PDA

View Full Version : Hey MM this is how you win football games...

sheepshead
12-10-2008, 12:00 PM
with a high school QB to boot:

(pft)

PATRIOTS CLOSING IN ON RECORD FOR FEWEST PENALTIES
Posted by Michael David Smith on December 10, 2008, 12:02 p.m. EST

When the Rams played the Patriots in October, Rams coach Jim Haslett complained after the game about how his team was flagged for nine penalties for 63 yards, while the Patriots ended up with zero penalties for zero yards.

But that game wasn’t all that out of the ordinary for New England.

Mike Reiss of the Boston Globe reports that the Patriots are on pace to set a new NFL record for fewest penalties in a 16-game season. So far opposing teams have accepted just 44 penalties against the Patriots this year; the NFL record is 59 by the Seahawks last year.

When New England does get flagged, the big penalties are false starts (nine of them so far this season) and unnecessary roughness (seven). Other than those two fouls, there’s not a single type of penalty that the officials have called on New England more than five times all season.

AddThis

texaspackerbacker
12-10-2008, 12:24 PM
A big disparity in penalties could be interpreted a couple of different ways.

Some of those called on the Packers have been pure crap--not to mention some no-calls in the other direction.

sheepshead
12-10-2008, 12:37 PM
we have five losses as follows:

by 3,3,1,4,3

come on

Gunakor
12-10-2008, 02:50 PM
we have five losses as follows:

by 3,3,1,4,3

come on

The last 3 would have been different had the officiating been consistent at the very least, even if not entirely correct. Holding called on Moll when there was none, followed by no holding called on the guy viciously yanking on Kampy's jersey in the endzone on the following Houston drive. If either no call was made on Moll OR if a call had been made on the Kampman hold, the Packers win the game. I think this is the point Tex is getting at.

sheepshead
12-10-2008, 03:11 PM
First I would say that you can call holding on every down. Second, when you're the most penalized team in football, better believe they'll be looking harder. If by week 2-3 we have the reputation of playing sloppy, well we're gonna get looked at. This, in my opinion, falls squarely on coaching. The refs aren't keeping us out of the playoffs.

bobblehead
12-10-2008, 04:13 PM
yea, I almost forgot about the Dback hanging from driver on 3rd and 3 last week. The "hold" on mario williams came on the next series so I forgot about the driver play. Of course then you have TWill in the endzone getting called for PI on less of a penalty than the one on driver. We are getting the short end of it this year, but hey, next year we might get the better of it.

Freak Out
12-10-2008, 05:06 PM
We've had that many penalties in one game right? :lol:

Fritz
12-10-2008, 09:29 PM
yea, I almost forgot about the Dback hanging from driver on 3rd and 3 last week. The "hold" on mario williams came on the next series so I forgot about the driver play. Of course then you have TWill in the endzone getting called for PI on less of a penalty than the one on driver. We are getting the short end of it this year, but hey, next year we might get the better of it.

I didn't think the Packers were getting the short end of it - I thought they were often getting a big fat salami right up the kiester on some of those calls.

Pugger
12-11-2008, 09:01 AM
The officiating in the NFL leaves a lot to be desired and we aren't the only team with a gripe. But good teams with the right mindset can overcome some penalties (but O holding and PI can be killers tho).