PDA

View Full Version : Lord Favre Contemplating retirement...

MOBB DEEP
12-17-2008, 06:35 PM
says that although he made the probowl and quite possible will make playoffs, he's not sure he's returning next year...who asked him that ALREADY?

DAYUM, playing with my emotions

i think if mangini, et.al shore up d backfield the jets can continue to challenge brady and nem...

GO CELTICS...

Joemailman
12-17-2008, 07:01 PM
Favre contemplating retirement? That has to be the shocker of the year. Next think you know, we'll find out TT is planning on trading down in the draft.

hurleyfan
12-17-2008, 07:13 PM
Favre contemplating retirement? That has to be the shocker of the year. Next think you know, we'll find out TT is planning on trading down in the draft.

These two scenarios would NEVER happen :lol: :lol:

Brando19
12-17-2008, 08:21 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3776573

Here's a good article. He needs to retire, then get back in good with the Packers, and start doing PR for the Pack.

Jimx29
12-17-2008, 08:56 PM
^^^^ what he said ^^^

GrnBay007
12-17-2008, 08:59 PM
He needs to retire, then get back in good with the Packers, and start doing PR for the Pack.

Maybe, after TT and MM are gone. :twisted:

Pacopete4
12-17-2008, 09:18 PM
He needs to retire, then get back in good with the Packers, and start doing PR for the Pack.

I agree.. kinda. I don't even know if he should come back will Mark Murphy is there either. He doesn't need the Green Bay Packers, they need him more so to still be the face of the franchise to sell his stuff. If I were him, I'd stay plenty clear of Packer land and ignore this shit outta them for a long, long time...

and he needs to retire and get back in good with the Packers? faaaaaawwwwwwk that... keep on trucking Brett.. keeeeeep on truckin!

Rastak
12-17-2008, 09:20 PM
They do not need him. The franchise stands on it's own two feet quite well actually.

It's up to Favre how he deals with the whole thing. The Packers will roll on, they are bigger than any one player. That's true of all 32 teams.

GrnBay007
12-17-2008, 09:22 PM

I agree.. kinda. I don't even know if he should come back will Mark Murphy is there either. He doesn't need the Green Bay Packers, they need him more so to still be the face of the franchise to sell his stuff. If I were him, I'd stay plenty clear of Packer land and ignore this shit outta them for a long, long time...

and he needs to retire and get back in good with the Packers? faaaaaawwwwwwk that... keep on trucking Brett.. keeeeeep on truckin!

True!! :D

Pacopete4
12-17-2008, 09:23 PM
They do not need him. The franchise stands on it's own two feet quite well actually.

It's up to Favre how he deals with the whole thing. The Packers will roll on, they are bigger than any one player. That's true of all 32 teams.

he never has to sign that 20 mil deal that allows the packers to use his name in everything.. he can take that right away.. u dont think that would hurt at all?

Its true that the Packers are bigger than any player... but if you saw our sales before Favre, then during... you might change your tune a little bit. Hell without Favre we probably dont/cant get the rebirth of Lambeau going either.

or maybe thats so easy too right? cuz all 32 teams can get a stadium? hows the vikes quest for that going by the way... :roll:

Pacopete4
12-17-2008, 09:24 PM

True!! :D

Did you read that story, or anyone ready that story, that was posted by Brando? I didn't read a guy that thought he was washed up, I read a guy that knows its game time now and he's gonna get it done. This is where everyone counts him out and wallah! He's 2 games deep in the playoffs and we're talking SB!

Rastak
12-17-2008, 09:25 PM

he never has to sign that 20 mil deal that allows the packers to use his name in everything.. he can take that right away.. u dont think that would hurt at all?

Its true that the Packers are bigger than any player... but if you saw our sales before Favre, then during... you might change your tune a little bit. Hell without Favre we probably dont/cant get the rebirth of Lambeau going either.

or maybe thats so easy too right? cuz all 32 teams can get a stadium? hows the vikes quest for that going by the way... :roll:

Stick to the topic.

They do NOT need him.....now or ever. Period. Amen, world without end.

Joemailman
12-17-2008, 09:26 PM
It's Favre's call. When he's done playing, he can choose to carry a grudge. Or, he can reconcile with the organization with which he became an icon. I would hope he would consider the feelings of the fans more than his feelings toward Ted Thompson. I suspect most fans want to see a reconciliation between Favre and the Packers.

Pacopete4
12-17-2008, 09:28 PM
It's Favre's call. When he's done playing, he can choose to carry a grudge. Or, he can reconcile with the organization with which he became an icon. I would hope he would consider the feelings of the fans more than his feelings toward Ted Thompson. I suspect most fans want to see a reconciliation between Favre and the Packers.

As a fan of both, I'm ok with him being mad and hurt and not wanting anything to do with us. If we actually stopped thinking like fans for once and tried thinking like he would in his situation, you might see why he wouldn't want anything to do with us.

Pacopete4
12-17-2008, 09:29 PM

Stick to the topic.

They do NOT need him.....now or ever. Period. Amen, world without end.

might not "need" him, but he sure helps.... otherwise why are they gonna pay him 20 million or so dollars? Doesn't add up!

GrnBay007
12-17-2008, 09:30 PM

I don't think Brett Favre has or would ever carry a grudge with the Packer organization. I think some day he would love to be back there in the capacity they were talking about during the off season. If he chooses not to do so while certain people are there, I can completely understand that and deep down would rather he not be there while they are.

packinpatland
12-17-2008, 09:35 PM
I listened to his interview today, and I didn't hear the part about him considering retirement. ..............guess I'll have to go back and listen again. I heard him say there were two more games in the season, that he expected the Jets to get into the postseason...........

sheepshead
12-17-2008, 09:36 PM
Kennedy Shot? Nixon Resigns? Sun rises in the east?

packinpatland
12-17-2008, 09:41 PM
I think at this point if asked the question, or a facimile of, he answered 'no comment' it would make people jump to conclusions even more than him saying 'I don't know'.

MOBB DEEP
12-17-2008, 10:04 PM
mark schlareth says the retirement question should be tabled til jun/july - lol

he admits its not favre's fault he's asked that question CONTINUALLY...

Patler
12-17-2008, 11:26 PM

Lambeau was built and expanded several times before Favre, and the franchise will survive after Favre.

Out of curiosity Pacopete, how far back do your Packer memories go?

oregonpackfan
12-17-2008, 11:32 PM
Favre can't make up his mind about retirement? The guy is worse than my wife when it comes to her annual decision-making process about what color to repaint the living room! :)

Make the decision in a timely fashion and live with it already! :roll:

Patler
12-17-2008, 11:41 PM
If we actually stopped thinking like fans for once and tried thinking like he would in his situation, you might see why he wouldn't want anything to do with us.

Ya, if you act like a 10 year old it is understandable. This is big time business. The NFL is what, about $6.5 - $7 billion per year in revenues? The decisions made are business decisions and most of the players understand that. In business you don't always get your way, but holding a grudge is a waste of time, and generally has a bigger negative effect on the individual than on the business.

The funny thing is, 15 years from now there will be a huge group of fans who will know little of Favre, never having seen him play. They will care not one bit if he has a relationship with the Packers or not.

Bossman641
12-18-2008, 12:01 AM

As a fan of both, I'm ok with him being mad and hurt and not wanting anything to do with us. If we actually stopped thinking like fans for once and tried thinking like he would in his situation, you might see why he wouldn't want anything to do with us.

If we stopped thinking like fans and started thinking like..what exactly? 8 year olds?

I would hope Favre is not so petty that he hold a grudge against the organization that helped make him famous.

Rastak
12-18-2008, 06:29 AM
If we actually stopped thinking like fans for once and tried thinking like he would in his situation, you might see why he wouldn't want anything to do with us.

Ya, if you act like a 10 year old it is understandable. This is big time business. The NFL is what, about $6.5 - $7 billion per year in revenues? The decisions made are business decisions and most of the players understand that. In business you don't always get your way, but holding a grudge is a waste of time, and generally has a bigger negative effect on the individual than on the business.

The funny thing is, 15 years from now there will be a huge group of fans who will know little of Favre, never having seen him play. They will care not one bit if he has a relationship with the Packers or not.

I think most do but not all. There is alot more emotion in this business than most. You have to admit, this isn't stocking shelves at offcie max. It's a different dynamic. The teams and players both make business decisions all the time but the players sometimes have a great stake on the "feeling" or whatever you want to call it side.

cpk1994
12-18-2008, 06:29 AM

and he needs to retire and get back in good with the Packers? faaaaaawwwwwwk that... keep on trucking Brett.. keeeeeep on truckin! :bs2: Well after Brett shit on the organization, they should tell him to stay the hell away. They don't need him to shill the team. The Green Bay Packers were able to shill themselves before he got there and they sure as hell can shill themselves long after hes has gone. I think Murphy and Thompson should ignore him and tear up that PR contract. Bravo to TT for finally standing up to the punk diva. Bravo.

cpk1994
12-18-2008, 06:37 AM

The funny thing is, 15 years from now there will be a huge group of fans who will know little of Favre, never having seen him play. They will care not one bit if he has a relationship with the Packers or not.I agree. The Green Bay Packers are a TEAM of 53 players, with coaches and front officer personell. No one person is bigger and above the rest. Not Murphy(he has stockholders to account to), Not Thompson, Not McCarthy, and not one player. They will be in business in the NFL longer than Brett will. TT doesn't hold a grudge nor should he. He made a business decision in the best intrests of the TEAM. after Brett "retired". Its the one thing that Brett refuses to understand. Its a TEAM. Not a ME orgainization. He isn't the first to make that idiotic mistake, and he won't be the last one either.

Kiwon
12-18-2008, 07:17 AM
No, really, he means it this time. :roll:

sheepshead
12-18-2008, 07:33 AM
I think at this point if asked the question, or a facimile of, he answered 'no comment' it would make people jump to conclusions even more than him saying 'I don't know'.

How about "present"? Or " I'll get back to you next week after we review all the facts"?

cpk1994
12-18-2008, 07:44 AM

How about "present"? Or " I'll get back to you next week after we review all the facts"?Or "I did not have relations with that woman!" Opps..wrong thread. :)

MOBB DEEP
12-18-2008, 09:42 AM
there's actually a few good qb's that should be available IF he retires

my prayer is that lord plays 1 more year and then......

VICK DA GREAT comes on board

then i can see jets v pack in superbowl in 2 years....

prsnfoto
12-18-2008, 09:48 AM

and he needs to retire and get back in good with the Packers? faaaaaawwwwwwk that... keep on trucking Brett.. keeeeeep on truckin! :bs2: Well after Brett shit on the organization, they should tell him to stay the hell away. They don't need him to shill the team. The Green Bay Packers were able to shill themselves before he got there and they sure as hell can shill themselves long after hes has gone. I think Murphy and Thompson should ignore him and tear up that PR contract. Bravo to TT for finally standing up to the punk diva. Bravo.

The genius is out of his closet. It amazes me how many morons on this forum act like they know jack shit about the Packers and their finances, I certainly don't know everything, but I have pretty good inside info from someone who is very close buddies with Mr. Bergstrom (the guy who owns several car dealerships and sits on the Packer Board of directors) that like it or not Brett has had a huge financial impact on the club. Obviously the team is not going to fold or move or any of that but a strained relationship will continue to cost them millions in revenue, duh why do you think they offered it to him to begin with! As far as TT standup I am not sure he even stands when he pees much like you.

Pugger
12-18-2008, 09:54 AM
A lot of Brett fans will never forgive TT for trading him to the Jets but they don't consider what Brett did in that situation. Brett retired and management believed he truly was finished so they handed the reins over to the player they picked as his replacement in the first round. Some weeks later Brett changes his mind and put MM in quite a situation. If he brings Brett back what does he do with AR? Rodgers was ready to start. Having him sit on the bench another year would do him no good. Brett is no back-up either! So after long talks with Brett MM wasn't convinced of Brett's commitment to GB so he decided (and I truly believe this was MM's call more than TT's) to stay with AR and his future upside. Management tried to talk Brett out of coming back because they knew it would be a PR nightmare but to no avail. :?

But it now seems like it was good for eveyone. AR became the starter (and showed us fans that he is pretty darn good), Brett continued to play, the Jets got a financial shot in the arm and the Pack might get a second round pick for a 39 year old QB. :)

cpk1994
12-18-2008, 09:57 AM

The genius is out of his closet. It amazes me how many morons on this forum act like they know jack shit about the Packers and their finances, I certainly don't know everything, but I have pretty good inside info from someone who is very close buddies with Mr. Bergstrom (the guy who owns several car dealerships and sits on the Packer Board of directors) that like it or not Brett has had a huge financial impact on the club. Obviously the team is not going to fold or move or any of that but a strained relationship will continue to cost them millions in revenue, duh why do you think they offered it to him to begin with! As far as TT standup I am not sure he even stands when he pees much like you.Sure he has had a financial impact, but there are those that are implying that Favre should stick it to the organization as if the teams life depends on Favre making them that money. That's BS. But to sit here and bash only TT and make Favre out to be the victim when Favre started this pissing contest with his diava act to begin with while TT tried to take the high road by not saying anything at all until he had to defend himslef from the onslaught from ESPN and Favre's cronies as Bret hid behind his mommy is crap. TT's only mistake was stooping to Favre's childish level. But it was high time that Brett be treated like one of 53 players on the roster. Its not TT's fault Brett couldn't handle it like a mature adult.

Tarlam!
12-18-2008, 10:11 AM
Will the Packers' organization retire #4 at the home opener the season after he "really" retires? Will their be awkwardness? B< either of the parties?

I know Reggie went on to a different team and so did Vince and they are revered by us all.

But, they did it before the days of public internet forums!! And, they didn't hold the Packers hostage.

I'm a sentimental old fool and, retrospively, say the whole exit was a mistake and I would gladly give back the draft pick to make the Packers' world whole again.

KYPack
12-18-2008, 10:18 AM
Will the Packers' organization retire #4 at the home opener the season after he "really" retires? Will their be awkwardness? B< either of the parties?

I know Reggie went on to a different team and so did Vince and they are revered by us all.

But, they did it before the days of public internet forums!! And, they didn't hold the Packers hostage.

I'm a sentimental old fool and, retrospively, say the whole exit was a mistake and I would gladly give back the draft pick to make the Packers' world whole again.

The papers had a good column on this during the season.

Vince Lombardi
Curly Lambeau
Mike Holmgren
Reggie White
Brett Favre

All left the Packers while still active and retired working for other teams.

There was some level of bitterness when these guys moved on, but eventually they are all revered as Green Bay Packers.

This sport we love is a business and shit happens, things change, so people move on.

The fans need to move on, too.

And they will.

]{ilr]3
12-18-2008, 10:39 AM

It is his fault! He is the one who has made it into a drama every year. All he had to do in previous years was shut his mouth and he could never do that. He had to help foster it into a great big Brett Favre love fest. 100% his fault!

cpk1994
12-18-2008, 10:49 AM
{ilr]3]

It is his fault! He is the one who has made it into a drama every year. All he had to do in previous years was shut his mouth and he could never do that. He had to help foster it into a great big Brett Favre love fest. 100% his fault!ALso, Mark Schlereth, a FavreSPN employe, saying "Its not Brett's fault"? Wow what a shock. Using a FavreSPN employee to make your case that is not Brett's fault is really not making a case at all.

gex
12-18-2008, 11:08 AM
{ilr]3]

It is his fault! He is the one who has made it into a drama every year. All he had to do in previous years was shut his mouth and he could never do that. He had to help foster it into a great big Brett Favre love fest. 100% his fault!

NO its not his fault.

Its the god-damned leftist medias fault!

Bossman641
12-18-2008, 11:15 AM
A lot of Brett fans will never forgive TT for trading him to the Jets but they don't consider what Brett did in that situation. Brett retired and management believed he truly was finished so they handed the reins over to the player they picked as his replacement in the first round. Some weeks later Brett changes his mind and put MM in quite a situation. If he brings Brett back what does he do with AR? Rodgers was ready to start. Having him sit on the bench another year would do him no good. Brett is no back-up either! So after long talks with Brett MM wasn't convinced of Brett's commitment to GB so he decided (and I truly believe this was MM's call more than TT's) to stay with AR and his future upside. Management tried to talk Brett out of coming back because they knew it would be a PR nightmare but to no avail. :?

But it now seems like it was good for eveyone. AR became the starter (and showed us fans that he is pretty darn good), Brett continued to play, the Jets got a financial shot in the arm and the Pack might get a second round pick for a 39 year old QB. :)

I agree. I really just wish the whole thing would get dropped once and for all. If Favre and the Packer organization kiss and make up in the end, then the move will have ended up fine for everyone. Favre gets one more year to play (my guess). Jets become relevent again and get a boost in PR and financially. Packers get to see what Rodgers has, and lock up a good QB (IMO) for a few years.

The only way this ends bad in the long-term is if Favre holds a grudge with the organization and both his legacy as well as the Packers is tarnished. Otherwise this is nothing but a little blip on the radar.

HarveyWallbangers
12-18-2008, 11:21 AM
Vince Lombardi
Curly Lambeau
Mike Holmgren
Reggie White
Brett Favre

Reggie retired while a Packer, but then decided to make a comeback a year or two later, right?

BF4MVP
12-18-2008, 11:36 AM
Vince Lombardi
Curly Lambeau
Mike Holmgren
Reggie White
Brett Favre

Reggie retired while a Packer, but then decided to make a comeback a year or two later, right?
Yep. 1998 was his last year as a Packer, and he played for Carolina in 2000.

He actually retired before 1998 too, but unretired right away haha

BF4MVP
12-18-2008, 11:36 AM
BREAKING NEWS

This just in:

Aaron Rodgers is NOT contemplating retirement.

8-)

Gunakor
12-18-2008, 02:00 PM

I disagree entirely. While I understand this franchise will be fine with or without Favre, I think it would be a great thing if the two parties would settle their differences and rebuild that bridge. They bitterly disagreed on certain things, but their goal was the same - to win a Super Bowl. That being the case, I would hope that they could find a way to get past their problems and find a way to co-exist as members of our franchise.

Gunakor
12-18-2008, 02:09 PM
{ilr]3]

NO its not his fault.

I was with you entirely for the first 3 years of this drama. But when Brett said he was done - and held a presser that everyone in the country saw to tell us he was done - but then decided he wasn't... It changed my whole perspective on the deal.

The media did not create this drama this year, Favre did by changing his mind. Not that there's anything wrong with changing your mind, but the fact remains that is what started the drama this year.

And it got me thinking, if the media were responsible for the drama the first 3 years, why would Brett himself go on national TV and put his face on the drama this year? Maybe the media wasn't as responsible the previous 3 years as I thought they were. That's where I'm at now. It's not that the media couldn't create this if they wanted to, because they could, but it was clearly evident that Favre started it this year by changing his mind - and that indecisiveness he displayed this year is exactly what I had figured the media was creating the prior 3. Now I'm not so sure.

cpk1994
12-18-2008, 02:31 PM
{ilr]3]

NO its not his fault.

I was with you entirely for the first 3 years of this drama. But when Brett said he was done - and held a presser that everyone in the country saw to tell us he was done - but then decided he wasn't... It changed my whole perspective on the deal.

The media did not create this drama this year, Favre did by changing his mind. Not that there's anything wrong with changing your mind, but the fact remains that is what started the drama this year.

And it got me thinking, if the media were responsible for the drama the first 3 years, why would Brett himself go on national TV and put his face on the drama this year? Maybe the media wasn't as responsible the previous 3 years as I thought they were. That's where I'm at now. It's not that the media couldn't create this if they wanted to, because they could, but it was clearly evident that Favre started it this year by changing his mind - and that indecisiveness he displayed this year is exactly what I had figured the media was creating the prior 3. Now I'm not so sure.Ill add some fuel here. A week before SuperBowl XL in Detroit, Chris Mortensen went down to Mississippi to interview Favre about his experience playing in the SUper Bowl for a piece to air later that week on TV. Without prompt or question, Brett turned the conversation about retirement. Let me say that again, BRETT turned the conversation from the SuperBowl to "Retirement". NOt Mort. Mort didn't ask him a single question about that subject until BRETT made it a topic of discussion. Mort is on the record with that claim. This is clear evidence that Brett is partially responsible for the drama of those 3 years because he couldn't shut up.

Cheesehead Craig
12-19-2008, 08:41 AM
True that.

Partial
12-19-2008, 12:14 PM
BREAKING NEWS

This just in:

Aaron Rodgers is NOT contemplating retirement.

8-)

You don't know that.

b bulldog
12-20-2008, 01:49 PM
Who cares!

GrnBay007
12-20-2008, 01:54 PM
Who cares!

You cared enough to open it, read it, and comment! :D :P

bobblehead
12-20-2008, 02:04 PM

YOu remind me of a situation where a real asshole had something me and a partner needed. My partner hated this guy and really had a grudge with him...didn't want anything to do with him. I paid the money and turned a profit...didn't make sense to me to lose out on some money because the guy was a dick.

The Shadow
12-20-2008, 02:04 PM
Who cares!

Ditto.

GrnBay007
12-20-2008, 02:25 PM
Who cares!

Ditto.

See? you care too Shadow! :D

DonHutson
12-20-2008, 02:36 PM
I'll just file this under: Not My Problem.

Done.