PDA

View Full Version : Considering all, will Jennings be a Packer?

GrnBay007
12-14-2008, 03:50 PM
Considering the state of the Packers, will Jennings remain a Packer? Didn't he say he wanted to take a wait and see approach? Is there much for him to hope for from this season?

Would be horrible to lose Jennings.

BF4MVP
12-14-2008, 03:51 PM
I sure as hell hope so.

Generally speaking, the Packers take care of their own..I'd be surprised if they didn't lock him up.

digitaldean
12-14-2008, 03:53 PM
Nothing surprises me anymore in this league.

I want Jennings here and think it will get done. But goofier things have happened.

MJZiggy
12-14-2008, 03:53 PM
I think when he took a wait-and-see viewpoint, he was thinking more along the lines of how much he might be worth on the open market. I think he and A-Rod have chemistry and that he is a feature of the offense.

Rastak
12-14-2008, 03:54 PM
I sure as hell hope so.

Generally speaking, the Packers take care of their own..I'd be surprised if they didn't lock him up.

It's not 100% up to them, if he want to hit the market he can.

That having been said, it they offer up enough coin t make him the top paid receiver in the game I would guess he'd stay where he is familiar with things.

Pack will definately have enough coin.

red
12-14-2008, 03:56 PM
i really fear this, and i have ever since we drafted jordy

and i really got nervous after he turned down the extension

theres WR talent on this team behind driver and jennings. greg will become one of the top paid wr's in the game. i really don't see TT opening the bank for him

i think the nelson pick was a look at TT thinking he was going to lose wr talent in the coming years. you just don't need that much WR talent

and honestly, do we need to keep him? i think nelson has looked good this year, and jones might have just had his break out game, add in driver and ruvell and tt might just say it isn't worth spending that much money when you have talent already at that position

and i think it sucks

GrnBay007
12-14-2008, 03:59 PM
I think when he took a wait-and-see viewpoint, he was thinking more along the lines of how much he might be worth on the open market.

True. But he's an athlete. No doubt looking for a winning team will be part of his decision.

arcilite
12-14-2008, 03:59 PM
WE can always franchise him

MJZiggy
12-14-2008, 04:01 PM

theres WR talent on this team behind driver and jennings. greg will become one of the top paid wr's in the game. i really don't see TT opening the bank for him

i think the nelson pick was a look at TT thinking he was going to lose wr talent in the coming years. you just don't need that much WR talent

and honestly, do we need to keep him? i think nelson has looked good this year, and jones might have just had his break out game, add in driver and ruvell and tt might just say it isn't worth spending that much money when you have talent already at that position

and i think it sucks

I think Jordy was drafted because Driver will eventually retire. So yes, eventually we will lose talent. I love Driver, but he's an older receiver. I think you're wrong, though. I get the feeling that they're slowly moving Jennings to #1 WR and will do what's necessary to hang onto him.

cpk1994
12-14-2008, 04:05 PM

and i think it sucks

I think Jordy was drafted because Driver will eventually retire. So yes, eventually we will lose talent. I love Driver, but he's an older receiver. I think you're wrong, though. I get the feeling that they're slowly moving Jennings to #1 WR and will do what's necessary to hang onto him.I agree here. TT brings in more talent becuase the talent he has will not last forever. Thats how TT tends to draft, for the future.

Bretsky
12-14-2008, 04:05 PM
I'm confused

We WILL franchise Greg Jennings; no way you let one of the top young WR's in the game go.

If he thinks he's getting a free pass to go out and get the biggest deal he can w/o any leverage by GB he'll be mistaken

denverYooper
12-14-2008, 04:06 PM

and i think it sucks

I think Jordy was drafted because Driver will eventually retire. So yes, eventually we will lose talent. I love Driver, but he's an older receiver. I think you're wrong, though. I get the feeling that they're slowly moving Jennings to #1 WR and will do what's necessary to hang onto him.

Yeah. I think he's a big part of what the Packers want to do. And I agree Zig, that he and Rodgers have pretty good chemistry so far.

Partial
12-14-2008, 04:07 PM
I'm confused

We WILL franchise Greg Jennings; no way you let one of the top young WR's in the game go.

If he thinks he's getting a free pass to go out and get the biggest deal he can w/o any leverage by GB he'll be mistaken

Exactly.

TennesseePackerBacker
12-14-2008, 04:07 PM

and i think it sucks

My thoughts exactly, anyone know when Drivers contract is up?

Rastak
12-14-2008, 04:08 PM
I'm confused

You are correct. You may not see him at any OTAs or preseason games but he'll be suited up week 1.

MJZiggy
12-14-2008, 04:10 PM
I'm confused

I'm thinking it doesn't come down to that. I thinking he figures his worth and they work it out.

red
12-14-2008, 04:10 PM
I'm confused

will TT pay him the franchise money?

GrnBay007
12-14-2008, 04:12 PM
I'm confused

Will it interfere will signing his new draft picks? :P

red
12-14-2008, 04:14 PM
I'm confused

Will it interfere will signing his new draft picks? :P

well, if he franchise him, he could then trade him for a first and a second round pick. which he can then turn into multiple 3rd and 6th round picks

tt probably will franchise him

RashanGary
12-14-2008, 04:22 PM
WE can always franchise him

Yep. That is part of the reason the Rodgers signing was important. We need to make sure we don't have too many of our top players expiring at the same time.

We have to start negotiating with Kampman and Jennings this offseason. If we can get one signed it gives us the ability to franchise the other the following year. Since we can only franchise one, it's important that we only have one hitting UFA.

Hopefully both will be reasonable and take top tier deals (but not over the top).

RashanGary
12-14-2008, 04:28 PM
This is a big offseason. I think it would be smart to reach out to Colledge, Spitz, Jennings, Collins, Kampman and Pickett.

If TT is serious about spending his money and not being the youngest team in the league, now would be the time to lock up several of the best players on this team so we're not losing good ones as fast as we get them.

Pacopete4
12-14-2008, 04:30 PM
If I'm Jennings... I'd ask TT if he plans on actually trying to make a push for some veterans and making this team suitable for a championship run... if he says he's staying the course and gonna keep doin what he does, I'd tell him to fuck off and not show to one OTA and play out my franchise'd year and then get the hell outta here

Rastak
12-14-2008, 04:31 PM
If I'm Jennings... I'd ask TT if he plans on actually trying to make a push for some veterans and making this team suitable for a championship run... if he says he's staying the course and gonna keep doin what he does, I'd tell him to fuck off and not show to one OTA and play out my franchise'd year and then get the hell outta here

They could franchise him the next year too.

Pacopete4
12-14-2008, 04:32 PM

then play out that season too.. i'd never sign a long term with this team the way TT is going about business..

cpk1994
12-14-2008, 04:33 PM

They could franchise him the next year too.I didn't think you could if he took the one year tender.

cpk1994
12-14-2008, 04:34 PM

then play out that season too.. i'd never sign a long term with this team the way TT is going about business.. :roll:

Partial
12-14-2008, 04:35 PM

They could franchise him the next year too.I didn't think you could if he took the one year tender.

Yes you can. Then you pay them the average of top 5 salaries at position + 25%.

RashanGary
Jennings is not a free agent after this year. We have him all next year under his rookie contract. After that we get another year with the franchise tag. After that we could use yet another year with the franchise tag.

No matter what Jennings will be here two, probably three more years. Teh Packers have a lot of leverage. It should not get that far though. Hopefully both sides can work out something fair.

red
This is a big offseason. I think it would be smart to reach out to Colledge, Spitz, Jennings, Collins, Kampman and Pickett.

If TT is serious about spending his money and not being the youngest team in the league, now would be the time to lock up several of the best players on this team so we're not losing good ones as fast as we get them.

i think we're seriously screwed if we resign spitz and colledge thinking that they are the future. i think we need to try and find something better. only keep them if we can't find anything better

and pickett has really slipped this year IMO. you have to wait to see if he bounces back

RashanGary
12-14-2008, 04:38 PM
Colledge and Spitz are our best two Olineman this year. I'd lock both up.

red
12-14-2008, 04:38 PM
Jennings is not a free agent after this year. We have him all next year under his rookie contract. After that we get another year with the franchise tag. After that we could use yet another year with the franchise tag.

No matter what Jennings will be here two, probably three more years. Teh Packers have a lot of leverage. It should not get that far though. Hopefully both sides can work out something fair.

but again, that comes down to TT wanting to keep him AND pay him huge money to do it

if he has good young players on the roster making peanuts, then maybe TT doesn't want to pay the big bucks

RashanGary
12-14-2008, 04:39 PM
I hear ya with Pickett though. He was out of camp all year trying to get his conditioning back. Then he struggled all year (although the DL depth plays a huge part of that IMO)

Fred's Slacks
12-14-2008, 04:40 PM

Pete, If you think FA is what builds championship teams, check out this article:

http://bigapplesports.net/2008/02/28/on-the-eve-of-free-agency/

Pacopete4
12-14-2008, 04:41 PM

Pete, If you think FA is what builds championship teams, check out this article:

I don't think it builds ur team but it definitely adds to it and adds to ur core group of players

Rastak
12-14-2008, 04:41 PM

With all due respect it's really helped the Vikings build their team the last 3 years. They had some serious holes and they've filled all but one.

Pacopete4
12-14-2008, 04:42 PM

With all due respect it's really helped the Vikings build their team the last 3 years. They had some serious holes and they've filled all but one.

J-E-T-S, JETS... JETS.... JETS... as well!

RashanGary
12-14-2008, 04:42 PM
We'll see red. I've heard TT say some pretty complimentary things about Jennings. I'm pretty sure he wants to keep him around. Driver is getting older.

Maybe if a great trade comes up he would take it, but there is room for 4 good recievers and Dirver isn't going to be around forever.

cpk1994
12-14-2008, 04:43 PM

http://bigapplesports.net/2008/02/28/on-the-eve-of-free-agency/Actally, all you have to do to see how FA builds championships is to look at all the rings that Dan Snyder and Zigi Wilf have. Oh wait.....

Rastak
12-14-2008, 04:43 PM
We'll see red. I've heard TT say some pretty complimentary things about Jennings. I'm pretty sure he wants to keep him around. Driver is getting older.

Maybe if a great trade comes up he would take it, but there is room for 4 good recievers and Dirver isn't going to be around forever.

He'll keep him. The dude is the real deal.

red
12-14-2008, 04:44 PM

i think the packers need to try and do what the queens did with allen

we don't need anymore really young guys, i think we should trade some picks for some players

you can get some better talent that way then through FA imo

RashanGary

Now they're out of money though and they're not over that hump yet IMO. That's the problem with UFA. It can help, but it costs so much that right when you're ready to win the big one you fall short on cash to finish the deal. I think it hurts more than it helps but we'll see if you guys get your championship and prove me wrong.

cpk1994

With all due respect it's really helped the Vikings build their team the last 3 years. They had some serious holes and they've filled all but one.And how many playoff games has this spending yielded? I'll wait while you count them up.

Rastak
12-14-2008, 04:45 PM

With all due respect it's really helped the Vikings build their team the last 3 years. They had some serious holes and they've filled all but one.And how many playoff games has this spending yielded? I'll wait while you count them up.

BUILD the team......dude, pay attention, they filled the last holes (all but one) THIS year.

JH, what's their cap free number next year?

RashanGary
12-14-2008, 04:49 PM
To me this is judgement time for TT. He's talked about wanting to "win now" and "not being one of the youngest teams in the league anymore".

Now we have a couple of our own elites coming up for contracts (Kampman, Jennings). We have several good players (Spitz, Colledge, Collins, Pickett, Jolly).

If TT is serioius about letting this team grow together and accumulating talent (rather than bringing in new and getting rid of the talent that is here) this is the time for him to show it. All of the time I've supported TT, I've pictured a time when we would lock up the talent rather than let it go and that time is here (we have a chance with a lot of leverage to lock up guys to good, fair deals that really help the team). My support for him can greatly change over the next 2 years. This seems like a better than usual free agent class and fewer teams have mad cash this off season. It could be a very active year for TT. It should be active for our own and we could even see a little more FA activity than we're used to.

RashanGary
12-14-2008, 04:50 PM
BUILD the team......dude, pay attention, they filled the last holes (all but one) THIS year.

Honestly, I'm not sure Ras. Wtih the way they've been spending it has to be diminishing though.

Fred's Slacks
12-14-2008, 04:53 PM
The key word is "Championship" team. Sure you can fill holes to become a contender but look at the last 5 SB champions. They all had minimal FA acquisitions.

Bretsky
12-14-2008, 04:54 PM

Honestly, I'm not sure Ras. Wtih the way they've been spending it has to be diminishing though.

Patler did an analysis and figured we'd be over 30 MIL under the cap going into next year so once again we are very very healthy

Rastak
12-14-2008, 04:55 PM

Honestly, the bucket isn't bottemless so it won't be top 5 in the NFL like the last few years, I will agree. Most of the guys they signed were 4-5 year guys coming off their first contract. I think that makes much more sense then the Redskins method of getting guys coming off their second contract.

RashanGary
12-14-2008, 04:56 PM
The key word is "Championship" team. Sure you can fill holes to become a contender but look at the last 5 SB champions. They all had minimal FA acquisitions.

That's exactly what I'm saying. You can get "better" with free agency but using it too much tends to cost so much that you can never really get over the top.

I'm not completely against it but Pickett, Woodson, Chillar, Donald Lee, Ruvell Martin and company are pretty solid. There are others, but off the top of my head I'm not able to rattle them off. Regardless, we have some good ones and I'm sure we'll keep getting more. This year we might even get more than usual.

cpk1994
12-14-2008, 04:57 PM

JH, what's their cap free number next year?We are talking about building "Championship" teams. The Vikings have spent all this money and STILL haven't made the playoffs. Zigi needs to stop reading "How to build a Championship Fottball Team" by Dan Snyder.

Rastak
12-14-2008, 04:58 PM

JH, what's their cap free number next year?We are talking about building "Championship" teams. The Vikings have spent all this money and STILL haven't made the playoffs. Zigi needs to stop reading "How to build a Championship Fottball Team" by Dan Snyder.

I guess it would be pointless to explain the difference in targets....yea, it would.

Pacopete4
12-14-2008, 04:58 PM

you mean because they are steam rollin into the playoffs as we speak?... because they are running the ball down teams throats like playoff teams do? Or that they beat the shit outta just about every QB they face?... ya stupid GM.. shoulda never paid for that Oline and Dline.. stupid! ha

cpk1994
12-14-2008, 05:01 PM

I guess it would be pointless to explain the difference in targets....yea, it would.My point is that people think that FA is a cure all. The Vikings have provben that it isn't. If it was the Vikes would have made the playoffs by now.

Rastak
12-14-2008, 05:04 PM
No one strategy is a cure everything, I completely agree. I would expect the Pack being young would improve each year but the NFL is tough. I do like several players GB has and TT's done some good things, but you gotta fill holes anyway you can.

RashanGary
12-14-2008, 05:09 PM
I'll give it to the Vikings though, their FA moves have been really, really good. They've made very few mistakes. Adrian Peterson and Kevin Williams are great players that they got high in the draft too. They've really done a nice job the last few years. I acctually think the Bears are doing a nice job too.

The next two years are going to tell a lot about TT. Up till now I've liked the approach adn I accept some growing pains, but the next couple years is going to be show time for TT. I'm hoping for a good, competitive division. If not, TT will be looking for a new job in a couple years. That's no reason to hate him and want to hurt him, but if he doesn't start producing he'll be gone I'm sure.