in January.

Part of the timing depends on when Obama officially vacates his senate seat.

Kiwon
12-10-2008, 01:49 PM

:five:

sheepshead
12-10-2008, 01:54 PM
Mike Ditka for Illinois Senate
9 12 2008

As 1,001 conservative bloggers all revel in Blagofreude, it begs the question…just what the heck happens to BAM’s open IL Senate seat? Dick Durbin, the other IL Senator, suggests a special election. He’s afraid if the current Governor appointed someone it would reek of Chicago politics.

I’ve been asking around and put a few calls in to see if Illinois has a Republican party to field a candidate, and while I can’t confirm a party I do know of at least one Illinois Republican…Mike Ditka.

They tried to talk Ditka into running in 2004 against a young, unknown state senator with a funny name. He was the perfect pick because seriously, who can beat Ditka? Maybe God, but it would be close. Sadly, Ditka said no. Alan Keyes took his spot. You know how the rest goes from there.

Mike Ditka, you owe us.

LP
12-10-2008, 02:01 PM
[quote="texaspackerbacker"]There's an article on Yahoo that three former Illinois governors since the late sixties have served time in prison. I think this guy is gonna make it four.

Just following a time honored tradition in the State of Illinois. :lol:

Harlan Huckleby
12-10-2008, 03:14 PM
Jesse Jackson, Jr

This is getting juicy now. :lol:

yesterday when I first heard about the story, I went to NYTimes.com to get the scoop. I don't know Blagodonanovakavitch from Adam, so I wanted to know what party he was from. No mention on front page, no mention in rest of front story. I click on another article, no mention. In third article, they report he is a Democrat. :lol: God Bless the NYT.

This story is not the stuff of Larry Craig's Wide Stance or Elliot Spitzer's bondage ropes, but it will provide some entertainment to help us through the dark winter days.

arcilite
12-10-2008, 03:24 PM
I hate jesse jackson. I want to see him in jail

sheepshead
12-10-2008, 03:37 PM
I think Jesse Jr's political career is over.

swede
12-10-2008, 03:52 PM
This story is not the stuff of Larry Craig's Wide Stance...

I saw in SI where some waggish organization was handing out Larry Craig "bobblefeet" dolls.

Harlan Huckleby
12-10-2008, 03:52 PM
Bobby Rush, a black Representative from Illinois, made news three days ago with this quote:

“With the resignation of President-elect Obama, we now have no African American in the United States Senate, and we believe it will be a national disgrace to not have this seat filled by one of the many capable African American Illinois politicians."

http://www.chicagodefender.com/article-2611-cong-bobby-rush-urges-governor-to-choose-black-senate-replacement.html

I found this position offensive. Where is the gay Senator? The athiest Senator? Any Mexicans up there - I demand an appointment!

Rush is making shocked-shocked statement of outrage today, but it sure doesn't look good.

BTW, I think Jessie Jackson is a good man. Don't know anything about his kid.

Harlan Huckleby
12-10-2008, 03:55 PM
I think Jesse Jr's political career is over.

yep, he's as dead as Marion Barry on crack. Except Marion got reelected.

sheepshead
12-10-2008, 04:00 PM
Bobby Rush, a black Representative from Illinois, made news three days ago with this quote:

“With the resignation of President-elect Obama, we now have no African American in the United States Senate, and we believe it will be a national disgrace to not have this seat filled by one of the many capable African American Illinois politicians."

http://www.chicagodefender.com/article-2611-cong-bobby-rush-urges-governor-to-choose-black-senate-replacement.html

I found this position offensive. Where is the gay Senator? The athiest Senator? Any Mexicans up there - I demand an appointment!

Rush is making shocked-shocked statement of outrage today, but it sure doesn't look good.

Racist as the day's long. Appointment based solely on the color of the persons skin. For the life of me, I cant figure out why we cant vote these pukes out of office.

BallHawk
12-10-2008, 04:42 PM
By Carol Sowers

Obama meets with the governor to help decide who will replace his job. What's the big deal?

Don't tell me you're trying to prove a point with this.......

I know you are, but please.......nevermind. It's useless.

SkinBasket
12-10-2008, 04:50 PM
By Carol Sowers

Obama meets with the governor to help decide who will replace his job. What's the big deal?

Except that the "deciding process" was who would pay the most cash. I'm sure our beloved president elect wasn't in on this particular deal, but it begs the question of what they did talk about.

Patler
12-10-2008, 04:51 PM
By Carol Sowers

I think the point was that yesterday, when the gov was arrested, Obama denied discussing the appointment with him. Yet, he met with the gov a couple weeks ago to do just that.

sheepshead
12-10-2008, 04:51 PM
By Carol Sowers

Obama said he hasnt spoken to the governor about who will replace him.

texaspackerbacker
12-10-2008, 09:53 PM

Where is the gay senator? Maybe Idaho? Where is the Mexican senator? How about Colorado? Where is the atheist senator? Are you kidding? Out of 58 or so Dems, I'd be surprised if there was less than 30 or 40 atheists.

I'm not saying they should appoint a black senator, although an excellent choice would be the black who finished second to Obama when he was elected.

swede
12-10-2008, 10:02 PM
By Carol Sowers

Obama said he hasnt spoken to the governor about who will replace him.

I know liberals are confused about why we make a deal of this. After all, the Annointed One is always without sin. The HEAD OF HIS TRANSITION TEAM SAID THAT OBAMA MET WITH THE GOVERNOR, but OBAMA SAID HE DID NOT MEET WITH THE GOVERNOR.

Obama is so used to getting away with outrageous lies that he's started to do it automatically. Meanwhile, Obama has no reason to lie about meeting with the Governor anyway. The governor called him a "m---------er" for not helping him get a big payday. That's political cover enough.

sheepshead
12-11-2008, 07:31 AM
http://ace.mu.nu/

Harlan Huckleby
12-11-2008, 10:07 AM
I'm not saying they should appoint a black senator, although an excellent choice would be the black who finished second to Obama when he was elected.

:lol: That's a good one, I bet you didn't think of this yourself.

texaspackerbacker
12-11-2008, 10:11 PM

Aw Harlan, that's insulting. EVERYTHING I post--except for a few rare occasions where I say otherwise--comes straight from my own head.

I'd give you a compliment despite your insult for me. I think the little joke (although in fact, I'm really serious about it) went right over the heads of everybody in hear but you. Nice catch.

DonHutson
12-12-2008, 07:21 PM
I'd give you a compliment despite your insult for me. I think the little joke (although in fact, I'm really serious about it) went right over the heads of everybody in hear but you. Nice catch.

That senate race was the joke. The Republicans would've been better off with the guy they actually nominated. He got brought down in a sex scandal where he just wanted to have sex with his own wife. Weird sex, maybe, but still... that had to be a first.

Anyway, Alan Keyes was certainly an ironic choice for a party that was waving the white flag in that race.

bobblehead
12-13-2008, 12:10 AM

As long as you aren't a jew in himey town who's food he spit in.

bobblehead
12-13-2008, 12:13 AM

Aw Harlan, that's insulting. EVERYTHING I post--except for a few rare occasions where I say otherwise--comes straight from my own head.

Tex, please. Some of knew of keyes when he ran for president in 1996 and were very aware of his running against obama.

texaspackerbacker
12-13-2008, 08:58 AM
I still can't see how people could vote for a piece of crap like Obama over somebody like Keyes who stands for and exemplefies everything that's good in America.

Badgerinmaine
12-13-2008, 11:33 AM

Where is the gay senator? Maybe Idaho? Where is the Mexican senator? How about Colorado? Where is the atheist senator? Are you kidding? Out of 58 or so Dems, I'd be surprised if there was less than 30 or 40 atheists.

There have been rumors about a variety of senators and whether or not they are gay (even aside from Larry Craig); certainly the House has gays and lesbians like Barney Frank and Tammy Baldwin (Tammy was a year ahead of me at Madison West). Senator Ken Salazar from Colorado is indeed Mexican-American; there are also at least two senators (Robert Menendez of New Jersey and Mel Martinez of Florida) who are children of Cuban immigrants. I don't know of any atheist senators; however, Pete Stark, a Democrat in the House from California, became the first member in the history of Congress to announce that he was an atheist recently. I doubt thei rnumbers are as high as TPB suggests, but I would bet there might be at least a few agnostics in there. Women are still underrepresented in the Senate--I believe there are now 16 women there out of 100--but that's up dramatically from the early 1990s when there were two.

Blacks are roughly 12% of the population of the US, but with Obama out would have zero senators. Since the end of Reconstruction, there has been a grand total of three: Edward Brooke (Republican from Mass., knocked out of office by Paul Tsongas), and Carole Moseley-Braun and Barack Obama from Illinois. That's it. I think blacks have as good of a claim on being underrepresented in the Senate as anybody. That said, race shouldn't the the sole criterion for selecting a senator. However, representation isn't totally about ideology, either.