PDA

View Full Version : Abdul Hodge, Donald Lee may start

motife
07-03-2006, 01:52 PM
Packers Team Report
7/2/2006

By Tom Silverstein
Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

PERSONNEL ANALYSIS: The club is keeping a close eye on rookie LB Abdul Hodge because he might wind up being the third-best linebacker on the team. Hodge plays the middle and saw very little action on the strong side in mini-camps which suggests he'll be a backup to Nick Barnett. But if Hodge performs better than Roy Manning and Ben Taylor, the top two candidates for the strong side, Barnett could be moved outside to accommodate the rookie. Hodge lacks leg strength, but he sheds blockers well, is always around the ball and is a decent tackler. With A.J. Hawk slated to start, it is uncertain whether the coaches will want to go with two rookies at the linebacker position. . . .

The wide receiver position remains wide open going into training camp. No one has made a strong pitch to be the starter opposite Donald Driver. The club would really like to see Robert Ferguson or Rod Gardner establish himself as a starter, but that hasn't happened yet. As a result, rookie Greg Jennings has a chance to crack the lineup. But Jennings has to be more consistent catching the ball and show he can get off the line of scrimmage against top cornerback talent.

SCOUTING REPORT: Scott Wells has solidified his position as the starting center, but he still has some hurdles to clear before he can be considered a lock for his position. Undersized and lacking great arm length, Wells is a battler who relies on his wrestling background to gain leverage on opponents. He's a better fit for this offense because he can move laterally and get under a defender's pads. But he can be knocked off-balance at the line and beaten with quickness in pass protection. He'll have to be near perfect in technique to handle the NFC North's outstanding defensive tackles on a down-by-down basis.

COACH UNDER PRESSURE: Considered one of the brightest members of the staff, Joe Philbin is making the transition from tight ends to offensive line. It's a big challenge. There's a good chance that the club will start rookies at both guard positions, which means it will be up to Philbin to get them ready during training camp. Quarterback Brett Favre's health might depend on it. Philbin and offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski are installing a zone blocking system, which differs greatly from the power gap scheme the team used the past six seasons. The veterans probably won't have difficulty adjusting, but with an interior offensive line lacking experience, Philbin will have to be on top of everything to make this system work.

TIGHT ENDS ANALYSIS: B. Bubba Franks has been to the Pro Bowl, but keep an eye on Donald Lee. He could be the deep receiving threat the team has lacked.

BallHawk
07-03-2006, 02:01 PM
I think Ben Taylor will end up being the third linebacker. He has experience on Hodge and has looked good through minicamp. What people tend to forget is Taylor isn't just a scrub TT picked up. He had 77 tackles last season. Hodge did great in college, and he, IMO, will be a great linebacker, but I think Taylor needs to start, at least for the beginning of the season, and see how he does from there.

BallHawk
07-03-2006, 02:08 PM
Man I used a lot of comma's in that last sentence.

BallHawk
07-03-2006, 02:11 PM
And I've always liked Donald Lee. I hope we see a lot of two tight end sets this season, especially with our WR situation.

wist43
07-03-2006, 02:37 PM
I've been touting both of these guys all off-season, but I doubt either one of them will be starting.

McCarthy was a dubious choice for HC and he hasn't been instilling a lot of confidence in the faithful... I expect he'll play it safe when naming starters.

That said, I see Hodge as being the 2nd best LB on the roster and think they'll have a hard time justifying keeping him on the bench.

As for Lee, he brings a downfield demension from the TE position that has been sorely lacking in the Packer offense. Franks is a great blocker and reliable receiver and should be named the starter in the base offense; but, I'm hoping we see more 2-TE formations that make use of Lee down the seam.

BallHawk
07-03-2006, 03:37 PM
That said, I see Hodge as being the 2nd best LB on the roster.

I'm not even gonna argue that, because I know of your unexplainable hate of Barnett.

wist43
07-03-2006, 03:55 PM
The point is that Hodge is a hell of a football player and the Packers need him on the field.

Taylor was signed as a minimum wage FA that no other teams even had an interest in. He may be servicable as a stop-gap starter, but I'd prefer to see the Packers go with the better player that has a bigger upside.

But, as I said, I don't think they'll do that... I agree that the starters will likely be Hawk, Barnett, and Taylor.

supersoul
07-03-2006, 04:18 PM
Taylor was signed as a minimum wage FA that no other teams even had an interest in.

The Browns wanted him back and they offered him more money than us.

Just wanted to point that out.

BallHawk
07-03-2006, 04:29 PM
Welcome to the forum Supersoul.

Partial
07-03-2006, 04:45 PM
I would love to see Barnett starting at the strong-side. That is his natural position since he played Rover in college and isn't a solid blitzer. He'll be great in that position, especially if he bulks up a little bit.

PackerPro42
07-03-2006, 05:34 PM
I would love to see both of theses guys start. Hodge is in the top 5 for most tackles at Iowa and if he would have had a better combine he would have been a first round pick. I think this is the guy the packers needed to pick up in order to bump Barnett out to the strong side and I would love to see him there. As for Lee, I was really impressed with him last year. He is fast and has unbelievabke hands for a tight end. I think he is the guy that would compliment Franks the best instead of Martin. I hope McCarthy can figure out a way to start both these guys because they have a lot of potential.

MadtownPacker
07-03-2006, 06:05 PM
Taylor was signed as a minimum wage FA that no other teams even had an interest in.

Just wanted to point that out.Damn, dropping facts right away! Great to have you Supersoul, welcome to PR.

bbbffl66
07-03-2006, 06:24 PM
No way does GB start 2 rookies at LB. At least not at the start. Look for Taylor to start for the first few weeks then maybe give way to the shift of Barnett and Hodge. Depending of course how they are playing.

Rastak
07-03-2006, 06:47 PM

Just wanted to point that out.

Actually both offers were really low. I remember his agent was interviewed and he sounded really bummed.

4and12to12and4
07-03-2006, 09:02 PM
Hodge would have to be absolutely amazing in TC and throughout the preseason to beat out a proven vet like Taylor. That said, I don't think that it is all that important who "starts". The coaching staff is in a good position in that they will have an opportunity to do alot of rotating these guys in and out during the course of a game, keeping them all fresh for the final quarter. I believe that with so much depth at that position, it gives us a huge advantage in that regard.

wist43
07-03-2006, 09:43 PM
Teams don't have to "rotate" LB's to keep them fresh... they rotate D-Linemen b/c it takes more energy to play DL, and those guys typically aren't in top physical/cardio condition like most LB's.

There may be exceptions for guys that bring a different dimension, like Poppinga - who is the only Packer linebacker worthy of sending on the blitz; but, for the most part, the starting LB'ing corp isn't going to change for any reason other than situational substution.

As for the contention that the Packers shouldn't start two rookies at LB... if two rookies are the best players, then it's a no brainer. SF started 3 rookie DB's the year they won their first SB. If guys can play, they can play.

Besides, the Packers aren't going anywhere this year anyway. Is the team better off having a minimium wage guy like Taylor in there (OK, I'll concede he signed for 12 cents over the minimum - woo hoo!!!), or letting a guy like Hodge learn on the job.

For my money, and for where he was picked, Hodge was they Packers best draft choice last year... the guy can flat out play. He was by far Iowa's best LB last year - he outplayed Greenway every time I saw the Hawkeyes, and I'm not the only one saying that... If Hodge were 2 inches taller and 20 lbs heavier, he'd have been a cinch 1st round pick.

MJZiggy
07-03-2006, 09:50 PM
For my money, and for where he was picked, Hodge was they Packers best draft choice last year... the guy can flat out play. He was by far Iowa's best LB last year - he outplayed Greenway every time I saw the Hawkeyes, and I'm not the only one saying that... If Hodge were 2 inches taller and 20 lbs heavier, he'd have been a cinch 1st round pick.

Then why isn't he worth sending on a blitz?

KYPack
07-03-2006, 10:13 PM

Just wanted to point that out.Damn, dropping facts right away! Great to have you Supersoul, welcome to PR.

Mad, be a brother & get the man an icon!

wist43
07-03-2006, 10:57 PM
Hodge is 6' tall... how many 6' LB'ers are effective on the blitz??? Most good blitzers are tall and rangy with long arms, ala Shawn Merriman, et al.

Lawrence Taylor was 6'3", Bryce Paup 6'5", etc... Some shorter LB'ers can rack up some decent sack numbers, but those come about as a result of scheme and timing as opposed to just sending the guy off the edge and counting on him to defeat the block with a combination of speed, quickness, and strength. To accomplish that, a pass rushing LB needs long arms and height to present the threat of being able to get over the top. The Packers have no one that fits that description.

The Leaper
07-03-2006, 11:58 PM
I don't think Hodge is a starter week one. He would have to blow up in TC to hop over Barnett, who is a known commodity.

What will be interesting to watch is if Barnett becomes a commodity to acquire possibly a good young RB or WR if Hodge proves capable in the middle. Hawk, Hodge, Poppinga, Taylor...those are 4 pretty solid LBs. If Green and Davenport don't prove to be dynamic starting RBs early in the year, or the veteran WRs don't pan out as reliable #2/#3 WRs, dealing Barnett to get some offense might not be a bad idea. With the free agent market being incredibly bad next year, I think you may see more player-for-player trades this season than you have in recent years.

Harlan Huckleby
07-04-2006, 12:32 AM
TIGHT ENDS ANALYSIS: B. Bubba Franks has been to the Pro Bowl, but keep an eye on Donald Lee. He could be the deep receiving threat the team has lacked.

Well, Lee may play more this year, but he won't be a starter.

woodbuck27
07-04-2006, 07:28 AM

Definitely it's Bubba #1 at TE and likely Donald Lee #2, and I hope we see a really decent player step into the #3 slot. Alot of people are tired of waiting for David Martin to get there. I think he's in a battle to remain a Packer.

There will be a really good fight, hopefully, for that #3 TE slot in TC.

Bretsky
07-04-2006, 08:29 AM

Definitely it's Bubba #1 at TE and likely Donald Lee #2, and I hope we see a really decent player step into the #3 slot. Alot of people are tired of waiting for David Martin to get there. I think he's in a battle to remain a Packer.

There will be a really good fight, hopefully, for that #3 TE slot in TC.

It would be nice to FINALLY see somebody overtake guys like David Martin and Robert Ferguson. Those experiments, which fail over and over and over, need to end.

KYPack
07-04-2006, 10:26 AM
Ya know, I really wish we wudda nabbed one of the many TE prospects in last year's draft. There were a bunch of 'em out there. I also wanted to see a RB, but it didn't happen.

With Bubba & Lee 1 & 2, it's a perfect spot to groom a good young kid.

I totally agree with B, ALL projects must go.

U71
Hunt
Steele
Sanders
Martin
Fergy

& what ever else.

Death to potential, we need results!

Patler
07-04-2006, 12:48 PM
As for Lee, I was really impressed with him last year. He is fast and has unbelievabke hands for a tight end. I think he is the guy that would compliment Franks the best instead of Martin.

Time for a reality check on Donald Lee. Let me preface this with saying I think he is a good BACKUP tightend, and will add a downfield dimension the team hoped to get from David martin, but never really has. Add in that Lee is a decent blocker and you get a decent backup. BUT, there are reasons he was released at Miami. From JSO story when the Packers signed him:

"New Miami coach Nick Saban apparently became tired of Lee’s frequent false-start penalties, mistakes and dropped passes.
"With all the adjustments and motions, tight end is one of the more mentally taxing positions in the Packers' offense. One source said if the Packers ask Lee to do too much, he would fail. But if they limit what he's asked to do and remain patient, Lee will succeed."

From the season end wrap up:

"The most drops, six, were charged to Donald Driver but he also was the target of the most passes, 149. Driver's drop rate of 4% was the lowest of his career.
"Following, in order, were Henderson, none in 34 (0.0%); Chatman, two in 86 (2.3%); Franks, one in 39 (2.6%); Martin, one in 39 (2.6%); Fisher, two in 65 (3.1%); Green, one in 26 (3.9%); Ferguson, three in 58 (5.2%); and Donald Lee, four in 53 (7.6%)."

One of the knocks against Lee has been inconsistency in catching the ball, and from several reports that has surfaced in the various camps this off-season. Looks to me like Lee can be a decent backup, but thinking he might surpass Bubba Franks, as the initial article seemed to imply, is a bit far fetched, in my opinion. I agree he can be a decent complement to Franks,

GoPackGo
07-04-2006, 01:03 PM

Mad, be a brother & get the man an icon!

http://www.desenchufate.com/supersoul/supersoul150.jpg

how about this one?

prsnfoto
07-05-2006, 10:35 AM
Ferguson, three in 58 (5.2%);

Whoever kept these stats must be ferguson's gay lover or to qualify for a drop it must hit both hands and rest for 3 seconds cause dude ran away from more passes per game than that. I can recall at least 3 balls he had stolen last year that must not be qualified as a drop maybe a robbery? RF sucks cut him now I here Don Beebe is still in shape!

PackerPro42
07-05-2006, 10:44 AM
I still think that Lee has a lot of potential regardless of the stats because he made some amazing catches last season. I can't wait to see him line up opposite side of Franks because Lee is the second best tight end in the packer's offense. He is way more athletic than Martin and in my oppinion is a better blocker, and no one can say that he isn't a fast tight end. Vince young is stupid. Steve Young, Dan Mariono and many more did not do well on that test. So I think that the test is kind of a waste of time unless you answer football logic questions on it, it doesn'e really show you anything.

wist43
07-05-2006, 11:56 AM
I see Lee as a starter... Franks is clearly a better blocker, and consequently will see the bulk of snaps on first down; but, Lee is much more athletic, and much faster and should get plenty of playing time.

Each of these guys can play an integral part in the offense. They just bring different skills to the table... it's up to McCarthy & Co. to make effective use of those tools.

Patler
07-05-2006, 11:58 AM
I meant to delete the Wonderlic score statement from the post, because I agree it doesn't mean much. I forgot to delete it, but now edited the quotation in my post to remove it. The important part was the comment that Saban grew tired of his false starts, mistakes and dropped passes. Those are the things that keep you as a backup, not a starter.

Yes, he had some nice catches last year, but I also remember a couple very poor drops, one that should have been a touchdown, though I've forgotten which game it was. I've also read that he has not caught the ball particularly well this summer, which is what made the initial article in this thread a little surprising to me. I did not attend any of the sessions, but the general impression I was getting from articles was that Lee was not doing anything special. I hope I am wrong.

Patler
07-05-2006, 12:04 PM
Ferguson, three in 58 (5.2%);

Whoever kept these stats must be ferguson's gay lover or to qualify for a drop it must hit both hands and rest for 3 seconds cause dude ran away from more passes per game than that. I can recall at least 3 balls he had stolen last year that must not be qualified as a drop maybe a robbery? RF sucks cut him now I here Don Beebe is still in shape!

I suspect the interceptions stolen out of his hands were not counted as "drops".

Deputy Nutz
07-05-2006, 12:19 PM
Hawk is a stud blitzer, he had 9 sacks last year, and he played alot in coverage. So I would have to say out of the gate, Hawk is purely our best linebacker in almost every statictical category.

For some reason this staff really refuses to send Barnett off to the outside. He is plenty big enough to play the strong side, and he would probably be in his most comfortable position, while Hodge would be at his in the middle.

The Packers coaching staff really needs to open their eyes on this one.

Partial
07-05-2006, 12:33 PM
Hawk is a stud blitzer, he had 9 sacks last year, and he played alot in coverage. So I would have to say out of the gate, Hawk is purely our best linebacker in almost every statictical category.

For some reason this staff really refuses to send Barnett off to the outside. He is plenty big enough to play the strong side, and he would probably be in his most comfortable position, while Hodge would be at his in the middle.

agree 100%

Patler
07-05-2006, 12:53 PM

agree 100%

But it isn't just this staff. Barnett has had a different DC every year, and every one of them put him in the middle.

I was very surprised last year because Bates made some early statements about moving Barnett. When asked about Barnett in an article last summer, Bates said that after watching films of all the games, he felt Barnett was best suited to play in the middle and not on the outside. He said something to the effect that in his (Bates') defense, Barnett is a middle linebacker and not an OLB. Bates even made a comment that he was somewhat surprised after watching films of all the games that MLB was in fact Barnett's best position.

I will try to find the article. It surprised me a lot when I read it.

wist43
07-05-2006, 01:16 PM
It's inexplicable to me as to why these guys keep sticking with Barnett in the middle. They guy has absolutely no instincts for the game.

That said, if the Packers hadn't drafted Hodge, I wouldn't squawk too much about leaving Barnett in the middle; but, as I and many others have said, Hodge is a very good, very instinctive football player, and is almost exclusively a MLB.

If the goal is to get the 3 best backers on the field at the same time... then Barnett almost has to move.

Patler
07-05-2006, 01:58 PM
It's inexplicable to me as to why these guys keep sticking with Barnett in the middle. They guy has absolutely no instincts for the game.

That said, if the Packers hadn't drafted Hodge, I wouldn't squawk too much about leaving Barnett in the middle; but, as I and many others have said, Hodge is a very good, very instinctive football player, and is almost exclusively a MLB.

If the goal is to get the 3 best backers on the field at the same time... then Barnett almost has to move.

I disagree only to the extent that I am not willing to annoint Hodge as one of the three best just yet. Great college career, but I would prefer to see him stand in there against NFL offenses before expecting too much. He wouldn't be the first somewhat undersized, very accomplished college linebacker to wash out in the pros. He also wouldn't be the first to succeed either.

T.C. and preseason games will be much more interesting this year, because of guys like Hodge, and watching to see what they can do. He could be a real "steal" if he plays like he did in college.

CaliforniaCheez
07-05-2006, 02:23 PM
Some time between the draft and training camp the talented guys drafted become young inexperienced rookies with potential.

Really the best a rookie can do is look average. Barnett and Collins looked average as rookies and that was as good as you can hope for.

Bubba Franks, Mike Wahle, William Whitticker had some struggles as rookies. Most rookies who start do struggle.

I lot of rookies don't even get on the field.

Colledge and Hawk will make mistakes. Hodge will get a chance if there is an injury. Jennings may be struggle but he will get some time on the field.

This year's day 2 picks will be lucky to be active game day for special teams duties.

Change your mindset. The great draft choices are now dumb rookies.

pbmax
07-05-2006, 02:29 PM
Packers Team Report
7/2/2006

By Tom Silverstein
Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

PERSONNEL ANALYSIS: The club is keeping a close eye on rookie LB Abdul Hodge because he might wind up being the third-best linebacker on the team. Hodge plays the middle and saw very little action on the strong side in mini-camps which suggests he'll be a backup to Nick Barnett. But if Hodge performs better than Roy Manning and Ben Taylor, the top two candidates for the strong side, Barnett could be moved outside to accommodate the rookie. Hodge lacks leg strength, but he sheds blockers well, is always around the ball and is a decent tackler. With A.J. Hawk slated to start, it is uncertain whether the coaches will want to go with two rookies at the linebacker position. . . . .
Hope everybody had a happy and safe fourth.

Maybe its the lack of actual news, but Silverstein is getting on my nerves. First, how he can tell Hodge is able to shed blocks from non-contact drills is a tour de force of imagination over facts. If he is projecting from college performance, he should say so. Either way we won't know until a preseason game.

Second, the club hasn't even auditioned Barnett for the outside yet. That is one important hurdle to clear before you can say Hodge is playing his way into the lineup like Brian Williams did in his year three training camp.

Finally, the only piece of news in this blurb is that Hodge saw the majority of his time in the middle. You could also spin this that the club really likes Taylor/Manning/Poppinga.

I think Silverstein is as bored as everyone else.

wist43
07-05-2006, 02:51 PM
I can only conclude that you guys haven't seen Hodge play. Greenway may have gone in the 1st round to Minnesota, but if you watched any Iowa football at all, the guy that jumped off the screen at you was Hodge. He was clearly their best LB, and their best overall defender.

The guy he reminds me of the most is Mike Singletary. Undersized, but tough, instinctive, and hits a ton. I didn't watch every Iowa game, but I've seen enough of Hodge to know that he's one hell of a football player.

Forget about the measurables on this guy... he can flat out play.

Partial
07-05-2006, 02:55 PM
do you see a future pro-bowler in this guy wist?

wist43
07-05-2006, 03:26 PM
I saw Shawn Merriman as a potential pro bowler b/c of his size/speed combination, i.e. he can stay on the field every down - playing the run, or dropping into coverage on early downs, and rushing the passer on passing downs.

I don't see that with Hodge, so in answer to your question, probably not. But that's not to say that Hodge couldn't get there. Some knocked him for his deficiencies in coverage, but I think that would be restricted solely to turning and running in man coverage. He's so instinctive, and understands the game so well, that he is always around the ball, and in pass coverage he covers up underneath very well. Hodge will never be a dynamic pass rusher simply b/c of his lack of height.

Hodge diagnoses plays very quickly and even though doesn't have great top end speed, he gets from point A to point B in a hurry, and delivers some impressive shots. He has long arms for his size, and just as was mentioned in the article, he is very adept at getting off of blocks.

Hopefully the Packers realize what they have with Hodge.

Tony Oday
07-05-2006, 03:35 PM
I hope like all packer fans that Hodge turns out great but the fact remains he has right now ZERO tackles as a pro. Let him learn a year and come in in spot duty and readress this next year.

PackerPro42
07-05-2006, 09:51 PM
I hope like all packer fans that Hodge turns out great but the fact remains he has right now ZERO tackles as a pro. Let him learn a year and come in in spot duty and readress this next year.

Can say that about Hawk too. Do you think h's a zero?

SD GB fan
07-05-2006, 11:01 PM
I saw Shawn Merriman as a potential pro bowler b/c of his size/speed combination, i.e. he can stay on the field every down - playing the run, or dropping into coverage on early downs, and rushing the passer on passing downs.

I don't see that with Hodge, so in answer to your question, probably not. But that's not to say that Hodge couldn't get there. Some knocked him for his deficiencies in coverage, but I think that would be restricted solely to turning and running in man coverage. He's so instinctive, and understands the game so well, that he is always around the ball, and in pass coverage he covers up underneath very well. Hodge will never be a dynamic pass rusher simply b/c of his lack of height.

Hodge diagnoses plays very quickly and even though doesn't have great top end speed, he gets from point A to point B in a hurry, and delivers some impressive shots. He has long arms for his size, and just as was mentioned in the article, he is very adept at getting off of blocks.

Hopefully the Packers realize what they have with Hodge.

merriman is a fucking beast. he was 270 last year and ran 4.5? 4.4? this season, he put on 10 more lbs of muscle and lost fat and is also doing boxing cross training. i fear for AFC West runningbacks just ask priest holmes.

anyways, hodge may not be a merriman but i hope he gets on the field and smack around the opposing offense a bit

FritzDontBlitz
07-06-2006, 12:34 AM
Hodge is 6' tall... how many 6' LB'ers are effective on the blitz??? Most good blitzers are tall and rangy with long arms, ala Shawn Merriman, et al.

Lawrence Taylor was 6'3", Bryce Paup 6'5", etc... Some shorter LB'ers can rack up some decent sack numbers, but those come about as a result of scheme and timing as opposed to just sending the guy off the edge and counting on him to defeat the block with a combination of speed, quickness, and strength. To accomplish that, a pass rushing LB needs long arms and height to present the threat of being able to get over the top. The Packers have no one that fits that description.

linebackers do blitz from the middle too, you know....

Partial
07-06-2006, 01:49 AM
merriman is a fucking beast. he was 270 last year and ran 4.5? 4.4? this season, he put on 10 more lbs of muscle and lost fat and is also doing boxing cross training. i fear for AFC West runningbacks just ask priest holmes.

anyways, hodge may not be a merriman but i hope he gets on the field and smack around the opposing offense a bit

Merimann was like 252 and ran a 4.61 and a 4.66. He's great, and to think that Hawk is an even better prospect is just scary.

PackerPro42
07-06-2006, 11:17 AM
I think the packers got a steal when they drafted Hodge in the third round. If he had some stronger combine numbers he would have been a first rounder no doubt. You have to remember he was one of the top middle linebacker prospects and had better stas the Greenway at Iowa. Greenway still got drafted in the first round and I think Hodge is way better than him, don't you?

Rastak
07-06-2006, 11:20 AM
I think the packers got a steal when they drafted Hodge in the third round. If he had some stronger combine numbers he would have been a first rounder no doubt. You have to remember he was one of the top middle linebacker prospects and had better stas the Greenway at Iowa. Greenway still got drafted in the first round and I think Hodge is way better than him, don't you?

I agree he was a steal and a great pick for the Packers. Better than Greenway? I'm not sure, they don't exactly play the same role. Greenway is pretty good in coverage, I'm not sure that's his forte. It really depends on how you each team uses the player, plus success in college doesn't always equal success in the pros, so that goes for Greenway, Hodge and Hawk.

Partial
07-06-2006, 12:22 PM
Lets make sure we don't forget that 6'0" 223 Jonathan Vilma is a pro-bowl quality player. He is a little faster than Hodge in the 40, but I don't think that translates to much success. I think Hodge is going to be an awesome MLB since he's just a bad dude that likes to hit.

Tony Oday
07-06-2006, 12:29 PM
I love the players that play pissed off. The ones that get mad when the RB gets a yard! I love those hard nose biatches!!!

PackerPro42
07-06-2006, 12:36 PM
I agree he was a steal and a great pick for the Packers. Better than Greenway? I'm not sure, they don't exactly play the same role. Greenway is pretty good in coverage, I'm not sure that's his forte. It really depends on how you each team uses the player, plus success in college doesn't always equal success in the pros, so that goes for Greenway, Hodge and Hawk.[/quote]

Hey everyone, you should listen to this guy. "Sucess doesn't equal sucess in the pros." Then why is everyone so excited about Jennings? He put up good numbers and no one is scipticle about him.

wist43
07-06-2006, 01:05 PM

linebackers do blitz from the middle too, you know....

Don't confuse blitzing with a "pass rusher"... LeRoy Butler was an effective blitzer from the safety position, but I don't think anyone would argue he was a great "pass rusher".

Taylor, Paup, and Merriman are great pass rushers... they're all tall, rangy, and get over the top on Tackles. That's my point in making the differentiation between them and guys like Singletary or Hodge.

The Shadow
07-06-2006, 06:11 PM
I also think Hodge was a very solid pickup. Before, any linebacker injury would mean the likes of a Paris Lenon, Hannibal Navies, Robert Thomas, etc.
With Hodge, Popinga, and Manning, I feel considerably better.
Lee, to me, has intriguing possibilities. He could turnout to be what Martin was SUPPOSED to be.

mraynrand
07-06-2006, 11:39 PM
Wist,

Interesting point about the 49ers starting three rookies at DB. Lott Wright and Williamson were rookie starters if I remember correctly, and Hicks was in his thrid year (and what a year - 9 picks one for a TD and a fumble recovery for a TD). I know that the three rookies played in almost every game, but I don't think all three were starters until late in the season. Still, that has to be one of the biggest turnarounds at a single 'position' (db) ever.

Interesting trivia point - Ray Rhodes played his final season for SF in 1980 as a DB (orginally he was a WR) and had just one INT. I think he became an assistant secondary coach for all those rookies in 1981.

SD GB fan
07-08-2006, 03:28 PM
Hey everyone, you should listen to this guy. "Sucess doesn't equal sucess in the pros." Then why is everyone so excited about Jennings? He put up good numbers and no one is scipticle about him.

cos he run good routes, catches well, and is pretty explosive

Harlan Huckleby
07-08-2006, 03:44 PM
cos he run good routes, catches well, and is pretty explosive
he doesn't do nothin till he does it.

woodbuck27
07-08-2006, 04:15 PM

From what I've seen of Abdul Hodge on video I feel we acquired a really fine player in Abdul Hodge. He is all about hustle and taking down the man with the ball.We IMO stole this fine football player and my guts tell me we will enjoy his play for many seasons.

wausaupackerpro42 you are now a member of a great Packer Forum and giverrrr man !

Welcome aboard.