PDA

View Full Version : The 0 for 7 stat

HarveyWallbangers
12-23-2008, 01:59 PM
Anybody else get a kick out of that stat last night. Apparently, Rodgers doesn't get credit for leading the Packers on a scoring drive to take the lead with under 2 minutes left against Carolina because the defense gave up the lead.

Also, convenient for their "angle" how they picked 5 minutes left in the game. Rodgers had four other games (besides Carolina) this year where the offense scored to tie the game or take the lead with between 5-6 minutes left in the game.

Took the lead with 5:17 left against Detroit
Tied the game with 5:30 left against Tennessee
Took the lead with 1:57 left against Carolina
Tied the game with 5:56 left against Houston
Took the lead with 5:35 left against Jacksonville

Also, Mason Crosby cost him two game winning drives in the 4th quarter after Rodgers had gotten them within FG range (albeit on a lucky play vs. Minnesota). It's not his fault they threw the ball to get within FG range, McCarthy chose not to make even one throw after that, and then Crosby missed the FG.

MacCool606
12-23-2008, 02:01 PM
I agree - it's tough to engineer a comeback when the coach takes the ball out of your hands. Does he have the clearance to audible?

digitaldean
12-23-2008, 02:02 PM

Nice post, Harv. These are the points I bring up with others that tell me how Rodgers can't "seal the deal". Those douchebags at ESPN will manufacture any stat for a soundbite regardless of how asinine it is.

VegasPackFan
12-23-2008, 02:05 PM
Usually they refer to 4th quarter comebacks, but it doesnt serve the purpose in this case I guess.

I thought the same thing when they said that. No mention at all of the actual circumstances surounding these losses.

Fosco33
Clearly they want to put something negative on ARod.

I'm glad to see M3 and the rest of the coaches are giving him the right support.

And while it's true that ARod has brought the team back numerous times and that Crosby had 2 blocked, Rodgers still had a 'final' shot in many games and couldn't deliver (albeit last minute, long-drives needed, etc.). I'd rather see a drive come up short than end of game picks...

Freak Out
Rodgers is clearly not the reason we have lost more games than we've won this year and has played pretty well considering it is his first year starting.

PackerTimer
12-23-2008, 02:26 PM
In my mind Rodgers has done his job at the end of the game. He's put us in position a few times and had missed field goals. He's aslo gotten us the lead and then had it given right back by the defense.

This year has just been a perfect storm of bad luck and bad breaks. Last year it felt like just about everything went the way you'd want it to. This year has been completely the opposite.

We've played a pretty difficult schedule and played some pretty good teams very close but just haven't gotten the job done or gotten any breaks.

I actually think this is a much better team than our 5-10 record would indicate. I'm fairly optimisitic that a healthy team with a few more added draft picks and (crossing my fingers) a free agent or two could turn this ship around next year.

Partial
12-23-2008, 02:31 PM
How many times has he gotten the ball back with ample time and didn't score, though?

PackerTimer
12-23-2008, 02:51 PM
How many times has he gotten the ball back with ample time and didn't score, though?

I think that's fair. Frankly, he's come up short a few times at the end of a game - I think really only against Carolina and Jacksonville though did he have the ball late, and I guess Tampa. So yeah he's had some chances and not delivered. But he has also delivered in those games and other games. It's hard for me to be too critical of a guy who did it, then had it given back, and then had to do it again.

SkinBasket
12-23-2008, 03:30 PM

Almost exactly as many times as he's lead scoring drives to tie or go ahead and turned the game over to the defense.

Gunakor
12-23-2008, 03:33 PM

As many times as the opposing defense stopped him. Don't you get it Partial? If other teams played as shitty defense as we play in the 4th quarter, Aaron Rodgers would have between 6 and 8 4th quarter comeback victories, and we'd be 13-2 right now. That's the difference in games. Other teams play defense in the 4th quarter, we do not.

But don't suggest Rodgers doesn't score points in the 4th quarter, because I can name at least 4 or 5 times he has tied or taken the lead IN THE FOURTH QUARTER that the defense gave away. Since you love to talk about a 60 minute game, then you'll agree that those points count too. The defense and ST's have to play 60 minutes as well, right? I mean, not 55 minutes. Not even 59 minutes and 35 seconds. If the ST's play a full 60 minutes last night, Mase kicks that through and Rodgers gets the monkey off his back.

God damn, his expression when that kick was blocked said it all. "What the hell do I have to do..."

woodbuck27
12-23-2008, 03:36 PM
Rodgers is clearly not the reason we have lost more games than we've won this year and has played pretty well considering it is his first year starting.

That is clearly true. Aaron Rodgers is a rookie that has looked really good at times.

The Packer 'D' looks bad this season. The run 'D' is horrid. Could that 'D' stop a high school running back?

Have we made up our minds yet that AJ Hawk is a bust or not?

How do y'all feel about the daunted Mike McCarthy? Jeeeeeeez fellas. Is the experiment with delusion over?

RashanGary
12-23-2008, 08:41 PM
Nice dig, Harvey. Very telling.

gex
12-23-2008, 08:52 PM
Anybody else get a kick out of that stat last night. Apparently, Rodgers doesn't get credit for leading the Packers on a scoring drive to take the lead with under 2 minutes left against Carolina because the defense gave up the lead.

Also, convenient for their "angle" how they picked 5 minutes left in the game. Rodgers had four other games (besides Carolina) this year where the offense scored to tie the game or take the lead with between 5-6 minutes left in the game.

Also, Mason Crosby cost him two game winning drives in the 4th quarter after Rodgers had gotten them within FG range (albeit on a lucky play vs. Minnesota). It's not his fault they threw the ball to get within FG range, McCarthy chose not to make even one throw after that, and then Crosby missed the FG.

Very nicely put, You cant pin any of this on our boy A-rod.
He shoulda been going to the pro bowl.

HarveyWallbangers
12-23-2008, 09:01 PM

I don't think he deserves the Pro Bowl, but neither does our former QB. Rodgers played as well as our former QB did this year.

Pugger
12-24-2008, 12:47 AM
I thought I read somewhere online that we are one of the top teams as far as 4th quarter scoring so you can't say AR isn't trying to close out games. Yes, he's had some picks late in games but that happens to all QBs sometimes, especially ones who are pressing cuz he knows his D gives the lead away in frightening speed.

oregonpackfan
12-24-2008, 01:39 AM
Impressive stats and argument, Harv. Now, please send your post and stats to Tony Kornheiser. I am sick and tired of hearing him ramble on how the Packers made a mistake in not bringing back Brett Favre.

Partial
12-24-2008, 10:21 AM

I don't think he deserves the Pro Bowl, but neither does our former QB. Rodgers played as well as our former QB did this year.

Why the need to bring up Favre? You have a vendetta and its irritating.

sharpe1027
12-24-2008, 10:28 AM

People who live in glass houses should not throw stones.

Sparkey
12-24-2008, 10:44 AM

You think Favre should go to the pro bowl ? If so, based on what ?

His stats ? His intangibles? and if they (intangibles) are so great why is the team falling flat on its face ?

Lets see:

Favre
7th in the AFC in passing yards
10th in the AFC in yards per attempt
8th in the AFC for passing yards per game
tied for 4th in touchdowns
8th in the AFC in Qb rating
1st - (yes he leads one stat) in NFL in Interceptions!

Wow, I am wrong. Looking at these numbers, he definately is a pro bowler this year ! :whist: :eyes:

Partial
12-24-2008, 11:09 AM
No, I don't think he should go to the pro bowl. This thread isn't about Favre, the pro bowl, or anything relevant to either one.

It's really convinenant that if I want to post something positive about Favre, I will get flamed if its not in the Favre thread, yet outside of it, guys like Harv take every opportunity to bash a hall-of-famer.

sharpe1027
12-24-2008, 11:19 AM
No, I don't think he should go to the pro bowl. This thread isn't about Favre, the pro bowl, or anything relevant to either one.

It's really convinenant that if I want to post something positive about Favre, I will get flamed if its not in the Favre thread, yet outside of it, guys like Harv take every opportunity to bash a hall-of-famer.

I'm pretty sure that Harv's point was that pro-bowls bids don't go to the best candidates.

Cry me a river.

prsnfoto
12-24-2008, 01:31 PM
The other stat they were hammering was his QB rating inside of 5:00 I think was 45 which is pathetic, but he has to get discouraged that he keeps putting them in a position to win and the D keeps letting him down. My only fear is that this becomes habit and next year it starts again and he becomes tramatized much like young QB's that get sacked too much. It could fuck up his head.

RashanGary
12-24-2008, 01:41 PM
The other stat they were hammering was his QB rating inside of 5:00 I think was 45 which is pathetic, but he has to get discouraged that he keeps putting them in a position to win and the D keeps letting him down. My only fear is that this becomes habit and next year it starts again and he becomes tramatized much like young QB's that get sacked too much. It could fuck up his head.

I'm not worried about Rodgers head, at all. He is a very, very smart man. I think he understands that the defense stinks and understands that it has nothing to do with him although he's also smart enough to never say it out loud. He just needs to focus on being the best QB and teammate he can. I think he knows that.

esoxx
12-24-2008, 04:07 PM

Which is really the whole point of this thread, although veiled.

Yeah, we get it.

cpk1994
12-24-2008, 07:36 PM
Impressive stats and argument, Harv. Now, please send your post and stats to Tony Kornheiser. I am sick and tired of hearing him ramble on how the Packers made a mistake in not bringing back Brett Favre.Also send a copy to Skip Bayless, that is if Skip can unchap his lips from Favre's ass long enough to read it.

gex
12-24-2008, 09:43 PM

Which is really the whole point of this thread, although veiled.

Yeah, we get it.

Thank you for pointing that out!
I like OUR qb as much as anybody...he's a young kid learning... but Harv seems to be getting paid by A-rod's PR dept. :D
I don't see the need to put down a Huge part of the great Packer history in every thread that gets started.
We really do get it it already :roll:

channtheman
12-25-2008, 01:49 AM
I was thinking the same thing when they threw that stat up there. I knew it wasn't accurate and it was trying to get people to think that Rodgers hasn't led his team to a tie or lead at all, when that is just bullshit.

As for you guys whining about Favre, stfu. You sound like a bunch of whiny bitches.

SnakeLH2006
12-25-2008, 02:02 AM
Personally I ain't whining for Brettie, but Arod has been pretty good till the 4th QT. He dissolves.... Stats don't lie. Rodger's 4th QT stats are abysmal, maybe not the sole reason we are 5-10 but it's not good: 44 QB rating in the 4th QT.

That is pretty damn bad. Dude is not clutch in ANY way. Hopefully he does better next year or in the future, but with that shit, he looks lost. Just saying...

What's a good QB...one who wins games late or just wins games (0-7 or 5-10) so take your pick. Lots to prove yet...Hard to flame those stats...But go ahead, I like Arod, but no reason to get carried away making decorations for the bandwagon till we win some fucking games (5-10).

Gunakor
12-25-2008, 02:52 AM
Personally I ain't whining for Brettie, but Arod has been pretty good till the 4th QT. He dissolves.... Stats don't lie. Rodger's 4th QT stats are abysmal, maybe not the sole reason we are 5-10 but it's not good: 44 QB rating in the 4th QT.

That is pretty damn bad. Dude is not clutch in ANY way. Hopefully he does better next year or in the future, but with that shit, he looks lost. Just saying...

What's a good QB...one who wins games late or just wins games (0-7 or 5-10) so take your pick. Lots to prove yet...Hard to flame those stats...But go ahead, I like Arod, but no reason to get carried away making decorations for the bandwagon till we win some fucking games (5-10).

Well, he's still clutch in the fact that he has one of the highest QB ratings in the league on third down. But I agree, his 4th quarter production leaves a little to be desired. I just wonder if that low 4th quarter QB rating has a lot to do with him pressing more than he should, due to the defensive meltdowns that also occur in the 4th quarter.

Patler
12-25-2008, 09:00 AM

No, his 4th quarter stats are not that bad:

4th quarter - 82/137, 955 yards, 6 TDs, 5 interceptions, 80.4 rating.
He has thrown for more yards in the 4th quarter than he has in the first and third quarters.
He has more TDs in the 4th quarter than he has in the 1st and 3rd quarters.

If Crosby had made the two FGs he missed, this would not even be a topic of discussion. If the defense also had held the leads Rodgers lead the team to in the last half of the 4th quarter, he would be considered to be doing a great job.

As Harvey pointed out, the "0-7" stat is hopelessly superficial and misleading.

denverYooper
12-25-2008, 09:19 AM

Aaron Rodgers has an 80.4 QB Rating in the 4th quarter in 2008.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/7200/situational;_ylt=Ah_AA1U69j_DE6WX2JGwx5f.uLYF?year =2008

Situation G QBRat Comp Att Pct Yds Y/G Y/A TD Int
4th Quarter 15 80.4 82 137 59.9 955 0.0 7.0 6 5

And he has a 75.3 rating for his career:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/7200/situational;_ylt=Ah_AA1U69j_DE6WX2JGwx5f.uLYF?year =career

Situation G QBRat Comp Att Pct Yds Y/G Y/A TD Int
4th Quarter 22 75.3 102 173 59.0 1122 0.0 6.5 6 6 27 60 0.0 2.2 2 14 103 5 3

"Lies, damned lies, and statistics" --Benjamin Disraeli :)

Partial
12-25-2008, 02:12 PM

But c'mon... our offense is dynamite in the second half what with a slew of 3 point performances in a row!!

cpk1994
12-25-2008, 02:19 PM

But c'mon... our offense is dynamite in the second half what with a slew of 3 point performances in a row!!Bob S., quit making excuses for your pathetic D. You should be worriying more about pending unemployment than trolling forums. :)

esoxx
12-25-2008, 07:45 PM

He has thrown for more yards in the 4th quarter than he has in the first and third quarters.

If Crosby had made the two FGs he missed, this would not even be a topic of discussion. If the defense also had held the leads Rodgers lead the team to in the last half of the 4th quarter, he would be considered to be doing a great job.

Yeah, and if grandma had balls she'd be grandpa. If, If, If.

They're plenty of reasons and blame to go around. The 0-7 stat is superficial and misleading. Then you throw up 4th quarter stats that show 6 TD, 5 int and an 80 rating. Not bad but certainly not good. He has done very well overall but end of games, he does share in the blame.

5-10 are the numbers that bother me.

No amount of rationalization can excuse this disaster of a season.

Bretsky
12-25-2008, 07:49 PM

They're plenty of reasons and blame to go around. The 0-7 stat is superficial and misleading. Then you throw up 4th quarter stats that show 6 TD, 5 int and an 80 rating. Not bad but certainly not good. He has done very well overall but end of games, he does share in the blame.

BINGO

Patler
12-25-2008, 08:11 PM

BINGO

Who's trying to rationalize anything? Just trying to bring some honest analysis to the situation. You know, trying to discuss what the real problems are rsther than looking for a single person to blame, which many seem to want to do. The ridiculous thing, especially in view of the events this year,is to say Radgers is 0-7. THE PACKERS are 0-7 in end of game situations. If you guys want to be honest about it, in several of those Rodgers actually didhis job, andothers failed. In several, Rodgers failed, too.

It's just easier to blame TT, or Rodgers.

By the way, iif an 80+ rating is so bad, then what do you have to say about QBs who have lower ratings than that for entire seasons? Or for multiple seasons?

esoxx
12-25-2008, 08:32 PM

BINGO

Who's trying to rationalize anything? *You seem to be.

Just trying to bring some honest analysis to the situation. *Same here.

You know, trying to discuss what the real problems are rsther than looking for a single person to blame, which many seem to want to do. *Which I'm not doing. Who are talking about?

The ridiculous thing, especially in view of the events this year,is to say Radgers is 0-7. THE PACKERS are 0-7 in end of game situations. *Yes, the Packers are 0-7 in end game situations. They've also lost more games in a row than at any time since 1990. Ridiculous indeed.

If you guys want to be honest about it, in several of those Rodgers actually did his job and others failed. *There's that honest thing again. I thought I was being honest. Yes, he did do well in some end of game situations, some kicks were missed, some things went wrong. Good. So at the end of the day we're still 5-10 and I don't feel any better about it.

In several, Rodgers failed, too. *Yep

It's just easier to blame TT, or Rodgers. *Good grief.

By the way, iif an 80+ rating is so bad, then what do you have to say about QBs who have lower ratings than that for entire seasons? Or for multiple seasons? *I'm sure that's a loaded question but I don't think 80 is good. I never said it was "so bad." I'm guessing Favre's rating combined the past four years is under 80, is that the purpose of your question?

Patler
12-25-2008, 10:39 PM

BINGO

Who's trying to rationalize anything? *You seem to be.

Just trying to bring some honest analysis to the situation. *Same here.

You know, trying to discuss what the real problems are rsther than looking for a single person to blame, which many seem to want to do. *Which I'm not doing. Who are talking about?

The ridiculous thing, especially in view of the events this year,is to say Radgers is 0-7. THE PACKERS are 0-7 in end of game situations. *Yes, the Packers are 0-7 in end game situations. They've also lost more games in a row than at any time since 1990. Ridiculous indeed.

If you guys want to be honest about it, in several of those Rodgers actually did his job and others failed. *There's that honest thing again. I thought I was being honest. Yes, he did do well in some end of game situations, some kicks were missed, some things went wrong. Good. So at the end of the day we're still 5-10 and I don't feel any better about it.

In several, Rodgers failed, too. *Yep

It's just easier to blame TT, or Rodgers. *Good grief.

By the way, iif an 80+ rating is so bad, then what do you have to say about QBs who have lower ratings than that for entire seasons? Or for multiple seasons? *I'm sure that's a loaded question but I don't think 80 is good. I never said it was "so bad." I'm guessing Favre's rating combined the past four years is under 80, is that the purpose of your question?

The Packers are 5-10. BIG FRICKIN' DEAL!
Some of you people act like the world is coming to an end, or that you have been personally insulted, abused or wronged by it. AND BY GOD IT'S SOMEONE'S FAULT. Find that person, and all can be right again.

esoxx
12-25-2008, 10:53 PM
You're obviously not talking to me so I will let it go. It's like you didn't read or comprehend anything I wrote.
Merry Christmas.

Zool
12-25-2008, 10:58 PM
The Packers are 5-10. BIG FRICKIN' DEAL!
Some of you people act like the world is coming to an end, or that you have been personally insulted, abused or wronged by it. AND BY GOD IT'S SOMEONE'S FAULT. Find that person, and all can be right again.

If you guys break Patlers brain, I'm gonna start eliminating you systematically.

esoxx
12-25-2008, 11:01 PM
Yeah, we won't want that to happen.

GrnBay007
12-25-2008, 11:10 PM
Who cares about winning as long as the QB stats are good!!! :shock:

:(

Patler
12-25-2008, 11:26 PM
You're obviously not talking to me so I will let it go. It's like you didn't read or comprehend anything I wrote.
Merry Christmas.

Nor you mine, if you think I was rationalizing anything.

Patler
12-25-2008, 11:28 PM

Jeez, another person who can't read.

GrnBay007
12-26-2008, 12:00 AM

Really? LOL

It's really getting bad when one of the most reasonable posters at PR starts taking cracks at people....."can't read".

Lately everything is about STATS! All I'm saying is some people care more about Packer wins then QB stats.

Pugger
12-26-2008, 12:09 AM
What I find strange is this need for some of us to find someone to blame for this dreadful season. If you think about it the list of suspects is long. Some of the guys at 1265 are more culpable than others.

TT gambled with the D line thinking we were set so he traded Williams but got burned. It got so bad we were signing street FAs and guys off practice squads just to have enough players with a pulse to suit up. He hasn't had a lot of luck getting decent O linemen either. I hope he feels the need to be more active in FA and stops picking projects in the draft!

MM and his coaching staff haven't been stellar at times either. Some of the game decisions by MM have been questionable at best and for some reason the players often show a lack of discipline with penalties and missed blocks/tackles and that you can lay at the feet of ALL of the coaches.

Rodgers has had a fairly nice year stat wise but I'm sure if you asked him he'd trade all those stats for several more wins! His biggest problem this year is his inability to finish games. Yes, other aspects of the team (D and ST) have messed up and cost us games but AR has thrown his fair share of untimely picks late in the 4th. I'm hoping this is just because he is pressing and/or his inexperience. Do you guys notice nobody talks about is fragility any more?

We should tell all of the O linemen to get in line. Every one of them has messed up one time or another at the worst possible moment either on offense or ST.

Our WRs have been one of the few bright spots but we haven't had all of them available in games very often so we haven't been able to use our 5 wide sets much.

Lee is okay but we need a hell of lot more production out of our TEs. We could also use a big bruising RB like a Marion Barber type to push the pile to convert 3rd/4th and short.

Because of the problems on the D line the defense has been atrocious this year. We have zero pass rush 98% of the time. We let even the most pedestrian QBs look like all-pros. :?

Our LBs have had their problems. It could go back to our D line issues but our LBs haven't been able to cover a TE all season long either and it's killed us.

Not having Bigby much this season has been one of our problems at safety. It got so bad that we were forced to put Woodson over at safety. It's a wonder how Al Harris came back from his injured spleen. Woodson has been his normal amazing self and Collins has had a nice season so both will be going to HI.

ST have not been special. Punting has been a mess and Crosby has missed a couple big kicks. Our kickoff and punt coverages have been lousy at times too. The number of big returns we give away has to stop!

Zool
12-26-2008, 07:22 AM

Really? LOL

It's really getting bad when one of the most reasonable posters at PR starts taking cracks at people....."can't read".

Lately everything is about STATS! All I'm saying is some people care more about Packer wins then QB stats.

Exactly...dont break the Patler or the consequences will be dire.

And no 7, all people care more about wins than stats, but the wins arent here and wont be here this season. Its called a silver lining in a shit filled cloud that is the 2008 Packer season.

Patler
12-26-2008, 07:56 AM

Really? LOL

Respected poster? You make me laugh! Respected? When you and others continually take shots at me? When you suggested that some people, by implication me, are happy if the stats are good, regardless of team success? Thank you very much! I try to open avenues for discussion, which after all was the topic of this thread, and I get ridiculed.

People can come on here, make blanket statements with no support, statements that are simply wrong. Yet because it is easier to blame one single individual rather than to actually think, and look at all causes, that post is accepted. When I point out its error, and suggest that more factors be considered, factors that may be the greater cause, I get snipes from you and others, (e.g. -"Yeah, and if grandma had balls she'd be grandpa." or "Who cares about winning as long as the QB stats are good!!! :shock:")

Patler
12-26-2008, 08:06 AM
What I find strange is this need for some of us to find someone to blame for this dreadful season. If you think about it the list of suspects is long. Some of the guys at 1265 are more culpable than others.

TT gambled ...
MM and his coaching staff haven't been stellar ....
Rodgers has ..
We should tell all of the O linemen ...
Our WRs ....
Lee ...
...the defense has been atrocious this year. We have zero pass rush 98% of the time. We let even the most pedestrian QBs look like all-pros. :?
Our LBs have had their problems....
Not having Bigby ...
ST have not been special...

Praise the Lord! A poster willing to think!!!!!!
Yes, the list is indeed long. Some are mistakes by the GM or coaches, some are "mistakes" (poor performance by players), some are just bad luck. Some need to be learned from and changed. Some need to be "fixed." Others will hopefully correct them selves in a new season.

Patler
12-26-2008, 08:13 AM
Exactly...dont break the Patler or the consequences will be dire.

Meaning exactly what? Come on Zool. Explain yourself. I start threads and comment in threads with the hope of opening discussion, to keep this from becoming nothing but emotional bitching; and continually receive comments like that. I try to look for topics to start on days that are slow. I try to add some reality to threads that drift to nothing but emotion. I confront posters who make statements that are simply wrong factually. Yet you and many others seem to resent me more and more. Why is that?

So, let's have it. What is your problem with my postings?

Rastak
12-26-2008, 08:14 AM

Really? LOL

Respected poster? You make me laugh! Respected? When you and others continually take shots at me? When you suggested that some people, by implication me, are happy if the stats are good, regardless of team success? Thank you very much! I try to open avenues for discussion, which after all was the topic of this thread, and I get ridiculed.

People can come on here, make blanket statements with no support, statements that are simply wrong. Yet because it is easier to blame one single individual rather than to actually think, and look at all causes, that post is accepted. When I point out its error, and suggest that more factors be considered, factors that may be the greater cause, I get snipes from you and others, (e.g. -"Yeah, and if grandma had balls she'd be grandpa." or "Who cares about winning as long as the QB stats are good!!! :shock:")

Patler, yer an idiot. Sorry, got caught up in the crowd mentality and felt I needed to take a shot. :wink:

The 0-7 is a fact but I agree that other factors play into it far more than Rodgers play. The guy's had a pretty damn good year. This entire QB discussion is pretty crazy if you ask me. There are a few zealots on both sides that turn every single discussion into a QB battle between the old and the new.

Gunakor
12-26-2008, 01:26 PM

Well, if the QB stats weren't good, we'd have been blown out in 7 games rather than lost 7 games that came down to the wire. Looking at the W-L record by itself does not inspire optimism in the coming seasons. Looking at the solid QB stats in 7 down to the wire losses at least builds a foundation of hope going forward that an otherwise dismal season would not have allowed. It inspires confidence that things could turn around very quickly next season. It's a glass half full attitude that I wish more posters here had.

Unfortunately, too many of us are focusing on placing blame for what went wrong than on giving credit for what went right. I hope those running the show at 1265 do not have that same attitude, or nothing will ever change.

rbaloha1
12-26-2008, 02:53 PM
Its actually 0-8. Two were missed/block field goals.

Plain and simple A-Rod needs to reamain composed and not force the issue.

The only way for the Packers to once again become a super bowl contender is for A-Rod to win more close games than he loses.

Gunakor
12-26-2008, 03:02 PM

The only way for the Packers to once again become a super bowl contender is for A-Rod to win more close games than he loses.

I guess we see things differently. I am of the opinion that the defense and special teams need to remain composed and not force the issue. They would have been close games that swung the other way if the defense weren't guaranteed to give up points on the last of our opponent's opportunities every week. Or if our vaunted FG kicker can get his kick into the air. Or if Jarrett Bush would pull his head out of his ass at some point in his career. Or if...

A-Rod does not win games. The PACKERS win games. I don't quite understand how so many people cannot come to that realization, even after watching the offense put the winning points on the board with enough time left for just ONE possession for our opponent to tie or take the lead. Yet it's the offense's fault - or Rodgers' fault in particular? Baffling. I don't know if I'll ever be able to understand how you guys come to the conclusion that Rodgers is somehow responsible for the Packers futility this year. He's led a number of 4th quarter comebacks this year. People are so quick to forget that...

GrnBay007
12-26-2008, 05:13 PM
Respected? When you and others continually take shots at me? When you suggested that some people, by implication me, are happy if the stats are good, regardless of team success?

That wasn't a shot at you Patler. I'm sorry you took it that way.

Bretsky
12-26-2008, 06:02 PM

TT gambled with the D line thinking we were set so he traded Williams but got burned. It got so bad we were signing street FAs and guys off practice squads just to have enough players with a pulse to suit up. He hasn't had a lot of luck getting decent O linemen either. I hope he feels the need to be more active in FA and stops picking projects in the draft!

MM and his coaching staff haven't been stellar at times either. Some of the game decisions by MM have been questionable at best and for some reason the players often show a lack of discipline with penalties and missed blocks/tackles and that you can lay at the feet of ALL of the coaches.

Rodgers has had a fairly nice year stat wise but I'm sure if you asked him he'd trade all those stats for several more wins! His biggest problem this year is his inability to finish games. Yes, other aspects of the team (D and ST) have messed up and cost us games but AR has thrown his fair share of untimely picks late in the 4th. I'm hoping this is just because he is pressing and/or his inexperience. Do you guys notice nobody talks about is fragility any more?

We should tell all of the O linemen to get in line. Every one of them has messed up one time or another at the worst possible moment either on offense or ST.

Our WRs have been one of the few bright spots but we haven't had all of them available in games very often so we haven't been able to use our 5 wide sets much.

Lee is okay but we need a hell of lot more production out of our TEs. We could also use a big bruising RB like a Marion Barber type to push the pile to convert 3rd/4th and short.

Because of the problems on the D line the defense has been atrocious this year. We have zero pass rush 98% of the time. We let even the most pedestrian QBs look like all-pros. :?

Our LBs have had their problems. It could go back to our D line issues but our LBs haven't been able to cover a TE all season long either and it's killed us.

Not having Bigby much this season has been one of our problems at safety. It got so bad that we were forced to put Woodson over at safety. It's a wonder how Al Harris came back from his injured spleen. Woodson has been his normal amazing self and Collins has had a nice season so both will be going to HI.

ST have not been special. Punting has been a mess and Crosby has missed a couple big kicks. Our kickoff and punt coverages have been lousy at times too. The number of big returns we give away has to stop!

GREAT POST

rbaloha1
12-26-2008, 09:25 PM

I guess we see things differently. I am of the opinion that the defense and special teams need to remain composed and not force the issue. They would have been close games that swung the other way if the defense weren't guaranteed to give up points on the last of our opponent's opportunities every week. Or if our vaunted FG kicker can get his kick into the air. Or if Jarrett Bush would pull his head out of his ass at some point in his career. Or if...

A-Rod does not win games. The PACKERS win games. I don't quite understand how so many people cannot come to that realization, even after watching the offense put the winning points on the board with enough time left for just ONE possession for our opponent to tie or take the lead. Yet it's the offense's fault - or Rodgers' fault in particular? Baffling. I don't know if I'll ever be able to understand how you guys come to the conclusion that Rodgers is somehow responsible for the Packers futility this year. He's led a number of 4th quarter comebacks this year. People are so quick to forget that...

The point is elite qbs win games in the last 2 minutes. A-Rod has demonstrated this.

Agreed the team is also to blame for the 0-8 stat. But at the end of the day, A-Rod was given chances to win and he failed.

Again A-Rod needs to be an elite q-b to lead us to the super bowl not the defense.

GrnBay007
12-26-2008, 09:50 PM
Agreed the team is also to blame for the 0-8 stat. But at the end of the day, A-Rod was given chances to win and he failed.

Again A-Rod needs to be an elite q-b to lead us to the super bowl not the defense.

Like the old saying goes....the QB gets all the praise when things go right and all the blame when things go wrong. That's the way things go in the NFL.

Bretsky
12-26-2008, 09:52 PM
Respected? When you and others continually take shots at me? When you suggested that some people, by implication me, are happy if the stats are good, regardless of team success?

That wasn't a shot at you Patler. I'm sorry you took it that way.

Women.............just can't understand them

Can't live with em..........can't live without em

and in our sleep, we can't live without two or three of them :lol:

GrnBay007
12-26-2008, 09:55 PM
Women.............just can't understand them

Can't live with em..........can't live without em

and in our sleep, we can't live without two or three of them :lol:

B<--- :butt: <---007

:P

SnakeLH2006
12-26-2008, 11:11 PM
Wow this thread has run down. Fuck stats other than Arod is 0-7 in bringing us back....All every single fucking NFL game tape/film/current game does is bring up 4th QT comebacks....I'd love to see a stat of down in 4th QT vs. winning the game....prob. the best are .333 but Arod is 0-7. There's lot's of fucking blame to go around but the facts are ARod is pretty good statistically until late in the 4th....saw some crazy stat in the last game where he was 0 Tds, 5 ints. late in the last 5 min....and me and my buddies who are HARDCORE Pack fans saw that and just thought how this is true....maybe we could have got 3 more wins, or 2, as Arod has been pretty Favre-like until the last 5-6 min. of the game (but then again that what's made him the legend/man at that age...MVPs...maybe not at 39, but then.....who the fuck thinks Arod is gonna win the game late after all the chances this season?...dude doesn't even have a CLUTCH in his jeep)....

I never feel the chance WE have a chance late (look around, does anyone).....look what Favre did in his first game in GB...There's plenty of blame to go around, but dude is so anti-clutch it's sick..Fuck stats..or say yeah, look at those, we coulda won 7 games and/did won none of them. If we won 4 of those 7 games ARod coulda won late we'd be 9-6. But hey, none is something. Quit defending this shit. He's not the reason we are losing, but is too young to do better as of yet. So until he realizes how to win late regardless of the D (have a chance) we won't be playoff contenders.

First off I love stats, but Elway, Montana, Young, Brett were all deece at QB stats, but to defend ARod now when he's been relatively healthy and has put up deece 2008 stats (they all rise in QB ratings so don't compare Brett as the avg. rating has risen over the past decade plus) yet those dudes won games late to get them into the playoffs or close to...I still like ARod but the hell if it doesn't matter if he hasn't won games late....Remember how many shitty D's Marino, Elway, etc. had. They still pulled 'em out late and are the winningest 2nd and 3rd QB's behind Brett with shitty casts/teams.

See this vid and get back to me when ARod does this after 16 games (not his first QB game like Brett did as we are all waiting)..damn...We are 5-10 and had SO MANY chances regardless of our D to win the game.....so what happens, we want the Pack to lose and get a good pick now? Only happened once in 2005..Flame that, but it's fucking true...in 2008...what now? He's had his chances and is healthy as a QB is determined by his wins...I see Carson Palmer until proven otherwise. Throw up all the stats, Arod is a failure in late games and has proven thus far. He's had a chance to win all those. FG's? Throw a TD hero. Or at least win one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ6LTcvzzAs

packerbacker1234
12-27-2008, 02:38 AM

The stat though, again, is misleading. scoring with 5+ minutes to go isn't really crunch time. All you did was hand the ball over tot eh other side with a crap ton of time to drive the field, and end the game. Against Detroit, Tennsee, Houston, and Jacksonville, Rodgers had the ball in his hands just under 2 minutes to play, and never punched it in the endzone. You came blame crosby, or the coaching staff if you wish for being conservative in two of the games, but lets face it: Rodgers had the ball just under two in several games this year and didn't win a single one.

Take the panther game into account, sure we took the lead with 2 minutes to go. Great. Too bad carolina executed a two minute drill to perfection, with good old Delhomme showing once again how you get it done with the game on the line in the clutch. Defense may of blew the lead, but when has Rodgers led a 2 minute left in the game to win? I mean, just as likely, the panther defense gave us the lead in that game.

Oh, and we only took the lead with a FG. Again, we needed a TD to seal it, not a FG.

Patler
12-27-2008, 03:39 AM
The stat though, again, is misleading. scoring with 5+ minutes to go isn't really crunch time. All you did was hand the ball over tot eh other side with a crap ton of time to drive the field, and end the game. Against Detroit, Tennsee, Houston, and Jacksonville, Rodgers had the ball in his hands just under 2 minutes to play, and never punched it in the endzone. You came blame crosby, or the coaching staff if you wish for being conservative in two of the games, but lets face it: Rodgers had the ball just under two in several games this year and didn't win a single one.

Take the panther game into account, sure we took the lead with 2 minutes to go. Great. Too bad carolina executed a two minute drill to perfection, with good old Delhomme showing once again how you get it done with the game on the line in the clutch. Defense may of blew the lead, but when has Rodgers led a 2 minute left in the game to win? I mean, just as likely, the panther defense gave us the lead in that game.

Oh, and we only took the lead with a FG. Again, we needed a TD to seal it, not a FG.

I can't believe you are criticizing Rodgers for the Carolina game. He executed a beautiful 4th quarter drive that should have won the game.

Getting the ball at his own 20 with 11:10 remaining, Rodgers engineered a drive that took 9:13 seconds. He was 6/6 passing for 53 yards and ran for another 8 yards on two carries. That drive was all Rodgers. Jackson had just 3 carries for 10 yards, until it was 1st down and goal to go at the 7. After relying on Rodgers to get them there, MM then runs Jackson for 6 on 1st down, Jackson for 0 on 2nd and Kuhn for 0 on third. Hardly Rodgers fault that they didn't get the TD.

Rodgers and the offense ran 9 minutes and 13 seconds off the clock in that drive, scored to take the lead, then turned it over to the kickoff team and a very well-rested defense. Carolina ran just two plays after a 45 yard kickoff return. A single 54 yard pass and a 1 yard run for the TD. It took all of 27 seconds. I guess Rodgers left too much time on the clock. He should have made sure that his drive took at least about 10:50 so Carolina wouldn't have had the 27 seconds they needed to score.

Yes, I know, Rodgers had still one final shot with 1:24 remaining and the ball at his own 17. He screwed up and threw and interception. But the drive that SHOULD have won the game was the 16 play, 9 minute drive, and it wasn't Rodger's fault that after getting them to the 7, MM took the ball away from him.

gex
12-27-2008, 11:23 AM

Well said!

Gunakor
12-27-2008, 01:14 PM

The point is elite qbs win games in the last 2 minutes. A-Rod has demonstrated this.

Defense wins games, especially in January. Wouldn't you agree?

Green Bay has never won a Super Bowl without an elite defense. Not once.

HarveyWallbangers
10-10-2011, 11:04 PM
This thread is interesting. Most of the people that criticized Rodgers (and most in this thread did) don't post anymore. It's funny that Rastak, the Vikings fan, was one who admitted Rodgers had a pretty damn good year.

vince
10-10-2011, 11:43 PM
ah the memories. The Favreageddon army. That Rodgers guy turned out alright.

pbmax
10-11-2011, 07:23 AM
Still having trouble with games decided by less than 4 points. Playoff games are normally close, they can't win a Super Bowl with a QB and coach like that. :lol:

mmmdk
10-11-2011, 08:38 AM
I was over the moon in 2005 when we drafted Aaron Rodgers; I went ahead and scooped up all the games with AR I could from Pontel.com :flm: I still go back that pile of dvds - again & again.

Pugger
10-11-2011, 08:51 AM
I remember being excited about seeing Rodgers sitting there in NY on draft day when our pick came up. I couldn't believe our good fortune! I wonder how may GMs that passed on AR that day are kicking themselves now? :lol:

mmmdk, is that a photo of AR or Dickey in your avatar?

Zool
10-11-2011, 09:07 AM
Meaning exactly what? Come on Zool. Explain yourself. I start threads and comment in threads with the hope of opening discussion, to keep this from becoming nothing but emotional bitching; and continually receive comments like that. I try to look for topics to start on days that are slow. I try to add some reality to threads that drift to nothing but emotion. I confront posters who make statements that are simply wrong factually. Yet you and many others seem to resent me more and more. Why is that?

So, let's have it. What is your problem with my postings?

Weird, Patler you must have been off your game this day. I was actually trying to get people to back off their idiocy but you thought I was calling you out. I have always enjoyed your posts and thought you to be one of the most valuable posters in the Packer room.

ThunderDan
10-11-2011, 09:25 AM
Still having trouble with games decided by less than 4 points. Playoff games are normally close, they can't win a Super Bowl with a QB and coach like that. :lol:

I don't think AR has brought us back in the 4th Q during our current 11 game win streak. Dump the bum!!! :lol:

mmmdk
10-11-2011, 09:29 AM
I remember being excited about seeing Rodgers sitting there in NY on draft day when our pick came up. I couldn't believe our good fortune! I wonder how may GMs that passed on AR that day are kicking themselves now? :lol:

The picture is AR vs Saints in 2005 - I believe his first action as QB at Lambeau. It was a 51-3 rout. I've had that avatar for a looong, long time! :smile:

vince
10-12-2011, 08:34 AM
I don't think AR has brought us back in the 4th Q during our current 11 game win streak. Dump the bum!!! :lol:
That's correct. And look at the list of other guys who have gone almost as long without a 4th Q comeback!

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_4296_Captain_Comeback_Week_5%3A_Winning.html

Green Bay’s Path to Victory
While the Colts have their 11-game streak of comeback futility, the Green Bay Packers have put together an 11-game winning streak for the ages.

In winning the last six games of the 2010 season on their way to claiming Super Bowl XLV, and starting 5-0 in 2011, the Packers have not trailed in the fourth quarter one time during the 11-game streak. Only once have they been tied, and that was just briefly against the Bears in week 17.

Before the season started we looked at the front-running nature of the Packers, and how they win almost all of their games by getting ahead and staying there. Right now they’re performing at a level where no team is able to get ahead of them and force them to come back in the fourth quarter.

Since they haven’t been blowing every team out, the defense has been exceptional in preventing late-game rallies by the opponent. They secured key fourth quarter interceptions against Jay Cutler in week 17, Michael Vick in the NFC Wild Card, Caleb Hanie (twice) in the NFC Championship, and from Matt Ryan on Sunday night. They forced the fumble of Rashard Mendenhall in the Super Bowl, and they had goal line stands this season against the Saints and Panthers.

Just how unprecedented is this streak? We looked through several other successful runs to find the best winning streaks without trailing in the fourth quarter.

Winning Streaks Without Trailing in 4th Quarter

Team
QB
Year(s)
Games
Games Tied in 4th QT
Notes

Packers
Aaron Rodgers
2010-11
Last 11 games incl. SB XLV

Steelers
Terry Bradshaw
Lost season finale; won SB X

Colts
Peyton Manning
Lost week 15 after 13-0 start

Colts
Earl Morrall
Lost SB III

Cowboys
Troy Aikman
1993-94
Incl. SB XXVIII; lost week 3

Dolphins
Bob Griese
Lost week 13; won SB VIII

49ers
Joe Montana
Last 9 games thru SB XIX

Cowboys
Roger Staubach*
Last 9 games thru SB VI

Packers
Brett Favre
1996-97
Incl. SB XXXI; lost week 2

Dolphins
Dan Marino
First 9 games; lost SB XIX

Vikings
Randall Cunningham
Lost NFC Championship

Steelers
Ben Roethlisberger
Last 8 games thru SB XL

Patriots
Tom Brady
Lost SB XLII after 18-0 start

Giants
Phil Simms
Last 8 games thru SB XXI

Browns
Otto Graham
Lost season finale; won title

49ers
Steve Young
Lost NFC Championship

Broncos
John Elway
First 6 games; won SB XXXII

Colts
Johnny Unitas
Finished 9-5; no playoffs

*Staubach was injured in 1972, and the Cowboys extended their streak to 11 straight wins without trailing in the fourth quarter.

The Packers are looking rather historic here. Notice that so many of these runs not surprisingly culminated with a Super Bowl championship.

Other notable streaks:
In 1976, the Steelers won 10 straight games while starting Mike Kruczek and Terry Bradshaw at quarterback, never trailing in the fourth quarter until their loss to the Raiders in the AFC Championship. Hard to trail when you allow 4.2 PPG.

The 1928 Packers won their last game of the season 6-0 over the Bears. They started 10-0 in 1929, never allowing more than 6 points. Their 11th game was a 0-0 tie. That’s likely an 11-game winning streak without trailing in the fourth quarter, but you can never tell for sure with games from those days.

The 1933 Chicago Bears won their last four games of the regular season, before picking up a comeback win (thanks to a jump pass by Bronko Nagurski turned into a lateral) over the Giants in the first ever NFL Championship Game. Then in 1934, the Bears were 13-0 in the regular season, setting the NFL record with an 18-game winning streak. But they lost the NFL Championship game to the Giants. It appears they started the season 9-0 without trailing in the fourth, before needing a 9-point comeback to defeat those Giants 10-9. This would make their streak 9 games.

The Bears would have another 18-game win streak in 1941-42. Sid Luckman led a comeback on 12/7/1941 (day of the Pearl Harbor attack). He would lead another in the first game of the 1942 season. The Bears finished 11-0, losing in the championship game again, meaning this win streak without trailing in the fourth quarter was 10 games long.

The 1969 Vikings won 12 straight games, but the comeback they needed on 11/16 at Green Bay limits their streak to 7 games.

The 1972 Dolphins were 17-0, but they didn’t string together more than 6 straight wins without trailing in the fourth. They actually were a better team the following season when they won the Super Bowl again.

The 1985 Bears only needed one comeback win, which came on 11/3 against the Packers. That breaks their streak at eight games to start the season. They went on to win the last six games of the season. In 1986, they started 6-0, but needed a comeback in the third game; again the opponent was Green Bay (notice how they keep coming up here). Comeback wins against the Packers bookend 8-game win streaks without trailing in the fourth for Ditka’s Bears.

With the winless, comeback-less Rams up next on the schedule, Green Bay should have no problem pushing this streak to 12 games. Maybe someone with a deeper database can say otherwise, but we haven’t found any team in NFL history that’s won 12 straight games without trailing once in the fourth quarter. Certainly no team in the modern era.

We’ll be keeping track of this as it progresses. History says the streak shouldn’t last much longer.

Upnorth
10-12-2011, 11:51 AM

My wife looked at me like an idiot when I started yelling at the computer in joy. She came running up, "what happened what happened" when i told her she just said 'oh'. Sigh...

Upnorth
10-12-2011, 11:53 AM
That's correct. And look at the list of other guys who have gone almost as long without a 4th Q comeback!

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_4296_Captain_Comeback_Week_5%3A_Winning.html

So what you are saying is this is a list of quarterbacks who could not win close games and could not mount a comeback. Stupid hall voters.

Noodle
10-12-2011, 05:59 PM
Vince, that is an awesome post. I am not bashing BF, but I think we in Packerland became too accustomed to equating QB brilliance with last-second heroics.

There's a lot to be said for a guy who takes care of his business so well that there's not much to do in the final 2 minutes besides taking a knee.

pbmax
10-12-2011, 06:11 PM
Vince, that is an awesome post. I am not bashing BF, but I think we in Packerland became too accustomed to equating QB brilliance with last-second heroics.

There's a lot to be said for a guy who takes care of his business so well that there's not much to do in the final 2 minutes besides taking a knee.

What is amazing about that is how it differs from Favre's earlier career path. When he was young and Holmgren was still coach, Favre had relatively few 4th Quarter comebacks compared to many other QBs. It was the one stat area, outside of INTs that he didn't seem to top in those heady days. As the team's defense got worse, he started to pick them up.

And by playing so long, his totals are high. But it was not the signature of his early or mid-career. Someone, maybe pro football reference, put together a list of comeback rates, to at least even out the totals from number of games played. Favre was not in the top tier, though I suspect he is well ahead of Rodgers in this are. But as we know, this stat is not indicative of great teams, necessarily.

Noodle
10-12-2011, 07:21 PM
I don't disagree, PB, but you have to agree that the indelible first impression of Favre (though not his first Packer appearance) was his amazing relief of Majik Man against Cincy and winning the game with less than 2 minutes to play.

So I think there did grow up here a belief that unless you could do it with the clock ticking down, you just weren't all that. I think the list that Vince posted suggests that there is more than one way to be great.

And my high blood pressure really appreciates the Pack's current style of winning!