PDA

View Full Version : Interesting thing about 4th quarter comebacks

HarveyWallbangers
12-18-2008, 11:33 AM
The Packers went 13-3 last year. Only four times did they tie or take the lead in the 4th quarter or OT.

Against Philadelphia, they were tied 13-13. The Philly return man fumbled at his own 35 with 59 seconds left. The offense ran the ball three times for 6 yards and Crosby kicked a 42 yard FG as time expired.

In two other games (San Diego and Kansas City), the Packers took the lead with over two minutes left AND the defense held the lead.

In the other game, the Packers won the coin toss in OT and scored.

This year, the Packers offense has actually tied the game or taken the lead six times in the 4th quarter. In five of those six games, the defense has NOT held on. (They only held on in the Detroit game.) In another game, they had a chance to win the game as time expired, but Coach Mac got conservative and Mason Crosby missed the FG.

Kind of interesting. It's why I haven't lost hope that Rodgers can get it done in the crunch. He's brought the team back several times late in games, but has been put in a position to do it a second time FAR too often.

BF4MVP
12-18-2008, 11:38 AM
GREAT post. Couldn't have said it better myself.

swede
12-18-2008, 12:17 PM
Harv rocks.

Patler has those intellectual chops down but Harv just plain straight tells it like it is.

mngolf19
12-18-2008, 05:46 PM
Not saying they are the same but this is interesting as well. Culpepper had very good yardage and completion stats during his years with the Vikes but never had 4th qtr comebacks. Something I always thought kept him out of conversations as being a good QB.

sheepshead
12-18-2008, 05:54 PM
Nice work.

hurleyfan
12-18-2008, 06:02 PM
Kind of interesting. It's why I haven't lost hope that Rodgers can get it done in the crunch. He's brought the team back several times late in games, but has been put in a position to do it a second time FAR too often.

Good post Harv...

But unfortunately for Rogers... until he actually WINS a game that is on the line late, he'll get jabbed..

Gunakor
12-18-2008, 06:19 PM

Good post Harv...

But unfortunately for Rogers... until he actually WINS a game that is on the line late, he'll get jabbed..

Right, because it'd be too silly to expect the defense to win a game.

The Leaper
12-18-2008, 06:24 PM
Thing is...Favre made two ridiculous throws for TDs to win 2 of those games. In the NFL, you win by scoring TDs...not settling for a FG when you are down 1 or 2 points.

Rodgers hasn't looked good late in games...he's made poor decisions, but the rest of the offense is to blame as well for poor play. My point would simply be that a proven legend like Favre really takes pressure off everyone else...and gives guys confidence that they WILL win, no matter what.

Sorry, but I just don't see the same thing from the offense when Rodgers is in there yet. Doesn't mean he won't get there eventually...but it is a chink in his armor at the moment.

Bretsky
12-18-2008, 06:35 PM
Good post; I just don't give a ton of thought to how the Packers will lose next anymore. It's like habit for them now.

5-9; gosh I'm still sick.

hurleyfan
12-18-2008, 06:42 PM

Good post Harv...

It sure would be nice if the defense could at least slow some team down!

But the fact remains... until Rogers "snatches a victory from the jaws of defeat", he will not get the accolades.

Packers4Ever
12-18-2008, 08:10 PM
Harv rocks.

Patler has those intellectual chops down but Harv just plain straight tells it like it is.

Harv also sings while he rocks, ever hear him ?? 8-)

MJZiggy
12-18-2008, 08:37 PM

Good post Harv...

It sure would be nice if the defense could at least slow some team down!

But the fact remains... until Rogers "snatches a victory from the jaws of defeat", he will not get the accolades.

He keeps snatching it, but the defense seems determined to feed that beast.

Maybe they should let them score faster--give Rodgers more time for the necessary last-minute score. :idea:

Noodle
12-18-2008, 09:08 PM
Rodgers hasn't looked good late in games...he's made poor decisions, but the rest of the offense is to blame as well for poor play.

Kind of depends how you define "late in games." Rodgers has led a number of scoring drives "late in the game," but he has yet to lead a last drive come back.

I worry about this. Not because I think he's incapable. But because this kind of thing can become an unfair label. Longwell had the same thing, as I remember Ron Wolf saying dogging the guy for never hitting a game winner. Finaly, Longwell did -- he was not an inferior kicker before he hit it, but hitting it made his bones and earned him respect that he didn't have before.

The simple fact is that Rodgers needs to get a last-possession, game-winning drive under his belt. That will shut up the nay-sayers. And, more importantly, that will shut up the voices that have to be plaguing him at this point.

HarveyWallbangers
12-18-2008, 10:41 PM
Good point, noodle.

VegasPackFan
12-18-2008, 11:06 PM
Harv, you are saying exactly what I have been saying to all my friends. I have been pointing this same thing out. Good post and right on the money!

SnakeLH2006
12-18-2008, 11:54 PM
Thing is...Favre made two ridiculous throws for TDs to win 2 of those games. In the NFL, you win by scoring TDs...not settling for a FG when you are down 1 or 2 points.

Rodgers hasn't looked good late in games...he's made poor decisions, but the rest of the offense is to blame as well for poor play. My point would simply be that a proven legend like Favre really takes pressure off everyone else...and gives guys confidence that they WILL win, no matter what.

Sorry, but I just don't see the same thing from the offense when Rodgers is in there yet. Doesn't mean he won't get there eventually...but it is a chink in his armor at the moment.

Agreed to all your points...Arod is good, but to go to the next level, he needs to make us (much more his teammates) think we have a chance late. I'd like to see some QB ratings for the 4th QT as I'm not blaming ARod why we are 5-9 (too many reasons in players, coaching, some injuries) yet he's got a good QB rating, but saw too many games with my buddies where he threw a late game pick, poor execution, etc. to be considered one of the best QB's right now. I think with time it will happen, but he has disappointed big-time in clutch-time.

Yes Favre has had 17 years to accumulate many late drives, but does anyone remember his first experience as a Packer, yes he won that game....Timeless classic that I remember being #1 on Sterling Sharpe's fan club as a very young Pack fan (and Sharpe was hurt when HE (god...sorry Favre) did this in his 1st game. Hope we see more of this, as this is my only barb on ARod till he does it....This is why we worship (some still do) Favre.....Arod's had 13 games, but where is this spark? This shit wins games. I like Arod, but I doubt he'll EVER be able to do what Favre did in his 1st Packer game. This shit wins games. 17/18 seasons without a losing record speaks for itself.....ARod seems just "too cool" and content, not a lot of fire/drive that I've seen thus far. I'm sure he likes to win, but Brett took that shit on his shoulder at 21 or 39....it's all on him..."Only God Can Judge me Now"...maybe I'm wrong, but hey...I don't get the feeling with ARod...that we have a CHANCE!! Only God can judge me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=padvnsLUhUM

I like the quotes: "Is there a spark in GB? Yes. GB has the look of a winner with the gunslinger, #4." This is what is missing. Please y'all, I'm not trying to say ARod is bad, he's good, but damn what a timeless classic this is....At 39 he's leading a new O from 4-12 to division winners...fuck. This is the fire we need. Who cares about his drama, he wins/won us games. I hope this season is just the sorry excuse of an abortion of TT's will, yet I don't know, Favre haters may miss him more than they think. Just win baby. I always had the feeling (whether he threw a long TD or a pick) we had a chance late, not so much with ARod EVER in 13 games....we'll see where that goes in the next few seasons, right? Do you get the feeling late (blame the D...we had a chance on late drives 7 times to win)...

This is NOT a rip on Arod so much as what we gave up to an AFC team. Sad to say an old 39 year old QB is the difference (yes the D and RB's are good, but look at his track reacord) in a 4-12 season to AFC contender and we go to shit with a "good" QB in his own right. It's not fair to rip Arod, but Brett would have led us to the playoffs. We have NO leaders. That is so fucking underrated as a team....NO leaders. Who leads this team? Oh well, good picks for TT, right? TT has no personal skills with his team (as this shit is underrated..I worked 8 years at my job and finally the GM was ousted being a outstanding dick) yet I'm still there as the senior peep at my firm. TT's firm tenure is numbered. M3 is a good coach. They all fucked up. Favre (drama or not) would have gotten us into the playoffs in 2008. Do not EVER shortchange sheer will. Arod is lacking in that.

(Goosebumps.....) Peep this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ6LTcvzzAs