PDA

View Full Version : Holmgren Receives Award From Seahawks Players

oregonpackfan
12-20-2008, 10:27 AM
This short article appeared in today's Oregonian:

Everyone expected some sort of acknowledgement of Mike Holmgren's last home game as Seattle's head coach to come from his players.

This honor, however, caught Holmgren by surprise.

At the conclusion of practice Friday, quarterback Matt Hasselbeck presented Holmgren with the Steve Largent Award, an honor that's been reserved for Seahawks' players in the 20 years it's been awarded.

"It was very special," Holmgren said. "Steve Largent, I've admired forever and ever and ever, and it really is a player's award. It really is. But these guys never cease to amaze me sometimes. Just when I think I got them figured out, they do something real nice for me."

Most players said the idea simply popped up and was checked out with the team administration, which agreed.

"I think most of the players were excited to do it. He's earned our respect. It's obvious," Hasselbeck said. "I think I remember someone asking if it was allowed because it's for players and I think the response we got was 'we just count the votes.'"

The award is presented to the player who "best exemplifies the spirit, dedication and integrity of the Seahawks."

Bretsky
12-20-2008, 10:37 AM
Still a chance he ends up as the 49ers head coach; I wonder how they'd feel if that occurs

DonHutson
12-20-2008, 02:15 PM
The actual award was a silver cup full of smelling salts, to try to wake him up to pay attention to the last two weeks of the season.

I wish we had thought of that during the playoffs after '98.

:roll:

KYPack
12-20-2008, 02:19 PM
The actual award was a silver cup full of smelling salts, to try to wake him up to pay attention to the last two weeks of the season.

I wish we had thought of that during the playoffs after '98.

:roll:

If the SeaChickens would've beaten the Steelers in that Super Cheater Bowl, MH would be in the NFL HOF.

Now, he'll be lucky to get a handful of votes.

Holmy's OK, but I am sick of him.

Badgerinmaine
12-22-2008, 12:24 PM
Classy move by the team. I've never stopped being a Holmgren fan.