PDA

View Full Version : Fire Mike McCarthy

channtheman
12-22-2008, 11:02 PM
I know this won't happen so it means nothing, but MM has got to be the most conservative piece of shit play caller I have ever seen in the NFL. The entire second half was just one terrible half of play calling. He doesn't trust his QB to get the win and it is just obvious. This is why Favre left. Favre didn't want to play under a no balls piece of shit guy. MM played to win on a FG that both me and my dad knew would be blocked. We both called it and just knew. MM did this in the Tennessee game and the Minnesota game but he just doesn't learn.

Also he doesn't teach his players to MOVE UP when the punter isn't punting the ball so far. Each and every punt the ball bounced before Blackmon was near it. It caused a muff as well as shitty returns all night. MM is the problem on this team because instead of doing what is working when you have the ball up 7 with 7 minutes to play, he thinks it would be a good idea to run 3 times in a row. I don't know if Favre changed plays last year but I have to assume he went to the huddle and said "Fuck you MM, we play to win. Not to not lose." Favre changed plays and Rodgers doesn't. But MM shouldn't be calling such a stupid ass second half when throwing the ball is working. Rodgers can't win a fucking game at the end because MM takes it out of his hands and hopes the field goal will win it. MM plays everything by the books and it is so obvious what he will always do. IMO, we will not win a SB until MM goes.

Bossman641
12-22-2008, 11:06 PM
37 yards is a chip shot FG for Crosby 99% of the time. You don't pass when you have the opportunity to give the other team the ball down 3 with 20 seconds left.

RashanGary
12-22-2008, 11:07 PM
I know this won't happen so it means nothing, but MM has got to be the most conservative piece of shit play caller I have ever seen in the NFL. The entire second half was just one terrible half of play calling. He doesn't trust his QB to get the win and it is just obvious. This is why Favre left. Favre didn't want to play under a no balls piece of shit guy. MM played to win on a FG that both me and my dad knew would be blocked. We both called it and just knew. MM did this in the Tennessee game and the Minnesota game but he just doesn't learn.

Also he doesn't teach his players to MOVE UP when the punter isn't punting the ball so far. Each and every punt the ball bounced before Blackmon was near it. It caused a muff as well as shitty returns all night. MM is the problem on this team because instead of doing what is working when you have the ball up 7 with 7 minutes to play, he thinks it would be a good idea to run 3 times in a row. I don't know if Favre changed plays last year but I have to assume he went to the huddle and said "Fuck you MM, we play to win. Not to not lose." Favre changed plays and Rodgers doesn't. But MM shouldn't be calling such a stupid ass second half when throwing the ball is working. Rodgers can't win a fucking game at the end because MM takes it out of his hands and hopes the field goal will win it. MM plays everything by the books and it is so obvious what he will always do. IMO, we will not win a SB until MM goes.

HE's been coaching all year like he has a great defense. He went into the season with the mentality that the defense was going to win games and week after week he never adjusted. Honestly, I think it's the mentality that it takes to win championships. Champion teams are not over reliant on the QB, but fuck, just because we're not a championship team doesn't mean we have to lose every game. My biggest problems with MM.

1. CAlling time outs at the end of hte half when the other team has the ball, hoping for a punt. All we do is buy the other team time to get a bigger lead because our defense can not stop any offense in the NFL

2. Taking the ball out of Aaron's hand when the game is on the line.

channtheman
12-22-2008, 11:07 PM
37 yards is a chip shot FG for Crosby 99% of the time. You don't pass when you have the opportunity to give the other team the ball down 3 with 20 seconds left.

That's exactly my point. MM does exactly what he is supposed to do and it gets you no where. A few weeks ago the Colts were in a 4th and 1 situation and did they run? NO! They play actioned for 30 yards and kicked a game winning field goal. MM should have play actioned on 3rd down but he is a chicken shit pussy. Where did playing by the books get him? A loss.

channtheman
12-22-2008, 11:09 PM

HE's been coaching all year like he has a great defense. He went into the season with the mentality that the defense was going to win games and week after week he never adjusted. Honestly, I think it's the mentality that it takes to win championships. Champion teams are not over reliant on the QB, but fuck, just because we're not a championship team doesn't mean we have to lose every game. My biggest problems with MM.

1. CAlling time outs at the end of hte half when the other team has the ball, hoping for a punt. All we do is buy the other team time to get a bigger lead

2. Taking the ball out of Aaron's hand when the game is on the line.

I completely agree. A coach like MM will only be successful with an amazing defense because than he can go out there with 7 minutes and sit on the ball like a pussy and run it 3 times. Then his all pro defense can go stop them and we win by scoring only 14 points a week.

VegasPackFan
12-22-2008, 11:10 PM
There is a huge disparity in the play calling reliance on Arod from the 1st half to the 2nd half of these games we have lost. pLus our D cant stop shit when it is needed. Massive penalty problems. I am seriously considering getting on this band wagon.

gbgary
12-22-2008, 11:11 PM
:roll: (see sig)

channtheman
12-22-2008, 11:11 PM
:roll: :roll:

Nice contribution

RashanGary
12-22-2008, 11:12 PM
Yep. MM coaches martyball. I never realized it, but he does.

Sometimes, when teams know you want to run the clock out and they have to stop you to get a chacne, it's best to step on the throat. All year he has not stepped on the throat. All year.

gbgary
12-22-2008, 11:13 PM

Nice contribution

i've been calling for the head of MM for a couple of weeks now. what's your problem?

imscott72
Mike Holmgren's available.. :D

channtheman
There is a huge disparity in the play calling reliance on Arod from the 1st half to the 2nd half of these games we have lost. pLus our D cant stop shit when it is needed. Massive penalty problems. I am seriously considering getting on this band wagon.

You're right. Immediately after Rodgers threw a 20 yard pass on 1st and 10 with 7 minutes to go, MM stops throwing downfield. The next 2 plays were runs from the 50, which left us at 3rd and 13 and then MM calls a pass that would even get the first down. Why does he take it away from Rodgers after Rodgers has proven he can throw it?

Bretsky
12-22-2008, 11:14 PM

Best coach I've witnessed in charge of GB

HarveyWallbangers
12-22-2008, 11:14 PM
Ummm... no. Part of this season is just pure dumb luck. McCarthy has had a bad year (should have challenged that terrible spot on 4th down tonight), but he'll get two more years.

channtheman
12-22-2008, 11:15 PM

Nice contribution

i've been calling for the head of MM for a couple of weeks now.

Oh, I thought you were rolling eyes because I brought it up. :oops:

I've been thinking about his bad play calling but just tonight I've realized that he hasn't changed at all. He makes the same mistakes over and over and over and over again that it is just maddening.

mission
12-22-2008, 11:15 PM
Fire him.

MadtownPacker
12-22-2008, 11:16 PM
Ummm... no. Part of this season is just pure dumb luck. McCarthy has had a bad year (should have challenged that terrible spot on 4th down tonight), but he'll get two more years.OK Tex Jr.

He gets next year and if it is a repeat of this one fire his ass by week 10.

RashanGary
12-22-2008, 11:16 PM
I guess I'd rather not win if we don't have the defense to win, but fuck, does our coach really have to take that attitude when we're actually playing the fucking game? Really, it's like he doesn't want to win unless it's by way of the defense and running game. What the fuck.

channtheman
12-22-2008, 11:17 PM
Ummm... no. Part of this season is just pure dumb luck. McCarthy has had a bad year (should have challenged that terrible spot on 4th down tonight), but he'll get two more years.

I don't know why we should keep him when he doesn't show any signs of changing how he does things. He thinks he can sit on a lead and they will win. He almost lost us the fucking 2nd game of the season. We were up 21 - 3 in that game and his conservative ass pussy play calling in the 2nd half let the Lions take the lead. If it isn't for Woodson and Collins taking 2 to the house we probably lose that game too.

Bossman641
12-22-2008, 11:18 PM
Sorry but I just cannot agree with this line of thinking. Say you pass on 3rd down and don't complete the pass. You're left with a FG and the Bears have 0:55 left on the clock.

You run the clock, kick the FG, and give the Bears 20 seconds to get in FG range.

This whole season is fucked up. Blocked FG's. Shit special teams. Everything that can go wrong has. Unbelievable.

HarveyWallbangers
12-22-2008, 11:18 PM
Last year, we had a solid DL, we made our game winning FG attempts, didn't have bad calls at bad times (how many bad calls are we going to get?), and we won the OT coin tosses.

digitaldean
12-22-2008, 11:20 PM
Last year, we had a solid DL, we made our game winning FG attempts, and we won the OT tosses.

And our defense came up with a stop to force a FG (Denver) or a pick (SD) to help close out games.

This year, you'd make a crapload betting against our D and special teams when they needed to make a stop at the end.

channtheman
12-22-2008, 11:20 PM
Sorry but I just cannot agree with this line of thinking. Say you pass on 3rd down and don't complete the pass. You're left with a FG and the Bears have 0:55 left on the clock.

You run the clock, kick the FG, and give the Bears 20 seconds to get in FG range.

This whole season is fucked up. Blocked FG's. Shit special teams. Everything that can go wrong has. Unbelievable.

You can't think like that. That is the whole reason that MM does what he does. "What if the pass isn't complete?" is what MM thinks. What you have to think is, "Damn, the Bears KNOW we will run on 3rd down. Why don't we play action and get the first down and maybe the TD." Why the fuck with 2 minutes left is he relying on the field goal?

RashanGary
12-22-2008, 11:21 PM
Last year, we had a solid DL, we made our game winning FG attempts, and we won the OT tosses.

Yep.

It seems really bad right now, but this season has been a season of really, really bad breaks.

This is a big fucking year for Ted and Mike though. Another year of this would NOT be acceptable.

channtheman
12-22-2008, 11:22 PM
I just looked at the poll. How do that many people think MM doesn't get conservative with a lead? Did you watch the second half? How about week 2 at the Lions for a really good example where we actually gave up a 21-3 lead? What is your logic?

channtheman
12-22-2008, 11:23 PM

Yep.

It seems really bad right now, but this season has been a season of really, really bad breaks.

This is a big fucking year for Ted and Mike though. Another year of this would NOT be acceptable.

I guess it sucks because we will probably have to endure another year of this. We were good enough this year to finish better than 5-11 (yes, we'll lose to the fucking Lions) but MM got conservative with leads EVERY SINGLE TIME it was like that. And we lost almost every one of those games.

retailguy
12-22-2008, 11:25 PM

Yep.

I thought Ted was the greatest thing since sliced wheat bread?

I don't understand. Don't you just still gotta believe? :wink:

th87
12-22-2008, 11:26 PM

Yep.

I guess it sucks because we will probably have to endure another year of this. We were good enough this year to finish better than 5-11 (yes, we'll lose to the fucking Lions) but MM got conservative with leads EVERY SINGLE TIME it was like that. And we lost almost every one of those games.

Yeah, just like you and your dad, I knew what was going to happen. I was so pissed that they got all pussified and played not to lose. When the FG got blocked, I couldn't help but just smirk, because it was so unbelievably predictable.

channtheman
12-22-2008, 11:27 PM

Yep.

I think it's MM more than it's TT, at this point.

channtheman
12-22-2008, 11:29 PM

Yep.

Yeah, just like you and your dad, I knew what was going to happen. I was so pissed that they got all pussified and played not to lose. When the FG got blocked, I couldn't help but just smirk, because it was so unbelievably predictable.

I did laugh a little because I just knew but really I'm pissed off. MM fucked this season over and hopefully he doesn't do it again. I know he will be here though because NFC championship guarantees you 2 more years. blah blah blah.

retailguy
12-22-2008, 11:30 PM

Yep.

So then, what do you say to all the talking heads in here, who've been touting that Ted hired "his guy" to do it "his way". If this is "his way", well then.....

You don't let the top guy off the hook. He gets the glory, he gets the blame. McCarthy is a BIG problem, but not the only one. WHO is leading this locker room? Most of the leaders are GONE. We've got a few, but precious few.

THERE ARE MANY PROBLEMS WITH THIS TEAM.

RashanGary

You'll be seeing my mea culpa if this happens next year. I still think Ted knows football and knows how to build a team, but it's time for the results to show. All of the slack is gone. He's had plenty of time to build this thing up and now it has to show.

esoxx

Yep.

TT hired MM. It starts at the top. The clock is ticking.

Bossman641
12-22-2008, 11:31 PM
Is the poll whether MM should be fired or whether he is too conservative with the lead?

I agree he is too conservative.

th87
12-22-2008, 11:32 PM
I'd always worried that MM has Marty Schottenheimer roots, but the Seattle playoff game put that to rest. But now it's back again. So many games lost the same way. It almost happened against Minnesota in week one.

channtheman

Yep.

So then, what do you say to all the talking heads in here, who've been touting that Ted hired "his guy" to do it "his way". If this is "his way", well then.....

You don't let the top guy off the hook. He gets the glory, he gets the blame. McCarthy is a BIG problem, but not the only one. WHO is leading this locker room? Most of the leaders are GONE. We've got a few, but precious few.

I see your point. I've liked, for the most part, how TT has drafted but he has done very little in FA that is of encouragement. IF MM is the guy and TT is dead set on that, fuck it and fire both of them. I'm not ready to accept mediocrity and MM and TT better not think we are either.

RashanGary

To me, this team is no where near as bad as the 2005 team. I did not have any hope for that team.

This team has a lot of guys just entering their primes. We have a damn good 25 year old QB that should be around for a long time. We have a lot of good things going, but it's time to put it together. The base is laid and it's time to produce.

Iron Mike
12-22-2008, 11:33 PM
This was the same story two years ago:
http://uwmpost.com/article/51/15/1655-For-McCarthy-it-may-not-be-fun

Where's the "Pittsburgh Toughness" that M3 was hired based upon??? :roll:

channtheman
12-22-2008, 11:34 PM
Is the poll whether MM should be fired or whether he is too conservative with the lead?

I agree he is too conservative.

I can see how that is misleading with the Topic title being what you think that the poll is for. The poll is for him being too conservative.

channtheman
12-22-2008, 11:36 PM
This was the same story two years ago:
http://uwmpost.com/article/51/15/1655-For-McCarthy-it-may-not-be-fun

Where's the "Pittsburgh Toughness" that M3 was hired based upon??? :roll:

I have no clue but yeah MM, not for long.

superfan
12-22-2008, 11:46 PM
I voted yes to the poll question, which has nothing to do with the thread title of "Fire Mike McCarthy".

McCarthy should NOT be fired. This has been a tough season with an absurd amount of misfortune. Last year McCarthy coached a 13-3 team that made it to the NFC Championship team. That team had more than its share of good fortune, this year the pendulum has swung in the opposite direction.

Firing the head coach means starting over with a new regime. This team has been a bounce/call/play away from winning at least half of the games they have lost. It would be stupid to start over with a new head coach. That is what loser franchises do, the ones that can't ever dig their way up from the bottom. They think the next head coach will be the next savior, and it almost never is. Reference Steve Mariucci, Rod Marinelli, Romeo Crennel, Marvin Lewis, Herm Edwards. In the college ranks, Charlie Weis, Rich Rodriguez and Bill Callahan come to mind. Switch to basketball and you get Kelvin Sampson to name one, I'm sure there are countless others who have failed to turn their team around.

If you fire the head coach, you are already putting yourself in a negative position going in to next year, as first year coaches rarely succeed, or even equal the win total from the previous season. Usually takes that coach several seasons just to equal the win totals of their predecessors.

And if you are going to suggest firing the head coach, at least suggest some alternatives. Who would be a better option for the Packers than McCarthy at this point? If Vince Lombardi was the head coach, would the punt not have hit Bush in the leg? Would Crosby make the game winning FG rather than have it blocked?

channtheman
12-22-2008, 11:50 PM
I voted yes to the poll question, which has nothing to do with the thread title of "Fire Mike McCarthy".

McCarthy should NOT be fired. This has been a tough season with an absurd amount of misfortune. Last year McCarthy coached a 13-3 team that made it to the NFC Championship team. That team had more than its share of good fortune, this year the pendulum has swung in the opposite direction.

Firing the head coach means starting over with a new regime. This team has been a bounce/call/play away from winning at least half of the games they have lost. It would be stupid to start over with a new head coach. That is what loser franchises do, the ones that can't ever dig their way up from the bottom. They think the next head coach will be the next savior, and it almost never is. Reference Steve Mariucci, Rod Marinelli, Romeo Crennel, Marvin Lewis, Herm Edwards. In the college ranks, Charlie Weis, Rich Rodriguez and Bill Callahan come to mind. Switch to basketball and you get Kelvin Sampson to name one, I'm sure there are countless others who have failed to turn their team around.

If you fire the head coach, you are already putting yourself in a negative position going in to next year, as first year coaches rarely succeed, or even equal the win total from the previous season. Usually takes that coach several seasons just to equal the win totals of their predecessors.

And if you are going to suggest firing the head coach, at least suggest some alternatives. Who would be a better option for the Packers than McCarthy at this point? If Vince Lombardi was the head coach, would the punt not have hit Bush in the leg? Would Crosby make the game winning FG rather than have it blocked?

Yeah it had more to do with what I started talking about in the original post. Sorry if that offended and/or annoyed you so much.

If Lombardi is the coach he has already told his player to move up 10 yards on the punts because the previous one before had bounced as well. If Blackmon moves up, Bush is in front of him, and the ball either goes over Blackmon's head or Blackmon catches it. The ball doesn't hit Bush in the leg.

Lombardi would not have been a pussy and settled on the field goal. He would have not run 3 times when everyone knew you were going to. It comes down to the coach and MM isn't getting the job done one way or another.

Gunakor
12-22-2008, 11:52 PM

Lombardi would not have been a pussy and settled on the field goal. He would have not run 3 times when everyone knew you were going to. It comes down to the coach and MM isn't getting the job done one way or another.

Umm, according to archived interviews with Jerry Kramer, yes he would have. The opponent just wouldn't have stopped it.

channtheman
12-22-2008, 11:54 PM

Umm, according to archived interviews with Jerry Kramer, yes he would have. The opponent just wouldn't have stopped it.

I should have added "when we suck ass at running" to the end of that. Basically I meant Lombardi would not have settled for the field goal.

GrnBay007
12-23-2008, 12:00 AM
I don't know if Favre changed plays last year but I have to assume he went to the huddle and said "Fuck you MM, we play to win. Not to not lose." Favre changed plays and Rodgers doesn't. But MM shouldn't be calling such a stupid ass second half when throwing the ball is working. Rodgers can't win a fucking game at the end because MM takes it out of his hands and hopes the field goal will win it. MM plays everything by the books and it is so obvious what he will always do. IMO, we will not win a SB until MM goes.

Maybe Favre did go in and change plays last year. Maybe that was all the more reason TT and MM were happy to let him go. So they decide Rodgers takes over. Major division of the fan base due to this decision. (obviously) They want Rodgers to control the game and not go out and try to put the game on his shoulders to win it....therefore limiting him. MM plays by his book...and the book is not winning games, sorry. Their game plan for this season did NOT work. I'm rooting for Rodgers, unlike what one particular dick poster has accused me of. Rodgers is a good QB. They should have allowed him to go out and win games. I believe they played the QB position conservatively this season due to the events that took place during the off season with Favre. I believe they did it to save face with Packer fans more than to win games. They wanted to put Rodgers out there and control the game and not throw interceptions and they thought that would be enough to win the division.

I think they game planned this whole season on making their decision look right, rather than to win games!!

So yeah, I do blame the GM and the HC. They should have made their decision and then made a plan to win games with their QB. IMO Rodgers wasn't given not only the chances he deserved this season, but also that he was very capable of.

And from what I was told by a GB native that lives near MM he's grown to be a part of a GB click....something they've never seen a GB coach do...at least to their knowledge pre-Holdgrem years.

superfan
12-23-2008, 12:03 AM
Yeah it had more to do with what I started talking about in the original post. Sorry if that offended and/or annoyed you so much.

None of my original post was directed to you or your post, channtheman. That has just been building up for the last few weeks, and I don't post much anymore, just needed to let it all out.

If Lombardi is the coach he has already told his player to move up 10 yards on the punts because the previous one before had bounced as well. If Blackmon moves up, Bush is in front of him, and the ball either goes over Blackmon's head or Blackmon catches it. The ball doesn't hit Bush in the leg.

Maybe Lombardi would have done those things, maybe he wouldn't have. That is pure conjecture. My point is that no coach is perfect, and IMO starting over at the coaching position at this point would do more harm than good. If you disagree, that's fine, we can agree to disagree. I will stand by my opinion that the current coaching staff (except maybe the DC and special teams coach) are capable of succeeding with this team. If there are reports that McCarthy has lost the players, then I will start entertaining the notion that he should be let go.

Bossman641
12-23-2008, 12:06 AM
I don't know if Favre changed plays last year but I have to assume he went to the huddle and said "Fuck you MM, we play to win. Not to not lose." Favre changed plays and Rodgers doesn't. But MM shouldn't be calling such a stupid ass second half when throwing the ball is working. Rodgers can't win a fucking game at the end because MM takes it out of his hands and hopes the field goal will win it. MM plays everything by the books and it is so obvious what he will always do. IMO, we will not win a SB until MM goes.

Maybe Favre did go in and change plays last year. Maybe that was all the more reason TT and MM were happy to let him go. So they decide Rodgers takes over. Major division of the fan base due to this decision. (obviously) They want Rodgers to control the game and not go out and try to put the game on his shoulders to win it....therefore limiting him. MM plays by his book...and the book is not winning games, sorry. Their game plan for this season did NOT work. I'm rooting for Rodgers, unlike what one particular dick poster has accused me of. Rodgers is a good QB. They should have allowed him to go out and win games. I believe they played the QB position conservatively this season due to the events that took place during the off season with Favre. I believe they did it to save face with Packer fans more than to win games. They wanted to put Rodgers out there and control the game and not throw interceptions and they thought that would be enough to win the division.
I think they game planned this whole season on making their decision look right, rather than to win games!!
So yeah, I do blame the GM and the HC. They should have made their decision and then made a plan to win games with their QB. IMO Rodgers wasn't given not only the chances he deserved this season, but also that he was very capable of.

And from what I was told by a GB native that lives near MM he's grown to be a part of a GB click....something they've never seen a GB coach do...at least to their knowledge pre-Holdgrem years.

I'm sorry but this is 100% garbage and I find it very difficult to even begin believing.

And maybe Favre took a shit in MM's shoes and pissed in TT's coffee and that's why they wanted him gone. :roll:

Let me clarify here. I don't disagree that MM didn't expect to have to count on Rodgers to come in and lead the game-winning drive every week. The foundation of this team was supposed to be the defense and special teams, with a ball control offense that relied on short passing and the running game.

I do disaagree with your point that TT and MM have been more concerned with Rodgers' stats and making him look good then winning games. That's how I took your post. If I comprehended it incorrectly I apologize.

superfan
12-23-2008, 12:09 AM
Interesting post, GB007. I can understand your sentiment, although I disagree with some of it. Mostly I think the defense has let this team down more than the offense, regardless of some mistakes on the offensive side. I'm curious about this statement:

What exactly is a "GB click"? Are you referring to special treatment for some players, or something to do with the city itself?

oregonpackfan
12-23-2008, 12:12 AM

Even better than Vince Lombardi!? :shock:

TravisWilliams23
12-23-2008, 12:18 AM
The play calling is very confusing.

At times he does very good: 2nd QTR 4th and 2 fake punt call from Chi 37 yard line. Leads to TD pass to Jennings.

4th QTR 4th and 1 call on Wynn 4 yard run to the 5. But then instead of
keeping Wynn in and ramming it in, he decides to pass-incomplete,QB sneak-5 yard loss, and it puts him in a 3rd goal from the 10.

I just seems like this year whenever anything could go bad it did.
Crosby hit that last FG attempt too low. That's not on MM. Your kicker
has to make that kick.

Normally I'd be really pissed after a game like this but this years team
has me expecting bad stuff to happen every game. I'm used to it!

Bretsky
12-23-2008, 12:19 AM

Even better than Vince Lombardi!? :shock:

I'm not that old

Bossman641
12-23-2008, 12:22 AM
The play calling is very confusing.

At times he does very good: 2nd QTR 4th and 2 fake punt call from Chi 37 yard line. Leads to TD pass to Jennings.

4th QTR 4th and 1 call on Wynn 4 yard run to the 5. But then instead of
keeping Wynn in and ramming it in, he decides to pass-incomplete,QB sneak-5 yard loss, and it puts him in a 3rd goal from the 10.

I just seems like this year whenever anything could go bad it did.
Crosby hit that last FG attempt too low. That's not on MM. Your kicker
has to make that kick.

Normally I'd be really pissed after a game like this but this years team
has me expecting bad stuff to happen every game. I'm used to it!

QB scramble was a very stupid call. Incredibly stupid. Soon as they came out in 5 wide I told my brother I hated the formation.

Qb scrambles work when the DE's are moving up the field, creating lanes. Bear DE's and DT's were bull-rushing the whole time. I have no clue what MM saw to lead him to believe that would work.

GrnBay007
12-23-2008, 12:25 AM
I do disaagree with your point that TT and MM have been more concerned with Rodgers' stats and making him look good then winning games. That's how I took your post. If I comprehended it incorrectly I apologize.

I didn't say anything about Rodgers stats. I could care less about stats if the team is winning. I don't care if it's Rodgers, Favre or bozo the clown......we just want wins! I think they wanted to portray a different kind of QB...one that would manage the game and not take matters into his own hands....re: Favre. I think there have been times this season that Rodgers could have done more and was held back due to the play calling.

superfan
12-23-2008, 12:29 AM
QB scramble was a very stupid call. Incredibly stupid. Soon as they came out in 5 wide I told my brother I hated the formation.

Qb scrambles work when the DE's are moving up the field, creating lanes. Bear DE's and DT's were bull-rushing the whole time. I have no clue what MM saw to lead him to believe that would work.

I hated the formation, but loved the call. So many times we have gone empty backfield in the redzone, when I think we should at least leave one back in there so the defense has to respect the run.

As you said, DE and DT are bullrushing up the field. That is normally an opportune time to run the sneak up the gut, which should be open as the entire DL penetrates upfield. Which is why I initially liked the call. Unfortunately, the line offered nothing in terms of interior blocking, and the play was blown up from the get go.

Partial
12-23-2008, 12:29 AM
And some of you guys say that I'm off my rocker...

No way should MM be fired. Guy has shown that he can lead a team to success. This year he has to call games conservatively because he doesn't have stud QB, and he started the year with a banged up RB.

The defensive staff has got to go; not MM.

GrnBay007
12-23-2008, 12:32 AM
What exactly is a "GB click"? Are you referring to special treatment for some players, or something to do with the city itself?

Nope, had nothing to do with the team. Just that MM was/is big time involved with a circle of friends that evolved due to his marriage. The comments made were that they had not seen a GB coach get so involved in a local group/click before. It may mean nothing at all.

Bretsky
12-23-2008, 12:33 AM

Nope, had nothing to do with the team. Just that MM was/is big time involved with a circle of friends that evolved due to his marriage. The comments made were that they had not seen a GB coach get so involved in a local group/click before. It may mean nothing at all.

Even the best of guys get dragged down by the evil chicks :lol: :lol: :wink:

Gunakor
12-23-2008, 12:33 AM

No way should MM be fired. Guy has shown that he can lead a team to success. This year he has to call games conservatively because he doesn't have stud QB, and he started the year with a banged up RB.

100% agreed.

Bretsky
12-23-2008, 12:34 AM

100% agreed.

100% agree as well

Bossman641
12-23-2008, 12:41 AM

I didn't say anything about Rodgers stats. I could care less about stats if the team is winning. I don't care if it's Rodgers, Favre or bozo the clown......we just want wins! I think they wanted to portray a different kind of QB...one that would manage the game and not take matters into his own hands....re: Favre. I think there have been times this season that Rodgers could have done more and was held back due to the play calling.

I see. My mistake. This is the sentence that got me.

"I think they game planned this whole season on making their decision look right, rather than to win games!! "

My bad

GrnBay007
12-23-2008, 12:49 AM

Ha Ha
B--> :butt:

Well, in all honesty it probably was not a good decision. He married someone that has children with someone with big time GB ties...and had a child with her. Coaches move around a lot in the NFL. So what will happen if MM has to move to a new city to hang on to his career? She will have to decide between her children with daddy #1 or her marriage and daddy #2. Daddy #1 ain't letting his kids move away....no way.

superfan
12-23-2008, 12:51 AM

It's all clear now, he is in the same knitting club as TT. :D

Thanks for the clarification.

GrnBay007
12-23-2008, 12:54 AM

It's all clear now, he is in the same knitting club as TT. :D

Thanks for the clarification.

No, MM's not into that younger crowd. :P

cpk1994
12-23-2008, 06:38 AM

That's exactly my point. MM does exactly what he is supposed to do and it gets you no where. A few weeks ago the Colts were in a 4th and 1 situation and did they run? NO! They play actioned for 30 yards and kicked a game winning field goal. MM should have play actioned on 3rd down but he is a chicken shit pussy. Where did playing by the books get him? A loss.But if McCarthy called a play action and missed, you would be bitching to high heaven that he didn't run the ball. Works both ways.

SkinBasket
12-23-2008, 07:19 AM
Calling for the head of McCarthy one year removed from 13-3 when it's the defense that's failed this team time and time again makes no sense. You give him a new defensive staff, of his choosing this time, and two years.

A lesser coach would have lost this team weeks ago, but the entire team is playing just as hard as they were in the first month of the season.

I also think it's foolish to pick one or two plays out of the entire game as examples of how bad McCarthy's play calling is while ignoring the rest of the game, which went reasonably well (325 yds, 2 passing TDs, 2/2 on 4th down, 8/17 on 3rd, +8 min TOP) considering the weather. Some of you fellas have been playing Madden a bit too much I think and actually believe you're great head coaches.

RashanGary
12-23-2008, 07:40 AM
Calling for the head of McCarthy one year removed from 13-3 when it's the defense that's failed this team time and time again makes no sense. You give him a new defensive staff, of his choosing this time, and two years.

A lesser coach would have lost this team weeks ago, but the entire team is playing just as hard as they were in the first month of the season.

I also think it's foolish to pick one or two plays out of the entire game as examples of how bad McCarthy's play calling is while ignoring the rest of the game, which went reasonably well (325 yds, 2 passing TDs, 2/2 on 4th down, 8/17 on 3rd, +8 min TOP) considering the weather. Some of you fellas have been playing Madden a bit too much I think and actually believe you're great head coaches.

Good post. However, I do think he takes it out of Rodgers hands at the biggest moments and gets predictable when the game is tight. Overall, he's a damn good playcaller but he's been playing conservatively at the end of games. He's been playing like he can rely on the running game and defense to cement wins. If we actually had one or both of those things he'd be racking up wins. It's probably the smartest way to call the game if you have a good, tough team. The problem is, the only really good unit we have is the offense and it's lead by the passing attack. It's not tough, championship football but it's the only way we're going to get a couple wins right now and he goes away from it when it's time to finish.

Pugger
12-23-2008, 08:12 AM
I had no problem with MM using up the clock and have Crosby kick a potential game winning FG and leave 20 seconds on the clock for Chicago to play with. Unfortunately the bares illegally bull rushed our long snapper and got penatration and blocked it. Check this thread for a photo of the blocked FG attempt:

http://packersnews.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2815

SkinBasket
12-23-2008, 08:15 AM

Good post. However, I do think he takes it out of Rodgers hands at the biggest moments and gets predictable when the game is tight. Overall, he's a damn good playcaller but he's been playing conservatively at the end of games. He's been playing like he can rely on the running game and defense to cement wins. If we actually had one or both of those things he'd be racking up wins. It's probably the smartest way to call the game if you have a good, tough team. The problem is, the only really good unit we have is the offense and it's lead by the passing attack. It's not tough, championship football but it's the only way we're going to get a couple wins right now and he goes away from it when it's time to finish.

By the same token, if he moves away from what you see as a conservative approach, we become just as predictable - just in a different way. McCarthy's coached this team into the position to win in almost every game and oftentimes, the Packers have looked like the better team in these close loses. We simply find a way to fail at key moments in very specific (though varied) facets of games - most of the time on the defensive side and ST, which has been really quite frustrating. Weather it's allowing the big return in the last 5 minutes, causing but not recovering 3 or 4 fumbles, penalties, blocked kicks, or questionable officiating to our detriment, it seems this team picks one thing to suck at at critical times and in just enough portion to lose the game.

I simply don't see a system wide failure that calls for the elimination of a coach that went 13-3 last year and has at least put the team in the position to win almost every game this season save these pretty specific failures. Look around the league. Finding capable coaches and GMs is not as easy as just picking one out and slapping a headset on them. If we want to look like Detroit or KC or SF, then maybe we should start cycling through coaches and GMs. Or we could accept this season's been at least a little fucked up, acknowledge that every franchise is going to have a down year here and there, and hope the team addresses the much more specific problems this team has - which in my opinion means a new defensive staff, maybe a new ST coach, and the immediate release of one Mr. Jarrett Lee Bush.

Ballboy
12-23-2008, 08:45 AM
I think MM had this plan before the season started. He is NOT going to put Rodgers in a situation to fail given that it is his first year as NFL QB. That is why this whole mess with Rogers being 0-8 in close games means nothing, simply because MM isn't giving him the opportunity to do anything.

MM must think that this is building Rogers confidence....not sure how when he isn't winning games, but he is playing good....even well at times.

imscott72
12-23-2008, 09:11 AM

Ha Ha
B--> :butt:

Well, in all honesty it probably was not a good decision. He married someone that has children with someone with big time GB ties...and had a child with her. Coaches move around a lot in the NFL. So what will happen if MM has to move to a new city to hang on to his career? She will have to decide between her children with daddy #1 or her marriage and daddy #2. Daddy #1 ain't letting his kids move away....no way.

I'm not sure what this has to do with MM coaching the team. Coaches do have lives outside of football. Totally irrelevant imo..

Bossman641
12-23-2008, 09:59 AM
I had no problem with MM using up the clock and have Crosby kick a potential game winning FG and leave 20 seconds on the clock for Chicago to play with. Unfortunately the bares illegally bull rushed our long snapper and got penatration and blocked it. Check this thread for a photo of the blocked FG attempt:

http://packersnews.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2815

You know I wondered about this as well. Plus, on the first missed FG attempt it looked like Urlacher jumped off the back of one of the DL in front of him. I distinctly remember getting called for that shit last year.

Pugger
12-23-2008, 10:35 AM
I did a little digging and I found this in an article on the NY times site. Check the rule about half way down the page:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/30/sports/football/30nfl.html?_r=1