PDA

View Full Version : A Sad Story: Terrence Murphy Moving On.

woodbuck27
07-03-2006, 05:58 PM
LOOKING AHEAD
Terrence Murphy Planning Future Away From Football

Fr: Maya Golden / KLTV.com

Football fans across the country held their breath along with East Texans last October as Terrence Murphy lay motionless on the field. In a split second, a helmet to helmet collision ended Terrence's first year in the NFL as quickly as it had begun. He spent weeks recovering from the trauma to his neck. But this weekend, Terrence was back on an East Texas football field with the McCown's Passing Camp in Jacksonville, giving advice to another generation of athletes.

"It's a blessing," Terrence said. "They are all out here to support us." His name is no longer on an NFL roster. Seven months after the injury, the Packers released Terrence from the team.

"Green Bay wasn't sure if I was ready, I told them I was, but they weren't sure," he said. "So, we parted ways."

However, Terrence is not spending his time looking back, instead looking forward.

He said he has something more important than the game of football in mind.

"I'm actually getting ready to start my Masters (degree) at Texas A&M," he said.

Passing along advice and skills to the kids, Terrence said it reminded him of his young playing days in east Texas. From a Bulldog, to an Aggie, to a Packer, Terrence said he was blessed for the opportunity, and his playing days may not be done.

"If football works out it does," he explained. "I'm still not sure if I want to play yet, but I will take it one day at a time. "

MadtownPacker
07-03-2006, 06:09 PM
The intelligence displayed by this young man further proves what a huge loss he was in 2005. I hope the best in the world for him in everything he does.

woodbuck27
07-03-2006, 06:16 PM
The intelligence displayed by this young man further proves what a huge loss he was in 2005. I hope the best in the world for him in everything he does.

Yes MadtownPacker. Terrence Murphy was really coming on and promised us solid leadership as well as football savvy.

His disappointment is shared with Packer fans. What happened to him is painful.

Rastak
07-03-2006, 06:44 PM

Totally agree.

woodbuck27
07-03-2006, 07:26 PM

Totally agree.

Rastak you are a real fine poster here and a fine gentleman. This forum is alot better place to come to, because of your insight and manner.

Congrat's man.

Rastak
07-03-2006, 08:20 PM

Totally agree.

Rastak you are a real fine poster here and a fine gentleman. This forum is alot better place to comer to, because of your insight and manner.

Congrat's man.

Thank Woodbuck but you'd have to be a real horses ass to wish a young guy like that ill. It is just a game in the end, although we treat it as more. I wish him well.

oregonpackfan
07-04-2006, 11:27 AM
From what I have read of Murphy's strong charater traits, he will be successful in whatever endeavor he chooses to pursue.

Harlan Huckleby
07-04-2006, 11:37 AM
The intelligence displayed by this young man further proves

For those of you who don't know: Madtown is only 16 years old. He gets a kick out of trying to sound like a grownup.

MadtownPacker
07-04-2006, 11:40 AM
For those of you who don't know: Madtown is only 16 years old. He gets a kick out of trying to sound like a grownup.Shut your trap Nabisco, I just told you that to lure you on Dateline's "To catch a predator".

woodbuck27
07-04-2006, 12:03 PM
From what I have read of Murphy's strong charater traits, he will be successful in whatever endeavor he chooses to pursue.

Yes. One of the things I liked best when we drafted him, was his strong demonstrated leadership ability. I hoped we would enjoy that for 8-10 seasons.

BallHawk
07-04-2006, 12:32 PM
Man it's such a shame. You could see in that Carolina game, Favre was really starting to trust the kid. At least he isn't one of these guys that are good at football and nothing else. He's going back to college and I respect that. I wish him the best in everything he does throughout his life.

Patler
07-04-2006, 01:04 PM
One of the things that made Murphy so interesting before his injury is that both players and coaches commented that he was learning his position faster than any rookie WR they could remember. I'm sure that's why Favre was comfortable looking for him. He knew where Murohy would be, because Murphy would do what he was supposed to do.

Fortunately, the intelligence, dedication, attention to detail that resulted in the above can also help him succeed in life after football. It appears he is not following the self-pity path some do, agonizing over what could have been. He accepts it and moves on.

Reminds me of Tim Lewis, who was on the verge of All-Pro status after only a couple years when a similar injury ended his career. He immediately moved into coaching, and is now on the short list of candidates for NFL head coaching positions. He accepted the inevitable and moved on with his life. I've always admired the attitude he showed in interviews following his injury.