PDA

View Full Version : White Christmas for New York

hurleyfan
12-18-2008, 07:50 PM
Well, here it is Thursday December 18th, and we're looking at the first major snowstorm of the winter! In the Hudson Valley, we're expecting anywhere from 6 to 18 inches of snow this Friday! And another possible storm on Sunday into Monday!!

It will be a great follow up to last weeks major ice storm, as we were without power for almost two days, and some folks in the area were almost a week with no power! Global warming.... my ass!

MJZiggy
12-18-2008, 08:06 PM
Maybe you should run off to Vegas where it's--never mind...

http://wtop.com/?nid=104&sid=1550392

hurleyfan
12-18-2008, 08:08 PM

Can you believe that!!

I'll be in Vegas end of May 2009, and I hope there is no snow then!!

packinpatland
12-18-2008, 08:43 PM

Can you believe that!!

Average temp. for Vegas in May-June is 80.......slim chance of any snow. :wink:

Here in CT, everything has been cancelled for tomorrow. Other parts of the state have gotten snow/ice (last storm) but, so far, here on the coast we've had nothing.....this one is including us. Gotta admit....it's alittle exciting......been a long time since we've had a white Christmas.

oregonpackfan
12-19-2008, 12:15 AM
We've been having snow/ice/"cold" the past 5 days out here in the Pacific Northwest. It is amazing how native Oregonians cannot deal with snow and/or ice. Many schools have been shut down all week for a total of 6-7" of snow. :oops:

GrnBay007
12-19-2008, 12:20 AM
It's been snowing heavily here the last 2 hours. Supposed to get 8-12 inches before 6am with more predicted Sat. and Sun.

sheepshead
12-19-2008, 07:06 AM
everything seems to be closed here. 12" ? Must be a guy predicting that! 8-)

GrnBay007
12-19-2008, 09:24 AM
Well, they are saying we got 9 inches here. Hard to believe though...after shoveling the driveway, I'd say at least 12 inches.

oregonpackfan
12-19-2008, 10:47 AM
I was driving I-5 last night to Longview, WA--about 35 miles north of the WA-OR border. There was black ice and swirling snow. I passed 4 different accidents(rescue vehicles were already there) in a 20 mile stretch.

It seems from this article that the entire northern half of the continental USA is having winter storms.

Storm bringing wintry misery to Midwest
news-general-20081219-Wintry.Weather

A snowboarder heads down a side street and past snowed-in cars in Seattle's ...
2 hours ago
Loading... Must Read?Thank YouYes 200

CHICAGO — A major winter storm cut a broad swath across the Midwest on Friday, snarling traffic and cutting power to thousands of households. Schools across the Northeast closed in anticipation as the storm lumbered eastward.

The National Weather Service said heavy snow, sleet and freezing rain would continue through midmorning in Illinois and Indiana.

"We are pleading with the public to stay home today if possible," said Marisa Kollias, spokeswoman for the Illinois Department of Transportation.

Power companies reported 60,000 customers in Illinois without service. In Indiana, 120,000 outages were reported.

In Wisconsin, more than 8 inches of snow had fallen by daybreak in Jefferson County in the southeast part of the state.

Milwaukee's airport was closed because snowplows on the runways could not keep up with "whiteout conditions," airport spokeswoman Pat Rowe said.

Snow and freezing rain were also a problem in Iowa. But authorities there said only scattered power outages were reported, because there wasn't much wind to bring ice-laden tree limbs down onto power lines.

In the Northeast, snowfall totals of up to 14 inches were forecast. Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick asked nonessential state employees to stay home.

More than 300 flights were canceled at Chicago's O'Hare International Airport, and ahead of the storm, more than 500 were canceled at New York City-area airports.

Children got an early start on the holiday break as schools were closed from Nebraska to Michigan to New Jersey, New York and New England.

The storm had the potential to complicate efforts to restore power to New England homes and businesses still without power one week after an ice storm that toppled trees and utility lines.

Officials said about 10,000 customers in Massachusetts were still waiting for power to be restored, down from a peak of 350,000 in the immediate aftermath of the storm. A dozen emergency shelters remained in operation. In New Hampshire, about 33,000 homes and businesses were still in the dark.

On Wednesday and Thursday, wintry weather had made life miserable in parts of the West. A record December snowfall of 3.6 inches was recorded in Las Vegas, while in Spokane, Wash., nearly 2 feet of snow fell.

Bossman641
12-19-2008, 10:55 AM
I'm in Dallas right now for work but am supposed to be flying back home into O'Hare later today. Northern Illinois got hit pretty hard by ice and snow so we'll see how that works out.

70 and sunny here - it'd be a lot nicer if I could actually go outside and enjoy it. :(

It's amazing how much people freak out here over even a little cold. Temperatures were in the 20's and 30's earlier this week and everyone drives like they're on 2 feet of ice.

Harlan Huckleby
12-19-2008, 10:57 AM
I can't believe people are calling this little dusting in southern WI a "storm".

When I was a kid, a storm meant all the windows were sealed-shut with ice, and the doors were underneath snow drifts. We didn't shovel, we just waited for spring.

LL2
12-19-2008, 12:26 PM
I can't believe people are calling this little dusting in southern WI a "storm".

When I was a kid, a storm meant all the windows were sealed-shut with ice, and the doors were underneath snow drifts. We didn't shovel, we just waited for spring.

Did you walk uphill both ways when you were a kid too?

We got our 8 inches of snow last night early this morning....This is the 4th time shoveling this year and i'm already tired of it. This is going to be a long winter.

retailguy
12-19-2008, 12:39 PM
This is clearly a direct impact of Global Warming. Al Gore is right. We're doomed.

hurleyfan
12-19-2008, 03:26 PM
It's been snowing since around noon here, and we have about 6 inches on the ground.. Still coming down!

Freak Out
12-19-2008, 04:55 PM
You southerners are weak.

bobblehead
12-19-2008, 05:32 PM

Can you believe that!!

Don't worry, it was gone by the next morning.

MJZiggy
12-19-2008, 05:36 PM
I know, but the pictures were freaky.

GBRulz
12-19-2008, 08:43 PM
No doubt we're having a white christmas here...at this rate, we'll have a white easter, too.

MateoInMex
12-19-2008, 08:47 PM

Can you believe that!!

Average temp. for Vegas in May-June is 80.......slim chance of any snow. :wink:

Here in CT, everything has been cancelled for tomorrow. Other parts of the state have gotten snow/ice (last storm) but, so far, here on the coast we've had nothing.....this one is including us. Gotta admit....it's alittle exciting......been a long time since we've had a white Christmas.

I think the AVG. for Vegas in May-June is closer to 90+ right up to 100 in June. Early May, Vegans turn into dicks and start fighting for the 1 foot by 1 foot block of shade Palmetto trees give in store parking lots. Instead of parking in the normal parking spots at gas stations, right in early May starts the hoarding of parking in front of the gas pumps...just for the shade not for the gas, thus leaving lines of people waiting to fill up.

God do I miss that!

bobblehead
12-19-2008, 11:59 PM
I'm not savvy enough to post a picture of a friends backyard in southern highlands....very white.

And I admit it, I'm one of the dicks who parks at the gas pumps for the shade even when I have a full tank.

texaspackerbacker
12-20-2008, 08:54 AM
Even though it was in the 70s here yesterday, and will be again today, we even had a dusting of snow a couple of weeks ago, and it will be dropping to the 40s on Sunday and the 30s on Monday--then back to the 60s by Christmas.

We've had this roller coaster effect since the middle of November.

Harlan is right about more snow in southern Wisconsin back in the day. Arguably, though, that's because temperatures were actually warmer back then. You obviously don't get much snow when it's below 20 degrees.

GBRulz
12-20-2008, 09:14 AM
Harlan is right about more snow in southern Wisconsin back in the day. Arguably, though, that's because temperatures were actually warmer back then. You obviously don't get much snow when it's below 20 degrees.

Southern WI set records for snowfall totals last year. Didn't Madison have the snowiest season on record? I know GB had the third highest with records going back to 1887...perhaps Harlan remembers that one? lol

Many places are already on pace for another record breaking winter. I remember having lots of snow last December, but I don't remember it being this cold so early in the season. So, you better stop talking about all those warm temps down in Texas....or you might get some Wisconsinites knocking at your door :wink:

texaspackerbacker
12-20-2008, 09:27 AM
Ya'all come on down! Plenty of space here for all, and you (and your money) are more than welcome.

MJZiggy
12-20-2008, 12:35 PM
Sorry, I'm poor. My money has to stay behind as we can't afford the plane fare for it.

oregonpackfan
12-20-2008, 10:38 PM
The Pacific Northwest is currently being hit hard with snow. As I write this, the Portland Metro area has had about 8" with snow still coming down--a very rare snowfall for this part of the country.

Much of the northern half of the country is having inclement weather. The Sunday NFL games should be interesting...

Winter weather blasts nation from end to end
news-national-20081220-Wintry.Weather

People visit a waterfront park in borough of Brooklyn in New York on Saturda...
2 hours ago
Loading... Must Read?Thank YouYes 28

DES MOINES, Iowa — Successive waves of wintry weather gripped much of the country Saturday, frustrating holiday travelers from coast to coast and keeping the lights off for thousands of people who lost power after ice storms just days ago.

Iowa public safety officials urged motorists not to travel as heavy snow began to fall in the morning. The state expected winds up to 35 miles per hour and wind chills of minus 25 just two days after being slammed with sleet, ice and snow.

Washington state braced for hurricane-force winds as a storm blew in from the Pacific. The temperature dipped to minus 18 Saturday in Spokane, which expected up to 6 inches of snow on top of the 25 that fell over the past three days, said Johnny Burg, a National Weather Service meteorologist.

In the Northeast, the aftermath of snow that fell Friday continued to snarl air traffic. And residents who still lacked power after an ice storm last week grew frustrated as officials warned that the storm now battering the Midwest would blow in Sunday, the official first day of winter.

But the wintry conditions weren't unwelcome everywhere. Megan Zarbano, manager of Kratz Hardware in Valley City, N.D., noted that the snow was helping to clear inventory from years of mild winters.

"We haven't had a blizzard-type storm in almost 10 years," she said. "A good storm really shakes people up; they freak out and realize they're not prepared for winter."

North Dakota's snowfall total for December nearly matches the 19.3 inches that fell all last winter, said meteorologist Joshua Scheck at the National Weather Service office in Bismarck.

"And it's not even the first day of winter yet," he said Saturday.

The cold was the major concern in Illinois, where the Weather Service canceled a storm watch in the north but warned that freezing temperatures could cause flooding from ice jams on rivers near the Quad Cities and Rockford.

Meteorologists also said the weekend's temperatures, expected to hit minus 5 by late Sunday with wind gusts of 30 mph, could again damage power lines serving those plunged into darkness by ice earlier in the week.

More than 77,000 customers in northern Indiana still had no power Saturday after Thursday night's ice storm, and Indiana Michigan Power said the power failures could last beyond Wednesday. The Weather Service warned that winds as high as 40 mph would "create havoc with trees and power lines" already covered or weakened by ice.

In New Hampshire, more than 20,000 homes and businesses awaited restoration of power after an ice storm last week but feared the worst as the next storm approached.

"The utilities have made significant progress in restoring power in what is an unprecedented outage," New Hampshire Gov. John Lynch said Saturday. "However, I continue to hear frustration from the local communities regarding communication with the utilities, and I share their frustration."

Sunday's storm could bring more power failures to southern New Hampshire, which was expected to get 10 to 16 inches of snow, forecasters said.

Boston's Logan International Airport reported about 60 canceled flights and about 215 delays Saturday as effects lingered from a storm the day before. In the New York City area, some arrivals were three hours late to Newark airport, and arrival delays at Kennedy Airport averaged 90 minutes, according to the Federal Aviation Administration.

Alaska Airlines, a major regional carrier in the Northwest, said it pre-emptively canceled 47 flights to and from Seattle, Portland and Vancouver, British Columbia. United Airlines also canceled some flights, said Perry Cooper, spokesman for Seattle-Tacoma International Airport.

Blizzard warnings were posted for parts of Washington as high winds, snow and freezing rain began coating the state Saturday. Western Washington, including the Seattle area, could see wind gusts as high as 90 mph, meteorologist Burg said.

Up to 10 inches of snow was expected all along Interstate 5 in Oregon, the state's main north-south route, including Portland. The state braced for wind gusts up to 60 mph.

Freezing rain clattered to the ground Saturday in the agricultural Willamette Valley, meteorologist Jonathan Wolfe said.

"It'll be nasty well into Sunday evening," he said.

Accidents have been reported for days on the region's icy roads, including one Friday in which a charter bus slid down an icy hill and crashed through a barrier, slightly injuring several people and leaving the front of the bus dangling about 20 feet above Interstate 5 in Seattle.

Even an indoor ice skating rink in Seattle bowed to officials warning against travel, putting up a sign saying it was closed "because of snow."

___

GrnBay007
12-20-2008, 10:44 PM
Iowa public safety officials urged motorists not to travel as heavy snow began to fall in the morning. The state expected winds up to 35 miles per hour and wind chills of minus 25 just two days after being slammed with sleet, ice and snow.

:evil: Don't they know I have some Christmas shopping to finish up?

MJZiggy
12-20-2008, 10:49 PM
All that and here only wind and rain.

Joemailman
12-20-2008, 10:50 PM

:evil: Don't they know I have some Christmas shopping to finish up?

Might as well stay inside and make stuffed mushrooms. :D

MJZiggy
12-20-2008, 10:51 PM
From a healthy recipe of course...

Joemailman
12-20-2008, 10:54 PM
Sure. Take all the fun out of it.

MJZiggy
12-20-2008, 11:23 PM
I didn't know you enjoyed arteriosclerosis so much.

oregonpackfan
12-21-2008, 10:27 AM
The storm that hit the Pacific Northwest may be heading your way--be it the Midwest or eventually the Northeast! :shock:

New storm strikes Northwest, challenges travelers
news-general-20081221-Wintry.Weather

A giant star on a Macy's store shines as heavy snow falls late at night Satu...
3 hours ago
Loading... Must Read?Thank YouYes 176

SEATTLE — A fierce winter storm blew in from the Pacific with up to 2 feet of snow and icy wind, creating a nightmare for holiday travelers already stymied by winter's dance across the northern half of the country.

Snow, sleet and freezing rain caused treacherous driving conditions throughout the Pacific Northwest. Sections of two major highways — Interstate 84 in Oregon east of Portland, and Interstate 90 in Washington — were closed late Saturday and authorities urged people not to drive unless it was an emergency.

"It is extremely dangerous to be on the roads at this time," said Multnomah County Deputy Paul McRedmond, sheriff's spokesman.

Centralia, about 25 miles south of Olympia, had already received 9 inches Saturday night. The Seattle area was predicted to get 4 to 8 inches, and early Sunday had a wind chill was 15, the national Weather Service said. Portland and the rest of Oregon's Interstate 5 corridor could get as much as 10 inches.

"It'll be nasty well into Sunday evening," said Jonathan Wolfe, a weather service meteorologist.

A blizzard warning was posted for parts of the Columbia River Gorge between the two states. However, the wind abated in some areas. Late Saturday, wind blowing through the Cascades was steady at 20 to 30 mph with gusts to 50, some 20 to 30 mph less than expected, meteorologist Dana Felton said.

Authorities closed a 45-mile stretch of Interstate 84 from the Portland suburb of Troutdale to East River, Ore., and Interstate 90 across Snoqualmie Pass in the Cascade Range, Washington's main east-west roadway. There was no indication how long the highways would be closed.

The storm striking the Northwest on the first official day of winter was the third major cold-weather system to punch the country in two days. Northeasterners, many still recovering from an ice storm earlier in the week, dug out Saturday from several inches of snow the night before, and Midwesterners coped with weekend blizzard conditions.

Blizzard warnings remained in effect Sunday for parts of northern Illinois, Iowa and southern Minnesota, the weather service said.

As of Saturday, the December snowfall total in Bismarck, N.D., nearly equaled the 19.3-inch mark for of all last winter, said weather service meteorologist Joshua Scheck.

"The thing about North Dakota is that it's extreme," Scheck said. "For several years we haven't had an aggressive winter like this."

"If you get caught in this stuff, it really is life-threatening," said Dan Miller, science and operations officer at the weather service in Duluth, Minn.

Authorities warned that the storm could deliver a wallop as it moved eastward, potentially causing new power outages.

Gov. John Lynch of New Hampshire, where more than 20,000 homes and businesses were still in the dark Saturday, noted the long wait and the threat of further power failures, with a chance of up to 16 inches of snow forecast for the southern part of the state.

"I continue to hear frustration from the local communities regarding communication with the utilities, and I share their frustration," he said.

___

Contributing to this report were Associated Press writers William McCall and Tim Fought in Portland, Ore.; Amy Lorentzen in Des Moines, Iowa; James MacPherson in Bismarck, N.D.; James A. Carlson in Milwaukee; and David Tirrell-Wysocki in Concord, N.H.

(This version CORRECTS that I-90 is in Washington, I-84 in Oregon)

hurleyfan
12-22-2008, 07:02 AM
Well, we ended up with about 18 inches total from the two storms.. Little over a foot from Thursday's storm with an additional 6 inches on Sunday..

Christmas will be white here in my neck of the woods! Even with temps in the high 40's and rain on Wed!

SkinBasket
12-22-2008, 12:18 PM
I love threads about the weather. I get bored, go on the internet, come read this shit, and then realize that stabbing myself in the cock with a spoon is more fun.

No offense to those posting in this thread though - seriously.

packinpatland
12-22-2008, 01:00 PM
A spoon? :oops:

sheepshead
12-22-2008, 02:00 PM
I love threads about the weather. I get bored, go on the internet, come read this shit, and then realize that stabbing myself in the cock with a spoon is more fun.

Agreed, lets start one about aches and pains next. Does Algore know it's not gonna crack zero here!?!?

SkinBasket
12-22-2008, 02:31 PM
Why start a new one when we've got this one?

My toe hurts from constant acid treatment on a plantar wart. My left shoulder is almost recovered from a sprain, but all this shoveling (HA! aches AND weather!) is setting it back. I sprained my right thumb trying to stop my jiu jitsu instructor from choking me. My stomach hurts from all the Motrin and vodka. My asshole also hurts due to a case of the runs combined with cheap toilet paper. Oh, and my cock from all the spoonal abuse.

Who's next?

sheepshead
12-22-2008, 03:08 PM
Plus the PackerRat girls talk about the weather and say "here" but they dont say where "here" is!

MJZiggy
12-22-2008, 09:26 PM
Here is not there.

Joemailman
12-22-2008, 11:06 PM

A spoon? :oops:

He doesn't want to miss a drop.