PDA

View Full Version : Monday's Gameplan

The Shadow
12-17-2008, 08:46 PM
Yes, Virginia, there is something to be gained by a win against your most bitter rival.

Just like the previous meeting, this game requires a changeup of tendencies.

DEFENSE
The Bears will attempt to win this game relying heavily on the running game with Forte, screen passes, and occasional deep balls to Hester.
They will be figuring that the Pack will again be paying far more attention to their tight ends than Booker, Lloyd, and Davis. With the exception of Hester, who they will try to spring with double moves on the corners (and they realize that a pass interference call is as good as a long completion), their mediocre wideouts will not receive much attention.
I expect to see Forte attack the Packers right edge (Montgomery? Thompson?) on a steady basis.
The Packers do not seem to be able now to mount much of a pass rush - even with blitzing linebackers - so I would rather keep them in coverage, and acutely aware of the flats. I would not be overly concerned with allowing Orton time in the pocket; I'd rather have bodies back in coverage to intercept, and disallow the easy short flares and circle routes. Orton is eminently capable of the bad pass, and making him have to throw into windows consistently is a good way to go.

OFFENSE
Yes, I know the Packers ran very well on the Bears last time, but I think their defense will be all hopped up this time around to 'avenge lost pride', and will game plan as though the Packers will attempt virtually the same attack.
Therefore, in spite of the cold, I'd have the Packers come out throwing : short, long, slants, outs, posts - the gamut. I think we can take away a lot of that defense's macho energy by going the air route.
Instead of banging away on first down (which I don't think will be successful), and immediately setting up 2nd and long - let's use out excellent receivers to teat the very average secondary, or at least stretch the field for the underneath stuff to Grant, Jackson, or Lee.
(By the way, the Packers have become very predictable in consistently running on 2nd and 10. Time to change the tendency, Mike.)
Moll should receive a hearty helping of chips from backs or tight ends.
This should be a classic case of using the pass to set up the (later) run.

This game requires a 'judo' approach : use the Bear's own 'we're gonna get you good for whomping us last time' energy against them by pitting our receiving talent against the weakest part of their defense.
Matador vs Bull.
Ole!

Rastak
12-17-2008, 08:57 PM
Dum Dum da Dum Dum Dum.....GO PACK GO!

Sing it Lamont, sing it!

Deputy Nutz
12-17-2008, 08:59 PM
I believe the game is on Monday.

The Shadow
12-17-2008, 09:08 PM
I believe the game is on Monday.

Picky!

The Shadow
12-18-2008, 04:11 PM
Let me revise that to "Monday's Gameplan".

CaptainKickass
12-18-2008, 05:34 PM
In the voice of Butthead:

"He said "Teat" or sumthin'"

:)

red
12-18-2008, 06:08 PM
i say we need to try not to suck as much as we have the last month and a half

Gunakor
12-18-2008, 06:22 PM
I say we reread the gameplan from the last time we played these guys and follow that until they do something to stop it. God knows they couldn't get anything going last time. Make them prove they can this time before making any wholesale changes to the way we attack them, both offensively and defensively. If it ain't broke...

Noodle
12-18-2008, 09:27 PM
Great call, Shadow. Your offensive game plan is exactly right.

I also think that making sure our LBs are coverage sound is smart as hell. The Bears will watch film and will know that our LBs have struggled in coverage. I'd run a ton of Chillar and Hawk, with Pop on the sideline.

To think they will make the same mistakes they made in the first meeting is to underestimate them, and that rarely is a smart move in the NFL. You can bet they will have studied the crap out of their loss and that they will not make the same mistakes again.

The Shadow
12-19-2008, 09:35 AM
Great call, Shadow. Your offensive game plan is exactly right.

I also think that making sure our LBs are coverage sound is smart as hell. The Bears will watch film and will know that our LBs have struggled in coverage. I'd run a ton of Chillar and Hawk, with Pop on the sideline.

To think they will make the same mistakes they made in the first meeting is to underestimate them, and that rarely is a smart move in the NFL. You can bet they will have studied the crap out of their loss and that they will not make the same mistakes again.

Agree completely.

retailguy
12-19-2008, 12:11 PM
i say we need to try not to suck as much as we have the last month and a half

You always have unrealistically high expectations. Maybe you should replay the 96 Super Bowl... :wink:

wist43
12-19-2008, 12:17 PM
Keep it close till the 2 min warning... kick a FG for a 2pt lead, then let the defense have another crack at it :)

Partial
12-19-2008, 12:17 PM
Pack lose by 25. Bears are playing for something, Packers are playing for pride.

Noodle
12-19-2008, 01:23 PM
Doesn't pride still matter?

Chester Marcol
12-19-2008, 01:52 PM

According to Vince Lombardi (http://www.amazon.com/When-Pride-Still-Mattered-Lombardi/dp/0684870185)

The Shadow
12-19-2008, 05:29 PM
If the Packers play smart in this one, they should win. Lately, that has not been as easy as it sounds.

KYPack
12-19-2008, 05:46 PM
I'd also think the Bears would want to work the seam with their TE considering our safety problems. The Bears are real good at tossing to that pair of TE's.

I think we lose a close roadie

red
12-19-2008, 06:33 PM

not for the packers lately

they've been playing the last 3 or 4 games like they just don't care. even though those were all must win games

Bretsky
12-19-2008, 06:53 PM
I hope they play well; when they play on Sunday I always have the flexibility to turn to the whole Direct TV package if I need a mental break from the Packers.

Boston Legal is done on Monday's so it's just me, the Packers, and the Bears

LEWCWA
12-19-2008, 08:57 PM
win a game

The Shadow
12-20-2008, 11:50 AM
I say we reread the gameplan from the last time we played these guys and follow that until they do something to stop it. God knows they couldn't get anything going last time. Make them prove they can this time before making any wholesale changes to the way we attack them, both offensively and defensively. If it ain't broke...

I think it's a mistake to ignore the fact that they have been scrutinizing that approach in the last game and have made bigtime adjustments.
The last time, they focused on taking away the pass, believing they could handle the run without committing a safety to the box.
They have been stewing about getting run over for weeks now, and will be concentrating on Grant.
Success in the league hinges largely on adjusting, chess-like, to probable scenarios.
If we waste the first 2 or 3 series sending Grant banging into the line for 2 yard gains, it's going to be a long day. Anthony Adams, who replaced Dusty Dvorchak, has turned out to actually be an upgrade in the middle of their line. Slow, but stout at the point. Coupled with Harris, who also can't move very well this year with a bad wheel, the Bears have 2 solid run presences on the line who shouldn't be able - esp. with a slick field - to get much pass rush push. But they will clog up the running lanes.
Come out utilizing our strength - excellent receivers - against the weakest part of their defense, the secondary. The receivers should have an advantage on a slick track, and the Bears pass rush a disadvantage.

Pugger
12-20-2008, 12:11 PM
I'm praying they don't look as horrid as they did against the Saints all those weeks ago, especially on defense, but I'm not optomistic. It isn't easy to win on the road against your oldest rival on Monday night with practice squad players and perennial back-ups on your D line. :(

KYPack
12-20-2008, 01:19 PM
Ya know, I'm not as fired up for this game. Any Bear game is usually a game to anticipate, but the old Bear hate can't even get me going.

I haven't seen many comments on this, but isn't it nuts they are having a Monday night game in Chi on Dec 22?

The high is supposed to be 8 degrees and low of 2. The 'ol hawk blowing off Lake Michigan won't be exactly balmy by 10 pm, or so.

Noodle
12-20-2008, 08:03 PM
I agree KY -- why the hell do they have these guys playing a night game in late December? As stupid as when they had the Packer-Giant playoff game at night. Stupid, and cruel to players and fans at the stadium.

Rastak
12-20-2008, 08:10 PM
I agree KY -- why the hell do they have these guys playing a night game in late December? As stupid as when they had the Packer-Giant playoff game at night. Stupid, and cruel to players and fans at the stadium.

Not so much the players. They are running around or have heaters on the sidelines. The fans are taking it up the keister.

The Shadow
12-20-2008, 11:50 PM
Character test!

The Shadow
12-21-2008, 12:53 PM
By the way, it's REALLY frigid down here in Chicago today (Sunday).
It's gonna be a cold one tomorrow night!

Partial
12-21-2008, 01:21 PM
MM needs to open the doors and get the players used to the cold. We're going to see another fiasco I predict. MM is practicing insanity..

KYPack
12-21-2008, 02:52 PM

Not so much the players. They are running around or have heaters on the sidelines. The fans are taking it up the keister.

May have to move this thread to the GC to go see it's friend Skin, with that comment, Ras.

The Shadow
12-22-2008, 03:31 PM
5 degrees at 3:30 down here in Chicago.
It's gonna drop lower.

swede
12-22-2008, 03:38 PM

Sing it Lamont, sing it!

Ten years from now, Ras, as you sink back into your Green and Gold custom La-z-Boy to watch your beloved Packers play, you may remember Monday, December 22, 2008 as the very first evening you began to have warm and fuzzy feelings for the Pack.

Rastak
12-22-2008, 03:51 PM

Sing it Lamont, sing it!

Ten years from now, Ras, as you sink back into your Green and Gold custom La-z-Boy to watch your beloved Packers play, you may remember Monday, December 22, 2008 as the very first evening you began to have warm and fuzzy feelings for the Pack.

I'll give it some thought, now win the damn game! :wink:

The Shadow
12-22-2008, 04:18 PM
Fuzzy sounds good.
Not sure about the warm tonight, tho.
But : what a wonderful Christmas it will be if the Pack musters a great effort and ruins the season for the Bears.

The Shadow
12-22-2008, 04:37 PM
Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:49 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This was my gameplan for the first meeting.
Now : if the Packers simply use the new one posted above, we will all have a very Merry Christmas.
If, like my wife, they don't listen to the old Shadow, I fear coal in the stocking.
.................................................. ..................................................

Overall, this is the time - and game - to begin breaking tendencies.
DEFENSE
1. In this game, I just don't see blitzing in the ways we've been doing it. It seems that the linebackers are just not getting there on time, and removing them from coverage zones against the Bears, who have been relying on tight end and back patterns is not the way to go.
a. I would pressure with the front four WITH a bit of the unusual - an occasional unexpected blitz from a corner or safety. b.I would strongly remind the D linemen to get those hands up and obstruct the passing lanes (esp. if Grossman starts).
2. c. Barnett's injury is unfortunate, but Hawk may be actually now sliding into his natural position (MLB), and that might wind up being a good thing. If you recall, Brian Urlacher never truly blossomed until he was moved from WLB to the middle. This may prove true with A.J. Hawk should be assigned the task of shadowing/keying Matt Forte everywhere. You can count on some screens and flat patterns, and Hawk should keep him firmly in his sights.
3. d. If we lose this game, it won't be because of the Bear's running attack. Offensive coordinator Ron Turner is no dummy : he is quite aware of all the recent concern with the Packer's struggles with stopping the run - and will be expecting the Pack to be overly focused on stopping Forte. He also will surmise that this shapes up as a close game. Therefore, expect him to try to hit the big pass early.
The Bear running game is no juggernaut; focusing too much on it at the expense of pass defense can be costly.
SO : e.I would counter by assigning Chillar the primary task of shadowing TE Desmond Clark - NOT the faster Greg Olson. I would liberally substitute Aaron Rouse in place of Brady Poppinga whenever those 2nd and 7 or 3 & 4 situations arose. Olson will be a key player for the Bears in this one, and speed is needed here for coverage. Far better to make the Bears have to go to their subpar wide receivers. Rouse is a big guy, and the extra safety coverage speed will help greatly. 4. Woodson should be assigned to cover Devon Hester whenever Hester is on the field. Al Harris should not draw that assignment - EVER.

OFFENSE
1. f.The Bears will be more concerned with stopping the passing attack than the run. They have been under a lot of heat recently for their pass defense deficiencies. They do not think Grant can beat them, and will focus much more on stopping Rodgers.
So : establishing the run could be absolutely nec. to make the pass attack go.
The Bears have a tendency to overpursue; cutback lanes will be there, and it will be up to Grant to make the defense pay.
2. Slants. yes, but judiciously. The Bear's corners watch film; they are going to be looking to jump routes for a quick 6.
There will be a rush - esp. if Clifton's recent performances signal a chronic downward spiral, and Tommie Harris has a good day - so Rodgers needs a lot of quick release mojo.
SO : it would be very helpful to run a quick slant that breaks back fast and allows a Jennings, Driver, Nelson, or Jones to get that all-important step on the corner.
An early score in this game will be huge.

a. Woodson sack
b. No D line sacks, but 2 knockdowns (Jolly's was crucial)
c. Hawk had an excellent game - and will remain at MLB
d. The Bears did not pound away as much as many expected
e. Chillar had a fine game. Williams (instead of Rouse), helped contain
Olson - good move.
f. Best rushing performance of year. Mike Brown in the box? Throw. Brown back? Run.

Great day!

Freak Out
12-22-2008, 04:52 PM
It is going to be fucking brutal tonight in Chicago.....from what I'm seeing -30 to -40 wind chill.....even Alaskans take heed of weather like that.

We'll see what these teams are made of.

Rastak
12-22-2008, 04:59 PM
It is going to be fucking brutal tonight in Chicago.....from what I'm seeing -30 to -40 wind chill.....even Alaskans take heed of weather like that.

We'll see what these teams are made of.

Games like this are great on TV, as long you aren't some poor idiot who paid x amount of dollars to get frostbite while trying hard to watch a football game, even as the feet freeze solid.

Harlan Huckleby
12-22-2008, 05:08 PM
game plan? they don't need no stinkin game plan. it's going to be an old fashioned, black-and-blue division classic.

The Shadow
12-22-2008, 05:21 PM
Matador vs Bull.
Let's play it smart!

Fritz
12-22-2008, 05:29 PM

I think a lot of Packer fans are feeling this way this year anyway, Ras.

The Shadow
12-22-2008, 05:58 PM

I think a lot of Packer fans are feeling this way this year anyway, Ras.

Not that that's a bad thing.

Fritz
12-22-2008, 06:14 PM
Uh, Grandpa? It's a bad thing.

Rastak
12-22-2008, 06:21 PM
Uh, Grandpa? It's a bad thing.

It all depends on your point of view and your perspective but I gotta side with Mr. Cranston on this one....it's bad thing taking it up the chute.

The Shadow
12-22-2008, 08:08 PM
The best way to attack these guys is to throw the ball.

esoxx
12-23-2008, 12:10 AM
Block during FG attempts.

Kick the ball with a higher trajectory.