PDA

View Full Version : Gone astray: After a solid start, Poppinga has slipped

packers11
12-13-2008, 04:05 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/36092569.html

Good Article, but one thing just stood out...

He also has missed six tackles in the last five games, including two against Minnesota's Adrian Peterson in the Metrodome that resulted in an extra 44 yards. He had missed only three tackles in the first eight games.

:shock:

KYPack
12-13-2008, 05:19 PM
Even when he was playing better, he had cover problems.

Now that he's in this slump, his confidence is shot & he can't cover shit. Ya know, I forgot about that contract extension they gave Brady, that does double the problem.

Brady's big problem in cover is alluded to in the article. When Popo gets rattled, he errs on the side of covering the run. We play a lot of match-up with our backers. Brady forgets the "rules"

On that big play against Houston, Pop abandoned Vonta Leach (of all people) in cover and went up to plug the run. BZZZZT. Bad read, Pop. When you matchup, he's yours Brady, stay in cover, you goof. They hit Leach with the short pass and he gashed us.

Pop did the same shit against the Bears last year (with lots of "help" from Nick) and they gave up a seam route to the TE for a big 6.

He never was instinctive in cover, but now he's forgetting what little he learned.

All I hope is he's having a shit year when others are doing the same. I hope all of 'em play and learn & bounce back next season.

Joemailman
12-13-2008, 05:48 PM
What you see is what you get with Poppinga. The thing people tend to forget is that he will turn 30 next September. Hard to believe he has much upside. The light would have turned on by now if it was going to. He is probably in his last year as a starter here unless the Packers switch to a 3-4.

rbaloha1
12-13-2008, 07:08 PM
Convert BP to a rush end -- presto the next Bryce Paup.

wist43
12-13-2008, 09:18 PM
BP stood out to me on one play in particular in the Houston game... Slatons long run near the end of the 1st quarter...

His responsibility was the TE... but he was so focused on his principle assignment, that he never looked for the ball. It wasn't until the runner was already thru the hole and even/leavin Poppinga, that BP even realized where the ball was, and that it was a run...

Also contibuting to this long run were a myriad of other factors as well... lack of inside pursuit comes to mind. Nevertheless, BP showed absolutely no instincts or awareness... he's been in the NFL long enough, if he hasn't got it by now, you have to figure he probably won't get any better.

That having been said too... I do agree with some, that he probably isn't a great fit in this scheme, or at least the way they use him in it.

digitaldean
12-13-2008, 10:20 PM
BP stood out to me on one play in particular in the Houston game... Slatons long run near the end of the 1st quarter...

His responsibility was the TE... but he was so focused on his principle assignment, that he never looked for the ball. It wasn't until the runner was already thru the hole and even/leavin Poppinga, that BP even realized where the ball was, and that it was a run...

Also contibuting to this long run were a myriad of other factors as well... lack of inside pursuit comes to mind. Nevertheless, BP showed absolutely no instincts or awareness... he's been in the NFL long enough, if he hasn't got it by now, you have to figure he probably won't get any better.

That having been said too... I do agree with some, that he probably isn't a great fit in this scheme, or at least the way they use him in it.

Agreed, Wist. Poppinga has a lot of traits, instinct or feel of the play ain't one of 'em.

He has a high motor, but I'm tired of hearing his potential.

Listened to a Fox Sports Radio show last week. They had on an NFL Films analyst for ESPN's NFL Matchup show. Someone called in about the Packers D. His take on it's subpar performance? He said that the core group is the same (yes, he notes the injuries), but our present LB'ers are TOO SLOW.

DE can be a focus, but I wouldn't mind LB'ers Maualuga from USC or Curry from Wake Forest come draft day.