PDA

View Full Version : What We need To Do To FIX Us.

packers04
12-15-2008, 09:53 AM
This is what Ted and Mike need to do this off-season before I predict a play off run in 2009.

Scrap the Zoneblocking scheme. It's time we follow the New York Giants philosophy.... pound that fucking rock.
Josh Sitton, Jason Spitz, Mark Tauscher, Chad Clifton all fit the power run schemes, that's enough to make it work. Draft some big bodies in the draft for depth.

Before you do anything else, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE stop being loyal to Marty Schottenheimer and fire that piece of shit Kurt Schottenheimer. He's Worthless. (BTW, i love marty)

In the draft and free agency both, PASS RUSH PASS RUSH PASS RUSH PASS RUSH, oh did i mention pass rush? This should be their number 1 focus this offseason as it is their number 1 deficiency by far.

If there 's available defensive coordinator out there that fits our scheme and what we want to do, entertain the thought of hiring him. I just am not sure about Bob Sanders. Even though alot of it is not his fault. The guys we have right now couldnt pass rush my grandmother. and that is what this scheme is predicated on. a pass rush from the front four.

Extend Greg Jennings, Nick Collins and Sign Mark TAuscher to a 1 or 2 year deal and extend a couple of the other guys coming up for Free Agency.

thanks. i think ive covered everything i wanted to cover.

HarveyWallbangers
12-15-2008, 10:17 AM
I wouldn't be opposed to any of this. On the plus side, I think we can win with the players we have--as long as we get the DL fixed.

cpk1994
12-15-2008, 10:45 AM
This is what Ted and Mike need to do this off-season before I predict a play off run in 2009.

Scrap the Zoneblocking scheme. It's time we follow the New York Giants philosophy.... pound that fucking rock.
Josh Sitton, Jason Spitz, Mark Tauscher, Chad Clifton all fit the power run schemes, that's enough to make it work. Draft some big bodies in the draft for depth.

Before you do anything else, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE stop being loyal to Marty Schottenheimer and fire that piece of shit Kurt Schottenheimer. He's Worthless. (BTW, i love marty)

In the draft and free agency both, PASS RUSH PASS RUSH PASS RUSH PASS RUSH, oh did i mention pass rush? This should be their number 1 focus this offseason as it is their number 1 deficiency by far.

If there 's available defensive coordinator out there that fits our scheme and what we want to do, entertain the thought of hiring him. I just am not sure about Bob Sanders. Even though alot of it is not his fault. The guys we have right now couldnt pass rush my grandmother. and that is what this scheme is predicated on. a pass rush from the front four.

Extend Greg Jennings, Nick Collins and Sign Mark TAuscher to a 1 or 2 year deal and extend a couple of the other guys coming up for Free Agency.

thanks. i think ive covered everything i wanted to cover.You do realize that Kurt Schottenheimer's unit is the only thing on D that is competent, don't you?

packers04
12-15-2008, 10:59 AM
please dont ever try to defend kurt schottenheimer, he couldnt coach his sons high schoool football team.

cpk1994
12-15-2008, 11:01 AM
please dont ever try to defend kurt schottenheimer, he couldnt coach his sons high schoool football team.You didn't answer my question His unit is the only part of the D that is producing, isn't it?

PackerBlues
12-15-2008, 11:06 AM
What We need To Do To FIX Us?

The same thing we needed prior to the start of this season:

A GM that uses Free Agency.

A Coach that can get his players on the same page for game winning drives.

An effective pass rush that can pressure opposing QB's.

Offensive linemen that can handle BOTH pass and run blocking without the penalties. Would our interior 3 even be starters on any other team?

Gunakor
12-15-2008, 01:50 PM

thanks. i think ive covered everything i wanted to cover.You do realize that Kurt Schottenheimer's unit is the only thing on D that is competent, don't you?

I felt the same way until the past few weeks. Now I'm not so sure. Kurt's secondary has not been able to stop a huge play from occurring in the final 5 minutes of any game we've played in the past month. Yeah, Kurt gets his fair share of the blame as well.

Rastak
12-15-2008, 06:29 PM
please dont ever try to defend kurt schottenheimer, he couldnt coach his sons high schoool football team.

I take it you are in a position to judge his body of work on a professional level?

Myself? As a fan I can only assume if a certain group is severly underperforming, although I would have no idea what he's teaching the guys.

In Green Bay's case, as was pointed out, the secondary is playing well. A young player like Williams is playing well.

What inside knowledge or evidence do you have that the guy couldn't coach a high school team?

billy_oliver880
12-15-2008, 07:21 PM

You ever heard of a thing called pass rush? :roll:

Fred's Slacks
12-15-2008, 08:55 PM

We have one of those. See: Woodson, Picket, Chillar, Lee, Bigby, Martin. We also had the highest offer to a couple top tier FA's but they chose to go elsewhere for personal reasons.

If you think splurging in FA is what wins championships, take a look at the last 5 super bowl champions. I am not saying that we shouldn't use it but the best teams use it cautiously.

bobblehead
12-15-2008, 08:58 PM

We have one of those. See: Woodson, Picket, Chillar, Lee, Bigby, Martin. We also had the highest offer to a couple top tier FA's but they chose to go elsewhere for personal reasons.

If you think splurging in FA is what wins championships, take a look at the last 5 super bowl champions. I am not saying that we shouldn't use it but the best teams use it cautiously.

YOu forgot tramon williams who is looking pretty fricking good....lets compare him to that dude san fran signed, nate clements.

Bretsky
12-15-2008, 09:08 PM

TT certainly digs trying to find the scrap heap free agents who are not cutting it, but I have a hard time using them to argue how TT is aggressive in free agency. Guys like Lee, Martin,and Bigby fall there.

I say TT attempted to play free agency one out of three years

Year one brought Woodsen and Pickett; this was his year of opening up the wallet

Year two brought Frankie Walker

Year three brought Chillar

In year one TT was involved early when players were out there that other teams were aggressively pursuing.

In years two and three TT decided to hibernate the first couple weeks while teams made their marks with the coveted players.

It's hardly debateable TT has not put out a good enough DL this year. We need one DT and one DE. Both real players.

One should come from free agency and the other a top draft pick.

Here's to hoping TT does not hibernate and kick er back the first few weeks in free agency to see how things play out .

Rastak
12-15-2008, 09:23 PM
I mentioned this in another thread but targeting guys who are coming off their first contracts is a pretty decent approach. Wasn't Pickett in that category? I know Woodson wasn't but with his injury problems he certainly was a steal as he overcame that.

The danger is signing 32 year old guys to big contracts ala Snyder.

texaspackerbacker
12-15-2008, 09:25 PM

thanks. i think ive covered everything i wanted to cover.

Stupid Stupid Stupid!

This is exactly what we don NOT need to do BOTH on offense and defense.

This team has been coming frustratingly close against a lot of good teams at good times in the opponents' season, and that has been with a ton of injuries and assorted other bad luck.

If you want to see the Packers go down the drain toward permanent mediocrity, just follow the crap in this original post, and do what the chronic mediocre teams do.

Keeping Jennings and Collins, and maybe Tauscher, depending on health and price, are about the ONLY good ideas in that post.

I wouldn't be opposed to mortgaging the farm and signing Julius Peppers, although I really don't expect that. We need to stabilize the O Line, keep the ZBS scheme, open up the play calling and let Rodgers throw to set up the run, and maybe draft a speedy change of pace RB in the 2nd to 4th round--a Felix Jones or Steve Slaton-type runner. I would also like to see the Packers draft Pat White or somebody similar in the 4th to 6th round as kind of a "slash" type player--getting the capability to go to some short yardage option or "wildcat" type stuff. Other than that, just get everybody, particularly Barnett, back and healthy, and keep on keeping on.

Bretsky
12-15-2008, 09:29 PM
I mentioned this in another thread but targeting guys who are coming off their first contracts is a pretty decent approach. Wasn't Pickett in that category? I know Woodson wasn't but with his injury problems he certainly was a steal as he overcame that.

The danger is signing 32 year old guys to big contracts ala Snyder.

Yes, Pickett was coming off his first contract and seemed to be coming into his own. Rams wanted to keep him.

HarveyWallbangers
12-15-2008, 09:29 PM
I think Thompson favors the draft, but I think people on both sides go overboard. Thompson has brought in FAs. He has missed out on more FAs than people give him credit for, and it's not all his fault. There are several guys that he offered the highest contract, and they turned him down. Maybe they didn't want to play in tiny Green Bay (Vinatieri, Arrington). Should he not just overpay, but really overpay? That wouldn't be prudent. From what I've read, he thought deals were done for Randy Moss and Tony Gonzalez, only to have the opposing GM pull off some last minute shenanigans.

I'm predicting that he signs two big name FAs this offseason. One of them will be on the DL. Then again, I don't even know who will ultimately be available, but I have a feeling he'll surprise us.

Bretsky
12-15-2008, 09:31 PM
I think Thompson favors the draft, but I think people on both sides go overboard. Thompson has brought in FAs. He has missed out on more FAs than people give him credit for, and it's not all his fault. There are several guys that he offered the highest contract, and they turned him down. Maybe they didn't want to play in tiny Green Bay (Vinatieri, Arrington). Should he not just overpay, but really overpay? That wouldn't be prudent. From what I've read, he thought deals were done for Randy Moss and Tony Gonzalez, only to have the opposing GM pull off some last minute shenanigans.

I'm predicting that he signs two big name FAs this offseason. One of them will be on the DL. Then again, I don't even know who will ultimately be available, but I have a feeling he'll surprise us.

2 Big Names ? That's like predicting the playoffs for the Brewers next year :lol: :lol:

HarveyWallbangers
12-15-2008, 09:38 PM
2 Big Names ? That's like predicting the playoffs for the Brewers next year :lol: :lol:

Here's why it wouldn't surprise me. When Thompson did pick up Woodson and Pickett, he saw obvious need positions and saw that there weren't candidates internally. He signed those guys. I think he probably thought the DL was covered this year. He probably thought KGB had another year in him, Jenkins would stay healthy, Pickett wouldn't get injured, Jolly would take a step up, maybe even thought Harrell would help out. He has to look at that position now and say that it has to be fixed outside of the organization. He probably felt the same at a number of the positions. I don't know if guys got soft after the 2007 season, but not a lot of young guys stepped up this year. I think Colledge has stepped up a bit. Brandon Jackson has stepped up. Tramon Williams and Nick Collins also. That's about it.

I'm changing my prediction though. I'll predict that he signs a couple of DL and one of them will be a big name.

Partial
12-15-2008, 09:42 PM

I really hope its not Haynesworth. Something about him just doesn't sit right with me at all. Not sure what it is.

Anyway, I think Jolly is going to be a player. He needs to get his crap together this off-season, though.

Bretsky
12-15-2008, 10:06 PM

Here's why it wouldn't surprise me. When Thompson did pick up Woodson and Pickett, he saw obvious need positions and saw that there weren't candidates internally. He signed those guys. I think he probably thought the DL was covered this year. He probably thought KGB had another year in him, Jenkins would stay healthy, Pickett wouldn't get injured, Jolly would take a step up, maybe even thought Harrell would help out. He has to look at that position now and say that it has to be fixed outside of the organization. He probably felt the same at a number of the positions. I don't know if guys got soft after the 2007 season, but not a lot of young guys stepped up this year. I think Colledge has stepped up a bit. Brandon Jackson has stepped up. Tramon Williams and Nick Collins also. That's about it.

I'm changing my prediction though. I'll predict that he signs a couple of DL and one of them will be a big name.

WAIT A MINUTE; you can't change a bold prediction

2 bold FA signings would mean the turtle starts to cross the street at the beginning of free agency

One big name and a guy at DL; many in here will think he's an idiot if he doesn't do at least that :!:

Partial
12-15-2008, 10:08 PM
Peppers and Haynesworth :lol:

Those two and Kamp on the same line. Oh god! :lol: :shock:

Fred's Slacks
12-16-2008, 06:31 AM

TT certainly digs trying to find the scrap heap free agents who are not cutting it, but I have a hard time using them to argue how TT is aggressive in free agency. Guys like Lee, Martin,and Bigby fall there.

I say TT attempted to play free agency one out of three years

Year one brought Woodsen and Pickett; this was his year of opening up the wallet

Year two brought Frankie Walker

Year three brought Chillar

In year one TT was involved early when players were out there that other teams were aggressively pursuing.

In years two and three TT decided to hibernate the first couple weeks while teams made their marks with the coveted players.

It's hardly debateable TT has not put out a good enough DL this year. We need one DT and one DE. Both real players.

One should come from free agency and the other a top draft pick.

Here's to hoping TT does not hibernate and kick er back the first few weeks in free agency to see how things play out .

Who's arguing that TT is aggressive in FA? The complaint was for a GM who uses it. Well we definately have one of those. Looking at how the best teams were built lately, that's exactly what you want.

Fritz
12-16-2008, 06:45 AM

Kurt Schottenheimer's unit? Shouldn't this thread be in the garbage can?!

cpk1994
12-16-2008, 07:05 AM

Kurt Schottenheimer's unit? Shouldn't this thread be in the garbage can?!Damn, you Fritz, I almost spit Coke on my monitor. :lol:

pbmax
12-16-2008, 07:28 AM
... Chad Clifton all fit the power run schemes, that's enough to make it work.
I refuse to take your premise seriously until you read every article mentioning Chad Clifton in his career and find me an example of someone judging him to be a fine power run blocker. Clifton as a run blocker is a traffic cone and not much else. Was even the same pre-injury.

As for Schottenheimer, Kurt, while the disaster of 2004 has receded from memory, it is entirely possible that the difficulty with he and Washington is that neither can communicate how to effectively run a zone coverage. If we stick to man, we seem to be OK. Put us in zone and the world comes to an end. But this still raises the question; coaching or players?