PDA

View Full Version : 2nd & short(comings)

Fosco33
12-15-2008, 07:55 PM
Mike McCarthy and Joe Philbin have become boring and predictable this year. Yes, having a 1st year starter at the helm may give you some desire to 'bring it back to fundamentals' - but I have a hard time with some of these calls.

My main frustration is on 2nd and short (say 1, 2, 3 yards to go).

Here's a game by game breakdown of situations that get me riled up. I've bolded the ones that make me scratch my head.

It's a free down - go for a longer pass and have confidence you'll get a 1st down on the next play. By my analysis - I see a growing trend of situations where the Packers are playing for 1st down (not scoring trys), lack of ingenuity and lack of confidence.

Count 'em - 20 times this year we've had less than stellar plays coming from the 'free play'.
Shore it up

Week 1 (MN)
-2nd and goal at the 3 (Grant for 2 yards, next play is a TD pass)
-2nd and 3 in 4th Quarter (Grant 4 yards for 1st down)
-2nd and 1 at the 1 (Rodgers, QB TD Sneak)

Week 2 (DET)
-2nd and 3 (Lumpkin for 19 yards)
-2nd and 3 (pass to DD for 1st down)
-2nd and 1 (incomplete pass to GJ, next play running for TD for 19yrds)

Week 3 (DAL)
-2nd and 2 (3 yard run)
-2nd and 3 (12 yard pass to DD)

Week 4 (TB)
-2nd and 2 (0 yard rush)
-2nd and 2 (1 yard rush)
-2nd and 2 (9 yard pass)

Week 5 (ATL)
-2nd and 1 (incomplete pass, run on 3rd down for 1st)
-2nd and 1 (4 yard pass)

Week 6 (SEA)
-2nd and 2 (7 yard run)
-2nd and 1 (0 yard run)
-2nd and 1 at 1 (1 yard sneak by AR)
-2nd and 3 (1 yard run)
-2nd at 1 at 1 (TD pass)

Week 7 (IND)
-2nd and 3 (4 yard run)
-2nd and 1 (4 yard run)

Week 9 (TEN)
-2nd and 2 (INT/Touchback)

Week 10 (MIN)
-2nd and 2 (sack)
-2nd and 3 (incomplete pass, incomplete 3rd down pass)

Week 11 (CHI)
-2nd and 3 (false start)
-2nd and 1 at 3 (TD pass)
-2nd and 1 (7 yard run)
-2nd and 3 (6 yard run)
-2nd and 2 (18 yard run)
-2nd and 2 (1 yard run)
-2nd and 1 (0 yard run)
-2nd and 1 (0 yard run, incomplete 3rd down pass)

Week 12 (NO)
-2nd and 1 at 1 (TD run)
-2nd and 3 (2 yard run)
-2nd and 1 (4 yard run)
-2nd and 2 (2 incomplete passes)

Week 13 (CAR)
-2nd and 3 (1 yard run)
-2nd and 3 at 5 (TD pass)
-2nd and 1 (0 yard gain, 0 yard run on 3rd down)

Week 14 (HOU)
-2nd and 2 (2 yard run)
-2nd and 2 (1 yard run)
-2nd and 1 (2 yard run)

Week 15 (JAC)
-2nd and 1 (-1 yard run, incomplete 3rd down pass)
-2nd and 1 (o yard run, 0 yard run on 3rd and 4th down)
-2nd and 3 (34 yard pass)
-2nd and 3 (incomplete pass, 3rd down run for 4 yards)
-2nd and 2 (INT to end game)

red
12-15-2008, 08:29 PM
yup, the one this week bugged me too. on first grant ran for 9 yards.

why not go for it all on second down?

we didn't, we got stuffed on second for a loss. the came the incomplete

yuck

The Leaper
12-15-2008, 08:56 PM
With our run game, no 1 or 2 yard pickup is a given. I strongly disagree that we should be chucking it up downfield everytime there is a 2nd and 2 play.

I do agree that the offense has become way too predictable. With our talent at WR, we should see more WR screens and far more creativity getting receivers open on short routes. MM has really dropped the ball this year IMO. Rodgers has played well...yet the offense has really regressed from 2007.

texaspackerbacker
12-15-2008, 09:07 PM
I tend to agree, they seem way too cautious way too often. However, looking at the list of second and short, there actually were quite a few pass plays and decent gaining run plays. I would think most of those short gain passes had long patterns that were covered, so Rodgers simply threw to the guy who was open.

You seldom catch anybody by surprise on 2nd and short. If you want to do that, pull a Bart Starr, and go play-action/long on 3rd and short.

superfan
12-17-2008, 09:46 PM
Props to Fosco for the in depth analysis.

I haven't gone back and rewatched any of these, but my take is of the same vein as Fosco, take a shot when you get the chance.

The short run has not been consistently effective due to issues with our line play. The short pass has not been consistently effective because defenses have been keying on the quick slant and have been effective in disrupting these routes.

I would like to see the coaches allow Rodgers to take more deep chances on 2nd and short, and limit Finley's looks on fade routes in red zone situations, those have not been very effective.

KYPack
12-18-2008, 08:37 AM
Yeah, Fos, great job on the breakdown.

I think another aspect should be considered here.

MM should probably fire his playcaller. That's MM

Some HC's become stale and hurried in their play calls and need to turn the job over.

Holmy was a brilliant play caller in his early career, espec when he was an OC for SF and our SB run. As he progressed in his career, he got conservative, stodgy, and predictable in his play calls.

So, he turned it over to assistants. When they'd lose it, he'd grab the headphones & sheet and do it himself for a bit.

I think Sean Payton needs to consider the same thing. he's still a good play caller, but the team loses it's HC when he's focused on the next O series all the time. I think NO would be a better team with somebody else dialing up the plays.

I think the Pack would benefit from MM making the same move.

For one thing, it would shake things up. Which we need to do in a number of areas. Shake it up and give the team (and us) a fresh look.

Pugger
12-18-2008, 09:14 AM
I don't have a problem with MM running it again if they got 9 on first down. But if they get stuffed on 2nd why not try a bootleg and pass? That way AR can either throw it or run for the sticks himself. :?