PDA

View Full Version : Holmgren's last home game...meets Favre again

GrnBay007
12-19-2008, 12:08 AM
FAVRE GIVES CREDIT TO HOLMGREN

Mike Holmgren and Brett Favre won a Super Bowl together in Green Bay. On Sunday, they will stand on the same field for the last time as coach and quarterback when Favre and the Jets travel to Seattle to play Holmgren's Seahawks in what will be Holmgren's final home game as Seattle's coach.

"I can honestly say I would not be here today if it were not for Mike Holmgren," Favre said Wednesday. "He and I worked together a long time ago, but the things he taught me really hit me a little bit later -- how much of a perfectionist he was, how hard he was on me ... he put me in a position to succeed. He allowed me to play, or use my abilities the best way possible to not only catapult me, but to help our team win."

Holmgren was asked if having Favre -- who he coached for seven years -- playing for the other team will add to the emotions he'll have to deal with on Sunday.

"Sure," Holmgren said, adding that he and Favre will talk before the game.

"He has meant a lot to me over the years and seeing him always puts a smile on my face," Holmgren said. "When I saw the fact that, I don't know what came out first -- him signing with the Jets or the schedule -- but having this be my last home game here and Brett being on the team that comes in, the irony is just unbelievable. It'll be good to see him. He's having a great year and making a big difference, I think, with the football team."

oregonpackfan
12-19-2008, 12:19 AM
Ironically, though Favre will be playing in Seattle he may feel like he's playing in Green Bay. The Seattle area and much of the Pacific Northwest has been hit by snow and unseasonably cold weather. The playing surface is FieldTurf at Quest Field so it will not be quite like playing on the "Frozen Tundra."

Kiwon
12-19-2008, 03:00 AM
Ironic. Could be the last game for player and coach........until Holmgren announces in July that he wants to coach in the NFL for one more season :P

KYPack
12-19-2008, 07:46 AM
Really.

They can both "unretire" together.

sheepshead
12-19-2008, 08:30 AM
Overrated coach. Underrated Quarterback.

Joemailman
12-19-2008, 08:44 AM
I don't think overrated coaches make it to 3 Super Bowls. No coach could have won in Seattle this year with the injuries they've had. Listen to what Favre said, and look at the coaches he's developed.

Zool
12-19-2008, 08:58 AM
Overrated coach. Underrated Quarterback.

You're now calling Favre underrated?

sheepshead
12-19-2008, 09:04 AM
A little revisionism here. Holmgren was compared to Halas, Lombardi and Landry back in the day. He doesn't belong in the same breath with those guys. In fact, he thought he was so good, he could be GM too. Favres endorsement is the only thing I'll give him. Otherwise, the way he coached in SB 31 and the way he left here didnt show me the leadership and dignity that job requires.

Favre took a long time to get the recognition I though he deserved much earlier on. Lots of people wanted his head. Remember the cries for Brunnell for instance?