PDA

View Full Version : AJ Hawk considered by many - Best player in the 2006 class.

woodbuck27
07-03-2006, 11:50 AM
I just discovered (this dated article) today and thought it would be worth pasing along to y'all.

Hawk soars LB considered by many to be best player in '06 draft

By: Don Banks > Inside the NFL

At some point, the NFL draft morphed into an all-out debate, a cacophony of voices and opinions. This year the topics that dominated the discussion were Reggie Bush versus Matt Leinart, and later Mario Williams, in the battle for the No. 1 pick; Leinart versus Vince Young in a clash of quarterbacking styles; and the NFL viability of Jay Cutler, given his meager win-loss record as a collegiate starter.

All of those topics made for fascinating dissection, but as the league's two-day rookie job-fair extravaganza prepares to kick off in New York City on Saturday, have we overlooked the most obvious question of all? Who's the best pure football player with the highest probability of being a great professional?

In interviewing league personnel men, coaches and executives for the past two months, I've heard one name mentioned more than others, and it might surprise you. It's not Bush, as gifted a game-breaking talent as he is. It's not Williams, Leinart, Young or Cutler, all of whom have at least one or two significant question marks attached to their scouting reports.

It's Ohio State linebacker A.J. Hawk, who has inspired nary a negative word in the months-long predraft screening process. Cleveland Browns general manager Phil Savage, one of the more respected personnel evaluators in the league, labeled Hawk "the safest pick in the draft.'' New Orleans general manager Mickey Loomis, whose Saints have strongly considered taking Hawk with the No. 2 pick, said his personnel men believe Hawk is the best linebacker prospect since Junior Seau was the No. 5 pick in 1990 by San Diego.

And a handful of team officials have told me that Hawk is the one player in this year's draft who's guaranteed to start, and make an impact, immediately. I don't know about you, but I haven't heard that level of certainty about any other prospect in this year's draft, including Bush, who is considered a once-in-a-generation talent at running back.

People have questioned whether Bush can make enough of an impact with 15 to 20 touches a game. Williams, for most of his college career, wasn't even the best defensive end at N.C. State, and he has yet to show consistent production over an entire season. Some personnel men theorize that Leinart benefited greatly from the talented USC offensive system and that he's already as good as he's ever going to be. And Cutler has some mechanical issues and bad habits that even his staunchest supporters acknowledge will have to be worked out early in his pro career.

But Hawk, who most agree will be taken at No. 5 by Green Bay, is talked about within league circles as the obvious Defensive Rookie of the Year-in-waiting, a can't-miss talent in a first-round pool that always carries as much risk as reward.

"He is the real thing,'' Browns head coach and former Patriots defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel said of Hawk. "He's a playmaker. He runs all over the place, and he runs to the ball. He's got some size, some speed, some production. I like all those things.''

The Packers are desperate for playmakers and leadership on defense, and that's why Hawk figures to be a no-brainer if he's available at No. 5. Green Bay's belief is that Hawk will walk in the door and instantly help change the mentality on defense.

"I'd like to come in and see what I can do in the NFL and try to make an impact,'' Hawk said. "[Linebacker] is a position where a lot of times they say they don't want to draft people too high because they think, How much impact can a linebacker have? But guys like Shawne Merriman and Lofa Tatupu had huge years [as rookies last year].

"The linebacker position ... with all the defenses they're playing, and with the offenses you have to face -- one week you're facing a spread offense and the next week a team is trying to pound the ball on you. You have to be able to do a little bit of everything.''

Hawk does a little bit of everything and he does it all well. He can play any linebacker position in a 3-4 or 4-3 alignment. Some scouts see him as the ideal inside linebacker in a 3-4, while others suggest he would be best used as the weakside linebacker in a 4-3, chasing the ball from sideline to sideline.

At 6-foot-1, 248 pounds, Hawk has the size to shed NFL blockers and get heavily involved in run defense and jamming a hole at the line of scrimmage. But he's also quick enough (he ran a 4.45 in the 40 at Ohio State's pro day) to drop into coverage and blanket a potential receiver or chase down a quarterback on the blitz. You won't see Hawk coming off the field in certain situations, and that only adds to his value in the eyes of league personnel evaluators.

San Diego's Merriman and Seattle's Tatupu were impact rookies at linebacker last season, with Merriman becoming the fifth player at that position in the past six years to earn the league's Defensive Rookie of the Year award. Merriman went 11th overall to the Chargers and Tatupu was taken by the Seahawks in the second round. Linebackers may not be selected as high these days as they once were, but Hawk will be an exception. The last top-five linebacker was LaVar Arrington in 2000, who went No. 2 to Washington out of Penn State.

"It's understandable,'' Hawk said. "Obviously we're not big defensive ends, who are going to get 15 to 18 sacks a year. We're not going to be a running back, who's going to rush for 1,500 yards. [Linebacker] is a spot where there's three or four of them on the field. I guess you can justify not taking [linebackers] too high. But all I want is a chance, regardless of where I'm taken.''

Hawk is going to get his chance. And though he won't have a No. 1 next to his name on Saturday, that doesn't mean he's not the guy many NFL scouts seem to think of first when it comes to a sure bet.

woodbuck27
07-03-2006, 12:05 PM
Instant impact
Eight draft prospects ready to produce right away

By: Don Banks > Inside The NFL

Two weeks before the draft, almost everyone looks like a potential impact player. But history tells us that the reality will be far different come fall. Few rookies will truly help turn their teams' fortunes in 2006. For every Shawne Merriman, Lofa Tatupu, Carnell Williams or Kyle Orton, there will be a bevy of disappointments like Cedric Benson, Braylon Edwards, Troy Williamson and J.J. Arrington.

Who are the collegiate prospects best positioned to make their presence felt right away? We talked to league personnel men, coaches and even last year's NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year, the Chargers' Merriman, to try to identify this year's Shawne Merriman. Here are the elite eight:

• Vernon Davis, tight end, Maryland: It's no surprise that the first name out of Merriman's mouth was that of Davis, his former Terrapins teammate and the talk of this year's NFL Scouting Combine thanks to his freakish workout.

"I know his work ethic, and that's going to help him separate himself in the NFL,'' Merriman told SI.com this week. "In this league as a rookie, everything gets thrown at you very fast, but it's how much time you're willing to put in and learn that gets you ahead of the curve. Vernon will do what it takes to be a difference maker.''

Size, speed and athleticism are Davis' calling cards, and his skills conjure up comparisons to Antonio Gates and Tony Gonzalez. But at least one club personnel man I talked to sounded a cautionary tone regarding Davis, who likely won't make it past No. 6 (San Francisco).

"He'll be productive in the passing game right away,'' the personnel man said, "because he's so athletically gifted. But he's a bit one-dimensional. He's going to be a train wreck if anyone has to rely on him as a blocker. He's not good at it and has no interest in it. If he has to stay in as a blocker, he's going to be a problem.''

Then again, if Davis finds the end zone enough times, chances are his new team will forgive deficiencies in his blocking.

• Ernie Sims, linebacker, Florida State: Sims has risen steadily in first-round projections this offseason, and he's now considered a top 15 pick. The team that gets him will have one of the early favorites for defensive rookie of the year, because Sims will roll up the kind of statistics that garner votes in that particular horse race.

"People love his speed, range and athleticism,'' a longtime personnel man said. "He's going to get you seven or eight tackles a game and make some big plays. That's how Merriman and Tatupu did it last year. They made you notice them by being around the ball so much.''

Said Merriman of Sims: "He's already got an NFL-style game. He gets to the ball and he's a relentless player. To make a play when it's coming right at you is pretty easy. But a guy like him can go sideline to sideline and make plays all over the field. That's what NFL teams want, a guy who gets to the ball.''

• Laurence Maroney, running back, Minnesota: First off, our apologies to USC's Reggie Bush, whose impact potential is so obvious it seems redundant to even point it out at this late date. But after Bush goes No. 1 overall to Houston, which first-round running back has the best chance to pay early dividends? Folks I talked to like Maroney, who is thought of as either the third- or fourth-highest-rated ballcarrier in this year's draft.

"I think he's going to be a shocker to a lot of people,'' Merriman said. "I think he'll come out and perform right away. He reminds me a whole lot of Edgerrin James. He's a complete back who can do a little bit of everything and get it done for you.''

One personnel man said he has Maroney ranked only behind Bush in terms of NFL readiness and adds that there are doubters out there when it comes to DeAngelo Williams' and LenDale White's ability to quickly adjust to the mental demands of the pro game.

• Mario Williams, defensive end, North Carolina State: A slam-dunk top-four pick in the draft? That's no guarantee of production, as Chicago's Cedric Benson (No. 4 overall) proved once again last year. Still, Williams figures to be the first defensive player taken for good reason. He's got the kind of pass-rushing skills that a team can get something out of right away, even while he continues to work the rough edges off his game.

"Mario Williams is going to be a hell of a football player,'' said a personnel man. "I don't know if he's polished enough, but he's raw enough to get on the field as a rookie, and he's raw enough to make plays in the NFL this season and for a long time after that.''

Save the Julius Peppers comparisons for now. The talent evaluators I talked to don't necessarily buy that one, saying Williams' and Peppers' body types aren't as similar as some believe. But nobody quibbles with the notion that Williams has a skill set that could help him produce double-digit sack totals as a rookie.

"For a while last year, that's all I had to play on, my athleticism and my talent,'' said Merriman, who led all 2005 rookies with 10 sacks. "And that carried me along until I learned my playbook and my assignments better. He's such a physical specimen that he'll make some plays on sheer athleticism.''

• Joseph Addai, running back, LSU: Most people have Addai going early in the second round. But if the other four higher-rated running backs are gone by the time the Colts pick at number 30 in the first round, don't be shocked to hear them call Addai's name.

"He's a perfect fit for the Colts' offense,'' said a personnel man. "He's got speed, he can block, catch passes out of the backfield and he can help you some in the return game. He's an all-purpose guy. He's kind of intriguing.''

Addai opened eyes when he clocked a 4.4 in the 40-yard dash at the combine, and his value in relation to his pick projection is considered high. Of course, last year at this time we were saying the same thing about Cal's ultra-productive running back J.J. Arrington, and he wound up being a second-round flop in Arizona.

• A.J. Hawk, linebacker, Ohio State: Between Merriman, Seattle's Tatupu, Cincinnati's Odell Thuman, Dallas' DeMarcus Ware and Kansas City's Derrick Johnson, a host of productive linebackers were selected in the first two rounds of last year's draft. Will this year's crop of Hawk, Sims, Iowa's Chad Greenway, Ohio State's Bobby Carpenter and Florida State's Kamerion Wimbley (a 3-4 linebacker/defensive end type) be as impactful? League talent evaluators don't seem to have any reservations about Hawk, who won't last past the top five.

"He's going to be really productive right away, because he'll be on the field a lot,'' said a personnel man. "He'll play that weakside position and he'll fly around and be around the ball and get in the middle of a lot of plays. He could have strong numbers, because the team that takes him is going to need him on the field right away. And he's smart enough that he'll be able to be out there from Day One for you.''

• Sinorice Moss, receiver/return man, Miami: This one comes with a caveat: The Hurricanes' mighty mite has to go to a team that knows how to use his versatile package of skills in order for him to make a splash as a rookie. Are you paying attention, Pittsburgh at number 32?

"The Steelers would know how to use that guy,'' said a veteran personnel man. "They're one of the teams that could get a lot out of Moss right away, using him in that Antwaan Randle El role. If he goes somewhere like that, where he'll catch the ball, help you in the return game and they'll find creative ways to get him the ball, he could make an impact this year.''

But any hopes he has of becoming the difference-maker that his older brother, Santana, was in Washington last season starts with staying healthy. Which he was not always able to do at Miami.

"From a talent standpoint, yes, this guy has some tremendous talent and could make an impact for you,'' a personnel man said. "But is he ever going to make it to the field? He's hurt every spring, and he's hurt every season. He always has a problem of some sort. He couldn't even run this spring because he was injured. He's a difference-making talent, but he hasn't been able to stay on the field in the fall or even in spring ball.''

• Manny Lawson, defensive end, North Carolina State: Before his teammate and fellow Wolfpack end Mario Williams kicked it into a higher gear in the second half of last season, Lawson was considered the better playmaker. And as we get closer to the draft, Lawson's stock as a pass-rushing talent is rising, with some believing he could crack the bottom of the first round.

At 6-5, 245 pounds, Lawson may be a candidate to play 3-4 linebacker, because he gets overmatched at times against huge offensive tackles. But he's got a burst off the edge, and there is a team out there that will find a way to use him, either with his hand on the ground or otherwise.

"I can see him being one of those 4-3 ends who comes off the edge just flying after the quarterback,'' said Merriman, whose Maryland teams competed against Lawson in the ACC. "He's fast. And they could use him like a KGB in Green Bay or a Robert Mathis in Indianapolis, one of those situational rushers who create havoc.''