PDA

View Full Version : DRAFTT !

steve823
12-23-2008, 11:03 PM
Ok so we are probably going to pick from around 8 to 11..probably 10 or so. If you were TT who would you pick?

Im really high on Malcom Jenkins and think he will be a great cb in the nfl. Harris is ancient even tho i love him hes 34 and woodosn has a few years left. That would leave us with woodson williams, and jenkins which is great.

I think our D-line is our 1st priority but you cant pass up on Jenkins if he falls to us...hes the best cb to come out out the draft in a while. For D-line im not really sold on Michael johnson though I think hes overrated. I would mind getting orakpo.

Guiness
12-24-2008, 12:05 AM
Giving up on Lee already?

Partial
12-24-2008, 12:09 AM
Maualuga is the best player in college football this year. I take him and I switch to a 3-4 as he is the next Rey Lewis. They can't teach that size/speed/power/intensity combination.

steve823
12-24-2008, 04:40 AM
Giving up on Lee already?

No..but TT is a big believer in best player avaible and if jenkins is there he will be. Not many times do athletes of his caliber come around. Plus in the future we can have williams, jenkins, and lee. Kinda like the eagles have 3 good cbs now.

steve823
12-24-2008, 04:41 AM
Maualuga is the best player in college football this year. I take him and I switch to a 3-4 as he is the next Rey Lewis. They can't teach that size/speed/power/intensity combination.

It takes years to go from a 4-3 to 34 sucessfully. Our whole d-line is too small besides jenkins..he could be an end. And for linebackers hawk ok..barnett not a good fit...and etc etc. you cant just switch.

RashanGary
12-24-2008, 07:52 AM
Everette Brown is my guy. I'm not sure how good Eugene Monroe is, but I'd love to get better at OT too.

RashanGary
12-24-2008, 08:13 AM
9. Everette Brown* DE Florida State 96
10. Eugene Monroe OT Virginia 96
11. Rey Maualuga ILB USC 96
13. Vontae Davis* CB Illinois 95
16. Jermaine Gresham* TE Oklahoma 95
17. B.J. Raji* DT Boston Coll. 94

I think it's going to be one of these guys here. My favorite is Everette Brown, but I like all of these guys and all fit into a 4-3/press type defense or a WCO. If ESPN has any clue, this draft could fall really well for us. Brown, Monroe, Maulaluga, DAvis, Gresham and Raji are all guys that would fit in really well to what we do. They've all got a little star power too. Playmaker type talent. Seems like a good year to have a top pick.

Orakpo is the guy I would not even consider. He is not going to be good in the NFL in my opinion.

RashanGary
12-24-2008, 08:18 AM
All of the top guys in the draft this year we don't have any use for. One is a monster OT (we tend to value versitile OL). Two are QB's. One is a corner (which would be nice, but not our biggest need). Two are WR's. One is an OLB and one is a 3-4 OLB.

Starting at player 9 are the players that fit best into what we do. There are a lot of juniors in the middle of round 1 that typically might not come out. There seems to be a lot of similarities (outside of Everette Brown who I think is a star) in the 10th rated guys and the 20th rated guys. This could be a great year to trade back and pick up another 2nd round pick. Two Collins/Jennings type players and a Spitz wouldn't hurt.

sheepshead
12-24-2008, 08:26 AM
If you read some posts here, looks like we need to draft some quarterbacks!

LL2
12-24-2008, 08:48 AM
Everette Brown is my guy. I'm not sure how good Eugene Monroe is, but I'd love to get better at OT too.

Everette Brown makes me nervous because the Pack got burned the last time they drafted a DE out of Florida State.

cpk1994
12-24-2008, 09:19 AM
Everette Brown is my guy. I'm not sure how good Eugene Monroe is, but I'd love to get better at OT too.so, if they draft him are you going to change your name to EveretteBrown? :lol:

Fritz
12-24-2008, 09:23 AM

I think it's going to be one of these guys here. My favorite is Everette Brown, but I like all of these guys and all fit into a 4-3/press type defense or a WCO. If ESPN has any clue, this draft could fall really well for us. Brown, Monroe, Maulaluga, DAvis, Gresham and Raji are all guys that would fit in really well to what we do. They've all got a little star power too. Playmaker type talent. Seems like a good year to have a top pick.

Orakpo is the guy I would not even consider. He is not going to be good in the NFL in my opinion.

I always find guys named "B.J." to be suspect.

GrnBay007
12-24-2008, 09:28 AM
Go 7th round! Right Fritz? :P :wink:

red
12-24-2008, 09:33 AM
a lot of the new mocks have us picking #9 and drafting orakpo

i would love this

LL2
12-24-2008, 10:14 AM

i would love this

From what I read here I would like it too!

http://www.redraiders.com/?p=2964

They say the guy is a beast and he earned his stats playing against top 25 schools. My dear is he becomes the 2009 draft version of Mario Williams and goes in the top 3.

prsnfoto
12-24-2008, 10:43 AM

i would love this

Just look for a guy projected in the early second round that's who TT will pick!

Gunakor
12-24-2008, 11:19 AM

i would love this

Just look for a guy projected in the early second round that's who TT will pick!

If he's picking in the top 10, he stays put. He won't trade out of the top 10.

red
12-24-2008, 12:27 PM

i would love this

If he's picking in the top 10, he stays put. He won't trade out of the top 10.

no, but he'll take the guy that none of us have ever heard of, who is projected to go in the second or third round

or

is there a stud lineman out there who has yet to play a game in college due to injury, but has size and potential?

sharpe1027
12-24-2008, 12:32 PM
no, but he'll take the guy that none of us have ever heard of, who is projected to go in the second or third round

or

is there a stud lineman out there who has yet to play a game in college due to injury, but has size and potential?

Or he'll take a guy projected to go exactly in the spot . . . just like he did with his last two high first round picks. :roll:

steve823
12-24-2008, 12:48 PM
No..TT will stay put for a pick this high. I think the combine will be what determines who the better de end is orakpo or brown.

steve823
12-24-2008, 12:51 PM
Aparrently Orakpo is a monster and he benched 625 lbs for a school record..dam

BallHawk
12-24-2008, 12:51 PM
OSACKPO!

Freak Out
12-24-2008, 01:07 PM
Orakpo or Maualuga if they are there when we draft....when we beat Detoilet we lose both these guys though........ :( maybe the DT Raji or the huge DE from LSU? Maybe the monster OT from Virginia?

RashanGary
12-24-2008, 01:08 PM

i would love this

He's smallish and has average speed. Sometimes a smallish guy with really good speed and leverage can use his speed to set up other moves. Orakpo is a smallish guy with no threat to turn the corner. He's going to get man handled in the NFL.

Everette Brown, on the other hand, is about the same size but much more explosive and faster. He'll be able to keep NFL OT's off balance with his blend of speed and array of impressive inside moves.

I do not like Orakpo, not one bit. I think he's very over rated. I'd take him in the 3rd round. I'm a huge fan of Everette Brown. He's legit top 10.

Freak Out
12-24-2008, 01:11 PM

i would love this

He's smallish and has average speed. Sometimes a smallish guy with really good speed and leverage can use his speed to set up other moves. Orakpo is a smallish guy with no threat to turn the corner. He's going to get man handled in the NFL.

Everette Brown, on the other hand, is about the same size but much more explosive and faster. He'll be able to keep NFL OT's off balance with his blend of speed and array of impressive inside moves.

I do not like Orakpo, not one bit. I think he's very over rated. I'd take him in the 3rd round. I'm a huge fan of Everette Brown. He's legit top 10.

Has he declared for the draft?

RashanGary
12-24-2008, 01:14 PM
Most Juniors with a chance at the first round are going to come out this year. Next year the NFL is talking about a rookie pay scale that will make all high picks much, much, much lower paid. If he doesn't come out I'd say he's a not very smart or didn't get the advice that all of the other top juniors are getting this year.

This year is supposed to blow the typical JR class away. Agents are telling guys if they don't come out now, they're not going to get any more next year, probably less. It's said to be a very deep draft because of all the extra JR talent!!

It's also very deep from 10-25 or so. It seems that many of the JR's that would normally go back with the chance of bumping from middle first to top of the first are coming out right now. It might be a great draft to trade back if another team covets a certain player or position enough to move up.

A first, two seconds and two third would be pretty great in this atypically deep first day draft.

RashanGary
12-24-2008, 01:21 PM
I'm a little worried about the Jags taking our pass rusher though. When we played them there pass rush seemed really poor. Hopefully after taking Derrick Harvey a year ago they won't want to spend another top 10 pick on a pass rushing DE. Hopefully they'll go a different route.

red
12-24-2008, 01:56 PM

i would love this

orakpo is smallish? he's 10 pounds hevier then brown and at 260 he has 8% body fat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGUc3UL64f0&feature=related

red
12-24-2008, 02:05 PM
my fear with brown is that we have LB's bigger then he is and he'll get his ass mauled in the pro's

orakpo, can put on a ton of weight with his body

i really don't need another kgb where 98% of the time he does nothing and its like we're playing with 10 guys on the field, and the other 2% he's getting sacks

orakpo has the freakish strength that won't be nullified in the pros as mush has above average college speed will

steve823
12-24-2008, 02:50 PM
Yea honestly if he can bench 625 hes no scrub. My only concern is that hew was injured afew times but regardless brown or orapo i dont care we need a great de.

RashanGary
12-24-2008, 03:46 PM
Watch them play. I don't see any good NFL defensive ends that play like Orakpo. I see Orakpo getting punk slapped by even average NfL LT's. He can't get around college OT's and hell never be strong enough to overpower NFL OT's. He's going to be engulfed on the next level.

I see several that play like Everette Brown including our very own Aaron Kampman and Osi Umynieora. Pity the fool that passed on Osi becuase he's only 261. Brown has a lot of room to grow. He's just a pup yet. This isn't Jamaal Reynolds. Brown has the frame to pack on good NFL weight.

red
12-24-2008, 04:15 PM
i think if you get orakpo/brown in the first and then somehow manage to get a guy like raji at the top of the second you have the makings of one hell of a dominate line for years to come

of course all that would change in a heartbeat for me if Mt. cody declares

texaspackerbacker
12-24-2008, 06:06 PM
I like the original idea here--getting Malcolm Jenkins. As they say, you can never have too many good corners, and in the case of the Packers, never too many great corners.

It's NOT going to be a D Lineman for several reasons:

First and foremost, I think Thompson is fairly satisfied with what he has there--even if a lot of others aren't, especially the outside pass rushers.

Second, getting anything other than a world class D-Lineman--a real Albert Haynesworth/Julius Peppers-type--would be no sure qualitative difference than what we have. And history shows, drafting somebody like that is tough. Super quality in college very rarely correlates with super quality in the NFL. To an extent, that's true with LBs also.

Thirdly, Thompson either just got burned with Harrell or else still has hope for Harrell. Either way, he ain't likely to go that route again.

We also are extremely unlikely to take an O Lineman in the high first round because the kind of guy you need in the ZBS is always going to be available lower down.

We also are pretty well stocked at linebacker, and I'm not all that convinced Maualuga is the best coming out. That can be misleading when you play with such great talent around you as he does with USC.

5-10 record notwithstanding, the Packers don't really have any obvious needs. I think we take an O Lineman or two second or more likely third or fourth or fifth. I think we take a D Tackle slightly lower--assuming we don't actually sign Haynesworth. I think we take a speedy RB in that same range as a change-of-pace type. I'd really like to see the Packers take Pat White or somebody very similar to get a capability for some spread or option type plays. I'm not holding my breath waiting for that, though. Safety, QB, WR, and TE are all extremely unlikely. Other than that, what else? A punter maybe? I doubt whether they use the draft for that.

hurleyfan
12-24-2008, 06:14 PM

Sorry JH, I hope we never draft another FSu D Lineman....

red
12-24-2008, 06:35 PM
I like the original idea here--getting Malcolm Jenkins. As they say, you can never have too many good corners, and in the case of the Packers, never too many great corners.

It's NOT going to be a D Lineman for several reasons:

First and foremost, I think Thompson is fairly satisfied with what he has there--even if a lot of others aren't, especially the outside pass rushers.

Second, getting anything other than a world class D-Lineman--a real Albert Haynesworth/Julius Peppers-type--would be no sure qualitative difference than what we have. And history shows, drafting somebody like that is tough. Super quality in college very rarely correlates with super quality in the NFL. To an extent, that's true with LBs also.

Thirdly, Thompson either just got burned with Harrell or else still has hope for Harrell. Either way, he ain't likely to go that route again.

We also are extremely unlikely to take an O Lineman in the high first round because the kind of guy you need in the ZBS is always going to be available lower down.

We also are pretty well stocked at linebacker, and I'm not all that convinced Maualuga is the best coming out. That can be misleading when you play with such great talent around you as he does with USC.

5-10 record notwithstanding, the Packers don't really have any obvious needs. I think we take an O Lineman or two second or more likely third or fourth or fifth. I think we take a D Tackle slightly lower--assuming we don't actually sign Haynesworth. I think we take a speedy RB in that same range as a change-of-pace type. I'd really like to see the Packers take Pat White or somebody very similar to get a capability for some spread or option type plays. I'm not holding my breath waiting for that, though. Safety, QB, WR, and TE are all extremely unlikely. Other than that, what else? A punter maybe? I doubt whether they use the draft for that.

if he really thinks our d-line is fine then we need to fire his ass right now before the draft and the start of free agency before he fucks the whole thing up

we've heard nonstop that you draft zbs linemen in the later rounds. well we've done that. and we now have a giant steaming pile of shit trying to protect a-rod. time to scrap that idea too as far as i'm concenred

as for malcolm jenkins, i'd be fine with him too. this is shaping up like 2 years ago where there were about 20 guys that i would have been happy getting in the first. and we end up drafting a fat tub of crap the can't, and never has, been able to stay healthy

RashanGary
12-24-2008, 06:36 PM

This is no shot at you, but rather at us "people".

This is an example of the weakness of the human brain. We tend to connect dots that should not be connected. One FSU DE stinking has nothing to do with the next FSU DE that comes along. Really, nothing.

RashanGary
12-24-2008, 06:37 PM
I agree, Red. If I'm Mark Murphy and Ted comes into my office saying, "We're all set on the DL", I fire him right there without having a backup plan or even backup thought in line. After I fire him I'd yell some obscenities in his direction and probably try to fight him on the spot.

If Ted is that utterly misguided, I was completely wrong in supporting him as long as I have.

b bulldog
12-24-2008, 06:55 PM
Ray Maualuga will be the best Dplayer in this draft. He reminds me of a more physical Junior Seau. I know we need Dlineman but could you imagine getting Haynesworth and have Maualuga in the middle? I hate any and all DL from FSU!

b bulldog
12-24-2008, 07:07 PM
IMO, Brown would be a better fit in a 3/.4 scheme as an OLB. He is fast, athletic, and good in space. He is a tweener and had 6 of his 9 sacks for the year in his last 3 games. Orakpo had 9 sacks in his first 8 games, he than got hurt and hasn't been quite the same since. In all honesty, both guys have question marks imo.

b bulldog
12-24-2008, 07:12 PM
Michael Johnson has the most potential imo but at 6'7", 250 lbs, he needs to add weight. He would be my pick of the three at the DE position. Brown would be third best imo.

b bulldog
12-24-2008, 07:15 PM
Brown = Wimbley

b bulldog
12-24-2008, 07:20 PM
Actually, all three have pretty big question marks in my opinion

red
12-24-2008, 07:29 PM
now that i think about it, i would really rather take a DE with the first pick

you get a stud all around DE that can get to the qb. you start him from day one and let him learn. then move cullen back to DT

now you've greatly improved two positions on the o-line.

imo jenkins is a much better tackle then he is an end

that then shores up our d-line and lets us focus our other high picks on other problems

RashanGary
12-24-2008, 09:16 PM
Brown = Wimbley

I don't think he's even close. Wimbley looks like KGB. Brown has a very different build. Brown is built more like a Kampman or Strahan. Brown plays strong. Strahan was only 255 but he played big. Brown is that way. He's not huge but he plays big. Wimbley was nothing like that.

b bulldog
12-24-2008, 09:56 PM
wHAT was meant was that both are best used in a 3/4 scheme at a olb position not a DE. In my opinion, he is not worth a top 10 pick, too many questions for a DE.

RashanGary
12-24-2008, 11:25 PM
wHAT was meant was that both are best used in a 3/4 scheme at a olb position not a DE. In my opinion, he is not worth a top 10 pick, too many questions for a DE.

I don't see him having to be used that way. Strahan was obviously a truely great player so I hate to compare him, but I do see him built that way. Just because he's explosive and fast doesn't mean he has to play 3-4 OLB. He's big enough to play defensive end. He'll get bigger too. I love the way he plays. He's a playmaker in my opinion and this years greatest pass rusher. He plays very well with his hands and has more than one move already. He's not scrawny like Wimbley. He's got thicker legs. He's going to fill out into a legit 4-3 DE. He's not the big 280 guy, but he's big enough and brings other big time qualities.

SnakeLH2006
12-25-2008, 01:43 AM
"If I was TT" who would I pick....I'd trade down 4 times to get two 3rds, two 4ths, and eight 7th round picks...Then I could assemble a "my" team of dudes that will play for me (not the money) and maybe 1 pans out into being a starter in 3 years and I get all the glory. :shock: :lol:

We'll see...I'm just hoping Brettie makes the playoffs to get a 2nd, as we are gauranteed a top 10 pick right not with our shitty record and could go as high as 5th if we lose and everyone wins (doubtful)..What a crap of a year though. :cry:

texaspackerbacker
12-25-2008, 02:09 AM
You guys really think you can find a DE who is GUARANTEED to be a large upgrade from Kampman, Jenkins, Montgomery, Thompson, Hunter, etc.? Dream on. All these guys mentioned look like Jamal Reynolds picks waiting to happen. What round was Strahan drafted in? Kampman? Will Allen? Most of the rest of the quality DEs in recent history? There are half a dozen flops for every high first round success, and anybody with half a brain knows that.

The same is true for the kind of heavy duty DTs we and most of the rest of the NFL needs. They simply are in short supply. Getting Haynesworth would be nice, but as for drafting a Haynesworth clone, good luck. You are about as likely to find one in the 5th - 7th round as in the first. College success just doesn't translate to pro success in most cases.

Corner, on the other hand, is a position where there is a good correlation of college success to being a good or great pro.

As for our O Line that some whiners and panic-stricken fools like to think is so horrible, The performance of our offense last year and this year says otherwise. We've had injuries there too, and a lack of playing together, but the O Line overall has been pretty decent--better than all but a few around the league. Tearing it down or scrapping the ZBS would be foolhardy

I say again, the Packers really don't have any pressing needs--a few backups, a few "luxury items", that's about it. Just getting what we have healthy and not having the horrendous bad luck of injuries next year like this one will be enough to bring the Packers right back to the top.

Thompson knows that; McCarthy knows that; Murphy knows that; I know that; And undoubtedly, most Packer fans with a lick of sense know that.

SnakeLH2006
12-25-2008, 02:27 AM
You guys really think you can find a DE who is GUARANTEED to be a large upgrade from Kampman, Jenkins, Montgomery, Thompson, Hunter, etc.? Dream on. All these guys mentioned look like Jamal Reynolds picks waiting to happen. What round was Strahan drafted in? Kampman? Will Allen? Most of the rest of the quality DEs in recent history? There are half a dozen flops for every high first round success, and anybody with half a brain knows that.

The same is true for the kind of heavy duty DTs we and most of the rest of the NFL needs. They simply are in short supply. Getting Haynesworth would be nice, but as for drafting a Haynesworth clone, good luck. You are about as likely to find one in the 5th - 7th round as in the first. College success just doesn't translate to pro success in most cases.

Corner, on the other hand, is a position where there is a good correlation of college success to being a good or great pro.

As for our O Line that some whiners and panic-stricken fools like to think is so horrible, The performance of our offense last year and this year says otherwise. We've had injuries there too, and a lack of playing together, but the O Line overall has been pretty decent--better than all but a few around the league. Tearing it down or scrapping the ZBS would be foolhardy

I say again, the Packers really don't have any pressing needs--a few backups, a few "luxury items", that's about it. Just getting what we have healthy and not having the horrendous bad luck of injuries next year like this one will be enough to bring the Packers right back to the top.

Thompson knows that; McCarthy knows that; Murphy knows that; I know that; And undoubtedly, most Packer fans with a lick of sense know that.

To even draft a DL who can be a force in his first year is foolhardy, yes, to draft one who an upgrade to Montgomery (who has been a fool getting beat hard EVERY week he's played, get a DVR if you don't think so) Hunter...what has he done....Thompson, what has he done? OK.....We can get upgrades in all those in the draft and esp. FA but I doubt we do that.

Cb's...I totally agree...it's been this way for 20 years in the draft....top college CB's = good/awesome NFL DB's....

O-Line.....we differ here...Our talent/coaching OL talent = the suck......man, I really beg to differ here as the best teams in the NFL have good ass OL and DL....we have neither.....most don't have the skill positions at DB and WR we have,but it doesn't matter (Tenn, NYG) cuz they dominate the OL and DL....We are 5-10 with "good' skill postions...but they are (13-2 and 12-3) with shity skill positions and awesome OL and DL...IT MATTERS...Get some coaches and a GM that upgrades that shit at FA with a DL or OL and we'll talk....or keep going with TT who wants to upgrade over the course of years with the draft..... DaMn..........This is so easy to see..Even a caveman could do it.

packrulz
12-25-2008, 05:59 AM
Taucher is hurt, getting older, his contract is up, Clifton is getting old, his knees are shot, I think it's a no-brainer to take Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia. Moll hasn't done well replacing Taucher, College might be ok at right tackle but you need a stud that can protect ARod's blindside, or you can forget about the defense. None of these smurf DE's impress me, not in the top 10.

b bulldog
12-25-2008, 09:11 AM
I agree with the assetion above that the DE's are huge question marks, that is why I would take Luga to man the middle. He is a very talented LB and has the toughness this D lacks.

RashanGary
12-25-2008, 10:03 AM
I'm not a big Maulaluga fan. Reminds me of Hawk. Nothing special. He's a good player. Better than what we have so I wouldn't be upset, but he's not going to be a great player in my opinion. Aaron Curry plays with a lot more impact but he should be long gone by the time we pick.

Everette Brown is a stud pass rusher. Jermaine Gresham looks like a star TE. Vontae Davis? Tough to say, I haven't seen him play. If he's a star corner, maybe. Jenkins will be gone so that's out of the question. Eugene Monroe looks pretty good. He has a lot of highlights and does really well in them. It's tough to grade an offensive lineman to me. He's a possibility based on the draftniks.

I'd say Everette Brown, Jermaine Gresham, Terrence Cody based on what I see or Eugene Monroe or Vontae Davis based on the draftniks are the best bets. There are going to be impact players after pick 8. We just have to make that pick even if it's outside the box.

steve823
12-25-2008, 01:35 PM
I'm not a big Maulaluga fan. Reminds me of Hawk. Nothing special. He's a good player. Better than what we have so I wouldn't be upset, but he's not going to be a great player in my opinion. Aaron Curry plays with a lot more impact but he should be long gone by the time we pick.

Everette Brown is a stud pass rusher. Jermaine Gresham looks like a star TE. Vontae Davis? Tough to say, I haven't seen him play. If he's a star corner, maybe. Jenkins will be gone so that's out of the question. Eugene Monroe looks pretty good. He has a lot of highlights and does really well in them. It's tough to grade an offensive lineman to me. He's a possibility based on the draftniks.

I'd say Everette Brown, Jermaine Gresham, Terrence Cody based on what I see or Eugene Monroe or Vontae Davis based on the draftniks are the best bets. There are going to be impact players after pick 8. We just have to make that pick even if it's outside the box.

Jenkins might not be gone so dont count him out. And Terrence Cody is leaning towards going back for naother year but hopefully hell declare

Partial
12-25-2008, 01:43 PM

Luga is nothing like Hawk. I honestly don't see a single comparison besides being similiar athletes. Luga is a much better blitzer/pass rusher, and is HUGE. He is far thicker than Hawk at 260-270. He is the perfect MLB.

b bulldog
12-25-2008, 10:59 PM
Agree, anyone who thinks Ray is similar to Hawk has not seen many SC games. Physical, tough, tackling machine! James Larenitas reminds me of Hawk.

Partial
12-26-2008, 02:23 AM

This is an example of the weakness of the human brain. We tend to connect dots that should not be connected. One FSU DE stinking has nothing to do with the next FSU DE that comes along. Really, nothing.

Go look up the long history of FSU busts at this position, then. www.google.com

Also, how can a stud pass rusher spend the majority of his seaosn with 3 sacks? Mario was unblockable... DUD!

packrulz
12-26-2008, 06:39 AM

I just want that first pick to be money in the bank, there are several good OT in this draft, (Oher, the Smith boys, Monroe), and that might cause Jenkins to slip, I'd be thrilled with him. Another poster put up this link for mock drafts last year, I know it's early yet but I bookmarked it: http://hailredskins.com/MockDraft.htm

pack4to84
12-26-2008, 07:10 AM

I just want that first pick to be money in the bank, there are several good OT in this draft, (Oher, the Smith boys, Monroe), and that might cause Jenkins to slip, I'd be thrilled with him. Another poster put up this link for mock drafts last year, I know it's early yet but I bookmarked it: http://hailredskins.com/MockDraft.htmThat is why you draft Mays USC. He is similar to Rouse with lot more speed. Lott type hitter too. I think S have been the safe impact pick in the last few drafts. A lot of S have gotten draft the last few years and made an impact there first season.

To me the DE's in this draft have too many question marks. George Selvie after his no show performance in most mock draft has dropped out of the 1st RD. Needing a good combine to move back up.

cheesner
12-26-2008, 10:34 AM

And sometimes the human brain fails by trying to analyze with logic too often. If the pattern is there, then its more than likely is something causing it. You don't have to identify it to know that it is there.

There could be potentially a defensive scheme that allows DEs to shine. There could be an asst coach that is slipping something into the DEs gatorade. There could be a consistent issue with the opposing OL of conf teams.

rbaloha1
12-26-2008, 02:49 PM
Agreed. Packers need d-linemen and linebackers.

Luga is better than Hawk because Luga is nastier and plays with reckless abandon. Hawk is overly concerned with assignments thus no impact plays.

Brandon Spikes from Florida is a prospect who is much more disciplined than Luga and possibly a better fit for TT's type of l-backers.

Bretsky
12-26-2008, 05:56 PM
GOSH IT SUCKS TO TALK DRAFT IN DECEMBER :!:

texaspackerbacker
12-26-2008, 06:28 PM
Taucher is hurt, getting older, his contract is up, Clifton is getting old, his knees are shot, I think it's a no-brainer to take Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia. Moll hasn't done well replacing Taucher, College might be ok at right tackle but you need a stud that can protect ARod's blindside, or you can forget about the defense. None of these smurf DE's impress me, not in the top 10.

This post makes more sense than the others talking about DEs and LBs. I suppose if you get a near-sure thing stud OT--mobility in addition to power, he could be successful in the Packers version of ZBS--kind of a Clifton in his prime. I'm still not sure Thompson will see a need to use a high first rounder to get such a lineman, though, and although Monroe looks like a good one, even he is not very close to 100% to be an early success.

An outstanding cover corner is still the best bet. A lot of these mock drafts have Jenkins being gone by the Packers pick, but Vontae Davis sounds like he could turn out to be even better--assuming he doesn't get dragged down by character issues. I haven't heard anything negative about him, but he is Vernon's brother.

I say again, there's nothing wrong with the Packers D that getting back Barnett, Jenkins, and the various other injuries at full strength won't cure.

And hell yeah, there won't be any reason to talk about Bob Sanders in a couple of weeks. There's actually no damn reason now. Stock, on the other hand, may need to go, as special teams problems seem a lot less related to injuries and other bad luck.

rbaloha1
12-26-2008, 09:28 PM
The Texas DE which many mock drafts are projecting would be a nice addition.

Joemailman
12-26-2008, 10:02 PM
A lot of people now seem to think that Orakpo will be gone when the Packers pick. Football's Future has the Packers taking Jason Smith/OT/Baylor in the 1st round. http://www.footballsfuture.com/2009/nflmockdraft.html With Tauscher an injured free agent and Clifton a free agent next year, it's a possibility. OT, DE and LB look pretty strong in the 1st half of the 1st round this year.

Bretsky
12-26-2008, 10:09 PM
A lot of people now seem to think that Orakpo will be gone when the Packers pick. Football's Future has the Packers taking Jason Smith/OT/Baylor in the 1st round. http://www.footballsfuture.com/2009/nflmockdraft.html With Tauscher an injured free agent and Clifton a free agent next year, it's a possibility. OT, DE and LB look pretty strong in the 1st half of the 1st round this year.

Could happen, but it'd be disappointing to me to see a OT in round one

Joemailman
12-26-2008, 10:21 PM
It's natural for people to want to see defensive help drafted given what has happened this year. However, if TT feels the guy has the potential to be a standout LT, that could be hard to pass up.

Harlan Huckleby
12-26-2008, 10:22 PM
Daren Colledge is going to be a standout LT.

They need defensive linemen like oxygen.

Bretsky
12-26-2008, 10:25 PM
It's natural for people to want to see defensive help drafted given what has happened this year. However, if TT feels the guy has the potential to be a standout LT, that could be hard to pass up.

TT's mojo is best available player; it would make me sick though.

Joemailman
12-26-2008, 10:33 PM

Maybe, but what if the top couple of DE's are gone when the Packers pick? There probably aren't any DT's this year worthy of the #8 pick. I wouldn't mind trading down and taking Raji.

Bretsky
12-26-2008, 11:40 PM

Maybe, but what if the top couple of DE's are gone when the Packers pick? There probably aren't any DT's this year worthy of the #8 pick. I wouldn't mind trading down and taking Raji.

The Defensive Side of the ball needs young playmakers

LB, DE, DL, S....take your choice. One will be there at #10

SnakeLH2006
12-26-2008, 11:59 PM

I love ya Bretsky, but are you serious? Our #1 position we need an upfusion of talent in Tackle/OL...Damn I can't wait till we take a Joe Thomas type to upgrade the shoddy pass protects with the injured/old Tauchy/Cliffy combo and get someone that can open a hole for the RB's. For real, that needs to happen soon. This OL is a wreck and need a passrusher, but those take a year or two to develop, so I'd rather a stud ass OL in the top 10 right now by far. LB not so concerned as it's average, but the OL and DL are very much the cause of our digress in 2008. DL could come in FA if TT shows some nuts and gets one for the money....doubt it, but it's hard to upgrade with a rook on DL, but easily done on OL..Damn Joe Thomas was an All-Pro last year as a LT. Get one off them and we are set.

DonHutson
12-27-2008, 08:17 AM
I say again, there's nothing wrong with the Packers D that getting back Barnett, Jenkins, and the various other injuries at full strength won't cure.

How many more years can we rely on Jenkins and Harrell to be healthy? We need to plan the off-season as if they won't be available. If they manage to stay healthy next year, that's a bonus. Montgomery has been here for a while now. I think what we see is what we get with him - just a guy. Jeremy Thompson should have some upside, but he didn't offer anything but a warm body on the field this year.

DE is the biggest need on this team. DT is virtually the same story. You need three, preferably four, capable players to rotate and the Packers have one, Pickett, that they can rely on.

Whether these needs correlate to a #1 pick or not depends on who is available at the time. A promising LT would be hard to pass on. If someone at another position is head and shoulders better than the rest, then it could be a CB or even a TE. But at this point it looks like DE and LT could provide plenty of options in round one.

DonHutson
12-27-2008, 08:27 AM

That's a gamble I'm pretty uncomfortable with.

I'd agree that LT is probably going to be Colledge's best position. I might go so far as to predict that he will be a capable LT. But standout? I'd put those odds at around 20%.

We've gotten burned a few years in a row waiting for the OL projects we draft to grow into their jobs. The results have been pretty sporadic (ahem...Campen...) and we've only added more projects. I agree that DL is the bigger need, but if there's a standout LT that feels like a safer pick then that's not a bad way to go either.

RashanGary
12-27-2008, 08:34 AM
Well said DH. The way things are shaping up, I think DE and LT are shaping up to be our best bets.

More specifically, I'd narrow it down (based on draft resources and youtube) to Everette Brown and Eugene Monroe.

After that; I think Terrence Cody DT, Jermaine Gresham TE and Vontae Davis CB have chances. I think Ted would take another stab at a fat ass DT even though it's always a huge risk. Ted has a little gambler in him.

DonHutson
12-27-2008, 08:40 AM
Well said DH. The way things are shaping up, I think DE and LT are shaping up to be our best bets.

More specifically, I'd narrow it down (based on draft resources and youtube) to Everette Brown and Eugene Monroe.

After that; I think Terrence Cody DT, Jermaine Gresham and Terrence Cody have chances. I think Ted would take another stab at a fat ass DT even though it's always a huge risk. Ted has a little gambler in him.

ESPN.com is listing two red-shirt sophomores on their draft list that could be intriguing to the Packers: DE Aaron Maybin from Penn State, and DT Gerald McCoy from Oklahoma.

JH, or anyone else, what's the story on those two? They're just on the list at ESPN - no description. I've seen Maybin a little bit, he's certainly been productive but I worry that he's a one year wonder. I don't really know anything about the kid from Oklahoma. It's also not a sure thing that these two a coming out this year.

RashanGary
12-27-2008, 09:03 AM
Aaron Maybin and Gerald McCoy look like good players. It looks to me like Maybin is a prototype 3-4 OLB but I haven't seen him play. Maybe he's got a big frame, but hasn't grown into it, in his short 21 years. I know Everette Brown is a guy that isn't big enough now, but you can clearly see the frame to add good weight as he makes that next step to the NFL.

Gerald McCoy looks like a prototype 3-technique tackle. I don't know what our offseason plans are with the defense, but our current defense tends to value the real big frames that can eat blockers while our DE's tend to be a little lighter and rush hard at the QB. He doesn't seem like a great fit for what we're looking for, but if he's a great player maybe we adjust or maybe we get a whole new defense this year anyway.

To answer your question, no, I don't know a whole lot about either.

Bretsky
12-27-2008, 09:09 AM

I love ya Bretsky, but are you serious? Our #1 position we need an upfusion of talent in Tackle/OL...Damn I can't wait till we take a Joe Thomas type to upgrade the shoddy pass protects with the injured/old Tauchy/Cliffy combo and get someone that can open a hole for the RB's. For real, that needs to happen soon. This OL is a wreck and need a passrusher, but those take a year or two to develop, so I'd rather a stud ass OL in the top 10 right now by far. LB not so concerned as it's average, but the OL and DL are very much the cause of our digress in 2008. DL could come in FA if TT shows some nuts and gets one for the money....doubt it, but it's hard to upgrade with a rook on DL, but easily done on OL..Damn Joe Thomas was

an All-Pro last year as a LT. Get one off them and we are set.

I think both the OL and DL have needs; but to me it seems that we at least have some promising young OL and I see DL as weaker overall than the OL. I don't see promising young players on the DL side yet. We could shoot for a OL and DL starter in free agency; in fact I hope we get a solid DL player in FA and round one.

Basically we're weak in the trenches on both sides and that makes us a finesse team; that needs to change

RashanGary
12-27-2008, 09:16 AM
Basically we're weak in the trenches on both sides and that makes us a finesse team; that needs to change

I think that's the #1 thing this bad year did for our team. How easy was it to overlook our wimpy team when we were winning finesse games? It was very easy. I'm not so sure Ted can go to sleep at night and think our run unit and run stopping unit are anywhere close to good enough.

Just about every team that wins a championship has a good, powerful running attack and a top 3 defense. We have neither. We can win games. We could have won a few more this year but we'll never win a championship as long as we are as weak up front as we are now. That HAS to change. I really want DL, but if we could get a strong LT that can pass block and pave the way in the run game for a long time, I'd also be ecstatic. Clifton is an awful run blocker. Our whole run game changes if we replace him and Wells with powerful blockers. Wells will be gone with Sitton sliding in. Replace Clifton in the draft and I think our offense is in the top 3.

ND72
12-27-2008, 02:26 PM

OH

MY

F'IN

GOD

YES!

ND72
12-27-2008, 02:28 PM

Something about a highly ranked DE from Florida State scares me...

ND72
12-27-2008, 02:38 PM

Luga is better than Hawk because Luga is nastier and plays with reckless abandon. Hawk is overly concerned with assignments thus no impact plays.

Brandon Spikes from Florida is a prospect who is much more disciplined than Luga and possibly a better fit for TT's type of l-backers.

See, this is not what I get about our defense...Hawk WAS that guy in college. #1 - I think Hawk has been more injured this year than many know....but also, #2 - I think Vanilla Bob keeps Hawk held down in THINKING too much, and not playing.

My buddy & I were talking about this a few weeks back, Hawk plays like a MLB should, assignment correct, but needs more aggression than he has, and Barnett plays like a WLB should, plays with no thought process, just plays.

WHICH, by the way, whill be why they don't draft Luga. With Hawk, Barnett, Poop, & Chillar on staff, they have a lot of $$$ tied into our LB corp, they won't draft a LB in the 1st round unless it is for the SLB (Poop's) position.

Right now, I'm even thinking they will take OL, or DB. Unless there is some stud RB there, because I still don't think Grant is the answer. I still like Jackson, but he isn't an everydown guy.

Bretsky
12-27-2008, 02:43 PM

See, this is not what I get about our defense...Hawk WAS that guy in college. #1 - I think Hawk has been more injured this year than many know....but also, #2 - I think Vanilla Bob keeps Hawk held down in THINKING too much, and not playing.

My buddy & I were talking about this a few weeks back, Hawk plays like a MLB should, assignment correct, but needs more aggression than he has, and Barnett plays like a WLB should, plays with no thought process, just plays.

WHICH, by the way, whill be why they don't draft Luga. With Hawk, Barnett, Poop, & Chillar on staff, they have a lot of $$$ tied into our LB corp, they won't draft a LB in the 1st round unless it is for the SLB (Poop's) position.

Right now, I'm even thinking they will take OL, or DB. Unless there is some stud RB there, because I still don't think Grant is the answer. I still like Jackson, but he isn't an everydown guy.

What about DL ? We have a lot of pedestrians on that side of the ball as well. The safety from USC also seems like the real deal though

red
12-27-2008, 02:52 PM
well for those that are interested there will be a couple of good DE prospects going head to head on espn in about 40 minutes from now when wisconsin takes on FSU

digitaldean
12-27-2008, 03:00 PM
Though TT's philosophy is to build through the draft, there should be no question that he HAS to have 1 to 2 high impact players for 2009 season.

OLine is a definite need, so is DLine. LB? The one with all the hype is Mauleuga (assuming that's the "luga' you're referring to). We need a less cerebral D and D that can set the tone, that can intimidate. To me Mauleuga is in the mold that Polamolu was for the secondary.

To me Poppinga has ZERO, ZIP, NADA in the instinct category. He is an overachieving special teamer at LB. Chillar wasn't super-consistent but I'd take him over Poppinga. Move out Poop and bring someone in who has his motor, but the instincts of a Polamolu. Mauleuga is that guy.

Vanilla Bob's D doesn't cut it. Blitzes rarely worked this year because they were poorly disguised and poorly executed. There are plenty of DC's out there who play press coverage and can do a better job than Sanders. Yes, we had a multitude of injuries, but our depth was not there talentwise. That's on TT. Also we tried changing our type of defense to compensate for that. That experiment has blown up in our face, that's on Sanders.

We do need a more active role for TE, and that may have to come via trade or FA. I wouldn't put my team's success in the hands of the TE's we have now. Lee is servicable, but not a big enough playmaker. Humphrey is just a body and Finley (save his lone 35 yard reception vs Chicago) has been more of a detriment than a help.

We came so close to get Gonzo then KC pulled their last second stunt to nix the deal. The guy has 96 catches on an absolutely pathetic Chiefs team. How much more would've his veteran presence helped this year? But, I digress.

Both MM and TT, are on an a big-ass hotseat for next season. An influx of new talent is needed to replace some starters and build depth in others. They do need to hit the right buttons or their tenure here won't be long.

ND72
12-27-2008, 04:02 PM

What about DL ? We have a lot of pedestrians on that side of the ball as well. The safety from USC also seems like the real deal though

Don't get me wrong here, I would LOVE Luga. I think Barnett, Hawk, & Luga would be an amazing 3 corp....BUT, I think one thing we have issues with is our talent on the DL. good LBers are good because of the guys up front. When Urlacher was the amazing player he was, he had 2 stud DT's in front of him. Losing Jenkins hurt us a lot this year, maybe more than many would know, probably even more than losing Barnett. I don't think Jolly was as good as advertised, and Pickett was not the Pickett of 2007. in 2007, he was a stud, 2008, he was invisible. Kampman gets double teamed if not triple teamed every down most times, and he has had a reputation to fade off as the season goes because he gets so beat up.

Our blitz packages are jokes, and pointless. I would love to get a stud DL guy, but personally I think DL is as big of a crapshoot finding a stud as any position in the NFL.

I like Collins, Harris, & Woodson...but would love to find some LaRon Landry type Safety to put in place of Bigby, who I never really liked, and Rouse, who I like, but has been hampered by injury and a case of the "Sanders"....aka, playing to vanilla.

Overall, I really think & hope that Teddy finds some defensive guys. I'm so sick of seeing guys like Chris Johnson, Chris Gamble, Adrian Peterson, Felix Jones, etc.etc.etc...get picked up and we never get that stud player, that game changing player that so many teams have.

RashanGary
12-27-2008, 06:15 PM
The Badgers played away from Everette Brown all day. They doubled, rolled to the right, ran and basically gave him no opportunity to rush the passer.

At the end, with Wisconsin down, they finally had to do some straight drop back passing. Everette Brown showed off his studly inside spin move to get a sack and fumble.

He's a hell of a player. More than just a speed rusher. He's a strong dude, plays well with his hands and has multiple counter moves to go along with his speed rush.

RashanGary
12-27-2008, 06:19 PM
Another sweet power move by Brown. He rushed outside, spun, then tossed the Badger OG aside, almost on his ass. Powerful dude. I don't care what his weight is listed at. He's out there bitch slapping 320 lb OL. He's got a big enough frame and he plays with power. Nuff said as far as I'm concerned.

DonHutson
12-27-2008, 07:04 PM
Brown did not remind me of Jamal Reynolds. He looks like a real football player. I wanted to be impressed by him, but I now I wonder if he'll even be available.

RashanGary
12-27-2008, 07:43 PM
Brown did not remind me of Jamal Reynolds. He looks like a real football player. I wanted to be impressed by him, but I now I wonder if he'll even be available.

Yup. If Jacksonville picks before us they could easily take him. He's a real 4-3 DE. He doesn't look like a linebacker. I know what his weight is listed at, but you can see he's got a bigger frame than a LB and he plays with a lot of power and explosion.

He's my guy this year and if things hold true to usual, he'll be gone and we'll get some average LB that people think is great because his weight is high.

digitaldean
12-27-2008, 08:57 PM
It's not like we don't have an extra draft pick or two. If a player of a certain talent level is avaiilable, pull the trigger and move up.

Watched part of the Champs Bowl debacle. Brown did look impressive.

The DLine and OLine are the most pressing needs. Yes, if they can get Mauleuga, I'm for it. But we need players in NOW that have a high motor and high instinct for the game. We do not have the luxury of drafting any more projects like Harrell.

Partial
12-28-2008, 12:28 AM
The Badgers played away from Everette Brown all day. They doubled, rolled to the right, ran and basically gave him no opportunity to rush the passer.

At the end, with Wisconsin down, they finally had to do some straight drop back passing. Everette Brown showed off his studly inside spin move to get a sack and fumble.

He's a hell of a player. More than just a speed rusher. He's a strong dude, plays well with his hands and has multiple counter moves to go along with his speed rush.

They ran RIGHT at him. He was awful. He had one good pass rush during the game, then he had one more decent play. The rest of the time he was blown up consistently.

He was not a factor at all tonight. He was more invisible than anything. The Badgers blocked him effectively using only a TE for the majority of plays.

Graham made him his bitch all day. He had the one big play, and that was more a result of Sherer than anything.

He seems to have Rey Lewis syndrome of getting credit for half tackles simply by piling on at the end. He was NOT very effective imo. I was not impressed, and wouldn't touch him on the first day with a ten foot pole.

Brown was the 2nd best end on the field at best. Shaughnessy looks longer, thicker, and appears to be equally if not more athletic. I'm interested in knowing what the other viewers think of this.

I give him a big "No Thanks!"

texaspackerbacker
12-28-2008, 09:46 AM
A big Hell Yeah to you, Partial. I was reading down, wondering if these people had been watching the same Wisconsin/Florida State game I watched. Finally, you said basically what I was thinking about Everette Brown--a few good plays, but mostly, handled without too much difficulty all day--and particularly ineffective against the run.

Shaughnessy looked good, but he hasn't played that well most of the season, and I think, he too, is not really an obvious step upward from what we have now. He should be a good 3rd or 4th rounder for somebody, though.

ND72
12-28-2008, 09:53 AM
Agreed with Partial & Tex....Badgers were running right at Brown. In fact 3 of Wisconsin's big runs were going directly at Brown who twice got pancaked on the play. I was MORE impressed with FSU's other DE than I was with Brown.

texaspackerbacker
12-28-2008, 10:19 AM
Though TT's philosophy is to build through the draft, there should be no question that he HAS to have 1 to 2 high impact players for 2009 season.

OLine is a definite need, so is DLine. LB? The one with all the hype is Mauleuga (assuming that's the "luga' you're referring to). We need a less cerebral D and D that can set the tone, that can intimidate. To me Mauleuga is in the mold that Polamolu was for the secondary.

To me Poppinga has ZERO, ZIP, NADA in the instinct category. He is an overachieving special teamer at LB. Chillar wasn't super-consistent but I'd take him over Poppinga. Move out Poop and bring someone in who has his motor, but the instincts of a Polamolu. Mauleuga is that guy.

Vanilla Bob's D doesn't cut it. Blitzes rarely worked this year because they were poorly disguised and poorly executed. There are plenty of DC's out there who play press coverage and can do a better job than Sanders. Yes, we had a multitude of injuries, but our depth was not there talentwise. That's on TT. Also we tried changing our type of defense to compensate for that. That experiment has blown up in our face, that's on Sanders.

We do need a more active role for TE, and that may have to come via trade or FA. I wouldn't put my team's success in the hands of the TE's we have now. Lee is servicable, but not a big enough playmaker. Humphrey is just a body and Finley (save his lone 35 yard reception vs Chicago) has been more of a detriment than a help.

We came so close to get Gonzo then KC pulled their last second stunt to nix the deal. The guy has 96 catches on an absolutely pathetic Chiefs team. How much more would've his veteran presence helped this year? But, I digress.

Both MM and TT, are on an a big-ass hotseat for next season. An influx of new talent is needed to replace some starters and build depth in others. They do need to hit the right buttons or their tenure here won't be long.

Dean, I can't even count how many ways I disagree with your post.

We "tried changing our type of defense"? When did that happen?

We lack depth of talent on D? And you don't think injuries had anything to do with that? Tramon Williams stepping in for Harris; Rouse doing the job for Bigby--'til he got hurt too; Bishop coming through when Barnett went down; I would say Montgomery for Jenkins, but I guess nobody else but me has any respect for his performance. I call that quality depth. Could we use more? Sure, who couldn't. Could we use a superstar in the middle of the line like Haynesworth? Hell Yeah--but probably not at the backbreaking cost that would entail. |Blaming Thompson for the breakdown on D is almost as ludicrous as blaming Sanders. The Sanders scheme SAVED US FROM FAR WORSE CONSEQUENCES after the injuries than what we had.

Popinnga wasn't great, and didn't improve this year like I expected, but as a third LB, he, in tandem with Chillar, was decent. Get Mauleluga and use him as a strongside OLB? I don't think so. And as I said before, you take somebody who is surrounded by the best collection of college defensive players in the country at USC, and he just might be looking better than he actually is.

Bigby minus the injuries being anything other than an ideal safety? He was an excellent coverage guy when healthy, and a decent tackler/run stopper. THAT is the kind of safety you need--not some highlight film big hitter who can't cover. Rouse? He was an excellent big hitter with decent and improving coverage skills.

TE usage? You don't suppose it has something to do with the Packers having the finest corps of wideouts in the league, and Kansas City not having that? Are you going to set up Tony G as a fullback in max protection, as the Packers occasionally find necessary? I doubt it. Lee was decent; Humphrey made the best of limited ability; And Finley was a college sophomore coming out who still has the prospect of a great future.

Thompson/McCarthy/Sanders on the "hotseat"? Only in the eyes of IDIOTS. If we get everybody back healthy and don't have a similar outbreak of the bad luck of injuries next season, and the team then ends up with 5 or 6 wins, yes, THEN those guys will be on the "hotseat". But if the team is healthy next season, I don't care if we get absolutely nothing in the draft or free agency, we will still be right up there with last year's 13-3 team.

wist43
12-28-2008, 10:23 AM
We need defensive help everywhere...

Which is exactly why I think TT takes a RB in the 1st round. Don't need a RB... has to be the pick :)

DonHutson
12-29-2008, 07:17 PM
Here's what I saw out of Brown. He's not just a speed guy. He's fast and quick, but he also knows how to use his hands, he knows how to use leverage, he has a variety of moves, and he seems to have a nose for the football.

So to me, the Jamal Reynolds comparisons seem completely unfounded. Reynolds was strictly a speed guy. When his speed wasn't enough in the NFL he was unable or unwilling to develop anything else. Brown already has a variety of moves. He also seems to have the football player mentality that Reynolds lacked.

Did Brown get knocked backwards by some guys who outweighed him 70 pounds? Sure. But even if he never develops into an everydown DE (though I think he could grow into the job), he still might be worth the pick as a designated pass rusher as long as he excels at the role.

Is he THE guy for Green Bay? I don't know yet. But he should be in the discussion. This team had a shitload of INTs this year with no pass rush at all. Imagine if we could actually start forcing some bad throws.

swede
12-29-2008, 09:12 PM
To correct a little misinformation about Orakpo...someone mistated Orakpo's strength as measured by bench press.

Orakpo will put some of those skills to use on Saturday, when he takes part in another heavyweight matchup with Texas Tech left tackle Rylan Reed, a 26-year-old senior who measures 6-7 and 314 pounds. Reed has benched pressed a Tech-record 625 pounds, while the smaller Orakpo benches 515 pounds.

steve823
12-29-2008, 09:22 PM
Yea your right..515 lbs is pretty bad...man even i can bench more then him :?

swede
12-29-2008, 09:27 PM
Yea your right..515 lbs is pretty bad...man even i can bench more then him :?

Someone had attributed the 625 lb bench press to Orakpo.

I wasn't hatin' on the weakling. Just correcting a factual error of more than 100lbs on what the dude benches.

As long as we're playing fast and loose with numbers, Orakpo also runs a 4.2 40 yard dash.

SnakeLH2006
12-30-2008, 12:22 AM

I love ya Bretsky, but are you serious? Our #1 position we need an upfusion of talent in Tackle/OL...Damn I can't wait till we take a Joe Thomas type to upgrade the shoddy pass protects with the injured/old Tauchy/Cliffy combo and get someone that can open a hole for the RB's. For real, that needs to happen soon. This OL is a wreck and need a passrusher, but those take a year or two to develop, so I'd rather a stud ass OL in the top 10 right now by far. LB not so concerned as it's average, but the OL and DL are very much the cause of our digress in 2008. DL could come in FA if TT shows some nuts and gets one for the money....doubt it, but it's hard to upgrade with a rook on DL, but easily done on OL..Damn Joe Thomas was

an All-Pro last year as a LT. Get one off them and we are set.

I think both the OL and DL have needs; but to me it seems that we at least have some promising young OL and I see DL as weaker overall than the OL. I don't see promising young players on the DL side yet. We could shoot for a OL and DL starter in free agency; in fact I hope we get a solid DL player in FA and round one.

Agreed both lines are weak...the problem is this...In FA this year, it looks to be that DL is stronger and OL is weak....Normally it's far easier to get a FA DL with gamechanging ability than OL. Rookie OL in the top 10 tend to blossom quickly (Joe Thomas, et al) yet rook DL (Harrell, Reynolds, etc.) tend to bust or take a long time to develop regardless of how high they are picked.

I'm thus, inclined to go with an OT as we need two quick-like and that could only enhance Arod's development. Yes, we are slightly weaker at DL, but I'd take my chances on FA to get one for the money (we have it) and go nuts-out on a stud OL (most mock drafts have had 3 OT's in the top 5-7 picks all year)...Let's do that and hope TT shows some nuts and some money in getting a top notch DT or DE in FA. I agree with your assessment of the OL and DL, just saying as far as draft we are much better to get an OL that can be a stud quickly. 8-)

packrulz
12-30-2008, 07:02 AM
I gotta say I'm intrigued by Michael Johnson, DE, Georgia Tech, 6'7, 260 lbs. He only started his senior year, but his physical attributes are impressive.
Michael Johnson DE 6'7 260 Georgia Tech
By: Robert Davis

Johnson spent most of his freshman season on special teams, but managed to make six tackles and a sack on the year. As a sophomore, he only started one game but was effective off the edge. He had 34 tackles, six for loss, five sacks, and an interception on the year. Johnson again started one game as a junior, this time finishing with 21 tackles, six for loss, and four sacks for the season. He was a full time starter for the first time as a senior, and had a very productive season. Johnson finished the year with 43 tackles, 15 for loss, seven sacks, a pick, and even broke up seven passes.

Strengths

Johnson is a potential game changer off the edge. He is a phenomenal athlete, with excellent quickness and agility, along with the speed to close and finish plays. As a pass rusher, he is a player you have to account for on every snap. Johnson can simply explode by the tackle with his natural talent and get into the backfield. He also has a long, lean frame that should fill out as he continues to get older. He is a DE that could end up playing on Sundays around the 285 mark, and be an every down player. Even if he does not add weight to his frame, his athleticism and speed could allow him to play in a 3-4 defense.

Weaknesses

Johnson has only started one season at the college level, and still may be more hype than substance. The projections are based on his off the charts physical ability, not his production even though he did have a solid senior year. He does have a thin frame and will have to gain weight to be able to hold up as an every down end.

Future

Johnson was receiving hype as a potential #1 pick despite starting just two games entering his senior year. He had a productive season and still has a ton of upside but not enough to justify that pre-season hype. His ability off the edge will get him selected in the Top 25 though and with the right coaching, could make every team ahead of his team regret passing on him.

packrulz
12-30-2008, 07:18 AM
Here's a look at last years draft, some of the high picks were not so great in their rookie season.
Pick Team Player Pos Ht Wt College
[+] 1 (1) Miami Dolphins Long, Jake OT 6'7" 315 Michigan

[+] 2 (2) St. Louis Rams Long, Chris DE 6'4" 275 Virginia

[+] 3 (3) Atlanta Falcons Ryan, Matt QB 6'5" 224 Boston College

[+] 4 (4) Oakland Raiders McFadden, Darren RB 6'2" 210 Arkansas

[+] 5 (5) Kansas City Chiefs Dorsey, Glenn DT 6'2" 316 LSU

[+] 6 (6) New York Jets Gholston, Vernon DE 6'4" 258 Ohio State

[+] 7 (7) New Orleans Saints (From 49ers through Patriots) Ellis, Sedrick DT 6'1" 305 Southern Cal

[+] 8 (8) Jacksonville Jaguars (From Ravens) Harvey, Derrick DE 6'5" 252 Florida

[+] 9 (9) Cincinnati Bengals Rivers, Keith LB 6'3" 235 Southern Cal

[+] 10 (10) New England Patriots (From Saints) Mayo, Jerod OLB 6'1" 242 Tennessee

[+] 11 (11) Buffalo Bills McKelvin, Leodis CB 5'11" 190 Troy

[+] 12 (12) Denver Broncos Clady, Ryan OT 6'6" 316 Boise State

[+] 13 (13) Carolina Panthers Stewart, Jonathan RB 5'11" 235 Oregon

[+] 14 (14) Chicago Bears Williams, Chris OT 6'6" 315 Vanderbilt

[+] 15 (15) Kansas City Chiefs (From Lions) Albert, Branden OG 6'6" 309 Virginia

[+] 16 (16) Arizona Cardinals Rodgers-Cromartie, Dominique CB 6'2" 182 Tennessee State

[+] 17 (17) Detroit Lions (From Vikings through Chiefs) Cherilus, Gosder OT 6'7" 315 Boston College

[+] 18 (18) Baltimore Ravens (From Texans) Flacco, Joe QB 6'7" 236 Delaware

[+] 19 (19) Carolina Panthers (From Eagles) Otah, Jeff OT 6'6" 340 Pittsburgh

[+] 20 (20) Tampa Bay Buccaneers Talib, Aqib CB 6'1" 202 Kansas

[+] 21 (21) Atlanta Falcons (From Redskins) Baker, Sam OT 6'5" 312 Southern Cal

[+] 22 (22) Dallas Cowboys (From Browns) Jones, Felix RB 6'0" 200 Arkansas

[+] 23 (23) Pittsburgh Steelers Mendenhall, Rashard RB 5'11" 210 Illinois

[+] 24 (24) Tennessee Titans Johnson, Chris RB 5'11" 197 East Carolina

[+] 25 (25) Dallas Cowboys (From Seahawks) Jenkins, Mike CB 6'0" 200 South Florida

[+] 26 (26) Houston Texans (From Jaguars through Ravens) Brown, Duane OT 6'4" 315 Virginia Tech

[+] 27 (27) San Diego Chargers Cason, Antoine CB 6'0" 190 Arizona

[+] 28 (28) Seattle Seahawks (From Cowboys) Jackson, Lawrence DE 6'5" 268 Southern Cal

[+] 29 (29) San Francisco 49ers (From Colts) Balmer, Kentwan DE 6'5" 298 North Carolina

[+] 30 (30) New York Jets (From Packers) Keller, Dustin TE 6'3" 242 Purdue

[+] 31 (31) New York Giants Phillips, Kenny FS 6'2" 208 Miami

Lurker64
12-30-2008, 11:03 AM
Michael Johnson really frightens me, since he's the classic "huge upside/minimal production" guy. How much has Vernon Gholston accomplished in his NFL career? How much has Vernon Davis accomplished in his NFL career?

All too often there's a guy who jumps 20 feet in the air and throws a tire real far at the combine and people start drooling over him, regardless of the fact that he hasn't really demonstrated he can dominate on the field.

Then again, considering the last two top 10 "athletic freak" pseudobusts have been name Vernon, so we may be in the clear.

HarveyWallbangers
12-30-2008, 12:08 PM
Mock has us drafting 10th and taking Orakpo--with Maualuga going next.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/sub/Mock-Draft-A.php

After winning 13 games a year ago big things were expected of the Packers in 2008 and even though they failed to take that next step the future still looks bright. Regardless of what you might think of Ted Thompson and the way he handled the Brett Favre situation you can't help but be impressed with his Draft Day track record and he has assembled a nice core of young talent on both sides of the ball. However, one area that is of particular concern is the defensive line and Green Bay really struggled to generate a pass rush, ranking near the bottom of the league in sacks. Aaron Kampman doesn't get nearly enough credit for being one of the best defensive ends in the business but former defensive tackle Cullen Jenkins is more of a run stuffer and after releasing Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila they could use a top pass rusher. Brian Orakpo, a.k.a. “O-Sack-Po”, had an amazing senior season for the Longhorns and he won both the Lombardi Award as the nation's best lineman and the Nagurski Trophy, which is given to the nation's top defensive player. In addition to that outstanding on-field performance Orakpo also figures to test extremely well in pre-draft workouts when he is given an opportunity to show off his amazing blend of athleticism, speed and strength. The Packers could also use some help at offensive tackle but the chance to add the best defensive end in the draft is too good to pass up.

Lurker64
12-30-2008, 12:22 PM
Orakpo would be a great pick, I don't see him getting past the Chiefs though, but who knows. I don't want Maualuga for reasons I have explained elsewhere.

For sheer mock draft overload this (http://www.walterfootball.com/draftdata.php) is a good resource.