PDA

View Full Version : What if Justin Harrell had been a good pick?

CaliforniaCheez
12-09-2008, 02:20 PM
If Harrell had been a good pick:

-He would be on the field.

-Trading Corey Williams would not hurt so much.

-Lament about the Packers not drafted Brady Quinn would have disappered, they would not have had to gamble on rookie back ups at QB, and they might have had a better negotiation with Aaron Rodgers.

They might not have given up so many rushing yards.

They might have more QB pressures.

KGB might have been cut sooner so his full salary wasn't paid or he might have been given more time to heal (Montgomery played DT more than DE early)

The Packers would have had more competition in training camp at DT.

The Packers might have been competitive in the NFC, instead of being one of the worst NFC teams.

It would have been easier to replace Cole (whose contract lasts 3 more games), Jolly and Pickett (whose contracts expire next season).

__________________________________________________ __________________

The Packers need 3 good quality DT's this off season. One to fill a gap on the roster, one to replace Cole, one to replace Harrell.

Next offseason the Packers will need 3 good quality DT's to replace Pickett, Jolly, and beat out one of the lesser guys from the previous year or serve as injury replacement.

Ted is forced to draft for need.

sheepshead
12-09-2008, 02:22 PM
:roll:

Fritz
12-09-2008, 08:28 PM
Well, yeah.

I still wonder what wudda happened if Brent Fullwood had been a good pick.

TennesseePackerBacker
12-09-2008, 08:40 PM
What if Jamaal Reynolds would've been a great pick? Maybe we wouldve never drafted Kampy?

Guiness
12-09-2008, 08:49 PM
*shrug* who knows, of course

But I can't help but agree somewhat with cc - if Harell had panned out a little more, prospects would be different right now. He might yet, but not having him there for us sure hurt this year.

channtheman
12-09-2008, 08:54 PM
Well, he didn't so I don't know what to say. I wonder though, do we give him one last year to prove his worth? If he comes back next year with no injuries and he has a decent year is he a bust? Obviously if he gets hurt again he needs to go.

bobblehead
12-09-2008, 11:05 PM
We can't really be sure he isn't a good pick yet.

Fritz
12-10-2008, 06:46 AM
Safeties, offensive linemen and quarterbacks seem to take the longest - like about three years, generally. Wide receivers take maybe two years. Defensive linemen seem to be able to come in and make an impact a bit sooner, though Haynesworth took a bit of time to make his mark (excluding the mark he left on the side of that one player's face...).

I'd say Harrell's clock is ticking a bit louder now. He gets next year, and then I think we'll know if he's injury prone, just a guy, or an impact player.

sheepshead
12-10-2008, 07:18 AM

bingo

oregonpackfan
12-10-2008, 08:17 AM

His first two years hardly provide a glimmer of hope. Next year should be the deciding year of whether he is a bust or an asset.

Patler
12-10-2008, 09:00 AM
Harrell has played two seasons without off-season work of any kind either year, and with limited training camp work last year and none this year. As with all college players, he has a lot to learn, and he has had limited opportunities to learn it. Very little"teaching" goes on once the season starts, it is mostly all game preparation. This will be a crucial off season for him.

Gunakor
12-10-2008, 02:06 PM
What if Ahmad Carroll was a good pick? We'd probably have passed on Charles Woodson in FA.

What if Terrance Murphy wasn't a wasted pick due to a career ending injury early in his rookie season? We might not have Greg Jennings, probably wouldn't have James Jones, and surely wouldn't have Jordy Nelson.

Things tend to work themselves out, often times for the better. I don't care if Carroll were living up to his first round potential, I'd still rather have Woodson. I liked Murphy, but in some ways his injury allowed us to build an even more solid WR corps. Maybe Harrell doesn't pan out, but TT gets us someone even better than Harrell was projected to be.

CaliforniaCheez
12-11-2008, 11:42 AM
Harrell has played two seasons without off-season work of any kind either year, and with limited training camp work last year and none this year. As with all college players, he has a lot to learn, and he has had limited opportunities to learn it. Very little"teaching" goes on once the season starts, it is mostly all game preparation. This will be a crucial off season for him.

I hope his latest injury doesn't keep him from getting in shape and in "school" this off season.

SnakeLH2006
12-12-2008, 03:08 AM
What if....?? Hmmm....fun game though..and an awesome topic...

Ahmad would have shot or at least beat-down or done some serious gangster style mean-mugs on some poor kid for his bike one of these preseasons...You know it...Look at that glare...Fuck a high handlebar...His buddy TO said so, that's how it's so!!! THERE!!! LMAO...

http://www.idatasports.com/roadtrips/2005/081605/photos/1-66.jpg

Brady and AJ would be best friends forever...BFF!!

http://www.newsday.com/media/photo/2006-01/21245019.jpg

We'd have parted with KGB earlier and remembered his best Packer moments with more class had it been in the offseason... Like this classy moment we should all have a lithograph of....

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c113/topgunMMA/packers.jpg

We wouldn't have to see these smug pics...I'm happy for Brett and our future draft pick, but damn...

http://www.rackjite.com/graphics/brett.jpg

And most importantly wouldn't have Bear buddies posting these pics up in other forums. Crying or Very sad or Just laughing your ass off for the rare moments a Bear fan can be happy.....Pick one.

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh53/johnoK2008/PackerFans.jpg

That last one was pretty funny though. My Bear buddy had me in tears on that one when he sent me that one the other day. Gotta take the good with the bad......It's true.

I hope JH does better, but don't see the optimism that he'll better than just some "guy" at this point. Never showed me much even when "healthy" but hopefully I'm wrong.

Go Pack next year! Hopefully we finish out strong.

th87
12-12-2008, 04:32 PM
They're bringing him along slowly.

He seems to have pretty good lateral quickness. Just needs technique work. Will he get it? Who knows. But you emotional howlers are jumping the gun.

DonHutson
12-13-2008, 07:34 PM
They're bringing him along slowly.

Exactly. A few more years holding a clipboard behind Johnny Jolly and he should be ready to play.

What worries me about Harrell, is that I have always gotten the feeling that he's pretty apathetic about playing football. Much the same vibe I got from Jamal Reynolds. Say what you will about Hawk's production, but you get the sense pretty clearly that this is a guy that NEEDS to play football. I just don't get the sense that Harrell has been all that bothered about not playing much.

th87
12-14-2008, 02:39 AM
What worries me about Harrell, is that I have always gotten the feeling that he's pretty apathetic about playing football.

I know, right. He only played with a torn biceps tendon. Weakling.

DonHutson
12-14-2008, 10:38 AM
What worries me about Harrell, is that I have always gotten the feeling that he's pretty apathetic about playing football.

I know, right. He only played with a torn biceps tendon. Weakling.

If I was a cynical bastard I'd point out that he did that in college, BEFORE he got paid. But all of that is beside the point, because I'm not qustioning his toughness, exactly. I'm sure his injuries have been legit.

I've made the Jamal Reynolds comparison before, and I think others have seen it. It's not as simple as they're both first round DL who underacheived. With Reynolds, from the start, I never saw any confidence, enthusiasm, or desire to be a professional football player. Thus far, I haven't seen much of those traits from Harrell either. Now I don't know the guy personally. Maybe under the surface he's a boiling cauldron of man-fury.

My point is, I'm very concerned that this is not the case. Because I don't care how tough he is. If he's not 100% dedicated to being a pro, he's not going to get past those injuries and pay the price to get better. And he needs to get past the injuries AND get better, because the status quo is not good enough.