PDA

View Full Version : Mini camp thoughts

Rastak
04-05-2006, 10:22 AM
Okay, it's a slow news day and probably will be until the draft. So, I thought I'd generate some discussion. New head coaches are allowed two full mini camps. The Vikings new staff wanted one scheduled before the draft to run the vets through some practces to see them first hand before making final draft preperations. They will be running five practices this coming weekend.

Green Bay has opted to schedule theirs after the draft. I don't know if this is Thompson's call or McCarthy's call. Anyway, it made me think (always a dangerous thing, that).

1. Did they schedule them later to avoid a showdown with Favre? Just a wild bit of speculation on my part.

2. Since Thompson makes the personnel decisions, did they feel it not necessary since he already knows the roster?

3. Some other strategic reason?

HarveyWallbangers
04-05-2006, 10:24 AM
Okay, it's a slow news day and probably will be until the draft. So, I thought I'd generate some discussion. New head coaches are allowed two full mini camps. The Vikings new staff wanted one scheduled before the draft to run the vets through some practces to see them first hand before making final draft preperations. They will be running five practices this coming weekend.

Green Bay has opted to schedule theirs after the draft. I don't know if this is Thompson's call or McCarthy's call. Anyway, it made me think (always a dangerous thing, that).

1. Did they schedule them later to avoid a showdown with Favre? Just a wild bit of speculation on my part.

2. Since Thompson makes the personnel decisions, did they feel it not necessary since he already knows the roster?

3. Some other strategic reason?

I believe they've scheduled them for right after the draft for quite some time. I'm sure Thompson has a good idea of the talent on the team. Waiting until after the draft allows them to get the rookies acclimated. The only reason I see doing it before the draft is if you have a new regime that isn't familiar with the talent on the team (e.g. the Vikings case).

Patler
04-05-2006, 10:48 AM
MM announced shortly after his hiring that he felt it was extremely important for the team to be entirely together, veterans and rookies, for the extra camp. He said he saw no reason to have only part of the team there, because it would require duplicating some of what was presented in the first camp when everyone was together for the second camp. It would waste time..

He also said he valued all of the time before the draft getting the staff together, players evaluated and the season plan worked out. Once all that and the draft were done, it would be time to bring the players in for the minicamps, training camp and the season.

Rastak
04-05-2006, 10:53 AM
MM announced shortly after his hiring that he felt it was extremely important for the team to be entirely together, veterans and rookies, for the extra camp. He said he saw no reason to have only part of the team there, because it would require duplicating some of what was presented in the first camp when everyone was together for the second camp. It would waste time..

He also said he valued all of the time before the draft getting the staff together, players evaluated and the season plan worked out. Once all that and the draft were done, it would be time to bring the players in for the minicamps, training camp and the season.

That's sound reasoning...but alot of times draft picks don't get signed until right before training camp..........so I'm not sure how many more guys will be there. Then again, I think players sometimes attend and take insurance policies in case they get injured before signing.

MadtownPacker
04-05-2006, 11:02 AM
I read that Brad Childish want to talk to his rookies about culpepper. :twisted:

Patler
04-05-2006, 11:13 AM

That's sound reasoning...but alot of times draft picks don't get signed until right before training camp..........so I'm not sure how many more guys will be there. Then again, I think players sometimes attend and take insurance policies in case they get injured before signing.

Some also attend classroom session and observe but do not participate in drills.

Aaron Rogers was at and threw in the minicamps, but didn't sign until August 1.

HarveyWallbangers
04-05-2006, 11:25 AM
Some also attend classroom session and observe but do not participate in drills.

Aaron Rogers was at and threw in the minicamps, but didn't sign until August 1.

Good point. Actually, most do. Many rookies participate in drills before they are signed--with an agreement (or insurance) for compensation (if they get injured) in place.

Deputy Nutz
04-05-2006, 11:41 AM
MM stated that he pushed back the Mini-camp to finish the off season conditioning and weight training program before the mini-camp began.

MadtownPacker
04-05-2006, 11:46 AM
MM stated that he pushed back the Mini-camp to finish the off season conditioning and weight training program before the mini-camp began.

M3 is gonna have his squad ripped and ready to rough up some queens, kitties and cubs!!

Seriously does anyone not like M3 now? He was dissed very hard when hired and I havent heard a peep since.

HarveyWallbangers
04-05-2006, 12:00 PM
I'm on his bandwagon. Trying to pull Bretsky up on it. I'm teetering on the Thompson bandwagon. We'll see how he finishes this offseason.

MJZiggy
04-05-2006, 12:27 PM
If he gets you a guard and center will you love him?

HarveyWallbangers
04-05-2006, 12:55 PM
If he gets you a guard and center will you love him?

I'll take a legit OG, LB, and a CB. Then, he'll have my unconditional love.

MJZiggy
04-05-2006, 01:15 PM
Speaking of which...any comments as to whether Chuckie's in love?

Guiness
04-05-2006, 02:22 PM

wtf does that have to do with anything? :lol:

Guiness
04-05-2006, 02:27 PM
Wasn't there some problem with the insurance policies last year?

So, if they have a camp before, the rookies only get one minicamp, but if they save it, the rookies attend both.

Since you should know what you've got with the vets, and most of your evaluation is where (or even if) rookies fit in, I would think you want both camps afterwards - unless, as stated, you have a new regime that doesn't really know what they've got, and need to see the vets w/o the confusion of the rookies around.

MJZiggy
04-05-2006, 03:11 PM

wtf does that have to do with anything? :lol:Is ha going to be our corner?