PDA

View Full Version : Questionable Coaching Decisions

Patler
12-15-2008, 10:23 AM
Something talked about in many threads, so I thought I would centralize it. Hindsight is easy, but which ones raised your suspicions as they occurred? I'll start:

- going to Finley on crucial plays, when he is no part of the offense at other times. Has he earned it?
- having Finley in the game at crucial times, when he continually has screwed up. Has he earned the confidence?
- putting the whole game into a 4th and 1, at midfield with a lead, when the offense has failed miserably the last two plays. The momentum swing was huge.
- getting "cute" at crucial times, such as running goal-to-go plays the offense seems confused about, with WRs running into each otheron one, players not knowing the formation on others, etc.. Don't you have "bread and butter" plays for down there?

....and that's just in the most recent game! :cry:

Cheesehead Craig
12-15-2008, 10:42 AM
I'd like to add that on the last INT that all 4 WRs were on deep routes and there was nobody running a short 10 yd route. We were at our own 48 yard line with 40 sec left and a time out. We had plenty of time to still go with those 10-12 yd routes to go down the field. Horrible play call to force the QB to make a good deep throw, which didn't happen.

bobblehead
12-15-2008, 10:44 AM
I think they absolutely LOVE finleys ability and are giving him a "pre training camp" since we are out of it anyway.

rbaloha1
12-15-2008, 10:47 AM
Running the fb on 4th and short.

Play action would have worked big time.

Patler
I think they absolutely LOVE finleys ability and are giving him a "pre training camp" since we are out of it anyway.

Could be, but they did even before they were out of it.

Pacopete4
I'd like to add that on the last INT that all 4 WRs were on deep routes and there was nobody running a short 10 yd route. We were at our own 48 yard line with 40 sec left and a time out. We had plenty of time to still go with those 10-12 yd routes to go down the field. Horrible play call to force the QB to make a good deep throw, which didn't happen. oh my.... now i've heard it all on this forum.. forcing the qb to throw an int... hahaha.. wowzas

Patler
12-15-2008, 10:48 AM
I'd like to add that on the last INT that all 4 WRs were on deep routes and there was nobody running a short 10 yd route. We were at our own 48 yard line with 40 sec left and a time out. We had plenty of time to still go with those 10-12 yd routes to go down the field. Horrible play call to force the QB to make a good deep throw, which didn't happen.

Agreed, and the route they wanted was to the middle of the field. Usually those are the riskier passes, especially deep.

cpk1994
12-15-2008, 10:49 AM
Something talked about in many threads, so I thought I would centralize it. Hindsight is easy, but which ones raised your suspicions as they occurred? I'll start:

- going to Finley on crucial plays, when he is no part of the offense at other times. Has he earned it?
- having Finley in the game at crucial times, when he continually has screwed up. Has he earned the confidence?
- putting the whole game into a 4th and 1, at midfield with a lead, when the offense has failed miserably the last two plays. The momentum swing was huge.
- getting "cute" at crucial times, such as running goal-to-go plays the offense seems confused about, with WRs running into each otheron one, players not knowing the formation on others, etc.. Don't you have "bread and butter" plays for down there?

....and that's just in the most recent game! :cry:Your last bullet point was even happening last year as well. As an example there were a few times he would line up 5 wide on the goal line.

sheepshead
12-15-2008, 10:50 AM
Good point on Finley---would rather have seen Babba in there!

cpk1994
12-15-2008, 10:51 AM
I'd like to add that on the last INT that all 4 WRs were on deep routes and there was nobody running a short 10 yd route. We were at our own 48 yard line with 40 sec left and a time out. We had plenty of time to still go with those 10-12 yd routes to go down the field. Horrible play call to force the QB to make a good deep throw, which didn't happen. oh my.... now i've heard it all on this forum.. forcing the qb to throw an int... hahaha.. wowzasReading comprehension is not your strongest suit obviously. He never said the QB was forced to throw an INT. HE said the QB was forced to throw a good deep ball becuase all the recievers ran deep. Franky your trolling is getting quite old.

Partial
12-15-2008, 10:52 AM

I tend to agree, but the dude won't be on the roster next year if he doesn't learn to STFU. You don't throw your QB under the bus. Remember what happened with the "idiot" kicker.

Partial
12-15-2008, 10:53 AM

....and that's just in the most recent game! :cry:Your last bullet point was even happening last year as well. As an example there were a few times he would line up 5 wide on the goal line.

But that is because we have such a midget OL. They spread out to neutralize the size disadvantage. Going 5 wide is dumb, though. I'd go 4 personally with a back to really keep the D on its toes.

Patler
12-15-2008, 10:55 AM
I'd like to add that on the last INT that all 4 WRs were on deep routes and there was nobody running a short 10 yd route. We were at our own 48 yard line with 40 sec left and a time out. We had plenty of time to still go with those 10-12 yd routes to go down the field. Horrible play call to force the QB to make a good deep throw, which didn't happen. oh my.... now i've heard it all on this forum.. forcing the qb to throw an int... hahaha.. wowzas

It's not forcing him to throw an interception, but it is selecting plays that are riskier in nature. In 2006, how many time did you hear MM complain about Favre's decisions to throw deep, in the middle, especially late in a play resulting in an interception. He said it is something they coach against all the time because of the risk. Those are always the riskier throws, yet by the play call he gave Rodgers only the riskier options. Is that a wise coaching decision?

cpk1994
12-15-2008, 10:59 AM

It's not forcing him to throw an interception, but it is selecting plays that are riskier in nature. In 2006, how many time did you hear MM complain about Favre's decisions to throw deep, in the middle, especially late in a play resulting in an interception. He said it is something they coach against all the time because of the risk. Those are always the riskier throws, yet by the play call he gave Rodgers only the riskier options. Is that a wise coaching decision?The one wildcard in that call would be did any of the WR run the wrong route? I mean, we sure wouldn't know just looking at that particular case.

Cheesehead Craig
12-15-2008, 11:06 AM
As others have said, I did not say he was forced to throw an INT. ARod was put in a position to throw an accurate deep throw as his only option. He made a poor pass. Just wasn't put into a position to succeed with having some shorter pass options. I'm not excusing him for throwing the pick, just criticizing the play call itself.

denverYooper
12-15-2008, 11:15 AM

--not getting BJack a few more touches.

Patler
12-15-2008, 11:20 AM
The one wildcard in that call would be did any of the WR run the wrong route? I mean, we sure wouldn't know just looking at that particular case.

Agreed, we seldom know when it is a receiver or receivers that screwed up, or watching on TV, if a receiver falls or something. Only at times do we see that. Yesterday, on the one goal line incompletion, we only saw on the replay that Driver and Lee(?) ran into each other, "covering themselves" as the announcer said. What options did Rodgers have on that play? It may have been an incompletion, but not a bad play by Rodgers.

On the other hand, we don't always get to see a receiver who is running free, but not seen by the QB. That happens too.

gbgary
12-15-2008, 11:21 AM
i think the fact that the d has basically abandoned the bump-and-run, for what ever reason, has been bad coaching decision. what once was our strength has now become a weakness.

sharpe1027
12-15-2008, 11:24 AM
As others have said, I did not say he was forced to throw an INT. ARod was put in a position to throw an accurate deep throw as his only option. He made a poor pass. Just wasn't put into a position to succeed with having some shorter pass options. I'm not excusing him for throwing the pick, just criticizing the play call itself.

The play call was aggressive and risky. It would seem that Rodgers still threw to the wrong guy given the coverage. He tried to make a play and lost, same as Favre would do so often. Time was getting short, they had to get some big chunks of yards soon.

Freak Out
12-15-2008, 12:40 PM

This is just mind boggling....try and pin them deep and give the D a shot.

Patler
12-15-2008, 12:44 PM

This is just mind boggling....try and pin them deep and give the D a shot.

"...pin them deep give the D a shot." When you come right out and say it, based on recent weeks performances, maybe going for it on 4th wasn't such a bad decision after all!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

cpk1994
12-15-2008, 01:00 PM

This is just mind boggling....try and pin them deep and give the D a shot.Yeah, becuase pinning Houston at the 2 yard line last week worked out so well.

Patler
12-15-2008, 01:05 PM
Perhaps the decision to go for it on 4th and 1 was a clear indication of how little faith MM has in the defense right now. Who can blame him?

cpk1994
12-15-2008, 01:12 PM
Perhaps the decision to go for it on 4th and 1 was a clear indication of how little faith MM has in the defense right now. Who can blame him?Exactly. The D has failed big time the previous two weeks. WHy should McCarthy all of a sudden trust his D?

Freak Out
12-15-2008, 01:17 PM
You cant just give up on the defense.....stupid decision....oh wait...it worked out just fine. :roll: If that's the case he should fire Sanders now.

cpk1994
12-15-2008, 01:18 PM
If that's the case he should fire Sanders now.Well, Duh.

Patler
12-15-2008, 01:23 PM
You cant just give up on the defense.....stupid decision....oh wait...it worked out just fine. :roll: If that's the case he should fire Sanders now.

But against Houston it sure didn't work any better getting a great punt downed at the 3 yard line with just 1:49 remaining. The D gave that up in a hurry.
Trusting in the defense last week didn't work.
Trusting in the offense this week didn't work either.
Is it any wonder they can't win a game?

Freak Out
12-15-2008, 01:34 PM

But against Houston it sure didn't work any better getting a great punt downed at the 3 yard line with just 1:49 remaining. The D gave that up in a hurry.
Trusting in the defense last week didn't work.
Trusting in the offense this week didn't work either.
Is it any wonder they can't win a game?

One good thing came out of all this though...we seem to have an ok punter now...he just won't ever get much of an opportunity to work. :lol: Which should be a good thing right?

Patler
12-15-2008, 01:44 PM
One good thing came out of all this though...we seem to have an ok punter now...he just won't ever get much of an opportunity to work. :lol: Which should be a good thing right?

The funny thing is, they just signed a punter to the practice squad. The guy who beat out Frost in Washington, but was later released. I don't understand their reasons for doing that at all.

Freak Out
12-15-2008, 01:54 PM

The funny thing is, they just signed a punter to the practice squad. The guy who beat out Frost in Washington, but was later released. I don't understand their reasons for doing that at all.

:lol: The Oracle at work.

Cheesehead Craig
12-15-2008, 01:56 PM

:lol: The Oracle at work.
I didn't do that.