PDA

View Full Version : What Rodgers has and hasn't done in the 4th quarter

Patler
12-15-2008, 12:07 AM
A lot has been focused on the fact that Rodger has not engineered a two-minute win, and it is true, he hasn't. But what is overlooked is that he has moved the offense late in the game to go ahead and tying scores.

Rodgers has moved the offense to scores that tied the game or took a lead at:

5:40 of the 4th
3:08 of the 4th
2:00 of the 4th
5:35 of the 4th.
He also moved the team to a go ahead FG attempt at the 0:31 mark against MN, after having gotten a FG at the 6:00 mark to increase the lead to 6 points.

The Packers have managed to lose all of those games.

So, while he has failed in his last ditch efforts to get yet another score, he has not been totally ineffective in coming from behind in the 4th quarter to tie the game or get a lead. He has done it in 5 games, and has done it more than once in a couple.

If the defense had held, Rodgers could easily have a few 4th quarter comeback wins to his credit.

Kiwon
12-15-2008, 12:19 AM
The defense, or the lack there of, will be the main story of 2008.

channtheman
12-15-2008, 12:21 AM
Rodgers is being asked to do the impossible by some of the guys on this board. I have never seen another QB held up to the scrutiny that Rodgers is being held to. Even Brady from last year would not have been good enough for this team as the defense would just give it right back up.

digitaldean
12-15-2008, 02:07 AM
A lot has been focused on the fact that Rodger has not engineered a two-minute win, and it is true, he hasn't. But what is overlooked is that he has moved the offense late in the game to go ahead and tying scores.

He also moved the team to a go ahead FG attempt at the 0:31 mark against MN, after having gotten a FG at the 6:00 mark to increase the lead to 6 points.

So, while he has failed in his last ditch efforts to get yet another score, he has not been totally ineffective in coming from behind in the 4th quarter to tie the game or get a lead. He has done it in 5 games, and has done it more than once in a couple.

If the defense had held, Rodgers could easily have a few 4th quarter comeback wins to his credit.

Thank you, Patler. Now if some can actually see through the anger at TT, AR and MM they might be able to see the point.

cpk1994
12-15-2008, 06:20 AM

If the defense had held, Rodgers could easily have a few 4th quarter comeback wins to his credit.Wow, an almost forum wide Patlerizing. Impressive. Most impressive. :)

th87
12-15-2008, 07:11 AM
If you really want to see idiots, check out the ESPN conversations.

Patler
12-15-2008, 08:08 AM
Oops, I posted in the wrong thread! :oops: :oops:

channtheman
12-15-2008, 08:59 AM
I'm just wondering why Partial hasn't posted his response to this yet. In the time after this topic was created, he just made another topic about the same thing about how it's all the QB all the time. Why doesn't he come and respond in this one though?

cpk1994
12-15-2008, 09:18 AM
I'm just wondering why Partial hasn't posted his response to this yet. In the time after this topic was created, he just made another topic about the same thing about how it's all the QB all the time. Why doesn't he come and respond in this one though?He won't respond to a thread that kills his insane blaming of Rodgers.

Partial
12-15-2008, 09:23 AM
I'm just wondering why Partial hasn't posted his response to this yet. In the time after this topic was created, he just made another topic about the same thing about how it's all the QB all the time. Why doesn't he come and respond in this one though?He won't respond to a thread that kills his insane blaming of Rodgers.

Actually, you're both wrong.

As I have said at least 100 times.. Football is a 60 minute game. It's very good that he has lead scoring drives down with a few minutes left.

If he had put up points earlier in the games, this wouldn't happen and he wouldn't be required to rely on the defense.

Any way that you want to slice it, the offense is struggling majorly. Just as bad, if not worse then, the defense.

cpk1994
12-15-2008, 09:26 AM

As I have said at least 100 times.. Football is a 60 minute game. It's very good that he has lead scoring drives down with a few minutes left.

If he had put up points earlier in the games, this wouldn't happen and he wouldn't be required to rely on the defense.

Any way that you want to slice it, the offense is struggling majorly. Just as bad, if not worse then, the defense.Good god, your excusaing the defense is downeright laughable. How many leads does ther defense need to blow before you finally blame them for it?: ANd cutout the bullshit excuses in order to blame ARod for once.

Cheesehead Craig
12-15-2008, 09:54 AM
Any way that you want to slice it, the offense is struggling majorly. Just as bad, if not worse then, the defense.
See my thread about the 2nd half scoring. The offense is just shy of average in scoring, the defense is atrocious in points allowed.

Pacopete4
12-15-2008, 10:18 AM
See my thread about the 2nd half scoring. The offense is just shy of average in scoring, the defense is atrocious in points allowed. but like you also posted with that were 5 teams who will be in the playoffs that were out scored in the 2nd half mainly because there QBs are just better right now... no one on here that i can see is letting the D off the hook but mainly everyone here is ok with mediocre Rodgers meanwhile studs like Cutler and Ryan and so on are over coming their D and getting the job done when it matters the most..

Cheesehead Craig
12-15-2008, 10:39 AM
See my thread about the 2nd half scoring. The offense is just shy of average in scoring, the defense is atrocious in points allowed. but like you also posted with that were 5 teams who will be in the playoffs that were out scored in the 2nd half mainly because there QBs are just better right now... no one on here that i can see is letting the D off the hook but mainly everyone here is ok with mediocre Rodgers meanwhile studs like Cutler and Ryan and so on are over coming their D and getting the job done when it matters the most..
We've outscored 3 of those 5 teams (so it's not logical to say their QBs are better), however our defense has given up more points then any of them. While the offense isn't lighting anyone up, the defense has done more than it's fair share of allowing points.

Patler
12-15-2008, 10:44 AM
It really is very simple, it is a 60 minute game for the offense, defense and special teams. Late game failures are just the most prominent aspect of it.

The Packer offense has failed in opportunities to win at the end of the game.
The Packer defense has failed to hold leads and ties at the end of the game.

In 60 minutes of the game, the Packers are 5th in scoring at 371. #1 has scored 390.
In 60 minutes of the game, the Packers are 21st in points allowed at 339. #1 team has allowed 192.
Offensively the Packers are 10th in yds/game at 343/game, with #1 at 402/game.
Defensively the Packers are 24th in yds/game at 345/game, with #1 at 239/game.

Looking at the games as 60 minute endeavors, does the problem appear to be more in scoring points or in allowing points to be scored? Does the problem appear to be more in gaining yards or in allowing yards to be gained? Is the problem more on offense or on defense?

If the Packers were the #1 scoring team and the defense stayed the same as it is, would it have more of an impact than if they were the #1 team in least points allowed and the offense stayed as it is?

bobblehead
12-15-2008, 10:47 AM

You realize we didn't punt in the first half right?? You know that "earlier in the games" that you talk about.

edit: and I forgot about the dominant running game...grant had 21 or 54 yards..nice.

bobblehead
12-15-2008, 10:54 AM

Yea, atlanta doesn't have like the #1 rushing team in the entire NFL or anything. While I'm ruining stupid arguements I might as well point out they run ZBS too.

Partial
12-15-2008, 10:59 AM

You realize we didn't punt in the first half right?? You know that "earlier in the games" that you talk about.

edit: and I forgot about the dominant running game...grant had 21 or 54 yards..nice.

We didn't punt in the first half to 13 points...

And we scored all of 3 in the second half.

Like I said, blame goes all the way around, but how many weeks are you going to ask the defense to step up big?

The offense has gotten a free pass all season, when at Dallas, Tenn, Minnesota, Texas, and now Jax they have had atrocious games.

Stats aren't everything guys.. Rodgers had over a 104 QB rating last week at Texas and was graded out as receiving an F for the week by the coaching staff according to Fox (they said it at least 5 times during the game). Our qb FAILED last week. Not an A, not a B, not a C, but a big fat big ol' 0.0 GPA failure.

cpk1994
12-15-2008, 11:07 AM

Like I said, blame goes all the way around, but how many weeks are you going to ask the defense to step up big?The offense has gotten a free pass all season, when at Dallas, Tenn, Minnesota, Texas, and now Jax they have had atrocious games.

Stats aren't everything guys.. Rodgers had over a 104 QB rating last week at Texas and was graded out as receiving an F for the week by the coaching staff according to Fox (they said it at least 5 times during the game). Our qb FAILED last week. Not an A, not a B, not a C, but a big fat big ol' 0.0 GPA failure.If the Packers have a lead in the 4th quarter, I am going to demand they hold that up EVERY FUCKING TIME. BECAUSE THAT IS THEIR FUCKING JOB. Our QB didn't fail. He put the team in postion to win. The D failed. AGAIN.

sharpe1027
12-15-2008, 11:07 AM
Like I said, blame goes all the way around, but how many weeks are you going to ask the defense to step up big?

Right now, I would settle for just one week.

Partial
12-15-2008, 11:12 AM

Like I said, blame goes all the way around, but how many weeks are you going to ask the defense to step up big?The offense has gotten a free pass all season, when at Dallas, Tenn, Minnesota, Texas, and now Jax they have had atrocious games.

Stats aren't everything guys.. Rodgers had over a 104 QB rating last week at Texas and was graded out as receiving an F for the week by the coaching staff according to Fox (they said it at least 5 times during the game). Our qb FAILED last week. Not an A, not a B, not a C, but a big fat big ol' 0.0 GPA failure.If the Packers have a lead in the 4th quarter, I am going to demand they hold that up EVERY FUCKING TIME. BECAUSE THAT IS THEIR FUCKING JOB. Our QB didn't fail. He put the team in postion to win. The D failed. AGAIN.

And the Ravens defense failed last night, too, right.

The offenses job is to put up enough points that after 60 minutes of football have passed, they have more than the other team. They have not done this the past couple weeks, have they?

Patler
12-15-2008, 11:12 AM
Stats aren't everything guys.. Rodgers had over a 104 QB rating last week at Texas and was graded out as receiving an F for the week by the coaching staff according to Fox (they said it at least 5 times during the game). Our qb FAILED last week. Not an A, not a B, not a C, but a big fat big ol' 0.0 GPA failure.

If that is actually what Fox said, they are wrong, because the Packers have said many times that they evaluate players on a "+/-" scale, not "A, B, C or F". If it is like most teams, each play is evaluated on both decision and execution, two grades for each play. However, the overall rating for the game is not just the net difference of pluses and minuses. I don't know what the Packer cutoff is, but I know for some teams a total of 5 minuses in 60 plays can earn a game rating of minus. With two grades on each play, in 60 plays you could conceivably have 115 pluses and five minuses and get a minus game evaluation.

sharpe1027
12-15-2008, 11:27 AM

The offenses job is to put up enough points that after 60 minutes of football have passed, they have more than the other team. They have not done this the past couple weeks, have they?

How long does it usually take for you to decide on a position that you know will cause a big stir? Do you make a list of positions and then chose the most contentioius one? Just curious.

Bossman641
12-15-2008, 11:39 AM

How long does it usually take for you to decide on a position that you know will cause a big stir? Do you make a list of positions and then chose the most contentioius one? Just curious.

I 100% guarantee you that if you asked the Ravens defense if they failed they would tell you yes. They wouldn't hang their hat on holding the Steelers to 13 points in 60 minutes.

“Whatever you did the rest of the day doesn’t mean a whole lot when you give up points in the clutch,” linebacker A.J. Hawk said.

Gunakor
12-15-2008, 02:10 PM

Every time. Partial, the DEFENSE is the unit charged with winning football games. Why is it so hard for you to look at it that way? Offense scores points, but DEFENSE wins games. That's how the most successful teams in the history of this league have become successful. Christ, the year Brett Favre won a Super Bowl with the Packers we had the #1 ranked defense in the NFL. I'm right P. I don't know how much better I can explain it. So how many weeks am I going to demand the defense to step up big? 19 weeks, including the playoffs, every single year. That's how many.

Partial
12-15-2008, 02:46 PM

Every time. Partial, the DEFENSE is the unit charged with winning football games. Why is it so hard for you to look at it that way? Offense scores points, but DEFENSE wins games. That's how the most successful teams in the history of this league have become successful. Christ, the year Brett Favre won a Super Bowl with the Packers we had the #1 ranked defense in the NFL. I'm right P. I don't know how much better I can explain it. So how many weeks am I going to demand the defense to step up big? 19 weeks, including the playoffs, every single year. That's how many.

So the offense has no responsibly to win football games? That is essentially what you're saying.

Obviously defense plays a role and our defense sucks... but again, look at the amount of points given up and you see that had the offense had a even remotely successful day, they wouldn't have been in position to lose the game.

That is the point I have made all along that evidently some people are incapable of grasping.

sharpe1027
12-15-2008, 03:37 PM
So the offense has no responsibly to win football games? That is essentially what you're saying.

Obviously defense plays a role and our defense sucks... but again, look at the amount of points given up and you see that had the offense had a even remotely successful day, they wouldn't have been in position to lose the game.

That is the point I have made all along that evidently some people are incapable of grasping.

Your point was that:
"Any way that you want to slice it, the offense is struggling majorly. Just as bad, if not worse then, the defense."

If you had said simply said the offense was also to blame, nobody would have argued.

GBRulz
12-15-2008, 05:02 PM

When I look at the games you have listed above, I can't say that I'm impressed at all. An offense that can't score any points in the last 10 minutes of the game isn't exactly what I'd consider stellar. And yet all people seem to do is gripe about the defense. There certainly is enough blame to go around on both sides of the ball.

The number one problem overall (offensively) IMO is M3's play calling. It has been atrocious this year. I think Aaron, given the whole circus that he's had to deal with, has done an excellent job this year. I don't think people realize how distracting the Favre scenario was to this team. Perhaps that was hurting us from the very start of the season.

Also, I was very impressed when Aaron played through the shoulder injury. Does he have a lot to improve upon, of course. But for his first year and the current state of the team, he is the least of my worries right now.

highlander
12-15-2008, 05:40 PM
It really is very simple, it is a 60 minute game for the offense, defense and special teams. Late game failures are just the most prominent aspect of it.

In 60 minutes of the game, the Packers are 5th in scoring at 371. #1 has scored 390.
In 60 minutes of the game, the Packers are 21st in points allowed at 339. #1 team has allowed 192.

Looking at the games as 60 minute endeavors, does the problem appear to be more in scoring points or in allowing points to be scored? Does the problem appear to be more in gaining yards or in allowing yards to be gained? Is the problem more on offense or on defense?

If the Packers were the #1 scoring team and the defense stayed the same as it is, would it have more of an impact than if they were the #1 team in least points allowed and the offense stayed as it is?
Also The Packers O at least going into yesterdays game was the #1 4th Quarter scoring Offense in the NFL.

Gunakor
12-15-2008, 06:49 PM

Also The Packers O at least going into yesterdays game was the #1 4th Quarter scoring Offense in the NFL.

Careful. There are people here that would be quick to correct you on that. Defense and ST's scores don't count anymore apparently, so we are only the 15th or 16th best or something like that. I'm sure they'll be here to let you know the exact ranking.

For the record, I'm with you on this one.

Gunakor
12-15-2008, 06:51 PM

When I look at the games you have listed above, I can't say that I'm impressed at all. An offense that can't score any points in the last 10 minutes of the game isn't exactly what I'd consider stellar. And yet all people seem to do is gripe about the defense. There certainly is enough blame to go around on both sides of the ball.

Patler just listed 5 games where the offense scored tying or winning points in the last 10 minutes of the game only to have the defense give it right back...