PDA

View Full Version : Rodgers Throw to Jones

HarveyWallbangers
12-16-2008, 08:46 PM
I didn't get to see the game live, so I watch the highlights. That deep ball to Jones along the sideline was really impressive. That might have been the most impressive throw by Rodgers this year. Not every QB can make that throw. That's the type of throw that made #4 a legend.

Gunakor
12-16-2008, 08:54 PM
I didn't get to see the game live, so I watch the highlights. That deep ball to Jones along the sideline was really impressive. That might have been the most impressive throw by Rodgers this year. Not every QB can make that throw. That's the type of throw that made #4 a legend.

If we are talking about the same play, it was also the type of catch that made Marvin Harrison a legend - well, the concentration after the bobble anyway.

HarveyWallbangers
12-16-2008, 09:08 PM
Marvin wouldn't have bobbled it.
:D

Partial
12-16-2008, 09:39 PM
Rule #1) When discussion a highlight, always post a link!! :lol:

BF4MVP
12-16-2008, 09:41 PM
Rule #1) When discussion a highlight, always post a link!! :lol:
I agree. It was such a great play, I want to see it again 8-)

Brando19
12-16-2008, 09:52 PM
Rodgers had 2 deep balls to Jones. I found a link to one of them. It's at the 1:10 mark.
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter?game_id=29743&season=2008&displayPage=tab_gamecenter

packerbacker1234
12-16-2008, 09:55 PM

Actually, the two missfires deep down the sidelines to a wide open, streaking, Greg Jennings is what made Favre a Legend. He usually completed those when the WR was that open (two overthrows by AR).

of course, the fact that Favre scrambled like a mad man and made something out of nothing, and squeezed the ball between three defenders, had nothing to do with making favre who he was.

I was impressed he completed that pass to Jones down the sidelines, but why couldn't he do it the two times prior to a wide open Jennings for TD's? It was on two different drives. He complete's those, the game turns into a blowout and a packers W.

Partial
12-16-2008, 10:16 PM
Off the back foot, that is some serious arm strength. Very good pass.

HarveyWallbangers
12-16-2008, 10:38 PM
That's actually not the one I'm talking about. On the same page, if you click on the Aaron Rodgers highlights (currently, the second from right--with a still picture of him rolling out), you'll see it at the 1:48 mark. That throw is a lot harder than it looks. If you look at the replay from behind on the video, it gives a better look at how far he threw it and how tight it was (on the sideline, between defenders). It had to be right on the mark to be completed.

bobblehead
12-17-2008, 12:37 AM
What bothered me about that play is that if Jones catches it clean he stops, the defender goes past him and he walks into the endzone....we ended up taking a FG because he lost focus.

Kiwon
12-17-2008, 02:16 AM
Off the back foot, that is some serious arm strength. Very good pass.

I thought the same thing.

There were numerous times the last few years when Farve underthrew that pass and the receivers came back to get it. Sometimes it was planned but a lot of times Jennings or Driver bailed #4 out.

Good pass under a blitz and a good grab by Jones.

Patler
12-17-2008, 02:58 AM
Actually, the two missfires deep down the sidelines to a wide open, streaking, Greg Jennings is what made Favre a Legend. He usually completed those when the WR was that open (two overthrows by AR).

I disagree. For much of his career he did not complete those with any regularity. He often overthrew and underthrew open receivers on deep patterns. For years it was said to be his biggest weakness. He made his reputation with 20 yard rifle shots from any old awkward position.

Clements and MM worked with Favre more on long passes than most ever had. They did it every week and Favre improved his accuracy on deep balls the last couple years to the point that I thought he had a darn good year last year on deep balls.

Patler
12-17-2008, 03:02 AM
If you go to Jones' player page on nfl.com there are separate highlight clips of all his receptions on Sunday, each showing several different angles of the play.

Noodle
12-17-2008, 09:27 AM
What I noticed about the play is that the Pack kept 7 guys on the line to block and pick up the blitz. That's some serious max protect, and it worked pretty dang well.

Nice job by Rodgers to go for a deep ball instead of a check down on a third and 4 play. Takes some brass.

denverYooper
12-17-2008, 12:04 PM
In the same vein, Vince Verhei at FO made this comment about Rodgers's 63 yarder to Jennings the week before:

It's small consolation to Green Bay, I'm sure, but Aaron Rodgers' pass on the last play of the third quarter -- a 63-yard bomb to Greg Jennings that zipped just over the fingers of both Jacques Reeves and Brandon Harrison -- may have been the best throw I've seen all year.

http://www.nfl.com/videos?categoryId=highlights&gameId=2008120703&week=14&seasonFilter=2008&seasonType=REG

-->it's on the highlights, about 1:20 in.

gbgary
12-17-2008, 12:25 PM
he's made some great throws this year...but he's also missed some wide-open guys. the consistency will come with experience...i hope.

Guiness
12-17-2008, 12:45 PM
Ok, I'm :jack: here

But who was it that whiffed on Drew-Jones's TD catch - at about 1:00 of the first video link.

Zool
12-17-2008, 12:53 PM

But who was it that whiffed on Drew-Jones's TD catch - at about 1:00 of the first video link.

Thats Montgomery. It was some sort of zone blitz that left him 1-1 with a RB.

Gunakor
12-17-2008, 12:59 PM

Lawlz, J-D will win that matchup every time. Great call BS. God I can't wait for TT/MM to can his sorry ass...

Zool
12-17-2008, 01:05 PM
Oh also, it looks like Blackmon that completely whiffs on the tackle.

Guiness
12-17-2008, 01:08 PM

Right after DJ made the catch, 7yds from the LOS? Wow, what the heck was he doing there. It looked really bad, totally whiffed and ran by him.