PDA

View Full Version : Favre Article

HarveyWallbangers
12-16-2008, 08:44 PM
Pretty amusing, and mostly deferential, story from what appears to be an overseas journalist.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20081216/sp_afp/amfootusjetsfavre_081216231917

Grey-bearded gridiron hero Favre defies time
by Sebastian Smith

NEW YORK (AFP) – If American football's helmeted, padded players look like space-age supermen, then quarterback Brett Favre resembles a hero from another time.

Fans call him the "Gunslinger" and to see the tall, grey-bearded New York Jets star can indeed recall some haggard dueler from the Wild West.

At 39, Favre is old for his brutal sport and looks it. His cropped hair and beard are grey, his face reddened and battered.

After the Jets squeaked through to a lucky 31-27 victory against the Buffalo Bills last Sunday, Favre stood alone in the changing room, a small cut on one of his shins, looking closer to grandfatherly than top sportsman.

Yet for one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time, age appears to be no more frightening than the Bills defenders -- ferocious men a decade younger and sometimes a good third heavier.

Gunslingers, after all, like a good fight.

"To me, you find out what you're made of in tough times," Favre remarked in his quiet southern drawl.

Favre joined the Jets earlier this year after 16 seasons with the Green Bay Packers, where he led the way to a famous Super Bowl victory and broke just about every quarterback record in existence.

Meadowlands Stadium outside Manhattan might seem a strange place for the legend's last hurrah.

The Jets are poor cousins to New York's other football team, current Super Bowl champs the Giants, and they haven't won a Super Bowl since 1969.

Even with Favre they can be embarrassingly erratic.

For a while this season they looked to be transformed, riding a winning streak that made them shoo-ins for the post-season playoffs and even -- just maybe -- a tilt at the Super Bowl.

But then came a three-game losing run prior to Sunday's victory and now they likely must win the final two games this month to survive into the playoffs.

Critics say part of the blame for that rollercoaster falls on Favre.

Teammates and fans say the opposite -- that he keeps the whole adventure going.

"He has brought an energy to the team," receiver Wallace Wright said in the locker room after the Bills game as he put on his jacket and adjusted a huge diamond bracelet.

A fresh-faced 24-year-old, Wright calls Favre "one of the greatest who ever lived" and says the veteran leads by example rather than through long speeches.

Surprisingly, Favre is also regarded as one of the lads, someone renowned for off-field pranks -- he reportedly stuffed a dead animal in a Jets teammate's locker -- and joyous, schoolboy celebrations during games.

"You'd think he's a rookie out there. He's out there having fun," Wright said.

Favre's main contradiction, though, comes when he throws the ball.

Football romantics love his signature long pass, a spiraling delivery that stretches physics and, when it works, can beat an entire team. For years he has been reputed to possess one of the strongest throwing arms in the game.

Yet football pragmatists hate the long pass. It's risky, tends to land in the wrong hands, and can lose a game as much as win one.

"Gunslinger" isn't always meant as a compliment.

"He can be a miracle man, but it works both ways," said Jeremy Simon, 30, a fan attending Sunday's game against the Bills. "He can win a game or kill a game. He throws it all over the place -- he likes to take a bet."

The Jets have tried to tame Favre, instructing him to stick to short passes.

There are still glimpses of the old gambler and they are not always happy, just as the Jets' progress under his leadership has been far from smooth.

Each time Favre's more adventurous passes misfired Sunday or ended in the hands of the Bills, the press box at Meadowlands erupted in groans.

"Oh, he just couldn't resist, could he?" complained one journalist after Favre threw a third-quarter interception, promptly converted by the Bills into a lead.

Favre acknowledged his weaknesses.

"I under-threw it," he said. "Maybe I don't have the arm I once had."

But he was in no mood to dwell on failings and nor are the legions of fans who gathered for boozy picnics in the stadium carpark before the game.

"Any time he's on the field we have a chance to win," said Sean Winters, 43, who came from Long Island in his mini-van with friends, a mountain of beer cans, a barbecue, 40 steaks, and a black sofa.

"He expects to win, so I expect to win."

Favre is philosophical about whether he can produce a final miracle.

Asked at a press conference earlier this month whether he still has the magic, he delved into his pocket with a smile.

"Let me see what I've got," he said.

packinpatland
12-16-2008, 08:57 PM
"Teammates and fans say the opposite -- that he keeps the whole adventure going."

This line says what I've been reading and seeing in the news around here......

MOBB DEEP
12-16-2008, 09:02 PM
thanx harv

prsnfoto
12-17-2008, 10:02 AM
He has not played as well lately but part of that is Mangini calling some of the most conservative games since Marty S Favre needs short passes and rythm . and he only threw one bad ball last week the other pick was right in his WR's hands and was dropped onto a player on the ground and bounced off him up into the arms of another defender. He also scrambled for 27 yards on one play I wondered if that was his longest run ever?

HarveyWallbangers
12-17-2008, 10:09 AM
and he only threw one bad ball last week

Favre completed 1 of his last 8 passes in the 4th quarter... in a game that the Jets were losing by 4. You know as well as I do that if Rodgers had done that, you'd be raking him over the coals.

dissident94
12-17-2008, 11:41 AM
If Rodgers went 1-8 in the 4th I would be all over him, true. The problem is Rodgers lovers are the ones that always bring up Brett.

If yo go 1-8 in the 4th you should be dogged no matter who you are.

MOBB DEEP
12-17-2008, 05:28 PM
If Rodgers went 1-8 in the 4th I would be all over him, true. The problem is Rodgers lovers are the ones that always bring up Brett.

unless u're VICK DA GREAT!!! who wrecked lambeau mystique with his feet in post season

due to be released into halfway house on inauguration day (glad im right here for that btw)

YIPEE, power to the people......OBAMA 2012

gex
12-18-2008, 11:18 AM
"Teammates and fans say the opposite -- that he keeps the whole adventure going."

This line says what I've been reading and seeing in the news around here......

Teammates and fans say the opposite -- that he keeps the whole adventure going.

"He has brought an energy to the team," receiver Wallace Wright said

:cry: I miss that wily old gunslinger

HarveyWallbangers
12-18-2008, 11:22 AM
Statistically, Brett's in his worst three game stretch since 2002. He'll need to turn that around for them to win the division.

RashanGary
12-18-2008, 11:25 AM
The Packer fan in me wants to get the 2nd round pick.

The human being in me wants to see this whiny, selfish punk lose and get blasted down about 10 notches by the most relentless, nasty media mobb in our country.

Win/Win for me
:) :evil:

Bossman641
12-18-2008, 11:34 AM

unless u're VICK DA GREAT!!! who wrecked lambeau mystique with his feet in post season

due to be released into halfway house on inauguration day (glad im right here for that btw)

Vick da great? Now that is funny

Do you even like the Packers? I seriously don't think I've seen you type one positive thing about the Packers or the organization.

Why don't you just start a Madden franchise and cheer for that? Then you can trade for all your favorite players (Favre, Vick) and actually have a TEAM you can get behind.

Spaulding
12-18-2008, 02:00 PM

The human being in me wants to see this whiny, selfish punk lose and get blasted down about 10 notches by the most relentless, nasty media mobb in our country.

Win/Win for me

Tell us how you really feel :)

As for me, I hope he wins and goes out with style, and mends fences with the Packer front office. One offseason of complete drama didn't erase for me all the good things he did over the years as a Packer.

prsnfoto
12-18-2008, 04:00 PM

Favre completed 1 of his last 8 passes in the 4th quarter... in a game that the Jets were losing by 4. You know as well as I do that if Rodgers had done that, you'd be raking him over the coals.

I was talking about his interceptions no doubt he has looked bad the last three weeks, either he is slipping much like rookies do hitting their wall or part of me thinks he needs reps and rythm and if you have watched the last three games Mangini has went back to his run,run,run play calling. As far as Rodgers I did rip him and the team for being 1-10 on third downs against Houston but I have no problem with how he has played this year for the most part he threw a couple great balls last week and he threw a couple terrible overthrows a lot like another guy we all used to watch.

prsnfoto
12-18-2008, 04:09 PM

Win/Win for me

:talk: :talk: Shouldn't you be rehabbing your fat worthless ass for next season?

MOBB DEEP
12-18-2008, 08:39 PM

Vick da great? Now that is funny

Do you even like the Packers? I seriously don't think I've seen you type one positive thing about the Packers or the organization.

Why don't you just start a Madden franchise and cheer for that? Then you can trade for all your favorite players (Favre, Vick) and actually have a TEAM you can get behind.

this is actually pretty funny.....HONESTLY..

but yes i have posted positives. in fact i believe that my prediction for packs record this year was higher than mostly everyone here (11-5). thats b/c i i had more faith in aaron's skills (and the wealth of talent on the squad) than the "experts" on this forum

and i DO like players other than the packers...dont u?? its ENTERTAINMENT and NOTHING else

MOBB DEEP
12-18-2008, 08:41 PM
nasty media mobb in our country.

he he.....cute

packinpatland
12-18-2008, 08:45 PM
"its ENTERTAINMENT and NOTHING else"

You are so right.
Having said that......watching the game tonight, I was struck by a thought during the pregame 'flyover'.........who pays for that?

Fritz
12-19-2008, 08:11 AM

I was talking about his interceptions no doubt he has looked bad the last three weeks, either he is slipping much like rookies do hitting their wall or part of me thinks he needs reps and rythm and if you have watched the last three games Mangini has went back to his run,run,run play calling. As far as Rodgers I did rip him and the team for being 1-10 on third downs against Houston but I have no problem with how he has played this year for the most part he threw a couple great balls last week and he threw a couple terrible overthrows a lot like another guy we all used to watch.

Okay, I'm a-divin' in here. I may regret it, but I'm takin' the plunge:

Okay, why is it when Favre plays badly, there is a segment of the population that absolutely refuses to bestow any responsibility upon the man himself? In this case, it's Man-wienie's fault, for calling a too-conservative game, which apparently forced the wily old veteran quarterback out of his rhythm. Or is he "hitting the wall"? Since when are veterans excused for poor performances because they "hit the wall"?

Damn Mangini. His play calling was fine earlier in the season, when Favre was playing well. Why did Man-wienie have to change his play calling? It's only screwed Favre up!

Bossman641
12-19-2008, 08:58 AM

Okay, why is it when Favre plays badly, there is a segment of the population that absolutely refuses to bestow any responsibility upon the man himself? In this case, it's Man-wienie's fault, for calling a too-conservative game, which apparently forced the wily old veteran quarterback out of his rhythm. Or is he "hitting the wall"? Since when are veterans excused for poor performances because they "hit the wall"?

Damn Mangini. His play calling was fine earlier in the season, when Favre was playing well. Why did Man-wienie have to change his play calling? It's only screwed Favre up!

Simple answer - it's cause he's Favre and his defenders are more then willing to give him all the credit when he plays well and deflect the blame when he doesn't. I'm just surprised I haven't heard anybody blame it on incorrect WR routes yet.

It's not a shock that Favre is struggling at all down the stretch. It's the same exact thing that's happened for the past few years, especially when you factor in all the offseason workouts he missed. I think people who are expecting him to magically turn it on down the stretch will be in for quite a disappointment, as IMO it's much more likely he goes the other way.

prsnfoto
12-19-2008, 09:57 AM

Umm I did if he is hitting the wall that is on him age,conditioning,etc. I work at a sports bar I have seen every Jets game this year because we have the ticket Mangini calls games much like fatass in GB and leaves you scratching your head sometimes I was simply stating it could be a possibility that Favre at this stage in his career needs rythm much like Holmgren used to call 10 short passes in a row before he unleashed him. I have never said nothing is Brett's fault, I actually think your statement more closely resembles the TT and A-rod cocksuckers who think they can do no wrong.

Pugger
12-19-2008, 06:30 PM
I suppose it would be great for us if the Jets get in the playoffs and we get a 2nd. But deep down I don't want him and the Jets to do well cuz it just gives folks ammo to further blast the Packers (and AR for some reason - why folks blame AR for the BF trade escapes me! It's a wonder he's done as well as he has considering all of the stuff that has happened since BF retired) and they can piss moan about our lousy lot in life without Brett. Geez, guys, this is getting rather tiresome. :beat: This season has been dreadful enough without having to hear about Brett and his exploits. Am I jealous? Frankly, yes! :?