PDA

View Full Version : ""MISSING ELEMENT""

Bretsky
12-14-2008, 02:32 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/36075694.html

Gunakor
12-14-2008, 02:52 AM
Well of course. This isn't surprising at all. Every team goes through this when transitioning from a veteran QB to his replacement. It was going to happen to us also, whether it was this year or next year or whenever. Why is this year worse than any other year? At this point in Favre's career, this was no reason not to have made the trade IMO. In fact, it might be a reason FOR the trade as it wastes one less year of Rodgers' career getting him up to game speed. One less year before Rodgers can establish himself as a trusted leader of this team, much in the same light that Favre was. I mean, Rodgers isn't going to get that aura and presence Silverstein speaks of by holding a clipboard...

Pacopete4
12-14-2008, 04:00 AM
blah, blah, blah TT fans... haha

shit is hilarious... it really took this long for this story to happen? Its not Arod Bashing season... its douche bag, snake, TT bashing season.... the guy is a fuckin clown, snake, fag..... douche GM that needs to rot in hell.............. Love u Brett and I hate u veteran guys who TT selected on this team who couldnt handle the burden of the Favre aura.. FUCK YOU TED THOMPSON!

RashanGary
12-14-2008, 07:07 AM
haha. Again, it's not that the defense is bad, it's taht they're not inspired by Brett Favre.

This stuff is really too much sometimes. Are we living a dream where stuff like this can be written in the Milwaukee Journel Sentinel and people acctually buy it?

I thought Ruvell said it best at the end but damn, this story was clearly a drama piece intended to stir the pot and sell papers.

denverYooper
12-14-2008, 07:15 AM
I agree, I often have felt like the team really misses Rob Davis out there.

Tarlam!
12-14-2008, 07:40 AM
Talk about a load of shit. Rodgers has been fine this season - as fine as Favre last!

The problems on our beloved team are not at QB. What a ridiculous article.

sheepshead
12-14-2008, 08:34 AM

shit is hilarious... it really took this long for this story to happen? Its not Arod Bashing season... its douche bag, snake, TT bashing season.... the guy is a fuckin clown, snake, fag..... douche GM that needs to rot in hell.............. Love u Brett and I hate u veteran guys who TT selected on this team who couldnt handle the burden of the Favre aura.. FUCK YOU TED THOMPSON!

I just live for posts like this. Thanks man, keep up the good work.

sheepshead
12-14-2008, 08:37 AM
This article is a waste of space. By the way, I understand the comparisons in career paths, but I was watching reply's of Steve Young the other day. Except for the left handed throws, ARod looks a lot like Young back there.

MJZiggy
12-14-2008, 08:54 AM
haha. Again, it's not that the defense is bad, it's taht they're not inspired by Brett Favre.

This stuff is really too much sometimes. Are we living a dream where stuff like this can be written in the Milwaukee Journel Sentinel and people acctually buy it?

I thought Ruvell said it best at the end but damn, this story was clearly a drama piece intended to stir the pot and sell papers.

Yes. Ruvell was right. Just because the team is young doesn't mean it has no leadership. You wanna tell me that Al and Charles never do anything to inspire the younger players? I'm sure Tauscher and Clifton have never said a single word or led by example.

What a crock of shit.

The Shadow
12-14-2008, 09:02 AM

The 'missing element' seems to be from between some folk's ears.....

wist43
12-14-2008, 09:26 AM

LOL... some say it is the water in Superior, but I think it is that everyone drives so slow up there... it's infuriating :bs2:

I have nightmares of living somewhere where everyone drives 25 mph everywhere... that's Superior. Enough to drive you over the edge :twisted:

KYPack
12-14-2008, 09:32 AM
Guess there must be one mine still operating up there, eh?

Joemailman
12-14-2008, 10:06 AM
The Favre Factor is hard to quantify. The Packers have led in the 4th quarter in 10 of their games, so it's not like they've stopped being competitive. My sense is that if there's been a lack of fire on this team, it's been on the defensive side of the ball. Would Favre had affected the defense that much? Who knows? You would think that with veterans like Kampman, Woodson and Harris, that the leadership would be there. Maybe if the Packers had a healthy Barnett, Bigby, Jenkins and Hawk (I don't think he's healthy), as they did last year, the Packers would have the same record as the Jets and this article would never have been written.

cpk1994
12-14-2008, 10:09 AM

I thought Ruvell said it best at the end but damn, this story was clearly a drama piece intended to stir the pot and sell papers.Your last statement sums it up perfectly. As I have said before, McGinn may be knowledageable but he is still an idiot.

EDIT: I need to look closer as Silverstein wrote the article. However my summation of Bob still stands.

sheepshead
12-14-2008, 10:15 AM
[/quote]Your last statement sums it up perfectly. As I have said before, McGinn may be knowledageable but he is still an idiot.

:|

cpk1994
12-14-2008, 10:19 AM
Your last statement sums it up perfectly. As I have said before, McGinn may be knowledageable but he is still an idiot.

:|If your response is becasue I blasted McGinn without realizing Silverstein wrote the article, I realize my mistake. But if your response was about McGinn, could you explain?

digitaldean
12-14-2008, 10:48 AM
I read that yesterday. Mostly disagree with this piece.

Yes, I can see the validity of BF's presence and play causing others to want to lift their game. Having a Joe Montana or John Elway on your team would've had the same effect.

But there are others on this team that can and should take that mantle regardless if BF stayed retired or was traded.

These are young, impressionable players (relatively speaking). Favre's leadership by example on the field would help. Well, the training wheels come off. Now you have to show you can lead. This situation would have happened next season or 2010 depending on when BF retired.

Even though Favre had leadership on the field. He failed at least the last 2-3 offseasons when he could've quelled all this waffling crap.

Teams do have to have some clue on what's coming up in their future, so they can draft accordingly. If BFs ego couldn't handle it, then too bad.

As I've said before, I know the dregs GB had at QB before BF fell into our laps. He helped resurrect this team back to respectability. But the deification of him makes me wretch.

TT has a tough off season ahead. He has used FA before to get CWood and Pickett. He needs to start drafting players that are ready to plug in now. No Poppinga projects, no permanent rookie season inactives, etc.

bobblehead
12-14-2008, 11:07 AM

If I were any player on the team and people implied I needed brett favre to do my job well I would be seriously offended. Do you really believe that Guys like Harris and Woodsen need a washed up me first QB to be inspired? Its natural for someone to write this article and its natural for others to hop on board. Bottom line is that ARods onfield production is every bit as good as BF's....even better than I ever expected.

Do we forget the 8-20 stretch we went thru before a strong finish in '06 and a cake '07 schedule? Do we ignore the 4th Quarter leads that Arod has given us that the Defense has blown and honestly think they would have held the lead if old number 4 were the QB?

Seriously, I know it feels good to make this arguement, but it makes as much sense as giving a bunch of money to a business that has proven time and again it can't compete in the market place because "their leadership inspires the american people".

bobblehead
12-14-2008, 11:16 AM
Your last statement sums it up perfectly. As I have said before, McGinn may be knowledageable but he is still an idiot.

:|If your response is becasue I blasted McGinn without realizing Silverstein wrote the article, I realize my mistake. But if your response was about McGinn, could you explain?

For my 2 cents mcginn is brilliant. If you look back 6 months you will see his predictions often come true.

sheepshead
12-14-2008, 11:23 AM

Yu mispelled knoolegable and called him a ideott.

Bretsky
12-14-2008, 11:31 AM

For my 2 cents mcginn is brilliant. If you look back 6 months you will see his predictions often come true.

McGinn wins many awards and IMO is a very solid writer who always has a slanted point. Many of his points are spot on down the line but he always gets blasted by those who do not agree with him

Partial
12-14-2008, 12:10 PM

You tell me then, guy. Did Ryan Pickett get old overnight? Did Johnny Jolly forget how to play? What about Pop, AJ and Nick? Did they all work out too hard and lose their speed?

You can have an excuse for one guy... maybe two. But when you start making them for the whole team something is clearly wrong.

Partial
12-14-2008, 12:13 PM

Yes. Ruvell was right. Just because the team is young doesn't mean it has no leadership. You wanna tell me that Al and Charles never do anything to inspire the younger players? I'm sure Tauscher and Clifton have never said a single word or led by example.

What a crock of shit.

No, I don't think those guys are leaders. Chuck is very quiet, doesn't stay here in the off-season (this was his first year, etc). Al Harris maybe, but again, not so sure.

Tauscher and Clifton? Really? Two tackles?

IMO, leadership naturally comes with the MLB position and the QB position. Barnett is the only leader we have imo.

Gunakor
12-14-2008, 12:34 PM

What a crock of shit.

No, I don't think those guys are leaders. Chuck is very quiet, doesn't stay here in the off-season (this was his first year, etc). Al Harris maybe, but again, not so sure.

IMO, leadership naturally comes with the MLB position and the QB position. Barnett is the only leader we have imo.

Leadership comes from anyone who is willing to step up and be a leader... It doesn't have to be a MLB or a QB.

By the way, it's an incredible cop out to blame the failure of the defense on a guy who never played a single snap on defense his entire career. Perhaps you could blame the DC, or maybe the players themselves. Blaming the Favre deal is just an easy way explaining away the real problems of this team. Quarterback isn't one of them.

MJZiggy
12-14-2008, 12:51 PM

What a crock of shit.

Imagine that. We need someone to step up and lead and Woodson shows up for the offseason stuff...Hmmm...

MJZiggy
12-14-2008, 01:04 PM
Imagine that, the announcers today saying that guys on the defense (namely Woodson) stepping up and showing their leadership.

GrnBay007
12-14-2008, 02:58 PM
How many times during the years did you listen to other players in the league talk about “the element” of Favre?

How many times did you hear, “the Packers are never out of a game with Favre”?

How many times have you read articles from players saying playing with Favre made everyone on the team play at a higher level….and not wanting to disappoint?

To say that he didn’t bring a level of confidence (“the element”) to the whole team is just silly and people that believe that is not PART of what is missing this year are just in denial…IMO.

It’s Brett Favre for Christ’s sake! No way there was going to be a transition to a new QB, any QB, that didn’t skip a beat…no way.

BTW, I support Rodgers and hope he is a star for the Packers. But to completely deny some of the truth of the article posted is just plain old denial IMO. Seems some people were just spoiled by what Favre brought to the game.

MOBB DEEP
12-14-2008, 02:58 PM
TED (INFAMY) THOMPSON wrecked the pack...!!!

Partial
12-14-2008, 03:08 PM
Imagine that, the announcers today saying that guys on the defense (namely Woodson) stepping up and showing their leadership.

So much leadership with yet another sloppy offensive performance, relying on the defense to bail them out yet again, don'tcha say?

BF4MVP
12-14-2008, 03:38 PM

So much leadership with yet another sloppy offensive performance, relying on the defense to bail them out yet again, don'tcha say?
They didn't rely on the defense to bail them out. They took the lead and relied on the defense to make a stop and AGAIN the defense gave up a big play and allowed them to score easily.

Gunakor
12-14-2008, 03:43 PM

When you have a lead in the 4th quarter you aren't asking your defense for a bailout. You are asking your defense to DO THEIR FUCKING JOBS when it matters most.

BF4MVP
12-14-2008, 03:45 PM

When you have a lead in the 4th quarter you aren't asking your defense for a bailout. You are asking your defense to DO THEIR FUCKING JOBS when it matters most.
:bclap:

red
12-14-2008, 03:50 PM
How many times during the years did you listen to other players in the league talk about “the element” of Favre?

How many times have you read articles from players saying playing with Favre made everyone on the team play at a higher level….and not wanting to disappoint?

To say that he didn’t bring a level of confidence (“the element”) to the whole team is just silly and people that believe that is not PART of what is missing this year are just in denial…IMO.

It’s Brett Favre for Christ’s sake! No way there was going to be a transition to a new QB, any QB, that didn’t skip a beat…no way.

BTW, I support Rodgers and hope he is a star for the Packers. But to completely deny some of the truth of the article posted is just plain old denial IMO. Seems some people were just spoiled by what Favre brought to the game.

great post dub-o

agreed

Partial
12-14-2008, 03:52 PM

They didn't rely on the defense to bail them out. They took the lead and relied on the defense to make a stop and AGAIN the defense gave up a big play and allowed them to score easily.

Dude, its a 60 minute game. What happens in the last 5 minutes does not change what happened the entire rest of the game.

Would you feel the same way if Jacksonville put up 20 points in the first half and the defense didn't give up a score the rest of the game and the Packers still lost?!?

It's incredibly ignorant to blame the defense.

cpk1994
12-14-2008, 03:53 PM

They didn't rely on the defense to bail them out. They took the lead and relied on the defense to make a stop and AGAIN the defense gave up a big play and allowed them to score easily.This. Another 4 quarter lead blown by the defense. Andyet, people on this forum still defend that moron Sanders. If McCarthy really wants to make a statement, he needs to tell Sanders to clean out his office and make Winston Moss interim DC for the rest of this season.

cpk1994
12-14-2008, 03:55 PM

Dude, its a 60 minute game. What happens in the last 5 minutes does not change what happened the entire rest of the game.

Would you feel the same way if Jacksonville put up 20 points in the first half and the defense didn't give up a score the rest of the game and the Packers still lost?!?

It's incredibly ignorant to blame the defense.It's even more moronic how you continue to make exucsaes for the defense simply so you can continue your agenda of bashing Rodgers.

Gunakor
12-14-2008, 04:00 PM

If Jax scores 20 in the first half the second half would have been called differently. It would have been a different game entirely. You assume that if Jacksonville scores 20 in the first half that we finish with the same score. If Jax scores 20 points in the first half, MM doesn't call the second half so conservatively and we score more points. Duh.

Bossman641
12-15-2008, 12:24 AM

How many times did you hear opposing defenders say in the past couple years they were excited to play Favre cause they knew they would always have 3-4 chances at an INT every game? How many times did we see those turn into stupid throws and ridiculous INT's?

It is a slap in the face to every member of the Packer defense to assume that they would play better if Favre were on the sidline watching them. A guy who has never played a single defense snap in his life, and he is going to inspire the defense to play better? Give me a break. I will give you inspiring the offense, but this inspiring the defense and special teams is BS.

channtheman
12-15-2008, 12:33 AM

You see that situation really hasn't happened lately. The last few losses if the defense does it's job and stops the other team (amazing concept, eh?) we win. Simple as that. The scenario you gave hasn't really happened much at all.