View Full Version : Chiefs GM Peterson to step down at end of season

packers11
12-15-2008, 08:47 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3771725

Rastak
12-15-2008, 08:48 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3771725

Step down as in fired.

Clark Hunt indicated he'll let the GM have a say but Edwards is still the coach and he will have the final say on Edwards job, not the new GM.

digitaldean
12-15-2008, 08:53 PM
Somehow, Scott Pioli's (New Eng. GM) name keeps coming up here from the sites I've read.

KC is a football - rabid town and deserves a lot better. Peterson had a really good run for a while but as of late things went south fast.

I wouldn't be too secure if I was Herm Edwards.

The "mutual agreement" for Peterson to leave is the mgmt.'s way of saying "do this or I'll can you butt today".

Rastak
12-15-2008, 08:54 PM
Somehow, Scott Pioli's (New Eng. GM) name keeps coming up here from the sites I've read.

KC is a football - rabid town and deserves a lot better. Peterson had a really good run for a while but as of late things went south fast.

The "mutual agreement" for Peterson to leave is the mgmt.'s way of saying "do this or I'll can you butt today".

Actually Hunt was very complimentary towards Edwards. I heard all this while in traffic on NFL Radio. I think unless the new GM is adament, he's safe for another year.

pbmax
12-15-2008, 08:58 PM
Before anyone suggests it, let me say: NO!

Zool
12-15-2008, 10:34 PM
Before anyone suggests it, let me say: NO!

Is the question "will Edwards be the HC in KC after this season"?

Fritz
12-16-2008, 09:23 AM
I believe PB means the question would be, "Should the Packers fire TT and hire Carl Peterson?"

And PB's answer is correct. Or nearly correct. It would more accurately be "Hell no!"

DonHutson
12-16-2008, 09:28 AM
If the question is, "Can a deal for Tony Gonzalez now be made this off-season without the Chiefs pulling the rug out from under it?" -- the answer is probably yes.

The position needs help, and I don't see it coming from within the organization. There are good TE's in the draft, but I'd have a hard time justifying a 1st or 2nd rounder on a TE when this team needs real help at DE, DT, and OL.

The free agent TE crop is weak. So I wouldn't be surprised if this gets revisited. The stumbling block now is whether Gonzalez still thinks Green Bay will get him any closer to a ring. That's a much harder sell now than at the trade deadline. But I'm sure he's not any happier in Kansas City than he was before.

digitaldean
12-16-2008, 12:09 PM
If the question is, "Can a deal for Tony Gonzalez now be made this off-season without the Chiefs pulling the rug out from under it?" -- the answer is probably yes.

The position needs help, and I don't see it coming from within the organization. There are good TE's in the draft, but I'd have a hard time justifying a 1st or 2nd rounder on a TE when this team needs real help at DE, DT, and OL.

The free agent TE crop is weak. So I wouldn't be surprised if this gets revisited. The stumbling block now is whether Gonzalez still thinks Green Bay will get him any closer to a ring. That's a much harder sell now than at the trade deadline. But I'm sure he's not any happier in Kansas City than he was before.

If we could do a 2 for 1 (Brady Poppinga and Tony Moll) to get Gonzo, I'd be all over that. :wink:

Seriously, I'd love to see them trade for him. But TT will have to be willing to part with something. Also, hopefully a new GM would not pull the last second crap Peterson did that scared the Packers off of Gonzo this season.

cpk1994
12-16-2008, 01:44 PM

Actually Hunt was very complimentary towards Edwards. I heard all this while in traffic on NFL Radio. I think unless the new GM is adament, he's safe for another year.Ahh yes the dreaded vote of confidence. Kind of like how Ray Rhodes was safe after Ron Wolf said similar things about him, huh?