PDA

View Full Version : Detroit Reporter crosses the line

Brando19
12-21-2008, 08:51 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/12/21/post-game-ugliness-in-motown/

This guy has no class. I think it's funny the Lions are winless (knock on wood for next week), but this reporter had no right asking that question.

gbpackfan
12-21-2008, 09:58 PM
I just watched the video. Rob Parker is lucky Coach M didn't climb over the podium and kick his ass. What a prick. It takes a real man to kick someone when their down! Cheap shot mother fucker!

channtheman
12-21-2008, 11:32 PM
Wow, what an asshole. Those guys on The OT put him in his place though.

Partial
12-22-2008, 01:06 AM
Classless. Marinelli is a good coach. We'd be lucky to have him at DC here, but he's going to go to Tampa if I were a betting man.

KYPack
12-22-2008, 08:04 AM
Actually, Marinelli outta slip that guy some cash.

After the miserable failure this season was, Parker made Marinelli into a sympathetic person.

Rob Marinelli IS a very solid defensive coach, but he lost sight of an imortant talent the head man has to have. You have to keep a few assholes, blend 'em in with your good guys and come up with 11 solid guys on any unit.

Marinelli ran off all the jerks, got his kind of guys, and "his guys" didn't have much talent. The result will hopefully be the worst season in NFL history.

I say hopefully, cause if we lose to this bunch next week, our season will go down in Packer infamy.

Patler
12-22-2008, 08:27 AM
To add some context to the situation, here is the reporter's explanation in today's paper:

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20081222/OPINION03/812220369/1343/SPORTS0101

Guiness
12-22-2008, 12:44 PM
Interesting Patler - as always, context is important.

National idiots take an event in isolation, and run with it - a political football, if you like. They have no idea what's actually going on locally, and have no business sticking their nose into it.

swede
12-22-2008, 01:01 PM
Interesting Patler - as always, context is important.

National idiots take an event in isolation, and run with it - a political football, if you like. They have no idea what's actually going on locally, and have no business sticking their nose into it.

If it's football, they may make it their business if they want to, and if they are good journalists they will make a good attempt to understand the local context.

What I learned was...

a) Marinelli hired his son-in-law as DC. You'd better be really, really, REALLY sure that that was the right thing to do before you did it.

b) Parker's idea of what's funny and when it's funny is arguably poor.

Gunakor
12-22-2008, 02:20 PM
His comment might have recieved a different response had it been made during a stand up routine at a comedy club rather than a Q&A session at a press conference. There's nothing humorous about 0-15, and I'm not sure how welcome comedy would be at a press conference following a team's 15th straight loss...

Here's something you should learn Mr. Parker if you are going to make another attempt at comedy. 90% of comedy is timing and delivery. That was poor timing, and a horrible delivery. You should work on that before making another attempt at humor, especially in front of a camera.

gbpackfan
12-22-2008, 03:19 PM
Watch the tape of the press conference at profootballtalk.com. It wasn't a joke. It wasn't humor. It was an asshole being an asshole.

Any time someone makes a complete jerk out of themselves, they always say one of two things.

1. "It was a joke!"

2. "I have friends that are black, I'm not racist."

Rastak
12-22-2008, 03:26 PM
Watch the tape of the press conference at profootballtalk.com. It wasn't a joke. It wasn't humor. It was an asshole being an asshole.

Any time someone makes a complete jerk out of themselves, they always say one of two things.

1. "It was a joke!"

2. "I have friends that are black, I'm not racist."

You got that right gbpack. Joke my ass. He was NOT joking around. He's lucky he didn't get his ass kicked on the spot.

I heard someone on this site once say something deplorable and when they indicated it was a joke I asked which was the funny part and got no answer back.

Fritz
12-22-2008, 05:25 PM
His comment might have recieved a different response had it been made during a stand up routine at a comedy club rather than a Q&A session at a press conference. There's nothing humorous about 0-15, and I'm not sure how welcome comedy would be at a press conference following a team's 15th straight loss...

Here's something you should learn Mr. Parker if you are going to make another attempt at comedy. 90% of comedy is timing and delivery. That was poor timing, and a horrible delivery. You should work on that before making another attempt at humor, especially in front of a camera.

No, you're right. He really doesn't have an awful relationship with Marinelli - it's almost an act between them - but Parker has no sense of timing here.

Rastak
12-22-2008, 05:28 PM

No, you're right. He really doesn't have an awful relationship with Marinelli - it's almost an act between them - but Parker has no sense of timing here.

Hey Fritz, you buying it was some kind of joke? There seemed to be no humor at all in that voice.

Fritz
12-22-2008, 06:19 PM
Heard the replay of it, Ras. Been reading Parker for years, too. I do think that he thought he was trying to bring some levity. But his sense of timing was way bad. I think the guy believe he and Marinelli have a good act going, and I don't think Parker realized he'd crossed a line.

It was a dumb move on his part.