PDA

View Full Version : Favre has two more games to deliver

RashanGary
12-18-2008, 08:42 AM
THE Brett Favre experiment, which began 131 days ago when he stepped off a private plane in Cleveland, has come down to this: two games, eight quarters, 120 minutes of football.

If the Jets New York Jets ' season is over when the final whistle blows in two weeks, the trade with Green Bay that brought Favre to New York can be considered nothing but an absolute failure. The Jets knew this was the risk when they made the deal last summer.

It was a bold move that rendered the future irrelevant. This was all about 2008. Chad Pennington Chad Pennington was jettisoned and Kellen Clemens Kellen Clemens was shoved aside. It put the Jets on the back page, and sold jerseys and PSLs, but how great has Favre's impact been on the field?

Somehow, he made the Pro Bowl yesterday. But even the most ardent Jets supporter would admit that's the silliest trip to Hawaii since the Brady Bunch vacationed there.

Favre has had some memorable moments, from six touchdowns against the Cardinals to leading the Jets to overtime dramatics in Foxborough. In the past three weeks, though, his play has slipped, and so has the team.

His quarterback ratings in losses to Denver (60.9), San Francisco (60.8) and the miracle win over the Bills (61.4) are the worst healthy three-game stretch he's had since the end of the 2002 season.

Favre started strong Sunday but fizzled after the first quarter. He threw two interceptions, one off a wacky bounce that wasn't his fault, the other a bad decision to throw into double coverage, compounded by an underthrow. That gave him an NFL-leading 17 interceptions.

"I had him [but] underthrew it," Favre said Sunday after the 31-27 win. "Maybe I don't have the arm I used to have. I don't know."

The last part of that comment was off-handed, but it may have shown a sliver of self-doubt we haven't seen from Favre before, and rightfully so.

The 39-year-old quarterback badly missed wide open Dustin Keller on a third-down pass in the fourth quarter, and several other throws sailed out of his receivers' reach.

Don't tell me about what a great downfield passer Favre is, either. Of his deep passes (balls that traveled in the air 21 or more yards), he's completed 12 of 47 (26 percent) for 405 yards, five touchdowns and eight interceptions for a rating of 58.86.

Remember how Pennington was supposed to be such a terrible longball thrower. In 2006, his last full season as the Jets' starter, he completed 15 of 41 (37 percent) for 505 yards, six touchdowns and three interceptions for a 92.98 rating.

Pennington's success in Miami has put Favre's performance under a more powerful microscope. Pennington is the fourth-rated passer in the NFL; Favre is 15th. This has spawned a what-if game among Jets fans: Would the Jets' record be 9-5 with Pennington instead of Favre?

It's impossible to know the answer, but if the ultimate doomsday scenario comes true for the Jets and Pennington knocks them out of the playoffs in two weeks, Eric Mangini and Mike Tannenbaum better go into hiding.

You can forget about 2009, too. You get the impression Deanna Favre isn't buying green bananas these days. Her husband sounds like a man on his last day of vacation: He's happy he made the trip, but he's ready to go home.

That leaves two weeks for Favre to either make the high hopes that walked off that plane with him in Cleveland a reality, or end another sad chapter in Jets history.

RashanGary
12-18-2008, 08:52 AM
And isn't it all about a championship. Even if they make it and flame out with a 4 INT game against a good team (when you can't get away with turnovers like you can when you have the easiest schedule in the NFL) isn't that an ultimate failure too.

And were we really going to win one with Favre (after we hadn't in the last 12 years with him)? Is that 2nd or 3rd round draft pick (Collins/Jenning/Nelson/Jones/Colledge/Spitz) type player for the next 10 years going to help more than this one year with Brett anyway.

It sucked, for many, to see him go. Here we are though. We're probably better off with Rodgers and Miami is probably better off with Pennington.

sheepshead
12-18-2008, 08:52 AM
Here you go:

www.nyjetschat.com

Have a good time.

MOBB DEEP
12-18-2008, 08:55 AM
[quote="JustinHarrell""I had him [but] underthrew it," Favre said Sunday after the 31-27 win. "Maybe I don't have the arm I used to have. I don't know."

when i first heard him say that i was SO proud of his honesty; u know, that awesome trait/quality he's displayed for years and years.... 8-)

too bad "that guy" (TT) lied/lies....LOL

however JH, as most rational jets fans realize THE experiment is ALREADY a success - DUH!!!

Pugger
12-18-2008, 09:04 AM
Even if Miami doesn't knock the Jets out of the playoffs the management guys on the Jets are damn fools. They gave away a pretty good QB for nothing and the fella signed within their division now he just might come back to bite them in the rear - which would be the ultimate in irony! :lol: Can you imagin the howling around here if TT would've done the same with Brett and BF signed with the VIKINGS? :shock:

RashanGary
12-18-2008, 09:12 AM
however JH, as most rational jets fans realize THE experiment is ALREADY a success - DUH!!!

There must not be many rational Jets fans and if those that enjoy losing out on championships are the rational ones, well, I hope we don't have many of them here in Green Bay. I especially hope our leadership doesn't fall under that loser umbrella of rationality.

packrat
12-18-2008, 09:15 AM
It has been a huge success--for the Packers! It was so nice of Brett to give us a draft choice and cap room as a retirement gift. Of course, the Jet's got what they wanted--a bump in publicity and revenues, regardless of the wins on the field.

LL2
12-18-2008, 09:18 AM
Even if Miami doesn't knock the Jets out of the playoffs the management guys on the Jets are damn fools. They gave away a pretty good QB for nothing and the fella signed within their division now he just might come back to bite them in the rear - which would be the ultimate in irony! :lol: Can you imagin the howling around here if TT would've done the same with Brett and BF signed with the VIKINGS? :shock:

Not only that the Jets will not have a good QB possibly after this season and for sure in the next few years.

MOBB DEEP
12-18-2008, 09:21 AM

Not only that the Jets will not have a good QB possibly after this season and for sure in the next few years.

bretts playn 3 more years....

dissident94
12-18-2008, 09:27 AM
Qb rating means crap.

Favre was hit int he legs by his lineman on that throw and that was the reason it was underthrown

Favre has to prove he can still play well late in the year or his playing days may be done.

MOBB DEEP
12-18-2008, 09:29 AM

There must not be many rational Jets fans and if those that enjoy losing out on championships are the rational ones, well, I hope we don't have many of them here in Green Bay. I especially hope our leadership doesn't fall under that loser umbrella of rationality.

u may be right so let me make it more personal...the experiment has been a success TO ME; it had me buying his jersey and spendn 500 on tickets for the season finale. and patinpackland has said all year that the buzz in the northeast has been incredible so im fairly sure im not the ONLY one who is happy with the decision

JH, do u really care how he "delivers" anyway? are u a jet or favre supporter?

btw, HE MADE 6 PRO BOWLERS THIS YEAR b/c of play, intangibles, and exposure

the BEST peeps to ask if it was a "success" are his teammates who were their last season really

MOBB DEEP
12-18-2008, 09:32 AM
Favre has to prove he can still play well late in the year or his playing days may be done.

QFT, period.....

and jets can get cassell IF favre retires

gex
12-18-2008, 09:41 AM

Wel, if Favre is not that good anyways, then replacing him with somebody else should be no problem, right?
You haters need to get your stories straight (is he good or does he suck) :roll:

cpk1994
12-18-2008, 09:43 AM
[quote="JustinHarrell""I had him [but] underthrew it," Favre said Sunday after the 31-27 win. "Maybe I don't have the arm I used to have. I don't know."

when i first heard him say that i was SO proud of his honesty; u know, that awesome trait/quality he's displayed for years and years.... 8-)

however JH, as most rational jets fans realize THE experiment is ALREADY a success - DUH!!!You don't want to start that shit again. You have been warned.

MOBB DEEP
12-18-2008, 09:48 AM

however JH, as most rational jets fans realize THE experiment is ALREADY a success - DUH!!!You don't want to start that shit again. You have been warned.

start what?

i was joking about brett calln TT a liar on fox....and i said reasonable jet fans are already pleased with bretts impact...

?????

am i not allowed to joke about our, i mean you all's GM?? WTH???

MOBB DEEP
12-18-2008, 09:51 AM
Wel, if Favre is not that good anyways, then replacing him with somebody else should be no problem, right?

XACTLY.....just like if rodgers woulda "deivered" better in an open competition in TC he woulda been the starter anyway...... :lol:

Tarlam!
12-18-2008, 09:54 AM
I can't wait for him to retire, so we can all get some let up and talk Packers on this board.

cpk1994
12-18-2008, 10:00 AM

start what?

i was joking about brett calln TT a liar on fox....and i said reasonable jet fans are already pleased with bretts impact...

?????

am i not allowed to joke about our, i mean you all's GM?? WTH???I should have porbably added an emoticon. Like this: :wink:

HarveyWallbangers
12-18-2008, 10:07 AM
I won't call it a success or a failure yet--just like I won't call it a success or a failure for the Packers. I'd like to see what kind of success we have with Rodgers at QB the next few years, and I'd like to see how our 2nd or 3rd round pick does for us. For the Jets, we'll see how they do this year and for the rest of Favre's career. He'll likely do the retirement dance and come back next year. If the Jets fail to make a splash in the playoffs before Favre retires, then it could possibly be labeled a failure for them.

Gunakor
12-18-2008, 12:40 PM
XACTLY.....just like if rodgers woulda "deivered" better in an open competition in TC he woulda been the starter anyway...... :lol:

I would have loved to see this competiton, but it would have had a very negative effect on the team should it have taken place.

I think Rodgers would have won this competiton had it taken place this year - note I said this year, because if we'd take this years Rodgers and had him compete with Favre of the 90's there's no way in hell Favre loses - but regardless of the outcome, there would have been a QB controversy swirling over this team all season long. Brett wins, starts throwing INT's, and everybody calls for Rodgers to start. Rodgers wins, and starts throwing late game INT's, and everybody starts calling for Favre to start. There was absolutely no way to win in that scenario. So while I'd have liked to see this competiton just for pure entertainment value, I'm glad they did not have one.

Freak Out
12-18-2008, 01:58 PM
Somehow, he made the Pro Bowl yesterday. But even the most ardent Jets supporter would admit that's the silliest trip to Hawaii since the Brady Bunch vacationed there.

:lol: Is this your line?

sheepshead
12-18-2008, 02:05 PM
I can't wait for him to retire, so we can all get some let up and talk Packers on this board.

Fuckin' Hey

ThunderDan
12-21-2008, 06:24 PM
Favre certainly didn't deliver in game 1.

DonHutson
12-21-2008, 06:31 PM
He's delivering... a third round draft pick to Green Bay.

He looked good turning down the stretch, but these 16 game seasons and December games are a real bitch.

pack4to84
12-21-2008, 06:33 PM
Favre trying to stick it to TT by sucking since Thanksgiving. I take the ship and sink it so TT doesn't get a 2nd rd pick.

digitaldean
12-21-2008, 08:30 PM

If he keeps underthrowing receivers and having the type of games he has played the last 3 weeks, he won't be allowed to play 3 more years...

I'll admit he looked great vs. New England and vs. Titans. But since then he has been underwhelming.

channtheman
12-21-2008, 11:38 PM

I'm trying to figure out, is that a good thing? Favre isn't the reason for the Jets success this year and I'm more on the line of thinking that he is the reason that they aren't doing so well. Jets fans can only imagine what could have been had Pennington been their QB this year...

KYPack
12-22-2008, 08:29 AM
I'm trying to figure out, is that a good thing? Favre isn't the reason for the Jets success this year and I'm more on the line of thinking that he is the reason that they aren't doing so well. Jets fans can only imagine what could have been had Pennington been their QB this year...

That's a big theme on the Jets boards.

"We'd be in the play-offs for sure is we only wudda kept Chad!"

It may be true. Pennington has had a spectacular season. He should get some run at MVP and Brett's year is down the tubes since the Tenn game.

This is one strange year.

LL2
12-22-2008, 08:47 AM
Even the biggest Jets fan Mike Greenburg on Mike and Mike this morning said that Favre looks old and doesn't want Favre back next year unless Favre is committed to attending all of the off season training camps. If Favre plans on waiting until July to play and report to camp then Greenburg thinks the team should move on. I'm glad TT and the Pack have already moved on, and we as fans do not have to put up with this crap anymore.

sheepshead
12-22-2008, 10:31 AM
Brett Favre will play his last game in 2008.

Freak Out
12-22-2008, 11:19 AM
Losing to the Seahawks is the nail in the coffin for old #4 and maybe for the guys that brought him to NY...it's not all his fault....the Jets had the winning formula but failed to use it. Stupid.

Fritz
12-22-2008, 12:04 PM
This from NFL.com:

"Favre came up short when the Jets (9-6) needed him most. Then again, New York has felt that way for a month.

The Jets were 8-3 and an apparent shoo-in for the playoffs. But New York has lost three of four while Favre has thrown just one touchdown pass and six interceptions.

On Sunday, he started 8-for-9 but finished 18-of-31 for 187 yards and two interceptions. He underthrew Coles near the Seahawks' 30 in the fourth quarter, and David Clowney earlier when he was 3 yards behind Josh Wilson at the Seahawks' 40. That brought to mind questions of whether a 39-year-old passing shoulder is finally betraying Favre."

Looks like, unless the Jets win and get some help, the Pack will get a third round pick. Funny how the season seems to have ended up sucking for both Favre and the Pack.

And now the Jets can deal with Favre's "real" retirement, or maybe retirement, or non-retirement, or whichever it will be.

LL2
12-22-2008, 12:18 PM
The Pack can get that 2nd rd pick in this scenario:

The Jets clinch the AFC East title with a win over Miami and a New England loss.

That is a big IF. Pennington is sure going to try to stick it to his old team!

LP
12-22-2008, 12:38 PM
I remember reading somewhere that if Favre were to retire this year, Green Bay would have to give a fith round pick back to the Jets. Anyone know if there is any truth to that?

sheepshead
12-22-2008, 01:15 PM
Jim McMahon was just on ESPN radio and said that Favre told him he was going to retire at the end of the 07-08 season when they visited after the Bears game here last year. Interesting if it's true. Telling, where his heart and head were during the playoffs.

Chevelle2
12-22-2008, 03:43 PM
Jim McMahon was just on ESPN radio and said that Favre told him he was going to retire at the end of the 07-08 season when they visited after the Bears game here last year. Interesting if it's true. Telling, where his heart and head were during the playoffs.

The monday nighter, in week 5?!?!

sheepshead
12-22-2008, 04:31 PM
12-23

Fritz
12-22-2008, 05:32 PM
After seeing Favre's performance the last three weeks, how many Packerrats still think the Pack would be in the playoffs if Favre were with the team?

How many posters would like to swap with the Jets and have to deal with the retirement drama this offseason?

sheepshead
12-23-2008, 07:14 AM
Ahhh the irony!!!

Plus you can see a poll about Brett's last game-yikes:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2008/12/22/2008-12-22_chad_pennington_may_be_one_to_make_brett-2.html

LL2
12-23-2008, 12:53 PM
So...is TT smiling?

Winners and losers: Faltering Favre arrives

By Charles Robinson, Yahoo! Sports Dec 21, 11:46 pm EST

This is where it all starts with Brett Favre. This is where fans start groaning about his decision-making. This is where Favre starts moaning about being emotionally taxed and how this might be it for him. And this is where the season collapses.

As the New York Jets quarterback told reporters leading into Sunday: “I’m well aware of the fact that there’s two games left. I’m expecting us to make the playoffs, as I hope the rest of the team is, but it very well could be my last. It could be my last three games, last four games, I don’t know.”

If Jets fans listen closely, they can hear Green Bay Packers general manager Ted Thompson snickering from 750 miles away. He knows this hell the Packers have lived in over the past few seasons. The scenario where Favre’s level of play plummets like a piano pushed off the penthouse window sill, and takes the playoff hopes with it.

That’s what is happening before our eyes. Favre has one touchdown and six interceptions in his last four games, a 1-3 record in that span, and a month of play that hasn’t seen him post a quarterback rating north of 61.4. That begs one question: Is it too late for Jets coach Eric Mangini to change his infant son’s middle name? Maybe to Eli or Peyton?

But take heart, Jets fans. All isn’t lost. Not yet, anyway. The Jets still have faint playoff hopes. If they beat the Miami Dolphins next week – in the Meadowlands return of Dolphins quarterback Chad Pennington, no less – they could still get in. But only if one of two things happen: a New England Patriots loss at the Buffalo Bills, or if the Baltimore Ravens fall to the visiting Jacksonville Jaguars.

Impossible? No. Unlikely? Definitely, particularly when you consider Favre hasn’t strung together two great quarters of football since that Nov. 23 win over Tennessee – a victory that seems far in the rearview mirror now, along with those screaming proclamations of the Jets as Super Bowl material and Favre as an MVP candidate. All of that is gone now, with Favre getting outdueled by the Seattle Seahawks’ Seneca Wallace, in the type of snowy conditions that helped forge his legend.

So here the Jets sit, hoping and praying and watching their season play out in a string of variables. Waiting for Chad Pennington to return, hoping he won’t exact some revenge for all the years of venom he swallowed.
The end is coming. And that makes the Jets this week’s biggest loser.

woodbuck27
12-23-2008, 03:24 PM
It's threads like this one that remind me why I had to take leave of this place. Some of your prejudices cloud your brain.

Questions?

How many games did the NY Jets win in 2007? How many games have the Jets won this season with Favre at QB? I believe the results of these questions certainly reveal the answer to any question of Jets with or without Favre.

Favre has played well as a Jet given what he has to work with. Y'all may take a good look at the HC and game decisions Re: the loss to the Seahawks. That reminds me of what I see too in terms of the Packer results.

The players can only execute the plays. The coaching staff have to prepare them and the HC make the calls in terms of strategy. The HC isn't beyond reproof. I really get a kick of the ignorant fan that actually believes it's all on the QB in terms of 'a pick' too. Sure it is. :D

Despite the recent nosedive the Jets are still alive going to the final week.

I might toss out a question on the decision to go with Aaron Rodgers and the dismal results of the Packer season. That result has little again to do with QB play.

There are several factors that should be obvious as to why the Packers may only win six games this season. QB play isn't one of them. :D

Any knowledgeable football fan knows full well that you cannot pin a season or a lost game on the teams QB. There are many elements that lead to a result both positve or negative.

I really want to express this:

Merry Christmas PackerRats and have a healthy and very Happy New Year.

DonHutson
12-23-2008, 07:22 PM
Ted Thompson snickering from 750 miles away.

A. Ted has never "snickered" in his life.

B. He shouldn't be starting now. While he was right about Favre, he's got plenty of other problems to occupy his time.