PDA

View Full Version : "Quick Hit" FB Dive

VegasPackFan
12-14-2008, 04:56 PM
If I see that play one more time I will hunt MM down.

red
12-14-2008, 04:58 PM
thats the second time i remember it

and i remember it didn't work either time, and both had me baffled

VegasPackFan
12-14-2008, 05:00 PM
Second time you remember but the last time it was run two in a row against Carolina on the goal line for the exact same results. At crunch time today, he pulls it out again. Same results.

Brohm
12-14-2008, 05:02 PM
3rd and inches go QB sneak. If not that, roll out. Why give it to our 6th best runner? Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expectng different results :P

denverYooper
12-14-2008, 05:07 PM
Honestly, even though that play didn't work out, I was glad MM went for it.

red
12-14-2008, 05:09 PM

i think we all are. he showed some balls

but them he showed a lack of brains by calling that play

billy_oliver880
12-14-2008, 05:34 PM
The call that bothered me alot was the pitch back to grant. Basically Rodgers pitched it straight back to him and all he did was run right into a wall.

BF4MVP
12-14-2008, 05:36 PM
I hate the FB run..You have to sneak in that situation..Rodgers could have sneezed and gotten the foot that they needed. Has the sneak ever not worked this year?

gbgary
12-14-2008, 07:05 PM

i think we all are. he showed some balls

but them he showed a lack of brains by calling that play

yup. we can't get one yard against a goal-line defense. don't know why he doesn't understand that. he had that crap slapped back into his face a few games ago. duh!!

The Leaper
12-14-2008, 07:11 PM
I did not like going for it on 4th down. We were up 6 points...IMO, you punt and pin them back so they have to go the length of the field to score the go ahead score...as well as waste more clock so when we go down for the go ahead FG, that might be the ball game.

If you are only up 3 points, then I would agree to go for it there.

Guiness
12-14-2008, 07:13 PM
I don't know about using a QB sneak instead of an FB dive. I guess the dive is a little slower to develop, so gives time for the D to solidify the middle.

But honestly, when you're going against a couple of really good DT's with an interior line that you're not sure can get a good push, is that really the play you want?

Guiness
12-14-2008, 07:15 PM
I did not like going for it on 4th down. We were up 6 points...IMO, you punt and pin them back so they have to go the length of the field to score the go ahead score...as well as waste more clock so when we go down for the go ahead FG, that might be the ball game.

If you are only up 3 points, then I would agree to go for it there.

Um, like we did against Carolina? On their 2yd line with 2 minutes to go?

No, I think I'll give it to the O on 4th down, thank you very much.

LEWCWA
12-14-2008, 07:34 PM
The call that bothered me alot was the pitch back to grant. Basically Rodgers pitched it straight back to him and all he did was run right into a wall.

That is MM new little play the last few weeks. Pitch back and run up the middle....It worked against Carolina, but hasn't worked since!

The fullback play is wonderful isn't it!!!!Thing is Grant was lined up in a position that he wasn't even a threat...HMMMM

pbmax
12-14-2008, 07:40 PM
Short memories on the board tonight. This dive at one point was six for six in short yardage, while everyone was complaining about long developing zone runs in short yardage.

Of course, its streak does seem to be over.

channtheman
12-15-2008, 12:39 AM
This play has actually worked many times this year before the last few games where it was called and didn't work. The times when it hasn't worked it was the wrong time to call it.

3irty1
12-15-2008, 03:19 AM

That is MM new little play the last few weeks. Pitch back and run up the middle....It worked against Carolina, but hasn't worked since!

God do I hate that play.

Patler
12-15-2008, 09:06 AM
Short memories on the board tonight. This dive at one point was six for six in short yardage, while everyone was complaining about long developing zone runs in short yardage.

The call wasn't the problem.
A QB sneak would not have worked either, because the "delay" inherent in handing off wasn't the problem.
No one on the O-line moved a defender so much as an inch. That was the problem.

That had to be embarrassing for the O-line. A nine yard run on first down, then the coach gives you 3 opportunities to pick up one yard, and you get stuffed three times. It's one thing to get stuffed like that at the goal line, its a totally different thing in the middle of the field.

sheepshead
12-15-2008, 02:41 PM
Agree with all and I'll add our FB isn't very good either.

Fosco33
12-15-2008, 04:42 PM
M3 has made lots of questionable calls to this fan.

I'd love to see a stat on his 2nd and 1 calls over the last two years. You can almost guarantee a run.

On Sunday, there were multiple 2nd and shorts with handoffs (and neither succeeded). Then on 3rd down they took deep shots down the field (and that didn't work).

Can he at least use the free play for the bomb and then try something less predictable than jamming a RB/FB into a pile of humanity???

I swear - it must've happened a dozen or more times this year. I see the rationale in trying to get a 1st down, but you have to have confidence you can make it on 3rd and short (and obviously, M3 doesn't have that yet).

sharpe1027
12-15-2008, 05:03 PM
The call wasn't the problem.
A QB sneak would not have worked either, because the "delay" inherent in handing off wasn't the problem.
No one on the O-line moved a defender so much as an inch. That was the problem.

That had to be embarrassing for the O-line. A nine yard run on first down, then the coach gives you 3 opportunities to pick up one yard, and you get stuffed three times. It's one thing to get stuffed like that at the goal line, its a totally different thing in the middle of the field.

I disagree that the playcall wasn't partially to blaime. The quick-hitting play is particularly effective because the defense is not expecting it. The Packer's lined up with both backs close to the O-line...so the most likely play was a quick hitter. The only question was which back gets the carry. The defensive line just shot low to push the pile back and didn't even worry about making a tackle.

If you line up with Grant behind the fullback, at least some of the players on the defense have to delay to see where Grant is going.

bobblehead
12-15-2008, 10:00 PM

Glad I kept reading before going off....but I don't remember 6 times, I only recall it working a few times...but I missed games while in thailand.

Bottom line is this. If the OL pushes them back you can hand it to gumby and get the yard...if not, you need some real effort by the runner.