PDA

View Full Version : Offensive line gets major overhaul

Sparkey
12-24-2008, 01:28 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/36698669.html

RashanGary
12-24-2008, 01:32 PM
Holy Crap. Moll really disappointed. Nice to see Wells out though.

I like Spitz/Sitton/Colledge. I think that can be a good right side. WTF are we going to do on the left side though. Damn, if this is the line of the future we're in desperate need of a big time LT much sooner than later.

Freak Out
12-24-2008, 01:33 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/36698669.html

"Moll was given every opportunity to show he could be the everyday starter at right tackle in starts against the Jacksonville Jaguars and the Chicago Bears. But he obviously didn't make the grade. Now that he's coming to the end of his third season, it's going to be hard for the Packers to continue to wait for Moll's development past this season."

No shit Moll didn't make the grade. He looked like a blow up doll out there at times.

RashanGary
12-24-2008, 01:45 PM
One nice thing is that if College plays well at RT, it would allow us to either draft a guard or tackle and put Colledge wherever the hole is.

I still see LT as a big hole going forward. It's tough to just develop left tackles. It seems most of them are high draft picks and not having one seems to hurt badly (similar to not having a pass rush on defense)

red
12-24-2008, 01:46 PM
its the same old shit

the dog just plopped it down in a different area of the yard

this better not be a preview of the future. i want new faces not just new places

arcilite
12-24-2008, 01:47 PM
i dont like tony moll

seems he is always good for 1-2 penalties a game

Gunakor
12-24-2008, 02:00 PM
its the same old shit

this better not be a preview of the future. i want new faces not just new places

All at once, right Red?

Gotta be tough replacing 5 starters all in one off season...

I'd be happy if they used this next year on the right side and found a new face or two for the left side.

wist43
12-24-2008, 02:00 PM
So does this mean that Moll and Barbre are lost causes in the eyes of the coaching staff???

If both of those guys, plus Giacomini aren't players... and Tausher and Clifton are pretty much done - wow, that's a lot of pieces to have to replace... and none of your starters set??? Long row to hoe.

red
12-24-2008, 02:55 PM
its the same old shit

All at once, right Red?

I'd be happy if they used this next year on the right side and found a new face or two for the left side.

we mine as well, we're in full blown rebuild mode as far as i'm concerned. we need total rebuilds on both lines, and a gm that is scared of free agency. we need to draft a lot of linemen in this draft, and it'll be a couple years before they're worth a squat. if they ever do

Partial
12-24-2008, 02:58 PM
Some of you guys are nutso. Replace them all in one year? Hello, the writing has been on the wall for years with the older guys. Good GMs are constantly restocking the cupboard so when they time comes to move on, they have someone ready to step in.

Andy Reid has done a phenomenal job of this in Philly.

wist43
12-24-2008, 03:02 PM
its the same old shit

All at once, right Red?

we mine as well, we're in full blown rebuild mode as far as i'm concerned. we need total rebuilds on both lines, and a gm that is scared of free agency. we need to draft a lot of linemen in this draft, and it'll be a couple years before they're worth a squat. if they ever do

I agree... we're definitely in full blown rebuild mode. Too many critical positions need upgrades and depth.

Now is when all of TT's dart throwing should be paying off... Moll, Barbre, Lee, Harrell, Rouse, et al... these are the guys on the roster out of all those draft picks, these are the guys that should be stepping into starting roles... obviously, they're not.

So on top of having to replentish simply for cyclical reasons, TT has to restock at positions he's already taken multiple swings at.

Rodgers has been good... much better than i could have expected... so that may keep them somewhat competitive, but they've got an awful long way to go.

Maybe we'll be geared up by 2011/12??? Have to figure it will take at least that long for the infusion of youth coming in this year to get up to speed.

wist43
12-24-2008, 03:06 PM
Some of you guys are nutso. Replace them all in one year? Hello, the writing has been on the wall for years with the older guys. Good GMs are constantly restocking the cupboard so when they time comes to move on, they have someone ready to step in.

Andy Reid has done a phenomenal job of this in Philly.

That's kind of the point Partial... Barbre, Moll, and Giacomini aren't ready. Neither are Lee or Bush; Williams is debatable.

The holes aren't being filled by TT's draft picks... at least not being filled at a high level. Just plugging bodies in at this point... and we have a 5-10 record to show for it.

KYPack
12-24-2008, 04:14 PM
Moll is one of those guys who can fill in. But when you start him for a couple weeks, you give the opponent time to prepare for him. Guys that see Tony on tape, abuse him pretty good.

He is no long term starter prospect. If he wants to be a back-up and be paid like one, he might stay around. That said, you probably want your back-up spots to develop starters. This could be it for Moll.

The other part of this move that puzzles me is Spitz. He's had a terrible year. Do we really need to basically move three guys around?

Barbre really is in the doghouse. He musta shot the sheriff.

RashanGary
12-24-2008, 06:33 PM
Moll is one of those guys who can fill in. But when you start him for a couple weeks, you give the opponent time to prepare for him. Guys that see Tony on tape, abuse him pretty good.

He is no long term starter prospect. If he wants to be a back-up and be paid like one, he might stay around. That said, you probably want your back-up spots to develop starters. This could be it for Moll.

The other part of this move that puzzles me is Spitz. He's had a terrible year. Do we really need to basically move three guys around?

Yeah, Moll really stunk. I thought RT was his spot and that he'd come to play. Turns out he's no better at RT than he is at RG. It's too bad. Better to find out now though.

As far as Barbre, I don't think he did anything to piss anyone off, I just don't think he's consistent enough for them to trust. He had a single digit wonderlic score. Guard and Center are positions you don't want a dummy playing. With as dumb as Barbre might be, maybe they could use his athleticism at tackle where there are more one on one match-ups and less complicated stunts/blitzes.

texaspackerbacker
12-24-2008, 06:41 PM
I obviously am not in favor of the major overhaul idea--and it ain't likely that Thompson favors that either.

Clifton is under contract, and I think he comes back as a starter if he's reasonably healthy. Tauscher probably will get no serious offers from ther teams. If that happens, I think the Packers bring him back as a cheap backup, maybe at multiple positions--the Moll role.

I wish they'd use Spitzer at center. Wells, IMO, has been mediocre at best there even when healthy. The Barbre situation has me really perplexed also. It would tie up a lot of loose ends if he became a solid starter--with Spitzer, Coledge, Sitton, and Clifton. A couple of new faces along with maybe Tauscher and/or Giacomini as backups.

Harlan Huckleby
12-25-2008, 09:04 AM

Wishful thinking, Wells is still starting. And actually he has been doing an adequate job.

I've watched Moll the last couple games, its possible to see the tackles pretty well on TV, and he is indeed awful. I don't think he has any potential. Maybe he was an athlete when he played tight end, but the bulkled-up verision of Molll is clumsy.

I'm happy to see the switch from Moll to Sitton.

PackerBlues
12-25-2008, 09:14 AM
how many more years do ya all think it will take Thompson to get that O-line fixed? :roll:

Pugger
12-25-2008, 10:03 AM
No, I don't think an overhaul is needed either. It would be nice to get a veteran or a high draft pick to shore up that line and then I think, unless we have injuries, the coaches should just leave them in one place and not shuffle them around. Let's have our 5 best guys go in there and let them play together as a unit. I also think Campen needs to go, too. :?

KYPack
12-25-2008, 10:11 AM

Wishful thinking, Wells is still starting. And actually he has been doing an adequate job.

I've watched Moll the last couple games, its possible to see the tackles pretty well on TV, and he is indeed awful. I don't think he has any potential. Maybe he was an athlete when he played tight end, but the bulkled-up verision of Molll is clumsy.

HH, you actually watch this stuff. Wells has long been one of our best interior lineman. For some reason, Wells is the forum whipping boy. I think it's because he is an ugly looking player. Short, with short arms. But if you watch interior line play, he get his job done.

Everyone on here wants Spitz to play center. When Spitz was our center for that short run, he was terrible. He had at least one bad snap in every game he played. The only bad snap I've ever seen from Wells was this season after his concussion.

Moll? a back-up guard. This bunch needs a back-up that can play a couple positions. I don't think Tony can do that. He may hang around, but he can't start at G or T. Really, he can't even play tackle.

Harlan Huckleby
12-25-2008, 04:16 PM
I'm not worried about the offensive line. They should resign Tauscher, now that he will be more affordable. Ya, they need to make some changes, draft a tackle, but they have decent young players who can start.

The defensive line needs a new young defensive tackle and an old defensive end. That's the rebuilding area.

DonHutson
12-25-2008, 07:26 PM
Nothing on the OL will get fixed while Campen is "coaching" them.

If he comes back, they damn well better draft OL that are ready to play immediately because they won't get any better once they arrive. Better not to draft OL at all than give them to Campen. Use the picks at positions where the players have a chance to improve.

Bretsky
12-25-2008, 07:43 PM
Nothing on the OL will get fixed while Campen is "coaching" them.

If he comes back, they damn well better draft OL that are ready to play immediately because they won't get any better once they arrive. Better not to draft OL at all than give them to Campen. Use the picks at positions where the players have a chance to improve.

I'm not sure I agree with all the Campen hate; to be honest I don't know what kind of coach he is. Spitz and Colledge have improved from their rookie years. The vets don't fit this system; the GM has to see that. Wells is ok at times. Moll was never that good.

There is this thing called free agency we could use if we ever wanted immediate help.

Campen is the third or fourth coach I'd give an exit ticket to; not that I would argue if he was sent away though.

To be honest, who on this coaching staff really has a ton of our faith ? It's Definitely no Holmgren Staff.

The QB coach might be the best one

DonHutson
12-26-2008, 07:52 AM
To be honest, who on this coaching staff really has a ton of our faith ? It's Definitely no Holmgren Staff.

The QB coach might be the best one

Edgar B. gets a fair amount of production out of his guys, considering not a lot was invested at RB (one #2 pick, resigning Grant who came cheap the year before).

The WR coach has had the benefit of several high draft picks, but he seems to have a knack for getting young guys ready to play even as rookies. And a guy like Ruvell Martin was developed nicely.

Until this year I've liked the job the DL coaches have done. Other than Harrell and Pickett everyone came in the 4th round or later, or off the street. Prior to this year, the unit was a strength of the team. It's all fallen apart this year, however, so that might be on the coaches.

Clement seems to do a nice job with the QBs. The real test might be getting Brohm and Flynn ready for prime time.

Patler
12-26-2008, 08:33 AM

I think that is a failure of some of MM's backup plans. An injury requires two moves and three new starters at different positions. Although to be fair, his "plan" at right tackle was a simple one man substitution, but it failed. But...

Is Sitton that "right handed" that he can't start on the left?
Is Sitton that far ahead of Barbre that he has to start, moving Spitz to the left?
Can't Barbre start one game?

There had been talk of Sitton playing right tackle in the future. I know he may not have practiced much (or at all) there now, so maybe it doesn't work for this week, but maybe that is what we will see next season.

Pugger
12-26-2008, 09:09 AM
And injuries to the O line have made it a revolving door and I would think an O line functions better when the 5 guys can play together as a unit over time so they all can 'feel' what the others are going to do in certain situations and act accordingly.

Patler
12-26-2008, 09:21 AM

HH, you actually watch this stuff. Wells has long been one of our best interior lineman. For some reason, Wells is the forum whipping boy. I think it's because he is an ugly looking player. Short, with short arms. But if you watch interior line play, he get his job done.

Everyone on here wants Spitz to play center. When Spitz was our center for that short run, he was terrible. He had at least one bad snap in every game he played. The only bad snap I've ever seen from Wells was this season after his concussion.

Moll? a back-up guard. This bunch needs a back-up that can play a couple positions. I don't think Tony can do that. He may hang around, but he can't start at G or T. Really, he can't even play tackle.

Spitz's bad snaps were in Rodgers' first few starts. I'm not sure if it was Spitz, Rodgers or a combination of both. Spitz never had the problem in previous games at center in previous years, nor did he have a problem filling in a few weeks ago.

Didn't Wells have some other bad snaps in shotgun this year? Hasn't he had some in previous years? For some reason I have never been real comfortable with him in shotgun.

Packnut
12-26-2008, 10:10 AM
I told everyone here that Moll sucked and would never be of any value and that was BEFORE last season. I have no problem with Wells except that he's only an average center. The problem with both Spitz and Colledge is that they are totally inconsistent. On one play they look like studs and on another they get blown up like in-experienced rookies. It is indeed frustrating.

May-be at some point experience will bring consistency but that's a huge risk if it does'nt. At this point with all the problems it is obvious that the present system in place does not work. McCarthy need's to accept failure with the current blocking schemes and move on. Changes need to be made or this in-ability to sustain a run game will continue to plague us.

rbaloha1
12-26-2008, 02:57 PM
Changes are good. Barbre runs well and is tough. Wish he received a chance at left guard. Fast enough to reach second level blocks and get out for screens.