PDA

View Full Version : Matt Cassel plays a great game after father's death

channtheman
12-14-2008, 11:37 PM
So Matt Cassel throws for 200+ yards and 4 TD's the same week his father dies and gets no attention for it at all. I know Brett Favre was on a bigger stage playing on a Monday night with everyone watching, but how come Cassel doesn't get the same or at least some attention? I didn't even know his father died until about 2 minutes ago. I think Favre's performance the day his father died (or was it the day after), was very impressive and I also think Cassel's was as well. I just don't get why Cassel's fathers death wasn't televised or reported on a little more. Or am I just hiding under a rock and should know this? I'm not trying to stir anything, I just wonder why there was so little reported about this. Other than Cassel being a first year starter and Favre being one the best for around 10 years when his father died, what was the difference?

Jimx29
12-14-2008, 11:47 PM
I gotta believe that it's nothing more than the medias overall love for Brett, especially at that time.
I would also hope that tomorrow there will be mention of it on a national level, or at the very least it will get good coverage on the right coast.

The Leaper
12-14-2008, 11:59 PM
The situations aren't exactly the same. Cassell did not lose his father the day before his game. That isn't to minimize Cassell's performance...just as impressive as Favre's IMO.

channtheman
12-15-2008, 12:03 AM
The situations aren't exactly the same. Cassell did not lose his father the day before his game. That isn't to minimize Cassell's performance...just as impressive as Favre's IMO.

I was thinking it was something like that, along with Favre playing on MNF. I hope there is more mention of it in the next few days, though.

Freak Out
12-15-2008, 12:15 AM
I gotta believe that it's nothing more than the medias overall love for Brett, especially at that time.
I would also hope that tomorrow there will be mention of it on a national level, or at the very least it will get good coverage on the right coast.

Ron freaking Jeremy Numb?

digitaldean
12-15-2008, 02:08 AM

Ron freaking Jeremy Numb?

At least he only flipped the bird. I'd be worried if he'd have shown what Ron's more famous for.

sepporepi
12-15-2008, 03:09 AM
Maybe he wanted some more privacy than others...

cpk1994
12-15-2008, 06:23 AM
I would also hope that tomorrow there will be mention of it on a national level, or at the very least it will get good coverage on the right coast.I think you are forgetting the most critical factor, and that is everyone knew Irv Favre. Irv was as much a celebrity as Brett is and was. Anyone even know who Matt Cassel's dad was? You are right about the media's love for Brett, but that was just one factor.

packinpatland
12-15-2008, 10:49 AM
It's been a main story within all the media here in NE.
Both are very sad situations. I would guess that 5 years ago Favre was considered by some to be the face of NFL, not just the Green Bay Packers.
At the beginning of this season, hardly anyone even knew who Cassel was.

prsnfoto
12-15-2008, 01:27 PM
It is on the front page of AOL today and was all over ESPN last week and last night yes you live under a rock I guess, great game by Cassel.

MOBB DEEP
12-15-2008, 04:27 PM

do u remember favre's stats and play that game?

DOESNT COMPARE

Bossman641
12-15-2008, 04:29 PM

DOESNT COMPARE

Not trying to imply that Favre didn't have a fantastic game that night, but the WR's were just as responsible for it as he was. Walker came up huge that game.

MOBB DEEP
12-15-2008, 04:31 PM

DOESNT COMPARE

Not trying to imply that Favre didn't have a fantastic game that night, but the WR's were just as responsible for it as he was. Walker came up huge that game.

great point

Patler
12-15-2008, 04:44 PM
It's been a main story within all the media here in NE.
Both are very sad situations. I would guess that 5 years ago Favre was considered by some to be the face of NFL, not just the Green Bay Packers.
At the beginning of this season, hardly anyone even knew who Cassel was.

But Cassel has become one of THE names of the NFL this season, simply because of the situation he came through. Everyone thought NE was done with Brady out, and Cassel came up with impressive numbers to thrust himself into the spotlight. Not unlike Romo in his first season starting.

channtheman
12-15-2008, 05:02 PM

DOESNT COMPARE

I didn't watch the Pats game and haven't turned on ESPN today so I haven't seen any highlights. The difference between the two looks to me like Favre had 150 yards more passing. Favre did have a lot of deep balls that game and his receivers, as someone mentioned, did not let him down. I think that Wesley Walls the tight end said something like "I told the guys, we catch everything tonight." (something like that anyway) Yes Favre's may have been more impressive being on MNF with everyone watching and throwing for 300 yards in the first half, but Cassel was impressive too.

And to the other guy, well I guess I have been living under a rock. :D I want to see what they say at halftime tonight in the game. If they don't mention it, then I will be shocked.