PDA

View Full Version : Why SHOULD McCarthy Stay?

BallHawk
12-23-2008, 12:08 AM
Rather than have threads that focus on Mike's negatives and why he should be fired, how about a thread where those who think he should stay give reasons why he should stay?

NOTE: I think Mike should stay.

But after you, Rats.

Bretsky
12-23-2008, 12:09 AM
Because he has no other options after this season and makes around
4,000,000 per year if my memory serves me right ?

VegasPackFan
12-23-2008, 12:09 AM
SHUT YOUR GUB

dabootski
12-23-2008, 12:10 AM
because we went to the NFC championship under him last year.

BallHawk
12-23-2008, 12:12 AM
SHUT YOUR GUB

Hi.

Bretsky
12-23-2008, 12:13 AM
How about because we have the Best GM in the NFC NORTH ???

channtheman
Because he can be aggressive in the first half and then lose a game in the second half by doing nothing. Oh why should he stay? I guess like someone just said he took us to the Championship game. I would like to know what real reasons are though. He doesn't have the confidence that he needs to have in Rodgers for us to be successful and I think that is apparent.

red
because we went 13-3......

LAST YEAR

and honestly, thats all i can think of

Gunakor
12-23-2008, 12:16 AM
I think he should be given one more year, but I'd start warming up the hot seat for him if he doesn't turn things around. But I'd give him some better help next year. Mike's an offensive guy. In order to be effective as a HC, he needs a quality defensive guy as his DC. And that new DC is gonna need another horse or two on the DL, which is where Ted Thompson comes in. There's a lot more wrong with this team right now than McCarthy, so I can't see firing him after one poor season.

th87
12-23-2008, 12:18 AM
Because he develops QBs like nobody's business.

Just give him offseason surgery to remove his vagina, and he should be good as new.

channtheman
I think he should be given one more year, but I'd start warming up the hot seat for him if he doesn't turn things around. But I'd give him some better help next year. Mike's an offensive guy. In order to be effective as a HC, he needs a quality defensive guy as his DC. And that new DC is gonna need another horse or two on the DL, which is where Ted Thompson comes in. There's a lot more wrong with this team right now than McCarthy, so I can't see firing him after one poor season.

Why did we ever get rid of Grady Jackson?

channtheman
Because he develops QBs like nobody's business.

Just give him offseason surgery to remove his vagina, and he should be good as new.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That was funny! I needed a good laugh tonight!

Bretsky

I'm still OK with MM; too many other problems to focus on first

superfan
12-23-2008, 12:20 AM
For me, this is an easy decision, based on a few reasons:

1. Continuity - look at the bottom feeder teams in the NFL. They are always cycling through coaches, and never get anywhere. You can't build a program if you don't give a guy a chance to succeed.

2. Circumstances of this season - I know an argument can be made for McCarthy being directly accountable for the losses (for example, the Bears game tonight - he should have challenged the spot on the 4th and 1 play late), but losing so many close games to me is a sign of a team on the brink of success. Maybe I'm too much of an optimist.

3. Past Success - He led an 8-8 team the previous season to a 13-3 record and an NFC championship birth. My opinion is that last year's team outperformed expectations (with the exception of the game that really mattered - the championship game), which tells me that maybe he did an exceptional job last season, and is capable of doing so again next year.

4. Who else is available? - I believe the typical fan is too quick to call for the head of a coach without considering the alternatives. If somebody can convince me an available coach is better than McCarthy, I will listen to the argument, but too often we hear "FIRE THE COACH" without mention of a suitable alternative.

esoxx
12-23-2008, 12:23 AM
Incriminating photographs? :?:

Bossman641
12-23-2008, 12:24 AM
He has a house in GB.

channtheman
12-23-2008, 12:24 AM

1. Continuity - look at the bottom feeder teams in the NFL. They are always cycling through coaches, and never get anywhere. You can't build a program if you don't give a guy a chance to succeed.

2. Circumstances of this season - I know an argument can be made for McCarthy being directly accountable for the losses (for example, the Bears game tonight - he should have challenged the spot on the 4th and 1 play late), but losing so many close games to me is a sign of a team on the brink of success. Maybe I'm too much of an optimist.

3. Past Success - He led an 8-8 team the previous season to a 13-3 record and an NFC championship birth. My opinion is that last year's team outperformed expectations (with the exception of the game that really mattered - the championship game), which tells me that maybe he did an exceptional job last season, and is capable of doing so again next year.

4. Who else is available? - I believe the typical fan is too quick to call for the head of a coach without considering the alternatives. If somebody can convince me an available coach is better than McCarthy, I will listen to the argument, but too often we hear "FIRE THE COACH" without mention of a suitable alternative.

You have good points and I suppose it makes sense to give him one more shot. I just needed to calm down. Now all we need to do is get a really good defense that can hold on to a lead when MM turns conservative in the 2nd half.

I've just got one question for you. What happens if we lose to the Lions? I imagine all hell breaks loose!

digitaldean
12-23-2008, 12:28 AM
If he loses to Detroit, I think that's the result most fans would consider inexcusable. Most of the last second losses have been vs. playoff caliber teams. But if we lose to an 0-15 team, there may be a lot of people that may want him gone.

Having an off year, it can happen. But to totally collapse, which is what a loss to Detroit would signify, would mean M3 has lost that team.

If they beat Detroit, I could give him 1 more year to get things fixed. But if we repeat this year in 2009, he'll be gone by midseason.

Gunakor
12-23-2008, 12:28 AM

You have good points and I suppose it makes sense to give him one more shot. I just needed to calm down. Now all we need to do is get a really good defense that can hold on to a lead when MM turns conservative in the 2nd half.

I've just got one question for you. What happens if we lose to the Lions? I imagine all hell breaks loose!

Detroit doesn't win at Lambeau. Ever. Why is everyone so worried that this 0-15 Lions team is going to be the first to win a game at Lambeau in ages? I'm not worried in the least.

Yes, all hell would break loose if Green Bay lost to THIS Lions team at Lambeau.

BallHawk
12-23-2008, 12:29 AM

Exactly. Unless there are any coaches out there that have taken teams to Super Bowls it isn't even worth discussing getting a new coach. Does anybody seriously believe that some team's OC or DC is better for this team than Mike?

Partial
12-23-2008, 12:30 AM
Because he's one of the best coaches in the league? He coaches to the players that he has. Obviously he cannot run and gun it without a stud QB, and especially not when their back was injured to start the year.

Defensive staff has gotta go. MM is a good coach imo.

Bretsky
12-23-2008, 12:32 AM

Exactly. Unless there are any coaches out there that have taken teams to Super Bowls it isn't even worth discussing getting a new coach. Does anybody seriously believe that some team's OC or DC is better for this team than Mike?

And what if there are ?

I can think of three in broadcasting without even thinking about it further

And I'd bet one will be back next year and one within three years

Partial
12-23-2008, 12:35 AM

And what if there are ?

Who besides Cowher?

superfan
12-23-2008, 12:36 AM

I agree with you here and with digitaldean in his following post - if we lose to the Lions, then MM has likely lost the team and all bets are off.

I suppose I am enough of an MM apologist to say that it depends on the manner in which the loss were to happen - if it were a game that I feel he "coached" properly but we lost due to execution, then I might give him a pass. But that scenario is difficult to envision. Then again, we have already envisioned many scenarios this year that are difficult to envision.

Gunakor
12-23-2008, 12:36 AM

And what if there are ?

Who besides Cowher?

Jimmy Johnson and John Madden are the only ones I can think of next to Cowher off the top of my head...

Bretsky
12-23-2008, 12:38 AM

And what if there are ?

Who besides Cowher?

BILL COWHER
JIMMY JOHNSON
BRIAN BILLICK

BallHawk
12-23-2008, 12:39 AM
And what if there are ?

Analyze the situation. Does the coach have the will to coach? Does the coach wanna coach in Green Bay? Does the coach's style fit our team? Etc.

Holmgren and Cowher are not realistic options, at this point.

BallHawk
12-23-2008, 12:40 AM
BRIAN BILLICK

I'm a big Billick fan, but the stars have to allign (or not allign, depending on how you look at it) for anything like this to even be considered.

It starts with next season.

Bretsky
12-23-2008, 12:41 AM
And what if there are ?

Analyze the situation. Does the coach have the will to coach? Does the coach wanna coach in Green Bay? Does the coach's style fit our team? Etc.

Holmgren and Cowher are not realistic options, at this point.

I forgot Holmy

I think Billick will be coaching soon

I think MM should stay

digitaldean
12-23-2008, 12:42 AM
I can't see Holmy or the Jaw here. Both want GM type of power along with their HC duties.

Partial
12-23-2008, 12:42 AM
I'm a big 'eh' to Billick. He was an offensive guy who couldn't ever get an offense in Baltimore, and was able to do alright annually because of hitting the jackpot in Lewis and Reed, both in the lower end of round 1.

VegasPackFan
12-23-2008, 12:43 AM
I would take the D coordinator for the NYG's - look what he has done with the challenges he faced this year.

Bill Cowher for sure.

Garrett from the Cowboys would be good.

MM could still work out if he stops being a pussy - he is young and has upside, but I am pissed at him right now.

Where is Jim Bates at this time?

How about Dick Lebow (sp?) from the Steelers.

Gunakor
12-23-2008, 12:43 AM

And what if there are ?

Who besides Cowher?

BILL COWHER
JIMMY JOHNSON
BRIAN BILLICK

Ah, forgot about Billick.

Gunakor
12-23-2008, 12:46 AM
I would take the D coordinator for the NYG's - look what he has done with the challenges he faced this year.

Bill Cowher for sure.

MM could still work out if he stops being a pussy - he is young and has upside, but I am pissed at him right now.

I don't want Garrett. We don't have mammoth 350 pound linemen to work with like he has in Dallas. We aren't really built to run the offense they run in Dallas.

I don't want Bates, because then nothing changes. Bob Sanders = Jim Bates.

Jim Johnson from the Eagles maybe? That's worth considering IMO...

superfan
12-23-2008, 12:46 AM
Funny how these threads go - we go from "Why Should we keep McCarthy?" to "Which (if any) HOF coach would we consider over McCarthy?" (paraphrasing)

:roll: :D

I support keeping McCarthy at least one more year, but you have to consider Cowher if he were available. Not big on Billick or Jimmy J. I've always liked Fisher at TENN and Fox at CAR and think GB should look at these guys if they were to become available (they won't anytime soon now). A couple years ago, after a down year, I was hoping Fisher would get fired in Tennessee so GB could bring him in. Sounds like an obvious statement now based on his success this season.

th87
12-23-2008, 12:48 AM
Billick? The offensive mastermind that couldn't create an offense worth a damn?

This guy rode Randy Moss' coattails to a coaching job.

Bossman641
12-23-2008, 12:50 AM

Bill Cowher for sure.

Spanuolo - maybe

Cowher - yea

Garrett - no

Lebeau - no (too old)

Jim Johnson - no (too old)

VegasPackFan
12-23-2008, 12:59 AM

Bill Cowher for sure.

Spanuolo - maybe

Cowher - yea

Garrett - no

Lebeau - no (too old)

Jim Johnson - no (too old)

Lebeau and Johnson both bring an aggressive, "kill or be killed" style to their leadership and play calling. Exactly what I think would match to the TT philosophy of a young and hungry team. The combo could work. You want to challenge your young players to go out there and dominate and put it all on the line.

cpk1994
12-23-2008, 06:28 AM
Running a D in Denver that is even worse than GB.

Badgerinmaine
12-23-2008, 08:17 AM
Dick LeBeau is a great defensive coach, but he was 12-33 in his lone head coaching stop in Cincinnati.

Pugger
12-23-2008, 08:36 AM
I say give MM one more year. Yeah, I know we lost last night but I'm gonna give the coaching staff kudos for having this team ready to play last night when they had nothing to play for, frankly. Rodgers looked sharp in the cold - he was tossing it to receivers all over the place. He wasn't perfect. That one INT was tipped but he did have one pass in the end zone to Driver and he was lucky the bares didn't pick it off. But mostly AR had a nice game and drove the team into FG range for the win but it got blocked by the bares. Driver showed a lot of grit again. Somebody besides Kampy got sacks and Woodson and Collins got picks for the first time in weeks. Even Grant had some nice runs - when the line gave him a place to run. Often other teams playing out the string will just go thru the motions but the fellas came out with some fire but goofy things happened again in Chicago... :?

Fritz
12-23-2008, 11:23 AM
history, too. This is a young team, remember. They clearly don't know how to put a game away. Nor did Holmgren's early teams, who though they often went 9 - 7 blew several games, including once early on in which all they needed to do was to win against an inferior team, thus going 10-6 and getting into the playoffs. But they lost that game.

It'd be stupid to fire MM after this season. However, because of the debacle of this season, the heat is turned up on next year.

VegasPackFan
12-23-2008, 11:43 AM
Dick LeBeau is a great defensive coach, but he was 12-33 in his lone head coaching stop in Cincinnati.

That was being made captain of a sinking ship. They dont even have a scouting staff there, and no real GM either. Two completely different organizations.

MJZiggy
12-23-2008, 06:41 PM
I'm with Pugger here. It was a "meaningless" game that the guys might have just rolled over in, but they still come out with fire. And we've been in every game this season--it's not like guys are just mailing it in and it's not like we're getting owned every week.

I've always thought McCarthy was a good coach. I'd love to see him use some of that creativity we see early in the game in the third quarter, but other than that, I think he's fine.

Cheesehead Craig
12-23-2008, 07:33 PM
Billick? The offensive mastermind that couldn't create an offense worth a damn?

This guy rode Randy Moss' coattails to a coaching job.
Word. Don't want any part of him.