12-14-2008, 04:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duLds-TZMGw

red
12-14-2008, 05:14 PM
lol

good reflexes to dodge both

LL2
12-14-2008, 08:59 PM
They said on the news that throwing shoes in Iraq is a sign of contempt. I guess the journalist was trying to make a statement while Bush is on his way out.

MJZiggy
12-14-2008, 09:10 PM
Actually I'm more impressed with the first duck. No way to see that one coming ahead of time, but by the second one, you're watching for it.

red
12-14-2008, 10:02 PM
thats what happens when you grow up in a country that doesn't have baseball or football. you get pussy throws like that, how do you miss at point blank range?

i wouldn't have missed

Partial
12-14-2008, 11:29 PM
I'm more impressed with his response than anything.

Kiwon
12-15-2008, 07:04 AM
#1. I'm more impressed by the other Iraqi journalists in the room that had some class and thanked President Bush because there was no free press or independent journalism in Iraq until the US ended the tyranny of Sadaam Hussein.

They have jobs and a livelihood directly because of him.

#2. President Bush wisely waved off his Secret Security detail and let others handle it. He didn't want to embarrass the Iraqi president. I hate the US press that has assailed this man as stupid. He is very smart and can think on his feet.

sheepshead
12-15-2008, 07:27 AM
I was laughing very hard at this. Good for dubya in handling it well.

hoosier
12-15-2008, 07:57 AM
thats what happens when you grow up in a country that doesn't have baseball or football. you get pussy throws like that, how do you miss at point blank range?

i wouldn't have missed

It's not easy to throw a shoe with any degree of accuracy. They're not exactly designed with aerodynamics in mind, like a football. Especially not easy if you're all jacked up on adrenaline like that guy must have been. I wonder if he went to the press conference knowing he was going to throw his shoes at W, or if it was a spur of the moment kind of thing.

texaspackerbacker
12-15-2008, 08:20 AM
He didn't have to wait long for the other shoe. :lol:

You're right, Hoosier. His first couple of throws were high--kinda like Favre in a big game.

I heard the guy wasn't Iraqi at all, but from an Egyptian news service. That makes a helluva lot more sense than for Iraqis to be ungrateful.

packinpatland
12-15-2008, 08:28 AM
I don't care who threw the shoes. Pres. Bush is still President of the United States. If that had happened to one of their officials, on US soil............all hell would be breaking out right now.

sheepshead
12-15-2008, 08:43 AM
I heard Bush posed the question: " Are you gellin'?"

Zool
12-15-2008, 10:26 AM
http://www.evilinternet.com/images/bushshoe.jpg

MateoInMex
12-15-2008, 10:38 AM
#1. I'm more impressed by the other Iraqi journalists in the room that had some class and thanked President Bush because there was no free press or independent journalism in Iraq until the US ended the tyranny of Sadaam Hussein.

#2. President Bush wisely waved off his Secret Security detail and let others handle it. He didn't want to embarrass the Iraqi president. I hate the US press that has assailed this man as stupid. He is very smart and can think on his feet.

Uh, what?

Kiwon
12-15-2008, 10:49 AM

Uh, what?

No, habla ingles?

bobblehead
12-15-2008, 11:52 AM

Uh, what?

Uh...yea, pretty smart dude. I know, not as smart as that biden guy who thinks FDR went on TV in like 1500 or obama who doesn't know how many states we have, but pretty sharp none the less.

Do me a favor and stop reading the stereotypes of the mainstream media.

swede
12-15-2008, 12:10 PM
The forum libs are complaining about the aerodynamics of shoes rather than giving Dubya props for good reflexes. :) Nothing changes.

I like how the secret service guy jumped in front of Bush and he kind of waved the guy off saying, "It's alright...relax Agent Smith...he's just throwing shoes...and unless he's got three feet the dude is out of ammo."

BallHawk
12-15-2008, 04:25 PM
Uh...yea, pretty smart dude. I know, not as smart as that biden guy who thinks FDR went on TV in like 1500 or obama who doesn't know how many states we have, but pretty sharp none the less.

Because that isn't hypocritical or ironic or anything like that.....

Tyrone Bigguns
12-15-2008, 06:52 PM
The forum libs are complaining about the aerodynamics of shoes rather than giving Dubya props for good reflexes. :) Nothing changes.

Which libs are complaining about aerodynamics?

Nothing like an old fool.

HowardRoark
12-15-2008, 07:11 PM

Uh, what?

I was on a treadmill at the club yesterday when it came on a TV. The room was full of people exercising. The guy next to me was an executive looking guy around 55-60. When it came on, he started laughing.

A woman about 30 years old or so next to him called him out in front of everyone. “Are you seriously laughing about this???!!!???” The guy did not even know how to react. He just left.

I gave him the benefit of the doubt….probably was taken off guard by the image on the television. But it seems that others are sick of all the insulting of Bush too. It was good to see.

HowardRoark
12-15-2008, 07:12 PM

It's not easy to throw a shoe with any degree of accuracy. They're not exactly designed with aerodynamics in mind, like a football. Especially not easy if you're all jacked up on adrenaline like that guy must have been. I wonder if he went to the press conference knowing he was going to throw his shoes at W, or if it was a spur of the moment kind of thing.

swede
12-15-2008, 07:20 PM
Now wait...

It was quite funny.

Bush handled himself really well under the circumstances, but it was funny.

The object of ridicule here isn't W...it's the moron journalist pelting a Head of State with shoes. That guy should do a half hour special with Tom Arnold hosting...some kind of an Arab version of "My Red Neck Presser".

Harlan Huckleby
12-15-2008, 07:22 PM
I can't believe that some idiots think this gesture is funny or cool.

Thousands of Americans lost their lives trying to bring a decent government to that god-forsaken land of misery and cruelty.

Where would that shoe tosser be if Bush had decided to pack up and leave when the going got tough two years ago? Probably dead in a giant civil war.

I do understand the anger of the Iraqi people at the failures of the U.S. government.

For American citizens to laugh at this insult is sick. Except probably that is too harsh, more likely the people laughing just haven't thought much about it.

swede
12-15-2008, 07:31 PM
Earlier in the thread someone suggested that the shoe-tosser was Egyptian and not an Iraqi...I don't know this for sure.

I acknowledge Blue Dog that the slapping of someone with a shoe is a very derogatory gesture in the Middle East...it's meant to be a monumental insult.

But you'll have to forgive me for thinking the journalist looks silly pelting shoes at an American President ducking the shots like Joe Frazier. Lord help me, I thought it was funny. And no one was hurt,

And the journalist won't have to pay for another cup of coffee in his life when he gets back to Egypt--he'll be a hero.

All's well...

Tyrone Bigguns
12-15-2008, 07:31 PM

It would be nice if you were semi accurate. It is context my black and white friend.

Aerodynamics was in response to Red criticizing their culture...a non football, baseball sports culture.

It had nothing to do with Bush.

Nobody is complaining about the aerodynamics. Try and follow along.

swede
12-15-2008, 07:50 PM
Lebanese Farmer Digs Up World's Largest Potato

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7771042.stm

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z236/dsteenswede44/_45277745_semhat466afp.jpg

In the Al Jazeera interview he was quoted as saying "I don't know whether I should eat it or throw it at President Bush."

red
12-15-2008, 08:25 PM
this is the first thing i though of when i saw the bush video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5D5oKEVqQJg

MateoInMex
12-15-2008, 08:39 PM

Uh, what?

No, habla ingles?

choong-boon-hee i-hae-hah-go i-soum-ni-da.

But I'm finding it difficult to comprehend your statement I highlighted.

심각한 오 하느님 당신은

HowardRoark
12-15-2008, 09:56 PM

It would be nice if you were semi accurate. It is context my black and white friend.

Aerodynamics was in response to Red criticizing their culture...a non football, baseball sports culture.

It had nothing to do with Bush.

Nobody is complaining about the aerodynamics. Try and follow along.

I thought you were culled.

texaspackerbacker
12-15-2008, 10:01 PM
I can't believe that some idiots think this gesture is funny or cool.

Thousands of Americans lost their lives trying to bring a decent government to that god-forsaken land of misery and cruelty.

Where would that shoe tosser be if Bush had decided to pack up and leave when the going got tough two years ago? Probably dead in a giant civil war.

I do understand the anger of the Iraqi people at the failures of the U.S. government.

For American citizens to laugh at this insult is sick. Except probably that is too harsh, more likely the people laughing just haven't thought much about it.

Cool, No. Funny, Yes. Nobody would confuse me for a lib or a Bush-hater, but I laughed when I saw it. And sure, it's some kind of an Arab or Muslim insult. So what.

In a way, this is symbolic of the way of the world. We take their best shots, duck the shit they throw at us, and come up smiling--really rubbing it in to them exactly why scum like them--whoever "them" may be--will never come close to America in any way. Of course it would have been REALLY cool and funny if an alert secret service guy and seen him winding up, took out his pistol, and blown him away. THAT would have delivered a nice symbolic message too.

bobblehead
12-15-2008, 10:02 PM

Because that isn't hypocritical or ironic or anything like that.....

True, in Biden's case its merely making something up on the spot and saying it because it sounds good.

bobblehead
12-15-2008, 10:07 PM

thanks, my wife is looking at me wondering why I can't stop laughing now.

Partial
12-15-2008, 10:10 PM

Same thing here.

Who throws a shoe, honestly?

Kiwon
12-16-2008, 01:22 AM

Uh, what?

No, habla ingles?

심각한 오 하느님 당신은

알겠어요. 그런데 "Uh, what?" 무슨 뜻 예정했어요? 진짜 Bush 대통령은 유능한 분입니다. 우리 대통령을 경시하지 마세요.

bobblehead
12-16-2008, 01:26 AM

Same thing here.

Who throws a shoe, honestly?

Thats gonna leave a nasty bump!

MateoInMex
12-16-2008, 11:43 AM

Uh, what?

No, habla ingles?

심각한 오 하느님 당신은

알겠어요. 그런데 "Uh, what?" 무슨 뜻 예정했어요? 진짜 Bush 대통령은 유능한 분입니다. 우리 대통령을 경시하지 마세요.

Cha-ma! Cha-ma!

Al-guess-ssum-nee-da

Chal-ja!

Hangul text not included

Freak Out
12-16-2008, 02:09 PM
"This is a goodbye kiss from the Iraqi people, dog"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7785338.stm

The shoes themselves are said to have attracted bids from around the Arab world.

According to unconfirmed newspaper reports, the former coach of the Iraqi national football team, Adnan Hamad, has offered $100,000 (£65,000) for the shoes, while a Saudi citizen has apparently offered $10m (£6.5m).

It just gets better.....

Kiwon
12-16-2008, 05:32 PM
What do you think would have happened if he had hit the Iraqi president by mistake?

Kiwon
12-16-2008, 06:00 PM
"This is a goodbye kiss from the Iraqi people, dog"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7785338.stm

The shoes themselves are said to have attracted bids from around the Arab world.

According to unconfirmed newspaper reports, the former coach of the Iraqi national football team, Adnan Hamad, has offered $100,000 (£65,000) for the shoes, while a Saudi citizen has apparently offered $10m (£6.5m).

It just gets better.....

Peachy. I'm so glad that we do business with these folks.

Efficient alternative fuels can't be developed soon enough.

Forget the PC BS, it's sad when the most notable contributions to the world that Arabs make (yeah, I 'm painting with a broad brush) is oil, opium, and terrorist threats.

But hey, the Persians (Iranians) have done them one better; they've got all those things plus nuclear warheads to threaten with.

Yeah, like I'm so ashamed to be an American?

Freak Out
12-16-2008, 06:01 PM
What do you think would have happened if he had hit the Iraqi president by mistake?

A different portion of the population would be celebrating.

Kiwon
12-16-2008, 06:08 PM

A different portion of the population would be celebrating.

That's true, unfortunately.

And that guy would end up in portions (head, feet, hands, etc.)

MadtownPacker
12-16-2008, 07:02 PM
I laughed when I saw it. I didn't laugh at W though. He kicked ass. Even late night host Conan Obrien who dogs on him constantly gave him big props. I laughed because of the ridiculous act and the way the Prez, as Internet youth likes to say, "owned" his dumbass. That might be the sweetest duck I ever see in my life.

I like Kiwon wondering about what if the guy had hit an Iragi official. I think he is gonna end up jacked regardless but he might have been tortured a lot longer before dying.

red
12-16-2008, 07:13 PM
does the guy get his hands cut off in this type of situation?

or his feet?

arcilite
12-16-2008, 07:45 PM
http://i398.photobucket.com/albums/pp69/marcusd1101/1229398517645.gif

Four more years!

texaspackerbacker
12-18-2008, 12:55 AM
I say this seriously. The new government is scrupulous about both legality and the appearance of legality

The guy will get whatever the penalty is for simple assault in Iraq--probably similar to what it is in this country--misdemeanor jail time. This is no big deal on any level.

Freak Out
12-18-2008, 06:46 PM
http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/Story.asp?Article=238015&Sn=WORL&IssueID=31273

Turmoil in Iraq parliament
Published: 18th DECEMBER 2008

BAGHDAD: Chaos erupted in Iraq's parliament yesterday over the jailing of a reporter who threw his shoes at US President George W Bush, with lawmakers loyal to a radical anti-American cleric demanding his freedom. The parliament speaker responded by threatening to resign.

Muntadhar Al Zaidi was expected to appear yesterday before an investigative judge at Iraq's main court as a first step in a complex legal process that could end in a criminal trial.

Instead, the judge visited him in his jail cell and the family was told to return to the court in eight days, according to the journalist's brother, Dhargham.

"That means my brother was severely beaten and they fear that his appearance could trigger anger at the court," he added.

He said he and another brother were told by the investigating judge that Muntazar had "co-operated well", but that they were unable to attend the hearing and had no further details.

Followers of anti-American Shi'ite cleric Moqtada Al Sadr as well as other Shi'ite and Sunni groups have staged demonstrations for the last three days demanding Al Zaidi's release.

More than 1,500 demonstrators took to the streets in the Baghdad Sunni neighbourhood of Azamiyah to demand his release. Al Zaidi was kidnapped in the same neighbourhood last year and was freed unharmed a few days later.

Al Sadr's supporters in parliament interrupted a session called to review a resolution calling for all non-US troops to withdraw from Iraq by the end of June.

Several Sadrist lawmakers demanded that the session address Al Zaidi's case and allegations that he had been beaten in custody.

Others shouted that the case was a matter for the courts, triggering a noisy argument.

With legislators screaming at one another, speaker Mahmoud Al Mashhadani, a Sunni, shouted: "There is no honour in leading this parliament and I announce my resignation."

In Washington, deputy State Department spokesman Robert Wood said the decision of what to do with Al Zaidi was up to the Iraqis.

"That situation is going to have to work itself through the Iraqi judicial process. It's an Iraqi matter, so it should be left for the Iraqis to deal with," he said.

To avoid a repeat of the drama, tight security measures were introduced at a press conference yesterday between Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri Al Maliki and his UK counterpart Gordon Brown.

Extra security guards were brought in to monitor journalists, and anyone not appearing on a list of accredited reporters was barred, although no one was asked to remove their footwear.

Later, addressing British troops, he quipped: "I was going to say before I spoke that you should take off your shoes because the favourite thing in Iraq these days is to throw shoes at people."

One of Al Zaidi's colleagues said that he had asked the station to send lawyers to defend him, but it was not known if anyone represented him.

More than 1,000 lawyers have offered to defend him, said his attorney.

In Beirut, university students threw footwear at a Bush effigy and set it afire. In Lahore, Pakistan, 150 journalists demonstrated for Al Zaidi's release.

Freak Out
12-22-2008, 06:40 PM
Dubya stimulates the economy. :lol:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/dec/22/turkey-george-bush-shoe

Guiness
12-24-2008, 12:52 AM
I was on a treadmill at the club yesterday when it came on a TV. The room was full of people exercising. The guy next to me was an executive looking guy around 55-60. When it came on, he started laughing.

A woman about 30 years old or so next to him called him out in front of everyone. “Are you seriously laughing about this???!!!???” The guy did not even know how to react. He just left.

I gave him the benefit of the doubt….probably was taken off guard by the image on the television. But it seems that others are sick of all the insulting of Bush too. It was good to see.

Sorry, but I laughed too, as a sort of knee jerk reaction - my reaction was to laugh and say "he threw his f@#$ shoe????" Of course, I once threw a pencil sharpener at my manager during a presentation. I got fired, but the product failed and the company came damn close to following it!

However, I did realize the severity of it when I saw the footage of Sadam's statue being pulled down, and Iraqi's swarming to it and beating it with their shoes. And when I saw that it was premeditated - he bought the shoes special. At first I thought Bush had said something that really upset the guy, and he couldn't think of anything else so threw his shoes. Honestly, that would've been funny. That he bought them special, and went there with the intention of throwing them is a different story.

Freak Out
12-24-2008, 02:31 PM
Bush deserved the shoe.....Americans should have been throwing it first though not an Iraqi. Every member of Congress that has helped squander our billions and push this country to the brink deserves a shoe and a fucking boot!

While I'm throwing shoes I'll throw one at Kissinger and one at an old poster of Nixon I have the rotten bastards.

Humbug!