PDA

View Full Version : Weather Cancelling High School Sports

oregonpackfan
12-20-2008, 10:12 AM
Like the midwest and northeast, a combination of snow and ice have hit the Pacific Northwest past week, though the amounts of snow here pale in comparison to the rest of the country. This past week, many schools were closed all 5 days.

This has also created havoc for high school sports. All of the games and most of the practices have been cancelled. This is also the time of year where some teams travel for holiday tournaments. Many of those tournaments have also been cancelled. Just think of reserving hotels, bus and plane tickets months in advance only to have the weather throw a huge wrench into the works!

Have high school sports been cancelled in your part of the country this week?

Preps: Practices also get canceled

Doug Binder, The Oregonian, December 20, 2008 1:57 a.m.

At Lakeridge, athletic director Ian Lamont and basketball coach Dave Nuss reworked one contingency after another to keep the school's tournament alive before every option reached a dead end and the event was canceled Friday morning.

"I have never disliked snow so much in my life," Lamont said.

The tournament was scheduled to start Wednesday. As late as Thursday afternoon, with two schools already pulled out, Nuss had devised a round-robin format that he thought could work. He e-mailed parents and volunteers about the schedule changes.

But then Camas (Wash.) pulled out because of its impending Friday school closure. And Friday morning, North Medford was getting ready to depart when officials there decided against participating.

"We were hoping to make it work," Nuss said. "(North Medford) wouldn't drive up. I can't blame them. The forecast doesn't look good for Saturday and Sunday."

The tournament was intended as a fundraiser for the Pacers basketball team and was expected to produce between $1,500 and $3,000. T-shirts were ordered for all of the players. Concession stands were stocked. A hospitality room was planned.

Post Falls (Idaho) was coming the farthest to play, and school officials there pleaded with Lamont early in the week to not let three inches of snow derail the tournament. But then Lamont got word that Post Falls was buried under 34 inches of snow and was shut down as well.

Tualatin, Benson and Southridge were also expected to participate. All eight teams have a three-game hole in their respective schedules.

The Portland Interscholastic League posted dozens of schedule revisions on its Web site Friday. Some of the activities scheduled for next Monday and Tuesday were canceled by Friday because of weekend forecasts calling for more snow.

Sheldon was scheduled to play at Jesuit in a matchup of top-10 girls teams Friday. Jesuit, a private school in Beaverton, was open Friday, but Eugene School District 4J was not. The game was called off.

"This is my 29th year, and we've never been out of school all week (because of weather)," Glencoe athletic director Scott Ellis said.

Team preparation suffers

Meeuwsen said his boys team has held 10 practices since the start of the season. The team has a game against Beaverton on Monday, weather permitting, but he's not sure whether he will be able to hold another practice before then.

School districts that close for the day usually shut down after-school activities as well. In Hillsboro and other places, school closures can mean that practices are canceled as well.

Meeuwsen said he couldn't organize a practice at a private gym or require his players meet somewhere because of the district's policy.

"As a coach you want to be with your kids," he said. "If you don't have practice, or a game, you have a job where you're not doing anything. It's very frustrating. But you have to see all the angles and you don't want to put (students) in situations that aren't safe."

As a result of the truncated schedule, Meeuwsen anticipated using simplified training between now and the start of Northwest Oregon Conference play in January.

"We may have wanted to put in different traps or presses by this or that date," he said. "Now we probably won't do that."

The next big push for athletic directors will be trying to find as many replacement dates on the calendar as possible, assuming they can find opponents and back-logged officials to make it work.

For that, everyone needs the snow to disappear.

"Hopefully this weather will break," said Mayo, the officials commissioner, "and we'll be able to get back into a normal flow."

Doug Binder: 503-221-8161; dougbinder@news.oregonian.com

packinpatland
12-20-2008, 11:00 AM
Does your school system allow for snow days? Or do the kids have to extend the year come spring?

digitaldean
12-20-2008, 11:42 AM
In my neck of the woods (NE Wisconsin), the kids get 3 days cushion for snow days. If they go over that, the school district has the option of cutting spring breaks or pushing the end of school farther into June.

All 3 of my kids go to parochial grade school/high school. The high school already has had 2 days and the grade school 1.

Five days in a row, I've never heard of. That has to be a nightmare for educators and athletic depts.

MJZiggy
12-20-2008, 12:34 PM
Wow, we get 5 around here. We've gotten 3 at once, but I don't remember 5.

GrnBay007
12-20-2008, 01:49 PM
Last year we had a record breaking amount of snow here (this year they are predicting more...and we are well on track for that :( ) They plan ahead for 5 snow days. Last year there were so many snow days they would have been going to school way into June, past the date they are legally allowed to. So for the last few months of the school year they ended up taking out the homeroom and extending the school day by 1/2 hr. essentially adding 1 hour of class time to each day to make up for the snow days. It all worked out, but I sure hope we don't go through that again this year.

MJZiggy
12-20-2008, 02:22 PM
That sounds like a mess...

GrnBay007
12-20-2008, 03:39 PM
It was a mess, but one I didn't mind too much. I had 1/2 extra I could work each day before picking them up from school. It worked out to be no weekend work for me for a few months.

Charles Woodson
12-20-2008, 04:40 PM
damn must be nice, had a tournament yesterday and today that we won but the temp was high 80's...
i think we get at least a week built in for hurricane days

oregonpackfan
12-20-2008, 10:35 PM
Does your school system allow for snow days? Or do the kids have to extend the year come spring?

Most school systems in our state allow for 3 snow/ice days. The schools have to make up the extra days and/or time. About 10 years ago, the school day was extended 15 minutes longer for an entire trimester to make up the lost days.

As I write this, Pacific Northwest is getting hammered with snow.