PDA

View Full Version : Rodgers Wins Pac-10 Offensive Player of Year Award

oregonpackfan
12-09-2008, 09:53 AM
Jacquizz Rodgers, true freshman running back for the Oregon State Beavers, was awarded the Pac-10 Offensive Player of The Year Award.

Not only in this an incredible award for a true freshman, but it is amazing given Rodgers' story.

In a previous thread, I mentioned that despite Rodgers setting many Texas high school rushing records, no Big 12 school tried to recruit him. In fact, Oregon State was the only Division I school to offer him a scholarship.

Rodgers is just 5' 7" tall. Despite being powerfully built at 190 pounds, the Big 12 schools believed he was too short to be successful at the Division I level.

Jacquizz was attracted to Oregon State because his older brother, James, had excelled last year as a true freshmen. James, at 5' 8", is 1 inch taller than Jacquizz. The coaches moved James to wide receiver and kick returner to make room for Jacquizz to start as tailback.

If you want to see Jacquizz Rodgers play for yourself, the Beavers are playing Pittsburgh in the Sun Bowl on Dec. 31st. James will not be able to play because he broke his collarbone during the last game of the season(The "Civil War" game between Oregon State and Oregon).

http://www.oregonlive.com/beaversfootball/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/sports/1228796716218950.xml&coll=7