PDA

View Full Version : rodgers might need offseason shoulder surgery

red
12-26-2008, 02:11 PM
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20081224/PKR01/81224132/1058

Shoulder surgery possible for Rodgers

By Rob Demovsky • rdemovsk@greenbaypressgazette.com • December 24, 2008

The shoulder injury that Aaron Rodgers sustained in Week 4 at Tampa Bay could require surgery after the season.
Advertisement
Quantcast

The Green Bay Packers’ starting quarterback hasn’t been listed on the team’s injury report since Nov. 14, and his throwing shoulder hasn’t been a regular topic of conversation in more than a month.

But after Sunday’s regular-season finale against the Detroit Lions, Rodgers plans to meet with team’s medical staff to determine what, if any, course of action will be needed to ensure that his right shoulder is healed by next season.

“We’ll take a look at that after the season, probably,” Rodgers said Wednesday.

Asked whether surgery would be necessary, Rodgers said: “We’ll take a look at that after the season.”

Rodgers wouldn’t rule out the possibility of needing surgery, but he wouldn’t go so far as to say it was a probable course of action. He said he has not had any MRI tests recently, so he wasn’t sure exactly what condition his throwing shoulder is in.

Rodgers sprained his right shoulder while scrambling against the Buccaneers on Sept. 28 and was limited in practice the next six weeks but did not miss a start. Following the injury, he wasn’t a full participant in practice until Nov. 13. The week of the Nov. 24 game at New Orleans was the first time Rodgers wasn’t listed on the injury report.

Barring anything unforeseen this week, Rodgers will start all 16 games in his first season as the replacement for Brett Favre, the NFL’s most durable quarterback of all time.

“Well, I’ve got a couple more days to get to 16,” Rodgers said. “I think as a quarterback you want to be the guy in there taking every snap every Sunday, especially if you feel like you give your team the best opportunity to win.

“From a physical toughness standpoint, I’ve always taken pride in being able to play through injuries. This year, I dealt with some minor injuries and then my shoulder, which was a little bit more of a significant injury. But that’s just kind of the way I operate, and I think (it’s the way) most guys in the league operate. We all play with pain.

“Being on the field, to me, is the most important thing, and a lot of times I put the status of my body on the back seat if I feel like I give us the best chance to win.”

RashanGary
12-26-2008, 02:12 PM
Hopefully they would do it quickly after the season ended so he could be completely ready by training camp.

digitaldean
12-26-2008, 02:14 PM
For a guy who has a bum shoulder, I'd say he's done an admirable job.

Hope this is able to get cleared up for the offseason.

Partial
12-26-2008, 02:16 PM
I admire his willingness to play through the pain. Atta boy.

Gunakor
12-26-2008, 02:25 PM

Well, he did play an entire half of football on a broken foot against the Patriots a few years ago. I never questioned his willingness to play through pain.

retailguy
12-26-2008, 02:58 PM

Well, he did play an entire half of football on a broken foot against the Patriots a few years ago. I never questioned his willingness to play through pain.

Lots of people here have though. If he's proven anything he's proven two. One, he's a tough guy and will be out there if at all possible and two, I think he's proven he is NOT the problem with this Packers team.

That's a pretty good 1st year following a legend, I'd say.

packinpatland
12-26-2008, 02:59 PM
Maybe he and Brett could share a room....... :wink: