PDA

View Full Version : Brady Poppinga

bobblehead
12-09-2008, 06:36 PM
Ok, I don't think this is going to happen, but I have discussed it with friends in the past.

Brady Poppinga is out of the Kampman and Allen School. A slightly undersized DE in college with an endless motor who got drafter in the 4/5th round. I asked a friends why we don't use him rushing the passer a few weeks ago and ...voila there he was down in a 3 point stance the next week. Is it possible they encourage him to put on 25 pounds in the offseason and change his position since he never has learned to cover anyone?

Rastak
12-09-2008, 06:37 PM
Ok, I don't think this is going to happen, but I have discussed it with friends in the past.

Brady Poppinga is out of the Kampman and Allen School. A slightly undersized DE in college with an endless motor who got drafter in the 4/5th round. I asked a friends why we don't use him rushing the passer a few weeks ago and ...voila there he was down in a 3 point stance the next week. Is it possible they encourage him to put on 25 pounds in the offseason and change his position since he never has learned to cover anyone?

Hasn't he been getting snaps at DE?

BF4MVP
12-09-2008, 06:38 PM
I like Brady in that he is a high motor, high intensity guy..He's an average player though..A change of position might do him some good..We could really use anyone who can rush the passer these days..

bobblehead
12-09-2008, 06:39 PM

Hasn't he been getting snaps at DE?

He has gotten a VERY few in the last 2-3 weeks.

steve823
12-09-2008, 06:43 PM
Hopefully hell get more..I can see him turning out good at DE. I mean not a star but definetly will help us out.

Partial
12-09-2008, 06:45 PM

He doesn't have DE speed at his current weight.

rbaloha1
12-09-2008, 08:11 PM
The next Bryce Paup.

Fritz
12-09-2008, 08:16 PM
I was a big Brady Popp fan, definitely was rooting for the guy, but he appears to have a limited ceiling. I don't think switching him over to becoming a light defensive end will do much good.

I like him, but I think it might be good if the Pack had an improvement at his position.

Bretsky
12-09-2008, 08:20 PM
He's a marginal starter; I'd be surprised if he had Kampman skills at DE but I guess it's worth a shot.

gbpackfan
12-09-2008, 09:50 PM
Brady has been brutal as of late. He had the coverage on Leach that last series and completely bit on the play-action. He sucks. Much like the rest of his team-mates on defense.

(sorry, it's hard for me to think rationally about our D right now. I'm so tired of them blowing lead, after lead, after lead.

KYPack
12-09-2008, 09:51 PM
I'm with Fritz on this one. I love Popp, but he's probably the kind of guy you have to cut to make the team better.

He is already kinda old, 28 or so. He doesn't have the time to bulk up and learn a new position.

It's almost painful to watch him try and cover. He's so far from being competent at it, that all he does is struggle.

When you see a goof like Cletis fail, it's almost OK, but a guy who busts his ass and still fails is an ugly sight.

bobblehead
12-09-2008, 11:04 PM
I'm with Fritz on this one. I love Popp, but he's probably the kind of guy you have to cut to make the team better.

He is already kinda old, 28 or so. He doesn't have the time to bulk up and learn a new position.

It's almost painful to watch him try and cover. He's so far from being competent at it, that all he does is struggle.

When you see a goof like Cletis fail, it's almost OK, but a guy who busts his ass and still fails is an ugly sight.

He hasn't impressed me this year (who has) but if you rewatch the NFCC and focus on him...just tell me he isn't a live motor beast against the run.

Fritz
12-10-2008, 06:51 AM
Dunno, Bobble. It's the Christmas season and lots of folks have visions of sugarplums dancing in their heads, but all I have in my head is the vision, over and over, of Brady Poppinga blowing into the backfield...then whiffing on the tackle. Happened against Minny, and happened the following week. And I think I've seen that play a few other times earlier this year.

If he's such a monster against the run, why does he have so few tackles for loss? Why does he whiff on what seems to be so many of the tackles he has a chance to make?

Great guy, big motor, limited skills.

KYPack
12-10-2008, 09:02 AM
Most people think Kamp was an undersized DE/LB that built himself up to become a pass rushing DE. He did something even more amazing. He was a big, run stuffing college DE that remade his body into it's present shape. That's why he leverages so well. He learned that stuff when he was bullrushing all the time in college.

That's why I think it's too late for Pop to go back to DE. He's a good hand, the kind of a guy you want on your team. they (& he) needs to find him a new niche. He's not a SAM, but he can do some things to help you win.

I don't know what the role could be, but I hope they find it.

3irty1
12-10-2008, 09:32 AM
I think Pop would make a good outside linebacker in a 3-4 or something but not a DE.

prsnfoto
12-10-2008, 09:39 AM
Either all you guys are nuts or our GM is off his rocker cause he threw about 4 million a year to a marginal NFL player.

Patler
12-10-2008, 09:41 AM
Most people think Kamp was an undersized DE/LB that built himself up to become a pass rushing DE. He did something even more amazing. He was a big, run stuffing college DE that remade his body into it's present shape. That's why he leverages so well. He learned that stuff when he was bullrushing all the time in college.

Yup, Kampman was a 290 pounder who showed his value against the running game early, but no one expected much from him as a pass rusher. He was in Green Bay a couple season before he decided to drop some weight. He first dropped weight when Bates came, as I recall, then decided to drop even a little more the next season when he liked how he felt and played after the first weight drop. Now he plays at about 265.

3irty1
12-10-2008, 09:54 AM

Yup, Kampman was a 290 pounder who showed his value against the running game early, but no one expected much from him as a pass rusher. He was in Green Bay a couple season before he decided to drop some weight. He first dropped weight when Bates came, as I recall, then decided to drop even a little more the next season when he liked how he felt and played after the first weight drop. Now he plays at about 265.

The Packers have been blessed with a few stories like Kampman. Both Driver and Harris have both built themselves into specimens and honed their skills to become among the best in the game.

Patler
12-10-2008, 10:00 AM
Either all you guys are nuts or our GM is off his rocker cause he threw about 4 million a year to a marginal NFL player.

Not really. Many of the initial reports were inaccurate, apparently. When all was said and done, with this being a four year extension added to the one remaining year, it keeps Poppinga in Green Bay through 2012 for less than $3 million per year. As the Packers have done routinely now, the biggest hit was the first year, and all his bonus money is in the way of roster bonuses, so there is no carry over. When he isn't worth it, they can release him with little salary cap impact. The final cap numbers for Poppinga were reported as follows:

2008 - $4.05 million
2009 - $2.85 million
2010 - $2.40 million
2011 - $2.50 million
2012 - $2.75 million

SkinBasket
12-10-2008, 10:38 AM
Dunno, Bobble. It's the Christmas season and lots of folks have visions of sugarplums dancing in their heads, but all I have in my head is the vision, over and over, of Brady Poppinga blowing into the backfield...then whiffing on the tackle. Happened against Minny, and happened the following week. And I think I've seen that play a few other times earlier this year.

Which is why he would also suck as a DE. When Poppinga does miraculously find himself through the line, he always looks like he has no idea what to do next. I don't know if that's a function of him not being able to follow the play while engaged by blockers or if he just freaks out, but he simply does not make plays when he has the chance. Hell, most of the time he doesn't even change the play when he gets through because he's either in the wrong place or headed in the wrong direction.

So, no. I don't think he would be any better at DE than he is at LB. He would be like a slower KGB without the pass rushing skills or experience. That doesn't leave you with a lot.

Partial
12-10-2008, 10:38 AM
I think Pop would make a good outside linebacker in a 3-4 or something but not a DE.

He doesn't have DE speed/athleticism let alone 3-4 OLB. No way, no how.

Patler
12-10-2008, 11:13 AM
He would be like a slower KGB without the pass rushing skills or experience. That doesn't leave you with a lot.

In other words, he would be Mike Montgomery or Jason Hunter? :lol:

3irty1
12-10-2008, 11:32 AM

He doesn't have DE speed/athleticism let alone 3-4 OLB. No way, no how.

He doesn't have 4-3 OLB speed either but he manages to hold his own. Obviously there are guys who are both bigger and faster than him but I think playing with a hand down would play to his strengths.

Partial
12-10-2008, 12:38 PM
Holds his own is debateable. He's not the worst player in the NFL if thats what you're saying. He's just a guy, and overpaid at that. He's old as well. There would be ZERO step down in play having Chillar start in Popp's spot.

3irty1
12-10-2008, 01:02 PM
Holds his own is debateable. He's not the worst player in the NFL if thats what you're saying. He's just a guy, and overpaid at that. He's old as well. There would be ZERO step down in play having Chillar start in Popp's spot.

Maybe I just like him or at least what he represents. When he first came into the league I loved how intense he was and how he played with zero regard for his body. He's not exactly like that now but he's the Rudy of our team. You're probably right though. Chillar might be the best OLB on the whole team.