PDA

View Full Version : Saints' Brees leads the way in Pro Bowl voting

PaCkFan_n_MD
12-11-2008, 06:42 PM
Saints' Brees leads the way in Pro Bowl voting
NFL.com

New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees received 951,246 votes to lead all NFL All-Stars in fan balloting for the 2009 NFL Pro Bowl presented by State Farm, NFL.com announced Thursday. Fan voting ended on Tuesday, Dec. 9.

The AFC and NFC All-Star squads are based on the consensus votes of fans, players and coaches. Each group’s vote counts one-third toward determining the 43-man rosters that represent the two conferences in the Pro Bowl. NFL players and coaches will cast their votes on Dec. 11-12.

New York Jets quarterback Brett Favre (880,833 votes) ranks second overall, while New York Giants quarterback Eli Manning (821,852 votes), Washington Redskins running back Clinton Portis (767,817 votes) and Arizona Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner (673,710 votes) round out the top five on NFL.com.

The teams will be announced at 4 p.m. ET, Tuesday, Dec. 16 on a special NFL Total Access 2009 NFL Pro Bowl Selection Show on NFL Network. The 2009 NFL Pro Bowl presented by State Farm will be played at Aloha Stadium in Honolulu, Hawaii on Sunday, Feb. 8 and televised by NBC.

The NFL is the only sports league that combines voting by fans, coaches and players to determine its all-star teams. It was the first professional sports league to offer online all-star voting in 1995.

20 Comments | 115 Recommendations | E-mail

cpk1994
12-12-2008, 04:16 AM
New York Jets quarterback Brett Favre (880,833 votes) ranks second overall

Looks like Mobb has been stuffing the ballot box! :lol:

pack4to84
12-12-2008, 06:05 AM

Looks like Mobb has been stuffing the ballot box! :lol:You mean Partial

Bossman641
12-12-2008, 07:15 AM

I think you made a mistake. It is spelled Pacopete. :)

KYPack
12-12-2008, 09:27 AM
This is a fun thread.

Sean Payton has built himself a Rollerball team down in the big easy.

In that indoor pinball machine called the Superdome (Rollerdome?) they are unstoppable. Outdoors in the grass, they are just a bunch of guys, a slightly below average team. I don't think I've ever seen a guy (Brees) have such a great season amount to so very little.

sheepshead
12-12-2008, 09:33 AM
Lynn Dickey had a few of those.

:wink:

oregonpackfan
12-12-2008, 10:01 AM
The first time I saw Drew Brees play was when he was the Purdue QB and was picking apart the Badgers' secondary. I remember thinking to myself, "Wow, this guy is going to be playing at the next level!" I had no idea he would be excelling to this extent in the NFL.

DonHutson
12-12-2008, 10:52 AM
Which Packers are getting in, if any?

With a reasonably clear conscience, I was able to vote for Jennings, Woodson, Harris, Collins, and Blackmon.

Certainly not all of them will get in. Jennings has the best shot. Woodson deserves it, but he has a history of getting screwed. And getting lit up on MNF by Drew Brees (and again by Matt Schaub - though I'm sure far fewer were watching) should put a dent in the odds for all of our DBs.

Rastak
12-12-2008, 10:56 AM

With a reasonably clear conscience, I was able to vote for Jennings, Woodson, Harris, Collins, and Blackmon.

Certainly not all of them will get in. Jennings has the best shot. Woodson deserves it, but he has a history of getting screwed. And getting lit up on MNF by Drew Brees (and again by Matt Schaub - though I'm sure far fewer were watching) should put a dent in the odds for all of our DBs.

I voted for Jennings, Woodson and Collins myself.

Guiness
12-12-2008, 11:31 AM
Antoine Winfield should be going...was he getting votes?

Rastak
12-12-2008, 11:35 AM

Most all Redskins players actually....LOL....I don't think he was voted in by the fans.

PaCkFan_n_MD
12-12-2008, 11:42 AM
Think Woodson, Collins, Jennings, and Blackman go. Maybe Kampman to but I doubt it.

DonHutson
12-12-2008, 12:12 PM

He got one from me along with Woodson and Harris. Overall, I don't know.

It pained me to vote for Vikings, but I try to vote for the deserving guys so I voted for him, Peterson, and Kevin and Pat Williams (everyone calls them the Williams Brothers, but I believe the reality is that they used to be married like the White Stripes).

DonHutson
12-12-2008, 12:17 PM
Maybe Kampman to but I doubt it.

Maybe. He's not having one of his best years, though he's also not getting much help from his linemates. He could get in on reputation, but I would expect Peppers, Tuck, and probably that prick Jared Allen - though if every player he laid a cheap shot on declines to vote for him he should end up with roughly zero player votes.

It hurt me enough to vote for the 700 pound drug lab in the middle of the Vikings line, I wasn't voting for that bastard too.

Gunakor
12-12-2008, 03:10 PM

If Brees is the starter for the NFC, that means a team's W-L record isn't that important when selecting pro bowl representitives. And if that's the case, Rodgers will probably be selected as the pro bowl alternate at QB. Especially considering the amount of media exposure he's had thus far, most of it in a very positive light.

I'm not sure how many could screw Woodson out of a pro bowl this year, after picking off 5 passes and returning 2 for TD's. Harris probably will not make it, but Woodson likely will. Remember, in the most recent 2 losses, Woodson was playing at SS, not CB. If he gets selected it will be at cornerback, where IMO he's more than earned it regardless of the past couple of weeks.

Jennings is nearly a lock to go. I can't think of any reason why he would be left out. Blackmon on the other hand won't make it I don't think. Given the popularity contest the pro bowl has become, I'm sure Devon Hester will be the representitive because his name is Devon Hester and he still returns punts. I don't think returning 2 punts for TD's - both against the Vikings - will be enough to unseat him. Although if enough people saw that one at the Humpty Dump, he's got a shot. That was incredible.

DonHutson
12-12-2008, 04:35 PM
I'm sure Devon Hester will be the representitive because his name is Devon Hester and he still returns punts. I don't think returning 2 punts for TD's - both against the Vikings - will be enough to unseat him. Although if enough people saw that one at the Humpty Dump, he's got a shot. That was incredible.

Hester is averaging 5.6 per punt return, which is awful, and he's doing nothing special on kick-offs either. If he gets in, and I can't say he won't, it would be a joke.

Blackmon's biggest competition is probably Reggie Bush, but I don't think he does it full-time. He doesn't appear to have enough returns to qualify for the list on NFL.com.

Maybe Allen Rossum, who's putting up good numbers for SF. There's a guy named Clifton Smith from Tampa that has a better average for punts and kick-offs, and a TD doing each, but he's returned far fewer kicks.

Blackmon has the best average of anyone with at least 20 punt returns. He and Bush are the only guys in the NFC with multiple TD's. His kick-off numbers aren't great, but at least he does both.

Pacopete4
12-12-2008, 04:49 PM

never voted in my life for a pro bowl.. no need to because other people in this world aren't morons and see how great favre really is.... thanks TT!

HarveyWallbangers
12-12-2008, 05:07 PM
Think Woodson, Collins, Jennings, and Blackman go. Maybe Kampman to but I doubt it.

I don't think Blackmon will get in. He's been nice, but just not good enough. If his KO return for a TD hadn't been called back, his KO return stats would be much better. He would have had a shot. Woodson, Collins, and Jennings. Harris missed some games. The NFC has a strong set of DEs this year, so Kampman gets left out also. Collins played like the best safety in the NFC--until about 3 games ago. I thought he deserved it. Now, it will be close. He has the stats, but not the name. If Sharper makes it again, I'm going to puke.

HarveyWallbangers
12-12-2008, 05:12 PM
As for Favre, ignoring that it's Brett Favre, he deserves consideration. There are three guys that have a better QB rating whose team have the same record or better than the Jets. They are Jay Cutler, Peyton Manning, and Chad Pennington. One could argue those three deserve the nod, but I can see Favre making it over Pennington. Cutler and Manning have carried their teams. Manning has been lights out during the Colts 6 game winning streak... lifting the Colts back into the playoff race. Denver is almost a one man team. Favre and Pennington have been good caretakers (e.g. game managers) for surprising teams.

Gunakor
12-12-2008, 05:43 PM

never voted in my life for a pro bowl.. no need to because other people in this world aren't morons and see how great favre really is.... thanks TT!

Would it irk you if Rodgers were selected to go as well?

Pacopete4
12-12-2008, 06:50 PM

not one bit.. u misread me badly.. I wanna see Rodgers succeed. I think he's had a solid year stat wise.. is he a winner yet? no.. but he's definitely got areas he can improve on and be a good QB in this game. Do I blame all the loses on him solely?.. nope.. that's asinine! But has he been the force Favre would have been for this team, specially late in ball games.. absolutely not. But hey, at least we're not in the situation of the Bears and Vikings with our QB's! Do I think he's top 3 in the NFC, eh.. probably not but he should at least be thrown in for consideration... my beef is with that stupid, no good, douche bag, cock sucking, snake we have for a GM and then day he is gone, all will be well in my book again in packerland... hes a fucking queer and u wont change my mind.... does that make it clear enough about where I stand? Cuz I'm not sure I can spell it out any differently...

maybe this helps... FUCK TED THOMPSON!

Partial
12-12-2008, 07:43 PM

What the hell? That's really dumb. Favre hasn't been great by any means this year. This team would be better with him than Rodgers for this year, though. I have never once voted for the pro bowl. I don't care enough.

I just call 'em as I see 'em. Tomorrow night you're going to see a future fullback win his second heisman. Hurray.

bobblehead
12-12-2008, 11:24 PM

The last few weeks a lot of jets fans are doing their best imitation of the DNC in Minnesota...they are trying to change their votes for favre and put in pennington.

Zool
12-13-2008, 03:15 AM

What the hell? That's really dumb. Favre hasn't been great by any means this year. This team would be better with him than Rodgers for this year, though. I have never once voted for the pro bowl. I don't care enough.

I just call 'em as I see 'em. Tomorrow night you're going to see a future fullback win his second heisman. Hurray.

You might be right, but I think McCoy is going to take it now that they didnt even invite Harrell. I doubt they go back to back seasons giving it to underclassmen so that leaves Bradford and Crabtree out in the cold.

I still think its McCoy. He's been the golden boy all season.

Gunakor
12-13-2008, 07:10 PM

not one bit.. u misread me badly.. I wanna see Rodgers succeed. I think he's had a solid year stat wise.. is he a winner yet? no.. but he's definitely got areas he can improve on and be a good QB in this game. Do I blame all the loses on him solely?.. nope.. that's asinine! But has he been the force Favre would have been for this team, specially late in ball games.. absolutely not. But hey, at least we're not in the situation of the Bears and Vikings with our QB's! Do I think he's top 3 in the NFC, eh.. probably not but he should at least be thrown in for consideration... my beef is with that stupid, no good, douche bag, cock sucking, snake we have for a GM and then day he is gone, all will be well in my book again in packerland... hes a fucking queer and u wont change my mind.... does that make it clear enough about where I stand? Cuz I'm not sure I can spell it out any differently...

maybe this helps... FUCK TED THOMPSON!

Sorry, the only reason I ask is because you seem to be most pissed at Ted Thompson BECAUSE of Aaron Rodgers. If Aaron Rodgers were to make the Pro Bowl, it would show that he got that one right. Even if Brett goes as well. That would seemingly piss you off, because it defeats your reason for hating TT. See where I'm going with this? So it wouldn't piss you off to find out that your reason for hating TT doesn't exist, and that you've been being a whiny fuck for no reason? That's what I was asking.

Zool
12-13-2008, 11:21 PM
You might be right, but I think McCoy is going to take it now that they didnt even invite Harrell. I doubt they go back to back seasons giving it to underclassmen so that leaves Bradford and Crabtree out in the cold.

Well I'll be damned. Bradford took it. Looks like this is OK's year. Well other than the impending ass kicking in the title game.

LEWCWA
12-13-2008, 11:55 PM

Well I'll be damned. Bradford took it. Looks like this is OK's year. Well other than the impending ass kicking in the title game.

How is FL going to hold OK under 50 pts....I don't think they can keep up with OK....

Zool
12-14-2008, 12:24 AM

How is FL going to hold OK under 50 pts....I don't think they can keep up with OK....

Just a gut feeling. I could be wrong. It happened one other time.