PDA

View Full Version : Guys that are safe

RashanGary
12-13-2008, 06:55 AM
Rodgers
Brohm

Good QB play takes time in the NFL. MM liked both young prospects and both will get a legitimate chance to learn the system and become NFL players unless they have poor attitudes and show glaring weaknesses. The recent story of Brohm shows a guy with a great attitude. I think he's safe based on his high upside and good work ethic. Flynn is probably safe too but you never know how the draft might fall.

Grant
Jackson

I don't think Hall or Kuhn or necessarily safe. I think it's possible one could get replaced if the right guy came along.

Donald Lee

I don't think Humphrey or Finley are safe.

Jennings
Driver
Nelson
Jones

I think Jones is safe. He'll get every opportunity. Ruvell is replacable

Colledge
Spitz
Sitton
we'll see how Moll plays

I don't think anyone else is all that safe. If we select a couple OL Clifton could be gone. Taush could be gone if Moll plays well. Any of the young guys could be gone if we find someone better.

Kampman
Pickett
Jolly
Jenkins
probably Jeremy Thompson as he seems like a hard worker and should improve

Nobody else is remotely safe. Cole has a chance. The young no-names like Malone ahve a chance. The oft injured Harrell has one last chance. I think we're going to see a lot of turnover though.

Hawk
Bishop
Chillar

I would hope Barnett is not safe but he probably is. The rest of the guys should not be safe.

Collins
Rouse

Probably Bigby if he can get healthy

Harris
Woodson
Tramon Williams
Pat Lee (seems like a hard worker. If he sucks at defense he should take Bush's spot on the roster as ST's demon so I think he sticks)

I think Harris is still safe. We need new, young prospects developing to play defense though. Too many ST's only guys on this roster

Crosby is safe

RashanGary
12-13-2008, 06:58 AM
There is a lot of room for improvement on this roster. I think we need to bring in a lot of players so we have more chances at getting stars. Sticking with the (stay put and draft upside) picks like Harrell and Hawk just don't seem to be working very well. It didn't work for Wolf either. The late first through 3rd round picks seems to work better for getting great players. Plus, our roster could use an infusion of talent.

sheepshead
12-13-2008, 07:14 AM
duh?

texaspackerbacker
12-13-2008, 08:06 AM
Taking what you say literally--safe as in sure thing barring injury, I suppose that is fairly accurate. I don't see how anybody can still be a Barnett hater, though, considering the drop-off when he got hurt.

I think a lot more current players are likely to stay, even if they can't be labeled "safe". They're not gonna get rid of Finley. Tauscher is more likely to come back now with his injury, as he probably won't get big money elsewhere. Montgomery has been playing pretty good, and I think will stay. They're not gonna draft a WR, and it's highly unlikely that a street free agent will beat out Martin. I really doubt Popinga gets cut. Two good newbies would have to come along to beat him out. And I think the only way Flynn goes anywhere is if there is a trade offer.

PaCkFan_n_MD
12-13-2008, 08:54 AM
Barnett is not the best middle linebacker in the league, but the guy can play. He is a leader on defense and this team needs him so he is safe. Unless his injury slows him down significantly of course.

Harris himself doesn't think he's 100% safe so I don't know how you can.

PaCkFan_n_MD
12-13-2008, 08:59 AM
Plus, our roster could use an infusion of talent.

This to me tells me TT has not done his job. Going into draft number five, we should not need an infusion of talent.

PackerTimer
12-13-2008, 09:44 AM
Plus, our roster could use an infusion of talent.

This to me tells me TT has not done his job. Going into draft number five, we should not need an infusion of talent.

I disagree, every roster could use an infusion of talent. When you look at the list, it's not all bad. There is a lot of talent at quite a few positions. Most of the improvement needs to be on DLine. A few weeks ago I would have been more nervousabout the OLine but the way those guys have been playing (especially the guys in the middle) I've had some of those concerns lessen a bit. Still could use some young tackles.

We'll see. Maybe I'm being overly optimistic. But I think this might be a year where we see TT make a nice free agent signing. Add a vet on the DLine and a few draft picks, I think you could see some pretty good improvement there. I'm fairly excited about the offseason to see what we can do. Injuries and bad luck have had a part in our 5-8 record. I think at full strength we're as good as any team in the North at least. Basically, we're closer than a 5-8 record might indicate.

prsnfoto
12-13-2008, 10:16 AM
Only way a high profile vet comes to this team is if they pay the most which has always been the problem but I would think with a coach who doesn't wow you, a team of snot nosed kids , no Brett, and a GM who is known for his lack of even wanting to pull that trigger I would think it unlikely. I do give him credit for Woodson but lets face it everyone THOUGHT he overpaid on that deal. In a couple years when AROD looks like a young Favre(let us pray) it becomes a possibility but until then this a young team that will remain competetive, but with both trenches being bad and the LB's being average at best that is as far as they will achieve.

Pugger
12-13-2008, 10:52 AM
If TT overpaid for Woodson then how can some say he is a tightwad? If the price is right a player will come here. Woodson had reservations but came anyway and from what I've heard he is very happy at 1265. And just because TT didn't sign a guy that we fans think he should have this past offseason doesn't mean he is averse to 'pulling the trigger' as you say. I don't think too many fans are all that unhappy with Chillar. Maybe he thought the price got too high with some of those big 'name' FAs last summer? :?: And most of the rest of the FAs were FAs for a reason. :wink:

bbbffl66
12-13-2008, 11:30 AM
If TT overpaid for Woodson then how can some say he is a tightwad? If the price is right a player will come here. Woodson had reservations but came anyway and from what I've heard he is very happy at 1265. And just because TT didn't sign a guy that we fans think he should have this past offseason doesn't mean he is averse to 'pulling the trigger' as you say. I don't think too many fans are all that unhappy with Chillar. Maybe he thought the price got too high with some of those big 'name' FAs last summer? :?: And most of the rest of the FAs were FAs for a reason. :wink:

Jets signed a few. Seems to working out pretty well so far for them!
We signed a backup LB. Woo-hoo!

oregonpackfan
12-13-2008, 12:19 PM
Barnett is not the best middle linebacker in the league, but the guy can play. He is a leader on defense and this team needs him so he is safe. Unless his injury slows him down significantly of course.

Harris himself doesn't think he's 100% safe so I don't know how you can.

One huge reason for the Packers' defensive swoon the past few weeks has been the absence of Nick Barnett. Besides his leadership, he is the best linebacker for pass coverage for RB's coming out of the backfield.

He also has the best lateral movement of any of the Packer linebackers.

MJZiggy
12-13-2008, 01:03 PM

And the year before we signed Ryan Pickett. How's that working out for us. We'd also have signed a big-name kicker if he didn't want to kick in a dome and a very famous linebacker who, in the end, turned out to be a dud anyway.

You guys make these assumptions about what TT thinks and what TT is going to do that are in direct conflict with what he actually does. We were the highest bidder for Vinny and Woodson so I no longer buy the theory that he won't outbid anyone. When HE feels the player is worth it (not when you do) he is willing to spend what it takes. In Pickett's case, he made Green Bay out to be the better place for him to be even though the money was about even. And I don't ever recall Pickett saying he was coming here because of Brett Favre, he came because it was more attractive than staying with the Rams. He liked our coach better, which makes sense for a defensive player.

Fred's Slacks
12-13-2008, 01:37 PM

Yeah but are the Jets a real threat to win it all? Sure they have a chance but there are two other teams in their division alone that have just as good of one. If they do win it all then it was all worth it but I doubt that will happen. Then what? All the old guys will be a year older and they'll have less draft picks to reload because of all the trades. I was going to go back and look at the FA acquisitions of the last 5 super bowl winners but this guy already did it:

http://bigapplesports.net/2008/02/28/on-the-eve-of-free-agency/

Its a good short article and accurately depicts my view of why TT is being smart, not stubborn.

Someone keeps saying the only stat that matters in W's. Well, I don't agree with that. The only one that matters is championships. Last year was our shot and we failed. This year is not our year. I'd rather have a bad year every once in a while if there are real shots at a championship mixed in. I would hate to get 9 or 10 wins every year just to have an early exit from the playoffs. I think our team is just a couple good DL and a couple bounces away from being very good.