PDA

View Full Version : Haynesworth hits UFA

RashanGary
12-17-2008, 11:07 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3775006

For all of those on Julius Peppers bandwagon, get off. Peppers will get the franchise tag. Haynesworth is on the free and open market with no strings attached. This is the most dominating player in his prime to hit the open market in a long time. I think we'll be in this one. We're one of a few teams taht badly needs him AND has more than enough money to land him.

RashanGary
12-17-2008, 11:11 AM
It's similar to landing Jared Allen WITHOUT offering up all of the high picks to get him.

HarveyWallbangers
12-17-2008, 11:18 AM
He's a great player. I hope Thompson goes after him, but I don't know if he has any interest in playing in Green Bay. He's from South Carolina and has played in Tennessee in both college and pros.

MOBB DEEP
12-17-2008, 11:18 AM
TT, GET HIM!!!

MOBB DEEP
12-17-2008, 11:20 AM
He's a great player. I hope Thompson goes after him, but I don't know if he has any interest in playing in Green Bay. He's from South Carolina and has played in Tennessee in both college and pros.

maybe rodgers and god can reel him into lambeau like another volunteer..

LL2
12-17-2008, 11:44 AM

I hope so too, then I hope he doesn't become another bust. He's going to get at least $9 mil a year or more.

Rastak
12-17-2008, 11:46 AM
It's similar to landing Jared Allen WITHOUT offering up all of the high picks to get him.

Depends on what you are looking for....if it's pass rush it isn't the same.

Allen

275 tackles 57.5 sacks

Haynesworth

271 tackles 24 sacks

He is a great player and it would be worth it to outbid everyone to get him though. IN the sense of getting a dominant player without giving up draft choices, yes, it's a good move.

I wouldn't be shocked if Tennessee found a way to fork over the cash to get him signed.

edit: oops, I meant tackles not games.

Noodle
12-17-2008, 11:49 AM
I wonder if fellow Tennessee Volunteer Justin Harrell can do some good here. They didn't overlap, but the alum brotherhood thing can be strong.

I'm for doing what it takes to get this guy. I won't bitch one bit about "overpaying." Screw that. You want talent, you pay for talent.

retailguy
12-17-2008, 11:55 AM
I do not believe that Ted will be anything other than an "interested observer". We shall see.

What date do you think Ted signs his first free agent? Someone should start a poll... :P

sheepshead
12-17-2008, 11:57 AM
How about Sara White?

KYPack
12-17-2008, 12:03 PM
He hits UFA Feb 27, according to the article.

He will be the top FA since Reggie White. It's really a similar situation. Most teams have managed their cap so they can can keep their core superstars. Somehow TN has managed to get Haynesworth in a postion to be an UFA. That's a major screw-up.

He ain't the same calibre person as Reggie, but who is?

This is one UFA move that would have to be made.

denverYooper
12-17-2008, 12:11 PM
I wonder if fellow Tennessee Volunteer Justin Harrell can do some good here. They didn't overlap, but the alum brotherhood thing can be strong.

I'm for doing what it takes to get this guy. I won't bitch one bit about "overpaying." Screw that. You want talent, you pay for talent.

I was thinking that Harrell could probably learn a few things about how to play in the NFL if Haynesworth came here... they're similar size. Harrell is 6-5, 300#, Haynesworth is 6-6, 320#. Nothing like a good apprenticeship to hone the skills.

gbgary
12-17-2008, 12:18 PM
we need him and there'll be pressure on tt (if he's still here) to fix this listing ship.

swede
12-17-2008, 12:19 PM

I was thinking that Harrell could probably learn a few things about how to play in the NFL if Haynesworth came here... they're similar size. Harrell is 6-5, 300#, Haynesworth is 6-6, 320#. Nothing like a good apprenticeship to hone the skills.

As long as Albert doesn't teach Harrell how to stomp on the heads of opposing players who have lost their helmets.

MateoInMex
12-17-2008, 01:23 PM
I do not believe that Ted will be anything other than an "interested observer". We shall see.

What date do you think Ted signs his first free agent? Someone should start a poll... :P

Lol.

TT is Bizarro Sherman, he doesn't go after FA's, let alone good ones. Ted might sign a 2nd or 3rd tier guy later in the offseason.

Gunakor
12-17-2008, 01:30 PM

Lol.

TT is Bizarro Sherman, he doesn't go after FA's, let alone good ones. Ted might sign a 2nd or 3rd tier guy later in the offseason.

We have a FA cornerback who is starting in this year's Pro Bowl, and is going for the 5th time in his career. One who was shafted the previous 2 years for a Pro Bowl nomination, but had earned his bid both years. Does he not count?

Just because he doesn't go after every Alan Faneca or Nate Clements that enters FA doesn't mean he doesn't dabble every once and a while and come out of it with a winner.

cpk1994
12-17-2008, 01:32 PM

Lol.

TT is Bizarro Sherman, he doesn't go after FA's, let alone good ones. Ted might sign a 2nd or 3rd tier guy later in the offseason.AGain that is bletently false. He went after Adam Vinetieri, one of the best kickers in the game. I wish people would quit spreading this "TT doesn't go after FA" bullshit. Becuase it is just that, bullshit.

Noodle
12-17-2008, 01:34 PM
That's what gives me hope. It's not true that TT refuses to go UFA. He will. My concern is that he's too worried about paying "too much," whatever that is.

I think he'll make a play for AH. I'm just hoping he goes all in and doesn't fold when the bidding gets high.

Gunakor
12-17-2008, 01:52 PM
That's what gives me hope. It's not true that TT refuses to go UFA. He will. My concern is that he's too worried about paying "too much," whatever that is.

I think he'll make a play for AH. I'm just hoping he goes all in and doesn't fold when the bidding gets high.

I'm not opposed to him going all in, as long as all in doesn't mean more than we could afford after locking up players like Nick Collins and Greg Jennings. I would like to see AH in Green Bay as badly as anyone else, but not at the cost of losing one of our other stars as a result. There is a limit to how much money TT should spend.

Patler
12-17-2008, 02:50 PM
I'm not opposed to him going all in, as long as all in doesn't mean more than we could afford after locking up players like Nick Collins and Greg Jennings. I would like to see AH in Green Bay as badly as anyone else, but not at the cost of losing one of our other stars as a result. There is a limit to how much money TT should spend.

Therein lies the dilemma for every GM, "Do I give this dollar to Peter or to Paul?"

Bob Harlan said the first lesson he learned when he was put in charge of player contracts is one that he later instilled in every contract/cap guy in GB. Every term of every contract affects every other player in one way or another, and every dollar you pay to one player is a dollar not available for another.

If you can't afford Tom, Dick, Harry and Larry, do you want Tom and Harry or Larry, or do you want Dick, Harry and Larry, but no Tom?

Right now the Packers are in a decent situation with a lot of flexibility, but eventually some emerging players may have to be let go with big contracts on the horizon, just like Wolf let a number of excellent players leave in consecutive years, but with unknown but capable replacements waiting. You can afford only so many top dollar players.

Pugger
12-17-2008, 02:59 PM
It will also be interesting to see how much he damaged that knee of his. If the Titans don't throw money at him it's gotta make one pause...

Rastak
12-17-2008, 07:58 PM
It will also be interesting to see how much he damaged that knee of his. If the Titans don't throw money at him it's gotta make one pause...

His knee should be fine.

Here's Florio's take:

HAYNESWORTH’S FREE AGENCY WAS ALREADY SEALED
Posted by Mike Florio on December 17, 2008, 8:02 p.m.
We’ve seen the reports that Titans defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth’s election to the AFC Pro Bowl roster secured for him unrestricted free agency in 2009, since making the all-star team was one of the four triggers that prevents the Titans from slapping the franchise tag on him for a second straight season.

But here’s the thing — as a practical matter, Haynesworth already had won his freedom.

Once the Titans won their tenth game, Haynesworth had to participate in only 53 percent of the total snaps on defense for the year in order to avoid the franchise tender. Given that he started in each of the team’s first 14 games, the Titans would have to generate a physically impossible number of defensive snaps in the final two weeks to push Haynesworth under 53 percent.

The real question, as we see it, is whether the Titans will try to lock him up before he hits the market.

As we see it, the team is in a no-win situation. Selected in the first round of the 2002 draft, Haynesworth was a borderline bust in his first four seasons. He slid squarely into “turd” category in 2006, when he treated the forehead of Cowboys center Andre Gurode like a block of aged gouda.

Last year, with the promise of a gigantic payday staring in his face, Haynesworth suddenly became a monster. This year, with the opportunity to hit the market while at the same time making more than $7.25 million, he played once again like the guy he was expected to be coming out of the University of Tennessee.

But once he gets paid, what will happen? Will he, like several other defensive tackles who have cashed in, go soft? For the privilege of finding out, the Titans will have to fork over a ton of cash.

And if they let him walk, then he’ll likely have a chip on his shoulder in his new city. So if he plays like a beast in 2009, the Titans will look stoopid for letting him go.

The problem is that most fans don’t understand these nuances of the sport/business. Thus, the Titans likely will be pushed into overpaying for Haynesworth — and for assuming the risk that, once he’s financially comfortable, he’ll realize once again that banging bodies with other very big men really, really hurts.

Bretsky
12-17-2008, 08:04 PM
He hits UFA Feb 27, according to the article.

He will be the top FA since Reggie White. It's really a similar situation. Most teams have managed their cap so they can can keep their core superstars. Somehow TN has managed to get Haynesworth in a postion to be an UFA. That's a major screw-up.

He ain't the same calibre person as Reggie, but who is?

This is one UFA move that would have to be made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_indz8W_Gg

Fritz
12-17-2008, 08:07 PM
"But once he gets paid, what will happen? Will he, like several other defensive tackles who have cashed in, go soft? For the privilege of finding out, the Titans will have to fork over a ton of cash.

And if they let him walk, then he’ll likely have a chip on his shoulder in his new city. So if he plays like a beast in 2009, the Titans will look stoopid for letting him go.

The problem is that most fans don’t understand these nuances of the sport/business. Thus, the Titans likely will be pushed into overpaying for Haynesworth — and for assuming the risk that, once he’s financially comfortable, he’ll realize once again that banging bodies with other very big men really, really hurts."

This is what I think the posters who have the "go get him no matter what" mentality seem to miss. Is Haynesworth a guy who just took a long time to mature and develop? (If so, then all the Harrell haters need to quiet down.) Or is he a guy who's motivated only by the big payday which, once secured, will no longer be a motivating factor and will render him Shaun Rogers-like?

What if you throw mounds of cash at him, which later costs you Jennings or Collins? It'd be worth it, sure, if Haynesworth plays well and doesn't get hurt. But what if that knee acts up, or what if he just plain slacks off once he gets his payday?

I think it's a tougher call than people like to think.

MateoInMex
12-17-2008, 08:26 PM

Lol.

We have a FA cornerback who is starting in this year's Pro Bowl, and is going for the 5th time in his career. One who was shafted the previous 2 years for a Pro Bowl nomination, but had earned his bid both years. Does he not count?

Just because he doesn't go after every Alan Faneca or Nate Clements that enters FA doesn't mean he doesn't dabble every once and a while and come out of it with a winner.

It's a shame.. I could care less how many guys the Packers have in the freaking ProBowl....ProBowls do NOT MATTER!!!! NEITHER DOES GUYS WHO GET SHAFTED IN PRO BOWLS!! Please don't tell me because TT showed up with a Brink truck to get Charles Woodson into Green Bay after Woodson was injured the majority of his career, TT gets vindicated.

Readin what Charles Woodson said last night reiterates that point...Probowls don't matter, and he would trade that selection for a Superbowl apperance in heartbeat. I would rather the Packers in the playoffs than worrying about if Woodson is getting shafted or not for the ProBowl..who gives a shi??? Half the guys that get chosen don't want to go anyway...

Most on the JS Board thought initially was a bad move, including a lot of respected journalist pundits. It turned out that Woodson has remained relatively injury free, so it was a good signing. But 1 good off-season move in 4 years does not get you to Superbowls.

I disagree with TT's mantra that you only build teams through the draft, that's unfortunate because if you look at the change the Jets and Dolphins have done for example, they did it utilizing both. If you think TT is correct in trading down constantly for picks to build up depth...and not going to FA more than once every leap year, than a 5-11 team is what you might get.

There are good qualities about TT. I'd like to see him go to FA more often, Alan Foneca or Nate Clements may be good veteran leaders...something the Packers lack.

Fritz
12-17-2008, 08:30 PM
Dang it, Mateo, I like you, man, but what about Ryan Pickett? What about Brandon Chillar? And Woodson? And some of the ones he signed that didn't work out - that stiff offensive lineman a couple years ago?

And what about his high bids for Adam Viniateri? What about his offer of a third rounder for Gonzalez this fall?

RashanGary
12-17-2008, 08:58 PM
Soemtimes guys are late bloomers. Look at Kampman. Was he a lazy ass that performed to get paid? No. Sometimes Dlineman take a little time to get their strength and technique up to par.

The stomping thing was bad. He crossed the line, but I like the anger and resentment that he plays with. We need more of that, just keep it on the legal side of the line and all is good.

I'm a big proponent of Haynesworth. I was a proponent of Moss. I was a proponent of Gonzolez. Great players are not all that common. To make it as far as he has, he's obviously worked hard. Unless there are some other red flags that I'm not aware of it looks like a good move to me. TT will have to put this team over the hump somehow. It may not be with Haynesworth, but I think we have as good of shot as any team. I don't think many teams need him as badly or have the cash as we do. I wouldn't classify myself as a, "Hayensworth or bust" guy, but I think he's a great player and it's realistic to think we have a good shot.

Rastak
12-17-2008, 09:07 PM
Soemtimes guys are late bloomers. Look at Kampman. Was he a lazy ass that performed to get paid? No. Sometimes Dlineman take a little time to get their strength and technique up to par.

The stomping thing was bad. He crossed the line, but I like the anger and resentment that he plays with. We need more of that, just keep it on the legal side of the line and all is good.

I'm a big proponent of Haynesworth. I was a proponent of Moss. I was a proponent of Gonzolez. Great players are not all that common. To make it as far as he has, he's obviously worked hard. Unless there are some other red flags that I'm not aware of it looks like a good move to me. TT will have to put this team over the hump somehow. It may not be with Haynesworth, but I think we have as good of shot as any team. I don't think many teams need him as badly or have the cash as we do. I wouldn't classify myself as a, "Hayensworth or bust" guy, but I think he's a great player and it's realistic to think we have a good shot.

The Packers can likely outbid anyone so I'd say they have a great shot at him, or any other free agent.

Deputy Nutz
12-17-2008, 09:12 PM

Kampman was a tweener, a small defensive tackle, who needed to transform himself into an end, he needed to get quicker and faster off the line.

--------

Just because TT puts in a bid for a free agent doesn't absolve him for not locking up said player. It is also the way he handled the situations, especially with Moss, Thompson and McCarthy all but lectured Moss about what it would be like in Green Bay, that he needed to be a good boy, and that Driver was still going to be their number one receiver. Moss said that after he got off the phone with them, that he no longer really wanted to go to Green Bay.

RashanGary
12-17-2008, 09:16 PM
McCarthy and TT might be feeling a little pressure with the way the FAvre thing went down and the way the season went. Call me crazy, but I think they'll roll out the red carpet and open up the checkbook if they thought they could get a stud difference maker on teh dline.

I look at this DL and I feel panic. I look at Hayensworth and I see stud. I just think the stars are aligned here. I could be wrong. Probably I am, but fuck it just seems so common sensical that if a move is to be made, this is IT!!

Pacopete4
12-17-2008, 09:20 PM
Why do we need Haynesworth? I thought when everyone is healthy our Dline is good enough? I'm confused cuz thats the bullshit I've been reading for days on end around here that TT didn't mess up and our line was fine? :bs:

Deputy Nutz
12-17-2008, 09:21 PM
I am not a big Haynesworth guy. I wish the Packers had a legit shot at Peppers. He is a high motor guy, and more importantly he is a defensive end, which I think is more important than a defensive tackle at this point.

steve823
12-17-2008, 09:30 PM
DT >>>>>>> DE

This years drfat there are a couple great de's. Orakp or howver you spell it, everette brown, michal johnson..and not any dts that are top notch. Cody terrence isnt going to declare this year so if we get Haynesworth and draft a DE our d-line will go from zero to hero :shock:

Patler
12-17-2008, 11:20 PM
Why do we need Haynesworth? I thought when everyone is healthy our Dline is good enough? I'm confused cuz thats the bullshit I've been reading for days on end around here that TT didn't mess up and our line was fine? :bs:

If it is my thread you are referring to, you must have a reading comprehension problem. :lol:

That is most definitely not what I proposed, nor did anyone else who responded in the thread to the best of my recollection. I very clearly and unequivocally stated that the situation for 2009 is far different than that of 2008.

cpk1994
12-18-2008, 06:54 AM

Kampman was a tweener, a small defensive tackle, who needed to transform himself into an end, he needed to get quicker and faster off the line.

--------

Just because TT puts in a bid for a free agent doesn't absolve him for not locking up said player. It is also the way he handled the situations, especially with Moss, Thompson and McCarthy all but lectured Moss about what it would be like in Green Bay, that he needed to be a good boy, and that Driver was still going to be their number one receiver. Moss said that after he got off the phone with them, that he no longer really wanted to go to Green Bay.So its TT's fault that despite having the highest offer on the table to Adam Vinieteri, Adam tokk a LESSER deal to kick in a dome? ITs TT's fault that Lavar Arrington took a lesser deal to stay in the NFc East? PLeas stop with this "TT ddoesn't do FA" shit because you are making shit up.

Bretsky
12-18-2008, 06:57 AM

--------

Just because TT puts in a bid for a free agent doesn't absolve him for not locking up said player. It is also the way he handled the situations, especially with Moss, Thompson and McCarthy all but lectured Moss about what it would be like in Green Bay, that he needed to be a good boy, and that Driver was still going to be their number one receiver. Moss said that after he got off the phone with them, that he no longer really wanted to go to Green Bay.So its TT's fault that despite having the highest offer on the table to Adam Vinieteri, Adam tokk a LESSER deal to kick in a dome? ITs TT's fault that Lavar Arrington took a lesser deal to stay in the NFc East? PLeas stop with this "TT ddoesn't do FA" shit because you are making shit up.

TT has really been active in one year, a year in which he was sitting with over 35,000,000 in cap space and many many needs.

I'd argue TT has been relatively inactive in the other two....or 3 if you count year one but I give him a pass on that one since he had limited funds

Fritz
12-18-2008, 07:17 AM
I believe part of the reason TT was not more active last year was that he didn't see holes in this team. He did see one at linebacker, though - and he signed Brandon Chillar, which was a good signing.

Outside of the defensive line, though, where do people want TT to be proactive? What other position do people think needs shoring up via free agency?

Bretsky
12-18-2008, 07:22 AM
I believe part of the reason TT was not more active last year was that he didn't see holes in this team. He did see one at linebacker, though - and he signed Brandon Chillar, which was a good signing.

Outside of the defensive line, though, where do people want TT to be proactive? What other position do people think needs shoring up via free agency?

Depends how you view the players we have; TT probably thought we were just fine. We could have looked at OL, TE, QB, S, DT, or DE. The bottom of the roster can be upgraded too; sometimes that works out well if GB has injuries and they have to play........DL......

Pugger
12-18-2008, 09:21 AM

It might not hurt to find a vet TE and/or O lineman. A big bruising RB wouldn't hurt either. It would be nice to have a big back that can move the pile and help get that 1 or 2 yards on 3rd and short...

Gunakor
12-18-2008, 12:14 PM

Paco, we don't use hindsight like you do. LAST offseason, our DL appeared to be fine. THIS year, we know it is not, but there was no way to predict this last March. Again, if TT doesn't address this problem now that he KNOWS it exists, he'll reap the blame for not doing so. The point is, Paco, that we didn't know a year ago what we know now, so we don't blame TT for not addressing a problem that did not appear to be a problem when he had a chance to address it. Last offseason, there didn't appear to be a problem. This year there absolutely DOES appear to be a problem, and every one of us is holding TT to the job of fixing it. If he doesn't, even the strongest of TT supporters will place blame on him for not getting it fixed. Do you understand the difference now?

sharpe1027
12-18-2008, 12:36 PM
I disagree with TT's mantra that you only build teams through the draft.

I disagree that this is TT's mantra.

sharpe1027
12-18-2008, 12:38 PM
It might not hurt to find a vet TE and/or O lineman. A big bruising RB wouldn't hurt either. It would be nice to have a big back that can move the pile and help get that 1 or 2 yards on 3rd and short...

It also would have been nice to have a 500 lb defensive lineman that could run a 4.2 40...