PDA

View Full Version : Its not always a Brett Favre thing

dissident94
12-14-2008, 03:21 PM
The guys who cannot fathom critisizing A-Rod cannot get over the fact that A-rod and the offense should take almost as much blame for the record as the Defense.
But as soon as you point out how inept the offense has been they bring up Favre.
It is not a Favre thing anymore. There are serious issues on the offensive side and its not even the line anymore.
Simple fact we need to put up more points on offense to win. Our defense is not that good.
But people only blame the defense. Yes they suck, but so does A-Rod and the offense

HarveyWallbangers
12-14-2008, 03:22 PM
But people only blame the defense.

Hardly. Some people want to mostly blame the defense. Others want to mostly blame Aaron Rodgers.

This gets old.

red
12-14-2008, 03:24 PM
a-rods played good for a first year guy, and he's looked great at times, but with the talent he has at WR he should have been better

and the o-line is just shit. i don't understand how people think our line is good. they are horrible

but the d has been even shittier IMO

the job of the d is to hold the other teams to as few points as they can. its the offenses job to then score more points then the d gives up

both have failed this year. throw in our sucking on st and you get one of the worst teams in the nfl

Partial
12-14-2008, 03:25 PM
But people only blame the defense.

Hardly. Some people want to mostly blame the defense. Others want to mostly blame Aaron Rodgers.

This gets old.

Aaron Rodgers is the leader of the offense like it or not. He's a 4th year player who has started 14 games now. This kind of performance gets criticized on every other team but ours.

He is playing OK. Nothing more, nothing less. When playing against the 24th ranked defense, we are expected to score more than 1 touchdown when we have two borderline all-pro receivers.

dissident94
12-14-2008, 03:30 PM
The O-line is giving Rodgers enough time.

Rodgers makes plays and looks good at times. There has to be some question whether he is a clutch player.

Jeff George for instance could throw the ball better than anyone and could put up huge numbers, but when you really needed him he never could deliver

digitaldean
12-14-2008, 03:31 PM
Enough blame to go around.

The fumble? Cmon if Rodgers isn't mugged by the guy Moll whiffs on it doesn't happen. Grant drops a sure TD. Sure even the late pick, is ARod's fault. The trips in the redzone with 1 TD. Fault the WRs for not getting open enough.

Defense had to really stop 2 weapons, Garrard and Jones-Drew on the ground. THAT ALL. NO Fred Taylor. Top wideouts not playing, tons of OL problems.

Having to make a stop with 5 minutes and 40-50 yards to keep them from FG range and what do we have. Another stupid zone defense play that is blown. We are best at man and we go back to this vanilla bob prevent zone d bullcrap.

This loss is a team loss, but the D bears most of the blame. If you can't see that, you're beyond blind.

dissident94
12-14-2008, 03:36 PM
My god I cannot take this.

The only way this team can win right now is to score. We couldn't get it done. 1 TD by the offense and yo usay the defense is to blame.
Yes they gave up a big play. But the offense should have had 2-3 tds by that point and the game should have been over, same as last week

red
12-14-2008, 03:39 PM
The O-line is giving Rodgers enough time.

i still disagree with that. rodgers scrambles out of the pocket a lot to make it look like he gets more time then he should

when you watch other teams play against us, now that is having all day, rodgers was hurried rushed , hit and sacked quite a bit today

dissident94
12-14-2008, 03:44 PM
Rodgers has enough time. A lot of his scrambles comes when he cannot find anyone open

TennesseePackerBacker
12-14-2008, 03:48 PM
You seriously think the line is not a problem? The packers had 84 rushing yards today before you even take out the negative yardage for sacks. THAT'S NOT A PROBLEM?

think about things before you make stupid posts.

let that sink in.....

edit: and sometimes I need to take my own advice, I don't know why I thought they took negative sack yardage away from team rushing yardage.

Partial
12-14-2008, 03:51 PM
Enough blame to go around.

The fumble? Cmon if Rodgers isn't mugged by the guy Moll whiffs on it doesn't happen. Grant drops a sure TD. Sure even the late pick, is ARod's fault. The trips in the redzone with 1 TD. Fault the WRs for not getting open enough.

Defense had to really stop 2 weapons, Garrard and Jones-Drew on the ground. THAT ALL. NO Fred Taylor. Top wideouts not playing, tons of OL problems.

Having to make a stop with 5 minutes and 40-50 yards to keep them from FG range and what do we have. Another stupid zone defense play that is blown. We are best at man and we go back to this vanilla bob prevent zone d bullcrap.

This loss is a team loss, but the D bears most of the blame. If you can't see that, you're beyond blind.

How? They gave up 20 points. Who cares if they gave up 20 points all in the first quarter or at the end of the game.

It's a 60 minute football game. It's a fact of life your defense is going to give up 20 points per game on average, easily. The Packers need some offense during that 60 minutes, not right at the end necessarily, to outscore the opposition.

Putting the blame on the D for the collaspe at the end despite holding tough all game is dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb. That is a really short sighted way to look at it.

dissident94
12-14-2008, 03:54 PM
You seriously think the line is not a problem? The packers had 84 rushing yards today before you even take out the negative yardage for sacks. THAT'S NOT A PROBLEM?

THINK ABOUT THINGS BEFORE YOU MAKE STUPID POSTS.

let that sink in.....

Since when do you take out negative yards for sacks against rushing. Thats only in college. In the NFL it goes against your passing yards. Not the QBs but the offensive yrds.

Never said line wasn't a problem. I jsut said Rodgers is getting enough time which he is.

dissident94
12-14-2008, 04:00 PM
Look at our mighty offensive drives inthe 2nd half

6 plays 9rds punt

7 plays 30 yrds punt

7 plays 5 yrds turnover -downs

9 plays 50 yrds FG

6 plays 32 yds int

Thats not going to win too many football games. The D held their end for most of the game. The offense couldn't take advatange.

The D is to blame, but come on the offense is not doing anything to win games rigth now

cpk1994
12-14-2008, 04:12 PM

6 plays 9rds punt

7 plays 30 yrds punt

9 plays 50 yrds FG

6 plays 32 yds int

Thats not going to win too many football games. The D held their end for most of the game. The offense couldn't take advatange.

The D is to blame, but come on the offense is not doing anything to win games rigth nowBS, the offense had the team with a 4 quarter lead AGAIN for the 3rd straight week. AGAIN the defense didn't show up in the 4th. Quit making excuses for the defense.

red
12-14-2008, 04:16 PM
THEY BOTH SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the only question is which sucks more ass. with one side playing like shit you can be a so-so team. we have both side, and special teams all playing like crap this year

mr_blonde
12-14-2008, 04:18 PM
The offensive play calling in the second half was piss poor, but Rodgers needs to take some of the blame too.

While Rodgers has statistically played well and for the most part showed good decision making skills; he still has not "finished".

Yes, the defense has time and time again choked at the end; but today Rodgers did have 2 minutes and 2 timeouts to lead the Packers to a game winning TD but couldn't deliver.

dissident94
12-14-2008, 04:21 PM

6 plays 9rds punt

7 plays 30 yrds punt

9 plays 50 yrds FG

6 plays 32 yds int

The D is to blame, but come on the offense is not doing anything to win games rigth nowBS, the offense had the team with a 4 quarter lead AGAIN for the 3rd straight week. AGAIN the defense didn't show up in the 4th. Quit making excuses for the defense.

So I am making up the drive chart above. Oh and I am making up the fact we only scored 3 pts in the second half. But according to you those 3 pts is all that is needed to win because it gave us a lead. Then whoever scores first should always win since its the Defensive job to hold leads right.

We scored 3 points in the second half. And should have had more in the first. This happens and the game isn't even close

cpk1994
12-14-2008, 04:25 PM

6 plays 9rds punt

7 plays 30 yrds punt

9 plays 50 yrds FG

6 plays 32 yds int

So I am making up the drive chart above. Oh and I am making up the fact we only scored 3 pts in the second half. But according to you those 3 pts is all that is needed to win because it gave us a lead. Then whoever scores first should always win since its the Defensive job to hold leads right.

We scored 3 points in the second half. And should have had more in the first. This happens and the game isn't even closePlease. Another one making excuses for the defense. I expect expect the defense to hold a 9 pt lead in the 4th Quarter. Why? ITS THEIR FUCKING JOB! How many 4th quarter leads have to be blown before you finally blame them for their ineptitude? Are you related to Bob Sanders?

dissident94
12-14-2008, 04:29 PM
You expect the defense to do their job but you do not expect the offense.

Both suck

Gunakor
12-14-2008, 04:30 PM

6 plays 9rds punt

7 plays 30 yrds punt

9 plays 50 yrds FG

6 plays 32 yds int

We scored 3 points in the second half. And should have had more in the first. This happens and the game isn't even close

It doesn't matter what the score is. If you have a lead in the 4th quarter it is the defenses job to protect that lead. I don't care if your lead is only one point. If you are ahead by one point in the 4th quarter, your defense is charged with not giving up any. That is what can be reasonably expected of a defense. Come up with stops every time you have to come up with them. Regardless of the spot the offense put them in today, they had the lead in the 4th quarter. It ends there. The team had a lead in the 4th quarter and the defense gave it up, end of story.

Gunakor
12-14-2008, 04:31 PM
You expect the defense to do their job but you do not expect the offense.

Both suck

The offense did it's job. They had given this team a lead in the 4th quarter. Remember?

dissident94
12-14-2008, 04:33 PM
True, the defense is giving up 4th quarter leads.

They Suck

But they shouldn't be put in that spot every game either.

We score 1 td

Socre 3 pts in the second half, when the d held Jacksonville scoreless for over 30 minutes at one point.

The offense couldn't convert either. But no one touches them and the new golden boy

Bretsky
12-14-2008, 04:38 PM
I fall in the middle of this offense versus defense debate

First off I will not blame the game on AROD

The Jags Defense sucks
Green Bay's Defense sucks

BUT if somebody told me before the game Green Bay would only give up 20 points I'd have taken that in a second and figured Green Bay would surely win

If somebody had told me before the game GB's offense will score only 16pts against the Jags I'd have figured they did a shitty job

Just another way to look at it

cpk1994
12-14-2008, 04:40 PM

They Suck

We score 1 td

Socre 3 pts in the second half, when the d held Jacksonville scoreless for over 30 minutes at one point.

The offense couldn't convert either. But no one touches them and the new golden boySo you are saying the defense shouldn't have to hold a 4th quarter lead? I nominate this for the "Dumbest Post of the Year" Award becuase now I have heard it all.

gex
12-14-2008, 04:45 PM

They Suck

We score 1 td

The offense couldn't convert either. But no one touches them and the new golden boySo you are saying the defense shouldn't have to hold a 4th quarter lead? I nominate this for the "Dumbest Post of the Year" Award becuase now I have heard it all. :roll: :roll: :roll:

dissident94
12-14-2008, 04:57 PM
Are you saying then when should win 3-0 if we kick a field goal early.

God damn. The game shouldn't have been close.

Do you think the offense is doing enough to win. Please tell me 3 pts in the second half is good enough to win.

Gunakor
12-14-2008, 04:59 PM

Do you think the offense is doing enough to win. Please tell me 3 pts in the second half is good enough to win.

If we are ahead 3-0 with less than 5 minutes left in the 4th quarter, then yes I expect to win 3-0. I expect our defense to hold a lead that late in the game every single time, regardless what the actual score is.

Rastak
12-14-2008, 05:00 PM

If we are ahead 3-0 with less than 5 minutes left in the 4th quarter, then yes I expect to win 3-0. I expect our defense to hold a lead that late in the game every single time, regardless what the actual score is.

I agree but wouldn't you be pissed if your squad scored 3?

Partial
12-14-2008, 05:02 PM

See, I don't, and I don't think most NFL teams do. You're only going to hold a team X amount of times regardless of the time left. Eventually, they're going to get lucky and something is going to give.

We don't have an elite defense. The offense needs to stop relying on them for so much help.

dissident94
12-14-2008, 05:02 PM
The defense held Jacksonville scoreless for over 2 quarters at one point. During that time Green Bay should have built a big enough lead to no have it close. With the offensive talent this team has that is unacceptable.

Should the defense hold. Yes. My point is the offense isn't doing there job either. The defense played ok today. They did enough to win. They broke down late again, but so did our offense

MJZiggy
12-14-2008, 06:03 PM

See, I don't, and I don't think most NFL teams do. You're only going to hold a team X amount of times regardless of the time left. Eventually, they're going to get lucky and something is going to give.

We don't have an elite defense. The offense needs to stop relying on them for so much help.

So the opponent got "lucky" 6 times this season, huh?

Partial
12-14-2008, 06:06 PM
No, the offense underachieved on several of those occasions. Good teams win sometimes win an offensive score, and sometimes with a defensive stop.

We haven't gotten the offensive score yet. We've been bailed out by the D on a number of occasions, including Minne ( big return from Will Blackmon ), Detroit, etc.

digitaldean
12-14-2008, 06:28 PM
No, the offense underachieved on several of those occasions. Good teams win sometimes win an offensive score, and sometimes with a defensive stop.

We haven't gotten the offensive score yet. We've been bailed out by the D on a number of occasions, including Minne ( big return from Will Blackmon ), Detroit, etc.

You are forgetting some key points here, Partial. The offense DID get them the lead vs. Carolina and Jax only to have the D muff it up.

Last week, a VERY iffy holding call and some wretched O-line blocking forced us out of FG range to win. That can be chalked up on the offense.

ARod at least drove the ball down far enough for a game winning attempt vs. Minny.

So there have been some offensive failings, but mostly this slide falls on the D.

MJZiggy
12-14-2008, 06:38 PM

They Suck

We score 1 td

The offense couldn't convert either. But no one touches them and the new golden boy

Yes, damn the offense for putting them in the horrible position of having a lead. Bastards.

The offense didn't play incredibly today, but they did wind up with a late lead and should have won the game if the defense hadn't failed ridiculously when it mattered most. Should they have had more points? Sure, but these end of game drives are some of the worst football I've seen since the Infante years. You're defending the defense that gave up over 500 yards in a single game this season. That's the worst in over 20 years and you're wanting to lay this season on the offense? The defense has got to be able to hold up a 9-point lead. They weren't ahead by 3, they were ahead by 9. You hold 9 points. Oh and I forgot. They had 1 pressure the entire first half. WTF is that? ONE pressure?

dissident94
12-14-2008, 06:46 PM
So does Baltimore's defense stink then. they gave up a lead late in the game and lost 13-9.

MJZiggy
12-14-2008, 06:48 PM
Depends. Have they done it 6 times this season? If they have, then yes. They suck.

prsnfoto
12-14-2008, 06:48 PM

They Suck

We score 1 td

The offense couldn't convert either. But no one touches them and the new golden boySo you are saying the defense shouldn't have to hold a 4th quarter lead? I nominate this for the "Dumbest Post of the Year" Award becuase now I have heard it all. :roll: :roll: :roll:

It is simple guys like this moron(cpk1994) have TT and MM and Rodgers sausages shoved so far down thier throats and hate Favre so much they will never admit they were wrong so they have to blame everyting on somebody else. Yes the defense has sucked, but so have the above mentioned beyond belief.

digitaldean
12-14-2008, 06:54 PM
So does Baltimore's defense stink then. they gave up a lead late in the game and lost 13-9.

One time can happen to anybody. THREE CONSECUTIVE meltdowns are entirely different.

dissident94
12-14-2008, 07:15 PM
So three times Rodgers gets the ball with timeouts and a chance to comeback and score and three times he thows a pick.

Not even to mention the other game where he threw a pick jsut before half.

So three times makes it a trend right

Partial
12-14-2008, 07:16 PM

You are forgetting some key points here, Partial. The offense DID get them the lead vs. Carolina and Jax only to have the D muff it up.

Last week, a VERY iffy holding call and some wretched O-line blocking forced us out of FG range to win. That can be chalked up on the offense.

ARod at least drove the ball down far enough for a game winning attempt vs. Minny.

So there have been some offensive failings, but mostly this slide falls on the D.

So what? Who cares if they had the lead 5 minutes into a game and lost it or 50 minutes into a game? The game is 60 minutes long.. You look at the score at the end. The D didn't give up very many points at all.

I don't fault the D for losing games in which they held the opposition to 21 and 20 points. That is ridiculous.

Partial
12-14-2008, 07:17 PM

One time can happen to anybody. THREE CONSECUTIVE meltdowns are entirely different.

You act like the Packers offense never had a chance to get the ball, and was putting up 40+ points a game.

It'd be different if we had an offensive explosion, but we're scoring an unacceptable amount of points.

Packers had ample opportunity during the 2nd, 3rd and 4th quarters to change the dynamic of the game but they did not capitalize.

LEWCWA
12-14-2008, 07:22 PM
This is the dumbest argument in the world! The defense can't stop anybody to save their lives. The offense is so inconsistant it is pathetic. ST is crappy as well. This is an all around bad team right now.

dissident94
12-14-2008, 07:26 PM
This is the dumbest argument in the world! The defense can't stop anybody to save their lives. The offense is so inconsistant it is pathetic. ST is crappy as well. This is an all around bad team right now.

Yes finally, this is the exact thing I was saying on the topic starter. Both sides of the ball suck. But wathcing the game today I was saying to myself if they lose in the 4th Q all people will say is the defense stinks again and wont mention the 3 pts scored in the second half

LEWCWA
12-14-2008, 07:30 PM
This is gets argued so much, because a bunch of people around here have their credibility attached to Rodgers. They will defend him at all cost.

digitaldean
12-14-2008, 07:31 PM

You act like the Packers offense never had a chance to get the ball, and was putting up 40+ points a game.

It'd be different if we had an offensive explosion, but we're scoring an unacceptable amount of points.

Packers had ample opportunity during the 2nd, 3rd and 4th quarters to change the dynamic of the game but they did not capitalize.

And you act like we weren't shredded last week by Houston(!) Who only kept us in the game because they couldn't hold onto the ball in the red zone or handle a punt.

I am not debating the offense point at all. The play call to Finley (let alone having him active) was baffling. Grant's drop and Moll's whiff that caused the fumble caused 2 other TD opportunities lost. The fourth and short call and lack of execution, horrific.

I never said you can't lay some blame down on the offense for not making this out of reach earlier. Rodgers could have made better throws down the stretch, especially to Lee on the INT. Lee was open.

That being said, there was one common factor the last three weeks. We had the opponent tied or behind late in the game and it was blown by the D.

LEWCWA
12-14-2008, 07:38 PM

And you act like we weren't shredded last week by Houston(!) Who only kept us in the game because they couldn't hold onto the ball in the red zone or handle a punt.

I am not debating the offense point at all. The play call to Finley (let alone having him active) was baffling. Grant's drop and Moll's whiff that caused the fumble caused 2 other TD opportunities lost. The fourth and short call and lack of execution, horrific.

I never said you can't lay some blame down on the offense for not making this out of reach earlier. Rodgers could have made better throws down the stretch, especially to Lee on the INT. Lee was open.

That being said, there was one common factor the last three weeks. We had the opponent tied or behind late in the game and it was blown by the D.

Another common factor is Rodgers had the ball in his hands with a chance to win and came up empty!

Partial
12-14-2008, 07:43 PM

Yes finally, this is the exact thing I was saying on the topic starter. Both sides of the ball suck. But wathcing the game today I was saying to myself if they lose in the 4th Q all people will say is the defense stinks again and wont mention the 3 pts scored in the second half

Same here. and like a moth to light the masses flock to this argument.

Partial
12-14-2008, 07:45 PM

We were shredded for yards; not points. Very different. I could not care less if a team gets a million yards.. If they score 20 points I'm happy with my D.

The game isn't who gets more yards. It's who gets more points!

digitaldean
12-14-2008, 07:50 PM
Another common factor is Rodgers had the ball in his hands with a chance to win and came up empty!

Yeah, if that's your ONLY means of measuring him being a success, I'll buy that.

Like I said before to Pacopete, you just can't keep discounting the defensive shortcomings. You want to point out 3 pts. of offense in the 2nd half, remember to look at a 50 yard bomb the D gave up. Even McCarren commented he couldn't believe how bad the D played at the end.

Hey, it's a team loss. Both sides should have played better against a subpar opponent.

As little faith as you have for Rodgers to pull games out, I have equally or even less faith in this D holding a lead, no matter who it is. If we have a decent o-line and d-line, we win 4 out of the 6 close games, EASY.

No consistent blocking and virtually no pass rush (Save Kampy) have killed us the whole season. When they perform like they should, we get the Indy and first Bears game. We get the underachieving side, we get the results the last 3 months have brought us.

digitaldean
12-14-2008, 08:00 PM
The game isn't who gets more yards. It's who gets more points!

We are ranked 24th in scoring defense in the league.
http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&role=OPP&offensiveStatisticCategory=null&defensiveStatisticCategory=SCORING&season=2008&seasonType=REG&tabSeq=2&qualified=true&Submit=Go

We are ranked FOURTH in scoring offense in the league.
http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&statisticCategory=SCORING&conference=ALL&role=TM&season=2008&seasonType=REG

Any more questions??

denverYooper
12-14-2008, 08:15 PM
It was disappointing on both sides. Garrard had all day to throw, that was disgusting. The 41 yard rec they gave up to Northcutt was the first 40+ pass play Jax has hit all season. Meh.

I came home and watched the Steelers-Ravens game and am now watching the 'Boys-Jints game. All of these teams are all over the opposing QBs--bang, bang. It's a hell of a lot of fun to see that. I wish our D could do that. Maybe next year.

On the other hand, I think Rodgers has been set up a few times to pull out a game. I think he knows it too, gets anxious in those moments, and makes a bad throw. I can't really ask for much more out of the guy than he's given this season and there are more than enough times he shouldn't be in that position and true enough, other offensive snafus have occurred in crunch times. But dammit if I don't want to see him pull one of those out.

Merlin
12-14-2008, 10:35 PM
It's a team sport and the entire team takes the loss, unless your name is Aaron Rodgers. Rodgers is being treated differently by the media and by the fans. They are giving him far too much credit, for losing. I guess what's old is the love fest for a QB on a team that's 5-9 and clearly talent-wise better on offense then the 1992 Packers, the last time we had a first time starter. The fans and the media threw Favre under the bus many times over many years, especially early and late in his career, and the Packers didn't have a losing season until 2006. Rodgers gets better if not "godlike" like treatment by both the media and the fans. We aren't winning, no position on the team should be getting credit for "not losing", especially the QB. Some of you are STILL throwing Favre under the bus, for winning. When the Jets win, it isn't Favre, when thy lose it's Favre. "Favre sucks", yadda yadda yadda. The fact is that his team is 9-5 and still in the playoff hunt, the Packers are 5-9 and are not, but that's okay because Aaron Rodgers played well right? I am not saying Bret Favre would have made a difference, I am saying that apply your standards equally or STFU about Favre, that era is done in Green Bay.

Gunakor
12-14-2008, 10:53 PM
It's a team sport and the entire team takes the loss, unless your name is Aaron Rodgers. Rodgers is being treated differently by the media and by the fans. They are giving him far too much credit, for losing. I guess what's old is the love fest for a QB on a team that's 5-9 and clearly talent-wise better on offense then the 1992 Packers, the last time we had a first time starter. The fans and the media threw Favre under the bus many times over many years, especially early and late in his career, and the Packers didn't have a losing season until 2006. Rodgers gets better if not "godlike" like treatment by both the media and the fans. We aren't winning, no position on the team should be getting credit for "not losing", especially the QB. Some of you are STILL throwing Favre under the bus, for winning. When the Jets win, it isn't Favre, when thy lose it's Favre. "Favre sucks", yadda yadda yadda. The fact is that his team is 9-5 and still in the playoff hunt, the Packers are 5-9 and are not, but that's okay because Aaron Rodgers played well right? I am not saying Bret Favre would have made a difference, I am saying that apply your standards equally or STFU about Favre, that era is done in Green Bay.

Brett's team is better than Aaron's team. That's basically what you are saying, I think.

It's not really a lack of criticism of Rodgers that I see, rather a proportionate amount given our defensive woes. Since it's proportionate it's not equal, and since it's not equal people bitch that Rodgers doesn't get any. Not true. Even his supporters called him out on the INT in the game thread. It was a poor throw. But I'm not going to go overboard because that's not the reason we lost the game. If the defense does it's job protecting a slim lead it never gets to that point, which is why they get the lions share of the criticism. That's where I am coming from here. That last drive that resulted in a FG to put the Packers ahead should have been the game winning drive, not the one that ended in an INT. That's where I lay the most blame.