PDA

View Full Version : A-Rod = Jeff Garcia?

rbaloha1
12-19-2008, 10:37 AM
Great stats, pro bowls playoff victories but no super bowl wins.

Is this A-Rod's future? Your thoughts Packers Nation.

Zool
12-19-2008, 10:44 AM
I'll tell you in a decade.

MateoInMex
12-19-2008, 10:46 AM

Is this A-Rod's future? Your thoughts Packers Nation.

Well, A-Rod sounds cooler in interviews....everytime I hear or watch Jeff Garcia, the statement he made after a loss a few years back keeps playing in my head:

"My passes just didn't feel crissssssp"- was the subject of many sports talk radio banter for a while.

oregonpackfan
12-19-2008, 10:54 AM
I'll tell you in a decade.

I agree. It is just too early to determine. This is only A-Rod's first year as a starter.

Cheesehead Craig
12-19-2008, 11:05 AM
Let's just hope he gets as hot of a wife.

RashanGary
12-19-2008, 11:10 AM
ARod is kind of unique. Big arm. Mobile. Smart. Good leader. Hard worker. Good guy. It's hard to compare him to any one quarterback at this point in his career. Let's see how his anticipation and feel for the game develop. He has a lot of upside. The teams surrounding him are going to play a part in how he (and any other QB) is judged. I'd say his skills are similar to many quarterbacks.

Jeff Garcia
Rich Gannon
Steve Young
Joe Montana

He has as good of physical ability as any of these guys. How will his understanding and anticipation for the game develop? How good are the teams he plays on? There are several things that will play into whether he wins superbowls or not. You have to remember, even the great SB winners had top 5 defenses and good ST's to win it. It's not a one man game. Some of the guys who have never won one might have won 6 if they were on the same teams as another guy. Brett could have won 3 or zero if his teams would have been different. SB wins on one guy is just silly iMO.

KYPack
12-19-2008, 11:52 AM

I think he overcompensated when the rumors started that he was "sexually challenged".

wist43
12-19-2008, 12:15 PM
As I've said, Arod had been better than I could hvae imagined... but this system requires a HOF calibur QB, or at least an All-Pro calibur QB.

Arod will never be that, hence no SB's in our future... don't know who I'd compare him to though. Certainly not Montana or Young, that's ridiculous.

Partial
12-19-2008, 12:16 PM
ARod is kind of unique. Big arm. Mobile. Smart. Good leader. Hard worker. Good guy. It's hard to compare him to any one quarterback at this point in his career. Let's see how his anticipation and feel for the game develop. He has a lot of upside. The teams surrounding him are going to play a part in how he (and any other QB) is judged. I'd say his skills are similar to many quarterbacks.

Jeff Garcia
Rich Gannon
Steve Young
Joe Montana

He has as good of physical ability as any of these guys. How will his understanding and anticipation for the game develop? How good are the teams he plays on? There are several things that will play into whether he wins superbowls or not. You have to remember, even the great SB winners had top 5 defenses and good ST's to win it. It's not a one man game. Some of the guys who have never won one might have won 6 if they were on the same teams as another guy. Brett could have won 3 or zero if his teams would have been different. SB wins on one guy is just silly iMO.

That is just crazy talk. He is not like any of those guys.

Cheesehead Craig
12-19-2008, 12:19 PM

I think he overcompensated when the rumors started that he was "sexually challenged".
Oh if we could all overcompensate like that.

cpk1994
12-19-2008, 12:33 PM

Jeff Garcia
Rich Gannon
Steve Young
Joe Montana

You don't know that yet.

Guiness
12-19-2008, 12:47 PM

Jeff Garcia
Rich Gannon
Steve Young
Joe Montana

You don't know that yet.

I don't know how you can put all of those guys in a list...very different qb's, imo. Maybe some of the same traits at different points in their career?

He's mobile, and has shown a willingness to scramble and make the D watch for him, while not being a 'running' qb. Those are traits similar to Young.

I'm not sure how a Montana comparison comes about - Montana was thought to be weak armed, but with great awareness - almost the opposite of what we credit ARod with at this point.

Garcia I don't know enough about.

Gannon? He was in the league almost 10 years before he became a very good QB - and when he did well, it was in an almost pure West Coast offense (both before and after Gruden left Oakland). I'm not sure how he's like Rodgers at all.

SMACKTALKIE
12-19-2008, 01:02 PM

Jeff Garcia
Rich Gannon
Steve Young
Joe Montana

You don't know that yet.

Rodger's skills remind me of Jim Kelly. The whole record thing has yet to be determined.

Harlan Huckleby
12-19-2008, 01:16 PM
Great stats, pro bowls playoff victories but no super bowl wins. .

Rodgers will be the next Dan Marino. The greatest passer in history, yet falls short of a super bowl win, and is left to scrap together a living by pitching isotoner gloves.

I think it is easy to predict that any QB won't win a Super Bowl because most don't. Favre only got one. Just like Jeff Hostetler, Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson. Rex Grossman came closer to winning a Super Bowl than Marino.

sheepshead
12-19-2008, 01:22 PM
Steve Young

HarveyWallbangers
12-19-2008, 01:29 PM
I'd say his skills are similar to many quarterbacks.

Jeff Garcia
Rich Gannon
Steve Young
Joe Montana

I don't know how you can put all of those guys in a list

He said that Rodgers skills are similar to many different QBs. He didn't say these guys were all similar. He doesn't scramble as well as Young, but he's probably similar to Garcia. He's not as accurate as Montana, but he's probably similar to Gannon. When you add good arm strength and intelligence, there's a real nice foundation to work with.

Partial
12-19-2008, 01:34 PM

Jeff Garcia
Rich Gannon
Steve Young
Joe Montana

You don't know that yet.

Uhh.. ok? What exactly does he have in common with any of them?

Is he scrawny and noodle armed like Garcia? No.

Is he a dynamo scrambler like Young? Not really.

Is he a straight up winner in the Montana/Brady mold? Not really.

Gannon? I can't think of a distinct quality about Gannon.

Rodgers remind me of Favre. He plays in a very similiar manner, though he is still more conservative about it.

RashanGary
12-19-2008, 01:43 PM
Rodgers remind me of Favre. He plays in a very similiar manner, though he is still more conservative about it.

I don't see him like Favre much at all. Big arm and that is it.

RashanGary
12-19-2008, 01:51 PM
Steve Young

Yeah. Same stature. Maybe not quite as athletic as Young but probably has a stronger arm.

Tough to nail it down to just one guy. He's his own QB. Similar to many but still unique.

RashanGary
12-19-2008, 02:04 PM
One of my favorite things about Rodgers is his awareness. For a young QB he does impressively well under duress. He knows when to throw the ball away. He's always looking down field when he scrambles. He's good at making sure the snap is off on time, making checks at the line and being aware of down, distance and how much time is left in the game. He's been pretty good about waiting till the end to toss up picks rather than just chucking it around. His body language is generally confident and in charge. The game does not look too big for him at all. I'm a big fan.

For such a young guy, to have such a strong command of the game this early and to also have the really good physical skills, it makes me think we might have something special

As far as his most improved aspect, I think he's come a long way with his pocket presence. In the beginning of the year he would scramble quicker. Now he can get pressure off the edge, slide up and make a good throw. I don't know the stats, but it seems like he's taking less sacks now than he did earlier in the season. I think it's a combo of him growing as a QB and the interior line really starting to play well together.

Partial
12-19-2008, 02:19 PM
Awareness? What awareness? He lacks pocket presence.

RashanGary
12-19-2008, 02:20 PM
Arod is a lot of fun to watch. Very talented. Very composed. I'm proud of the young lad. Very impressive. He made the season fun, even with the shitty defense.

HarveyWallbangers
12-19-2008, 02:37 PM
He made the season fun, even with the shitty defense.

You know, he was the highlight of the season for me also. The next three things would be the emergence of Greg Jennings as a superstar, Nick Collins becoming the playmaker many of us thought he could become, and Charles Woodson continuing to play at an elite level.

Hopefully, finding a good, young QB will show its benefits in the very near future. We took a step back this year. With a high draft pick, an extra 2nd or 3rd round draft pick, money to sign our corps players, and a potentially easy schedule I see us bouncing back in a big way next year.

RashanGary
12-19-2008, 04:07 PM

You know, he was the highlight of the season for me also. The next three things would be the emergence of Greg Jennings as a superstar, Nick Collins becoming the playmaker many of us thought he could become, and Charles Woodson continuing to play at an elite level.

Hopefully, finding a good, young QB will show its benefits in the very near future. We took a step back this year. With a high draft pick, an extra 2nd or 3rd round draft pick, money to sign our corps players, and a potentially easy schedule I see us bouncing back in a big way next year.

Agreed, on all counts. I wasn't a big Arod backer. I had real doubts so I did a 180 after the season he had. It's been fun, even if it was a down year.

BallHawk
12-19-2008, 04:24 PM

Sounds like what Brett Favre would of been without Reggie White.

dissident94
12-19-2008, 06:08 PM

My bet is this board is full of young punk idiots.

God to even mention Rodgers with Young and Montana is jsut pure ridiculous.

And Farve at the same age was one of the most gifted Qbs in history.

Rodgers will never be in their category. It that is fine. But i really doubt in 15-20 years they will be talking about Rodgers much

He looks to be a decent NFL starter borderline probowler.

Bretsky
12-19-2008, 06:34 PM
For me he reminds me of a young Hasslebeck

HarveyWallbangers
12-19-2008, 09:01 PM

That's one that's been made, and I think it's fair. I actually think ARod has more upside because I think he has better arm strength. He's already more proficient than Matt on deep balls.

Cheesehead Craig
12-19-2008, 09:45 PM

And that's why I love hanging out with you watching the Pack. :D

Partial
12-20-2008, 04:30 AM

That's one that's been made, and I think it's fair. I actually think ARod has more upside because I think he has better arm strength. He's already more proficient than Matt on deep balls.

I agree that this is the best comparison. Hass and Rodgers both play a little bit like Favre with their pre-snap tendencies, etc. I think Hass has more pocket presence, though, but we'll see if that develops.

texaspackerbacker
12-20-2008, 08:00 AM
Garcia has always been a low potential/high achiever kind of guy. The same is pretty much true of Hasselbeck.

Rodgers has a lot more potential/raw talent. That certainly doesn't mean he will automatically be a superstar, but combined with the work ethic and the team around him, I think there's a good chance.

Why the negativity about Super Bowls? Rodgers stands a much better chance of getting there and winning than if he played for the great majority of other NFL teams. Anybody saying otherwise is dissing the team they supposedly are a fan of.

I wouldn't compare him to Steve Young. Young was a much better runner. Rodgers can get yardage by improvising, but Young was the kind of guy who was a threat to go all the way, and that running plays actually were called for. I do think Rodgers is a better passer, though, and hopefully, will have a longer career--not shortened by concussions gotten with all that running Young did.

At this point, I'd compare his likely future to Pastorini or Stabler.

packrat
12-20-2008, 08:20 AM
Fortunately he's young enough so that there is time to build a team around him. Despite Favre's glory years when he still had Reggie, through too much of the prime of his career he had crappy receivers and the defense couldn't stop 4th and 26. Rodgers future lies in the hands of the GM and if the GM doesn't hold up his end of the bargain Rodgers will still be young enough when he moves on that he can choose a team that gives him the support any quarterback needs. I predict a couple of superbowls in his future.

RashanGary
12-20-2008, 08:28 AM
His deep balls have been impressive. I don't know the numbers, it would be nice if one of the papers wrote something up, but it seems like his completion percentage downfield is better than it's ever been in Green Bay. When he bombs it, it seems like it almost always comes up caught. I remember so many overthrown, undertrhow, thrown into triple coverage, etc. This year it's bomb to open guy, perfect throw, catch.

GBRulz
12-20-2008, 05:35 PM
I thought A-Rod was busy with Madonna lately?

Partial
12-20-2008, 06:15 PM
I thought A-Rod was busy with Madonna lately?

If our A-Rod ever meets the status of the real A-Rod, we'd be incredibly lucky!

pbmax
12-20-2008, 08:10 PM
Physically he has better gifts than Hasselback and Garcia. Garcia is less than six feet tall, which explains his dancing in the pocket to create sight lines (stole that observation from Greg Cosell).

He has a long way to go to be Young, much less Montana. He actually has more Favre in him than I thought. His accuracy dip from the middle of the season on is worrisome, but he also had an injured shoulder and that likely changed his motion.

Its his first year starting. Pocket presence and reading defense will become second nature to him in year 3 and 4. Which is my kind way of reminding everyone that Favre took a big step backward in year two, trying to put everything all together. I am certain his pocket presence will improve.

RashanGary
12-20-2008, 09:51 PM
Jaws had some really positive things to say about Aaron. I think Jaws does a great job. He's one of my favorite football analysts.

Anyway, he said Rodgers arm is big time, his pocket presence is good and clearly has gotten better and also said his decision making is excellent for a young QB. Said he should be a good one for a long time.

Once we get a top 15 defense we'll be winning games. If we ever get a top 3 defense we'll have SB opportunities.

MJZiggy
12-20-2008, 11:26 PM
I was watching the Ravens D tonight. **Sigh....

BF4MVP
12-20-2008, 11:58 PM
Jaws had some really positive things to say about Aaron. I think Jaws does a great job. He's one of my favorite football analysts.

Anyway, he said Rodgers arm is big time, his pocket presence is good and clearly has gotten better and also said his decision making is excellent for a young QB. Said he should be a good one for a long time.

Once we get a top 15 defense we'll be winning games. If we ever get a top 3 defense we'll have SB opportunities.
His comments are summed up nicely in this article:

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20081220/PKR07/81220033/1058/PKR01&referrer=NEWSFRONTCAROUSEL

I like Jaws a lot too..He's probably my favorite NFL analyst.

bobblehead
12-21-2008, 12:56 AM

Since all I keep hearing is superbowl this and that tell me in honesty. If Arod wins 2 super bowls but his numbers are average will this crowd be willing to say he is better than favre?

SnakeLH2006
12-21-2008, 01:28 AM
TO called Garcia a homo in some interviews a few years ago, then he got married to the Playboy Playmate of the year who knocked some other chick out in a bar a year or two ago that tried messing with her man (good for Jeff yo)...

Definitely NSFW (beware):

http://tv.jubii.co.uk/video/iLyROoaftpGG.html

Sounds like TO is the gay one as usual. God I hate that loser....

Partial
12-21-2008, 01:43 AM

Since all I keep hearing is superbowl this and that tell me in honesty. If Arod wins 2 super bowls but his numbers are average will this crowd be willing to say he is better than favre?

He'll be a better winner. As for the above from BH, woulda shoulda coulda... impossible to know. Spectaculation like that is a big waste of time.

SnakeLH2006
12-21-2008, 01:52 AM

He'll be a better winner. As for the above from BH, woulda shoulda coulda... impossible to know. Spectaculation like that is a big waste of time.

Partial may be partial but Brett is the man....as our season went to the tank, I still enjoy the old bastard winning/watching his interviews postgame/etc.....wish it coulda been here but sobeit...

Fun to say as all QB stats have risen year by year as far as QB rating, but one thing is sure Favre is a winner (hard to put a finger on stats, when you get this sense he wins games no matter what 17/18 years without a losing record and winningest QB EVER should do it)...maybe ARod does it, maybe he wins 2 SB's or more, I'll be behind him, but Brett wins (and inspires his teammates no matter what)...he'll be like Jordan in NFL lore and mine/most others...dude is a top 10 NFL player EVER. End Post.

texaspackerbacker
12-21-2008, 08:53 AM
Fortunately he's young enough so that there is time to build a team around him. Despite Favre's glory years when he still had Reggie, through too much of the prime of his career he had crappy receivers and the defense couldn't stop 4th and 26. Rodgers future lies in the hands of the GM and if the GM doesn't hold up his end of the bargain Rodgers will still be young enough when he moves on that he can choose a team that gives him the support any quarterback needs. I predict a couple of superbowls in his future.

So much negativity--not only this post, but others too.

Before this injury-ruined season, it seemed like everything was in place around Rodgers--talent and depth all the way around, and he just had to step in and be adequate. Well, he's been more than adequate, but due to the injuries, due to other bad luck, and due to a few disappointing performances by others, it has been a lousy season.

Pretty much everything is still in place, though--or will be next season when the injured come back and we get a few minor add-ons.

All this talk about Rodgers having a great career, but no Super Bowls in Green Bay is just crap--disrespectful crap for the rest of the team. If Rodgers performs like he has--with normal continued development, the Super Bowls will certainly come. The injuries and other bad luck won't always go against us like this season.

rbaloha1
12-21-2008, 02:50 PM
Great feedback Packers Nation except for the snide gay stuff.

My point is if you review the west coast offenses which won super bowls they possessed HOF and future HOF qbs (Montana, Young, Elway, Favre)

West Coast qbs like Garica and Hasselback produce pro bowl stats but no super bowl victories.

Great defenses like the Ravens (Dilfer, qb), Bucaneers (Johnson, qb) and Steelers (Rothleisberger, qb) can win super bowls without HOF qbs.

More than likely the Packers will not have this type of dominating defense.

Therefore, is A-Rod capable of leading the Packers to a super bowl victory given prior west coast offense history and without a dominating defense?