PDA

View Full Version : PR Gals, is this the reason?

sheepshead
12-27-2008, 07:55 AM
Despite their phony championing of "women's issues" (i.e. abortion) there was not one Democrat woman who could win a head-to-head contest with Palin. Especially not if we got to see their faces. Democrats may have a fleet of women politicians, but they don't have a deep bench of attractive ones. You don't even think of most Democratic woman as women: Rosa Delauro, Nita Lowey, Patty Murray, Janet Napolitano -- and the list goes on. Oh, sure, there are the odd female Democrat sex kittens -- your Janet Renos, your Donna Shalalas -- but they're the exception to the rule.

HAAAAAAAAAA

SkinBasket
12-27-2008, 08:04 AM
So you woke up on Christmas weekend and this was your first thought?

sheepshead
12-27-2008, 08:05 AM
LOL--scary huh?

MJZiggy
12-27-2008, 08:37 AM
Very scary. What if we did something really crazy like judging our politicians by their views and actions. It's not like anyone's thinking about whether Dick Cheney is any hotter than Joe Biden.

sheepshead
12-27-2008, 08:40 AM
Sure, but how does one explain the pure hatred for her? What "views and actions" caused the hatred?

MJZiggy
12-27-2008, 08:49 AM
The action was her inability to note one single paper she reads each day. "all of them" is not an answer. The action is her inability in the face of her own daughter's pregnancy to admit that there might have been some value in teaching her how to protect herself against pregnancy as it's just not that difficult if you know what you're doing. Her steadfast belief that teaching abstinence in our schools can overcome teenage hormones especially in places that are a little tougher than her home. She can't come up with one single Supreme Court case and discuss its merits and she has a complete inability to subtlely shift conversation in the direction she'd like it to go. She's easily befuddled and charms world leaders with her looks, but what happens when it's time to sit down with them and have hard policy negotiations? They'd eat her alive. Without thinking about it twice. She's good for a smile and a wink and not much more. Can she learn more? Probably, but she's going to have to learn it BEFORE she gets my support for VP. You don't get it. It never was about her face, it was about the brain her face conceals. Put your boy parts away and really listen to her. Maybe try radio or something.

sheepshead
12-27-2008, 09:09 AM
The last campaign took 2 years, easy. I can post any number of gaffes here by Mr Biden and Mr Obama (more by Obama actually)

I am still having trouble with the hatred of her. You can make a case why she would not have been a very good vice president, (the easiest job in Washington) so, vote for the other guy.
But why the hate?

Reminds me of Reagan when he was emerging as a candidate.

MJZiggy
12-27-2008, 09:19 AM
The last campaign took 2 years, easy. I can post any number of gaffes here by Mr Biden and Mr Obama (more by Obama actually)

I am still having trouble with the hatred of her. You can make a case why she would not have been a very good vice president, (the easiest job in Washington) so, vote for the other guy.
But why the hate?

There are gaffes from speaking in the heat of the moment on the campaign trail (and there are plenty from everyone to go around as no one's perfect) and then there is just plain not very bright. There's a difference between misspeaking and trying to cover up the fact that she doesn't even read the newspaper (kind of important for the person sitting behind the president to know what's going on, don't you think?)

I can't be certain about this, but the hatred for Palin may be based on the fact that smart, competent women have struggled to attain their position in society and Palin, obviously not very bright steps in and moves forward on what appears to be her looks with is something that bright competent women loathe because she won't be taken seriously and lends ammunition to those who wish to use it as an excuse to take other more accomplished women less seriously. I'll take a smart savvy woman over a wink and a smile anyday and you should too. It was the same with Reagan. He was a Hollywood actor and good looking and had to prove himself competent before he was accepted. The difference is that Reagan proved it. Palin did not and won't be accepted until she does.

SkinBasket
12-27-2008, 09:44 AM
I lot of assumptions about Palin's intelligence going on... Kind of a theme with dems over the last decade or so.

Harlan Huckleby
12-27-2008, 09:51 AM
Very scary. What if we did something really crazy like judging our politicians by their views and actions. It's not like anyone's thinking about whether Dick Cheney is any hotter than Joe Biden.

I go with Cheney here.

Harlan Huckleby
12-27-2008, 09:56 AM
and Palin, obviously not very bright

yes, obviously. :lol:

When the media repeats something often enough, the majority of people seem to just believe it, especially if it something fun to believe.

I really didn't have a dog in this presidential fight. I preferred McCain, but was also relieved that the Republican rule was ended. I think Palin is green but really smart. I didn't like her way of thinking, too ideological, but she has a good mind.

MJZiggy
12-27-2008, 09:57 AM
I lot of assumptions about Palin's intelligence going on... Kind of a theme with dems over the last decade or so.

I'm going by what I've seen her do and heard her say. If you have grand proof of her overriding intelligence, please share.

Harlan Huckleby
12-27-2008, 10:11 AM
I'm going by what I've seen her do and heard her say. If you have grand proof of her overriding intelligence, please share.

She did well in her debate with Biden. For the first time on a national stage, that showed some grey matter. By comparison, Obama was AWFUL in debates at the start of the two-year presidential season, and improved from month to month.

The skill with which she delivered her convention speech, under incredible pressure, was impressive. That's a sign of a sort of intelligence.

The scripted answeres in the interview with Professor Gibson made her look silly, true. But only half as silly as Charlie Gibson peering down over his bifocals after asking STUPID gotcha questions.

sheepshead
12-27-2008, 10:12 AM

But why the hate?

There are gaffes from speaking in the heat of the moment on the campaign trail (and there are plenty from everyone to go around as no one's perfect) and then there is just plain not very bright. There's a difference between misspeaking and trying to cover up the fact that she doesn't even read the newspaper (kind of important for the person sitting behind the president to know what's going on, don't you think?)

I can't be certain about this, but the hatred for Palin may be based on the fact that smart, competent women have struggled to attain their position in society and Palin, obviously not very bright steps in and moves forward on what appears to be her looks with is something that bright competent women loathe because she won't be taken seriously and lends ammunition to those who wish to use it as an excuse to take other more accomplished women less seriously. I'll take a smart savvy woman over a wink and a smile anyday and you should too. It was the same with Reagan. He was a Hollywood actor and good looking and had to prove himself competent before he was accepted. The difference is that Reagan proved it. Palin did not and won't be accepted until she does.

okay, now where getting somewhere...

sheepshead
12-27-2008, 10:15 AM

I dont know who is smarter or who isnt. But Mr Obama has been preparing to run for President since the day our fine state let him push everyone aside to become Senator. Palin had a weeks notice and never should have been thrown to the wolves. A few appearances on Sean Hannity would have prepared her better. I think it was poor handling rather than a poor candidate. We'll see.

MJZiggy
12-27-2008, 10:30 AM
But we're not talking about Obama. People like to tell me how smart and accomplished Palin is and have shown me no evidence of it. They just say the MSM portrays her this way, but have done nothing to actually discredit their depiction. Your comparison to Reagan was good because in very short order it was learned that Reagan had the brains to back up his candidacy. He turned out to be far more than Hollywood eye candy. I'm still waiting for someone to cite examples of their reasoning that Palin is any more than a stereotype.

She can see Russia from her house does not mean that the Russian government is going to take her seriously at the negotiating table. It also does not mean that if called upon to do so, she can come up with solid economic or policy decisionmaking when times get tough. I don't have faith that she could. Condi Rice could. Palin not so much.

Harlan Huckleby
12-27-2008, 10:34 AM
But we're not talking about Obama.

The comparison is quite apt. He's a first-time politician who has been crowned a genius.

They just say the MSM portrays her this way, but have done nothing to actually discredit their depiction.

I just got done listing in some detail why I found her intelligent.

This is why I so often end up hitting women - they don't fucking listen.

MJZiggy
12-27-2008, 10:50 AM
Sorry, dear, I missed your post. Ok, so now we've found out that she can read. And she can read in front of people. Didn't she go to college specifically to learn how to read in front of people?

And gotcha questions are only gotcha questions if they getcha. If the questions were that stupid, she should have had the sense to call him out for asking stupid questions. Maybe ole Charlie was only trying to see if she could handle herself. Isn't that what a foreign leader would do?

As for the comparison, Obama is starting to show that there's something behind that label of intelligence. I don't think he's gone so far as genius, but there's little doubt there's a brain in his head. And I haven't seen him smile and wink at the camera in the middle of a debate even once. I don't buy the suggestion that she was even CLOSE to being a viable VP candidate this election. Can she be made more ready? Who knows, but so far I haven't seen proof that she's up to the task.

bobblehead
12-27-2008, 11:47 AM
She can't come up with one single Supreme Court case and discuss its merits and she has a complete inability to subtlely shift conversation in the direction she'd like it to go. She's easily befuddled and charms world leaders with her looks, but what happens when it's time to sit down with them and have hard policy negotiations? They'd eat her alive. Without thinking about it twice. She's good for a smile and a wink and not much more. Can she learn more? Probably, but she's going to have to learn it BEFORE she gets my support for VP. You don't get it. It never was about her face, it was about the brain her face conceals. Put your boy parts away and really listen to her. Maybe try radio or something.

I think you could have seen a lot of Palin in both obama and Biden if they were ever challenged by the media as Palin was. When is the last time either of them got asked a tough question?? I think it was when Stephonopalous asked Obama why he wanted to raise capital gains taxes when history has proven its detrimental to the economy. Instead of hearing about him gaffing the answer we heard attacks on GS the next morning.

Liberals have a different standard, its that simple. Republicans have failed in leadership for the last 8 years, but dems are just plain worthless.

packinpatland
12-27-2008, 12:38 PM
Never, not once have I expressed any hatred toward Sarah Palin.
I did, many times, question her inappropriateness and inablility for the job of VP. A job that could have put her in the #1 role of representing and governing our country.

http://politicalhumor.about.com/od/sarahpalin/a/palinisms.htm

sheepshead
12-27-2008, 01:02 PM
Sorry, dear, I missed your post. Ok, so now we've found out that she can read. And she can read in front of people. Didn't she go to college specifically to learn how to read in front of people?

And gotcha questions are only gotcha questions if they getcha. If the questions were that stupid, she should have had the sense to call him out for asking stupid questions. Maybe ole Charlie was only trying to see if she could handle herself. Isn't that what a foreign leader would do?

As for the comparison, Obama is starting to show that there's something behind that label of intelligence. I don't think he's gone so far as genius, but there's little doubt there's a brain in his head. And I haven't seen him smile and wink at the camera in the middle of a debate even once. I don't buy the suggestion that she was even CLOSE to being a viable VP candidate this election. Can she be made more ready? Who knows, but so far I haven't seen proof that she's up to the task.

I dont care if he can beat me at Jeopardy. Besides, I agree the question was the hatred for Palin. Do people really think she's stupid, so they hate her? There's something else there. Beside EVERY republican is stupid according to the MSM and far left dating back to Nixon vs. Kennedy.

And sorry MJ gotta point this one out. Sarah Palin never said"I can see Russia from my house" Tina Fey did..you're proving once again the power of the MSM and the perception they can create.

sheepshead
12-27-2008, 01:07 PM
"I can't be certain about this, but the hatred for Palin may be based on the fact that smart, competent women have struggled to attain their position in society and Palin, obviously not very bright steps in and moves forward on what appears to be her looks with is something that bright competent women loathe because she won't be taken seriously and lends ammunition to those who wish to use it as an excuse to take other more accomplished women less seriously."

She didnt get to be governor the largest state and a very important strategic state by winking at the camera. Again, this all reminds me of Reagan. The shear fear that brings out personnel attacks.

digitaldean
12-27-2008, 01:39 PM
Becoming a governor and fighting against a political machine of corruption (no matter what the party) deserves some respect for ability and talent.

I am sick of arguing with those who think she isn't competent to govern.

She started with small town government and then worked her way up by TALENT and ABILITY, not by having the right connections with certain power brokers.

For the life of me, a ton of people in this country will believe the big lie. Repeat the same BS enough (and especially if some jackass lame comedienne on a failing TV show repeats it) and it must be true!

It's like the arguments regarding Favre, you'll never EVER convince one side or the other.

I already saw the hit pieces on CNN's year in review news events. You have people like David Gergen saying she was someone out of the 1980s Republican party, she was like a "sugar high, fantastic at the start but faded quickly", YADA, YADA, YADA.

Hey, personally I hope Obama succeeds because the COUNTRY needs success. But the trashing of Palin as the convenient (conservative) bimbo of choice is beyond repulsive. All the "how can she be a fit mother if she wants to be VP" , her daughters pregnancy or the lame attempts at the Alaska separatist party affiliations seemed to be attempts to divert attention on what she accomplished to become a governor. The rank hypocrisy by the media and those worshipping Obama towards Palin was wretched.

sheepshead
12-27-2008, 01:41 PM
I was having a similar argument with my liberal cousin. He sent me a Jon Stewart video to prove his point! ...Jon Stewart! That would be like me sending a Chris Rock video to prove my point!

Needless to say, he didnt write back.

retailguy
12-27-2008, 01:44 PM

Respectfully, you and I define hatred differently.

You have continually minimized Palin's accomplishments and continually maximzed Obama's. You interpret your vitriole as "job related", but you and Ziggy can't seriously do that until you acknowledge that idiots don't get elected the GOVERNOR and have 80% approval ratings if they haven't DONE ANYTHING.

Yet you steadfastly REFUSE to even entertain that point.

I usually don't agree with Sheepshead, but he's onto something here. The hatred of Palin by the media and the liberal women in this nation has precious LITTLE to do with her lack of accomplishments and a lot to do with items of a "personal" nature.

It is very sad. Did you cheer when her church got burned down? Quite honestly, some IDIOT who listened to the same vitrole you and Ziggy and the mainstream media spew caused that fool to entertain the idea of breaking the law.

Hatred breeds that in people. Think about that.... Think about the irrational HATRED that it takes to BURN DOWN A CHURCH!

Kind of sad, isn't it?

There are "lots" of accomplishments on the web that you can read about. Lots of things that she HAS done. Lots of thing that the citizens of the State of Alaksa SAY she has done.

Why don't you tell us WHY her approval ratings were over 80%? Why don't you tell us WHY the citizens of Alaska elected her? Why don't you tell us WHY the citizens of Wasila elected her?

600,000 people up there and they are all stupid? Sorry, but that only happens with the Democrats in Illinois.

digitaldean
12-27-2008, 02:10 PM
I was having a similar argument with my liberal cousin. He sent me a Jon Stewart video to prove his point! ...Jon Stewart! That would be like me sending a Chris Rock video to prove my point!

Needless to say, he didnt write back.

It's appalling to see the dumbing down of political thought in this country.

The Daily Show, SNL, The Daily Kos and The Huffington Post are now how we judge the candidates?

It's like me sending Dennis Miller rants from the O'Reilly factor to counter Jon Stewart.

It was the same way on the social networking sites like Twitter. They had an election section that was streaming updates. The sources people used were against Pailin specious at best. Instead of looking at facts, they looked at how they FELT.

Palin was a proven leader of a state that had experience regarding energy and energy infrastructure. That was glossed over as inconsequential.

Biden had YouTube videos of him making racists comments about people of Indian/Pakistani descent running 7-11s. He made NUMEROUS factual errors during the VP debate but was never called to the carpet because it meant disparaging Lord Obama.

MJZiggy
12-27-2008, 03:00 PM

You have continually minimized Palin's accomplishments and continually maximzed Obama's. You interpret your vitriole as "job related", but you and Ziggy can't seriously do that until you acknowledge that idiots don't get elected the GOVERNOR and have 80% approval ratings if they haven't DONE ANYTHING.

I usually don't agree with Sheepshead, but he's onto something here. The hatred of Palin by the media and the liberal women in this nation has precious LITTLE to do with her lack of accomplishments and a lot to do with items of a "personal" nature.

It is very sad. Did you cheer when her church got burned down? Quite honestly, some IDIOT who listened to the same vitrole you and Ziggy and the mainstream media spew caused that fool to entertain the idea of breaking the law.

Hatred breeds that in people. Think about that.... Think about the irrational HATRED that it takes to BURN DOWN A CHURCH!

Kind of sad, isn't it?

There are "lots" of accomplishments on the web that you can read about. Lots of things that she HAS done. Lots of thing that the citizens of the State of Alaksa SAY she has done.

Why don't you tell us WHY her approval ratings were over 80%? Why don't you tell us WHY the citizens of Alaska elected her? Why don't you tell us WHY the citizens of Wasila elected her?

600,000 people up there and they are all stupid? Sorry, but that only happens with the Democrats in Illinois.

Great. You don't get to be governor without having done something. What has she done to earn her approval rating? There's lots I can read about on the web? Like what? I'm waiting for one of you guys who says she's so bright and so accomplished to tell me something concrete. I can think of a reason why a state of 90% men would elect a woman governor but you'd never buy it anyway. I'm still waiting for the hard details of her accomplishments. Will she still have her approval rating if the oil money dries up in this economy?

packinpatland
12-27-2008, 03:06 PM
I have to wonder, with the price of oil dropping, the tax collected on that oil waning, the checks to Alaska residents will get smaller.........will her approval rating go down too?
It was 80% before she was chosen for McCain's running mate........I don't think it's that high now.

Bretsky
12-27-2008, 03:08 PM

Kind of sad, isn't it?

Great. You don't get to be governor without having done something. What has she done to earn her approval rating? There's lots I can read about on the web? Like what? I'm waiting for one of you guys who says she's so bright and so accomplished to tell me something concrete. I can think of a reason why a state of 90% men would elect a woman governor but you'd never buy it anyway. I'm still waiting for the hard details of her accomplishments. Will she still have her approval rating if the oil money dries up in this economy?

she is hot for her age

all this muck in here reminds me of why I avoid the RR :lol:

packinpatland
12-27-2008, 03:17 PM

Kind of sad, isn't it?

Obviously this could go on forever.....
It's OK for you guys to say the things you say about the liberals and about our newly elected President to be, but the minute we say/said anything about Palin or McCain, we spew hate.
I do not condone what some twisted person(s) did to the Wasila church. To imply otherwise is wrong.
I don't know why she was elected mayor or govenor. After reading what is available to read about Gov. Palin I don't think I would have voted for her. But isn't that the essence of democracy? That's what makes this country great. We have choices. The folks who voted for her aren't any smarter than the ones who voted for the other guy and viceversa
This kind of talk has to stop. I don't hate anyone.

digitaldean
12-27-2008, 03:25 PM
I'm waiting for one of you guys who says she's so bright and so accomplished to tell me something concrete.

You want it, you got it, happy to accommodate.
http://www.oregonlive.com/politics/index.ssf/2008/09/what_theyve_accomplished.html

This contains a list of accomplishments for Obama and Palin over a specific time period. It was compiled by the AP, hardly a bastion of conservative leanings.

For sake of brevity, I will list Palin's achievements minus her athletic acheivements and the state trooper investigation (which she was cleared in).

Palin wins City Council seat in Wasilla, Alaska, a town of about 5,500.

Palin elected mayor of Wasilla.

Palin loses Republican primary for Alaska lieutenant governor

Palin appointed to Oil and Gas Conservation Commission.

Palin investigates conduct of a commission member, who ultimately resigns. She later files ethics complaint against state's Republican attorney general, who also resigns.

Palin elected first female governor of Alaska.

Palin overhauls state ethics laws, pushes to build a natural gas pipeline despite opposition from oil industry.

I know this may not convince anyone who is steadfastly against her. But her accomplishments are one of the few reasons I voted for McCain.

And if this list doesn't get your blood boiling, the editor of the Times of London wrote a nice comparison (with some humor) of Obama vs. Palin.
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2008/09/sarah_palin_vs_barack_obama.html

sheepshead
12-27-2008, 03:47 PM
I just wanted to know why so many on the left HATE her. I think I am slowly getting my answer.

p.s. There is no disputing the hatred especially among women on the left. This is all well beyond partisan campaign rhetoric and it continues.

SkinBasket
12-27-2008, 03:54 PM
Women always hate other women that make them look bad. Just so happens Palin is kind of fuckable, exceptionally accomplished, and smart despite raising all those kids and working on a fishing boat for years.

They feel threatened, so they they lash out. And just like junior high, they call her stupid.

packinpatland
12-27-2008, 05:15 PM
I just wanted to know why so many on the left HATE her. I think I am slowly getting my answer.

p.s. There is no disputing the hatred especially among women on the left. This is all well beyond partisan campaign rhetoric and it continues.

Show me the hatred in this post, and how does it go beyond partisan campaign rhetoric?

It's OK for you guys to say the things you say about the liberals and about our newly elected President to be, but the minute we say/said anything about Palin or McCain, we spew hate.
I do not condone what some twisted person(s) did to the Wasila church. To imply otherwise is wrong.
I don't know why she was elected mayor or govenor. After reading what is available to read about Gov. Palin I don't think I would have voted for her. But isn't that the essence of democracy? That's what makes this country great. We have choices. The folks who voted for her aren't any smarter than the ones who voted for the other guy and viceversa

Skin........I'm not threatened and I'm not 'lashing out'. Your 'f*ckable' comment is more jr. high than even high school.

Your girl lost......let's move on.

retailguy
12-27-2008, 06:15 PM
Great. You don't get to be governor without having done something. What has she done to earn her approval rating?There's lots I can read about on the web? Like what? I'm waiting for one of you guys who says she's so bright and so accomplished to tell me something concrete. I can think of a reason why a state of 90% men would elect a woman governor but you'd never buy it anyway. I'm still waiting for the hard details of her accomplishments. Will she still have her approval rating if the oil money dries up in this economy?

You completely missed the point. The point was for YOU to make the effort to find and read something other than the "politics of personal destruction" that you inhaled during the campaign.

I've read virtually EVERYTHING you and PIP said during the campaign and NOT ONCE did I recall either of you saying that she accomplished ANYTHING. I saw a lot of "AP" critical stories, but not once did I hear, "Hey she did this", why aren't they talking about that?

Conversely, I've read everything I can get my hands on related to Obama. He's my senator, and I've watched his short career. I know what he's done and what he hasn't done.

Additionally, PIP, I've not said even ONE bad thing about him since election day. I'm not a fan by any stretch, but, he is the President, and I intend to give him the respect of the office, something that you and Ziggy did not do with the current occupant. I pledge that NOT ONE TIME, will I stand on a street corner with a sign that said "Bush Lied People Died" (the Obama equivalent). Not once will I wish for his assasination to get rid of him. Not once will that happen.

I will criticize decisions, and I am taking steps (as much as I can) to prevent the transfer of money I earned to those who didn't earn it.

As to Palin, there is plenty of evidence related to her terms as Mayor of Wasila and her current term as Governor. You could research it if you want to. The only "research" I have left to do with Obama is to read his two books, and as soon as the liberals quit checking them out of the Library, I'll read both of them. It'll be a cold day in hell before I'll buy either one, but when one comes available, I WILL read it. More than I can say for either of you.

PIP, let's be clear. You don't have to "display" hatred with words, (though your words do appear to have a "bite" to them), you display it with the typical "elitist" attitude. You know, the "this could go on forever" bullshit. It starts with that, and then continues like you never "heard" anything that anyone else said, then trot out the same "partisian" bullshit that you "heard" on the news or from one of your elitist wine drinking buddies.

To me at least, that convey's hatred. The same kind I saw from the overly educated fools in the town where I live who burned their protest signs with glee on November 6th. The same kind that stood on the corner waving flags and talking about how "evil" the US was. Yep, those fools.

packinpatland
12-27-2008, 08:19 PM
I bet there are alot of Govenors that wish they could predict a surplus..... she's doing something right.

"Next year's budget is expected to create a surplus of $388.7 million, Palin said."

http://www.reuters.com/article/governmentFilingsNews/idUSN1553242820081216

digitaldean
12-27-2008, 08:36 PM
I bet there are alot of Govenors that wish they could predict a surplus..... she's doing something right.

"Next year's budget is expected to create a surplus of $388.7 million, Palin said."

Yes, she is. Wish more governors would do that. I know ol' slimeball Doyle here in WI would find a way to do that.

And how many governors would tax people into oblivion instead of cutback spending. Case in point, Patterson in NY, they are introducing all kinds of new taxes instead of cutting back on gov't services.

Yes, Alaska gets vast majority of their revenue from oil. At least they had the foresight to have money set aside in a contingency fund in case they needed it. A lot of states don't even do that.

packinpatland
12-27-2008, 08:48 PM

Yes, she is. Wish more governors would do that. I know ol' slimeball Doyle here in WI would find a way to do that.

And how many governors would tax people into oblivion instead of cutback spending. Case in point, Patterson in NY, they are introducing all kinds of new taxes instead of cutting back on gov't services.

Yes, Alaska gets vast majority of their revenue from oil. At least they had the foresight to have money set aside in a contingency fund in case they needed it. A lot of states don't even do that.

Is THAT an understatement! With no statewide income or sales tax, Alaska funds about 90 percent of the state budget from royalties and taxes on oil producers.

digitaldean
12-27-2008, 09:19 PM
Is THAT an understatement! With no statewide income or sales tax, Alaska funds about 90 percent of the state budget from royalties and taxes on oil producers.

Well, once we all stop powering our cars, electrical plants and heating our homes on fossil fuel and stop using plastic products based out of petroleum then they will truly be up a creek re: their revenue.

packinpatland
12-27-2008, 09:28 PM
I think they're safe for awhile...... :wink:

MJZiggy
12-27-2008, 10:27 PM
Great. You don't get to be governor without having done something. What has she done to earn her approval rating?There's lots I can read about on the web? Like what? I'm waiting for one of you guys who says she's so bright and so accomplished to tell me something concrete. I can think of a reason why a state of 90% men would elect a woman governor but you'd never buy it anyway. I'm still waiting for the hard details of her accomplishments. Will she still have her approval rating if the oil money dries up in this economy?

You completely missed the point. The point was for YOU to make the effort to find and read something other than the "politics of personal destruction" that you inhaled during the campaign.

I've read virtually EVERYTHING you and PIP said during the campaign and NOT ONCE did I recall either of you saying that she accomplished ANYTHING. I saw a lot of "AP" critical stories, but not once did I hear, "Hey she did this", why aren't they talking about that?

Conversely, I've read everything I can get my hands on related to Obama. He's my senator, and I've watched his short career. I know what he's done and what he hasn't done.

Additionally, PIP, I've not said even ONE bad thing about him since election day. I'm not a fan by any stretch, but, he is the President, and I intend to give him the respect of the office, something that you and Ziggy did not do with the current occupant. I pledge that NOT ONE TIME, will I stand on a street corner with a sign that said "Bush Lied People Died" (the Obama equivalent). Not once will I wish for his assasination to get rid of him. Not once will that happen.

I will criticize decisions, and I am taking steps (as much as I can) to prevent the transfer of money I earned to those who didn't earn it.

As to Palin, there is plenty of evidence related to her terms as Mayor of Wasila and her current term as Governor. You could research it if you want to. The only "research" I have left to do with Obama is to read his two books, and as soon as the liberals quit checking them out of the Library, I'll read both of them. It'll be a cold day in hell before I'll buy either one, but when one comes available, I WILL read it. More than I can say for either of you.

She lost. Why would I bother reading her book? What was the title again? She's not my senator or my governor. At this moment she's just someone you're obsessed with convincing me to like, but honestly, the only one who can convince me to like Sarah Palin is Sarah Palin and she has a LONGGGGG way to go. In the meantime, it doesn't matter anymore. I just hope Rice decides to run and makes her completely irrelevant (note I said irrelevant, not dead--whoever burned down the house of God is a despicable soul) but I doubt that'll happen because the likelihood of Obama completely screwing this up are rather low so they will toss Palin out as a sacrifice. Let's see if she's smart enough to figure that out and not run...

And for the record, I recognize that you've not said a bad word about Obama and I respect that. As to your street corner accusation, I don't demonstrate on street corners. I have always hated this war. I hate that it puts American lives in danger every day. I hate how the thing was handled. I think the timing was off (they should have gotten a grip on Afghanistan first--now we have two countries fucked up and hating us) and I don't believe they declared victory on a ship and didn't give the necessary resources and strategy to get the job done. He wandered in there expecting that they were just going to sing and dance about big, bad America taking over their country, but didn't know what to do when it all fell into chaos. Bush has even admitted that they weren't prepared for this war. He got stubborn and didn't listen to the generals on the ground. So, yes, I may be vocal about how I feel, but I do believe my feelings on the matter are grounded. I do respect Bush for finally admitting that he made some mistakes, but it would have been nice had he not been so bullheaded as things were playing out.

I believe you have me confused with Tex. No way would I want Bush dead. Then we'd get Cheney. Speaking of Tex, it was just last week that he and I were having a discussion in which I gave Palin props for working her way up but he just attacked my compliment as if it were an insult and ignored it when I corrected him. I don't need that.

sheepshead
12-28-2008, 07:48 AM

Show me the hatred in this post, and how does it go beyond partisan campaign rhetoric?

Skin........I'm not threatened and I'm not 'lashing out'. Your 'f*ckable' comment is more jr. high than even high school.

Your girl lost......let's move on.

Geez Pat ..im talking about nationally, internationally even. That was my question when I started this..please.

texaspackerbacker
12-28-2008, 06:31 PM

Kind of sad, isn't it?

PIP, what you are ignoring is a little thing called TRUTH.

Palin is stupid/inexperienced/irrelevant. Bush is stupid/worthy of supreme hate both foreign and domestic, etc. That type of bullshit you place next to: Obama not only associates with, but has his political roots with a corrupt political machine and unabashedly anti-American (both in word (Wright) and deed (Ayers); Caroline Kennedy has zilch in the line of qualifications for any political office; Barney Frank is a flaming fag; Harry Reid is associated with Vegas mobsters and shady land deals; Ted Kennedy got away with vehicular manslaughter; Both Bill and Hillary Clinton were dirty in so many ways they are too numerous to mention.

Why is the one set of criticisms NOT morally equivalent or whatever to the other? TRUTH! Those against the conservatives objectively are NOT true. Those regarding the Dem/libs most certainly are objectively true.

packinpatland
12-28-2008, 08:19 PM
Tex, I think you should have a glass of warm milk and go to bed.

MJZiggy
12-28-2008, 08:58 PM
That's the smartest thing I've heard in the last 3 pages.

texaspackerbacker
12-28-2008, 10:17 PM

But could you possibly disagree with any of what I said?

packinpatland
12-28-2008, 10:24 PM

Yes Tex, I'm going to disagree with all of what you said. But what difference does it make? Let's just agree to agree to disagree till one of us is proved right or wrong. Let it go, for heaven's sake.

retailguy
12-28-2008, 10:26 PM

That's the way it works around here Tex, you got "dismissed" by the elitist liberals. They're too smart and "aloof" for you. You should just give it up. It isn't worth it.

If they refuse to dignify your comments then they don't have to ADMIT that you have some points, then they don't have to defend their perspectives (see how it works?).... Besides, you heard Ziggy, it's "IRRELEVENT" because it doesn't "affect" her. ROFLMAO!

texaspackerbacker
12-28-2008, 10:31 PM

That's the way it works around here Tex, you got "dismissed" by the elitist liberals. They're too smart and "aloof" for you. You should just give it up. It isn't worth it.

If they refuse to dignify your comments then they don't have to ADMIT that you have some points, then they don't have to defend their perspectives (see how it works?).... Besides, you heard Ziggy, it's "IRRELEVENT" because it doesn't "affect" her. ROFLMAO!

You got that right, retailguy. "Let it go" apparently translates to "I refuse to concede the point even though the facts are hopelessly against me"--which is almost always the case with the libs.

Zool
12-28-2008, 10:32 PM

Just plain wow RG. You talk down to pretty much every single person on this board who disagrees with you, and call someone else elitist?

retailguy
12-28-2008, 10:41 PM

Just plain wow RG. You talk down to pretty much every single person on this board who disagrees with you, and call someone else elitist?

There were several questions, many, actually asked in this thread. The questions went largely UNANSWERED. I find that elitist and called it as such. Their criticisms of Palin went well beyond campaign rhetoric.

I don't believe that I "duck" questions or call them "irrelevant". When asked, I've given my perspective. Both of them have STEADFASTLY refused to do that. If they have questions related to Obama, I'd be happy to field them. Since I've read everything I can get my hands on, and have lived with him as my Senator, I think I can actually answer intelligently. On the flip side, they can't cite one accomplishment from our Alaskan Governor, because by their own admission, they've never looked....they just believed what they were spoon fed, which was the point of the thread, I think.

Hope that clears it up for you.

packinpatland
12-28-2008, 10:48 PM
Please don't say that.....
On the flip side, they can't cite one accomplishment from our Alaskan Governor, because by their own admission, they've never looked....they just believed what they were spoon fed, which was the point of the thread, I think.

Posted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:19 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MJZiggy
12-28-2008, 10:51 PM

There were several questions, many, actually asked in this thread. The questions went largely UNANSWERED. I find that elitist and called it as such. Their criticisms of Palin went well beyond campaign rhetoric.

I don't believe that I "duck" questions or call them "irrelevant". When asked, I've given my perspective. Both of them have STEADFASTLY refused to do that. If they have questions related to Obama, I'd be happy to field them. Since I've read everything I can get my hands on, and have lived with him as my Senator, I think I can actually answer intelligently. On the flip side, they can't cite one accomplishment from our Alaskan Governor, because by their own admission, they've never looked....they just believed what they were spoon fed, which was the point of the thread, I think.

Hope that clears it up for you.

Yes, all those questions I asked about Palin's specific policies and actions went largely unanswered. I call bullshit. Tex was the only one who took a stab at it, though all he did was post general republican stances. I very highly doubt they were actually Palin's specific views based on what she stated her views to be or her actions in office. If I can't list her thoughts views and politics, neither can you, dear.

And if you'd like the reasons the answers went beyond campaign rhetoric, read the first post of the thread, with a question I so foolishly thought I could try to answer and thought it might invoke an intelligent discussion on the perceptions of politicians by the public. Sheep of all people actually started moving in the right direction, but rather than the actual discussion I'd hoped for, instead I just got attacked from the same old folks who have this obsession with me liking Sarah Palin. I've told you over and over again that the only one who can make that happen is Palin herself. I don't have to like her any more than you have to like Obama. I didn't call the questions irrelevant, I called Sara Palin irrelevant. And at the moment, if you don't live in Alaska, Sarah Palin is irrelevant. Which question didn't I answer again?

Jimx29
12-29-2008, 12:29 AM
You don't even think of most Democratic woman as women: Rosa Delauro, Nita Lowey, Patty Murray, Janet Napolitano -- .......your Janet Renos, your Donna Shalalas I'd hit 'em :huh:

sheepshead
12-29-2008, 08:22 AM
Well, they are dodging the question, they want to tell us why they didn't vote for her. That's been beat to death on here. I was asking about the hatred. A women, the possibility of breaking the glass ceiling in a big way and a large percentage of the female population hates her. Two quick examples. Tina Fay, admired performer. Says, I hope to never do her after Nov. 4th. Oprah. Oprah has a show for and about women. Not for and about blacks. Oprah refuses to have her on her show during the campaign. While those are prime known examples, the hate is prevalent in my personal observation. Just not sure I can figure out why.

MJZiggy
12-29-2008, 06:04 PM
Sheep, I answered it in my first post. You even responded to my answer with a thought-out answer of your own. Intelligent women really dislike (hate is a strong word) stupid women who try to get by on looks and charm--and we know it when we see it. Intelligent women have high expectations of other women and Sarah Palin fails in meeting those expectations to a degree you don't seem to be able to properly fathom. Likely her worst moment was smiling and winking at the camera in the middle of a vice-presidential debate. Many called that charming. Most women that she would have needed to impress wanted to barf. It was a visceral reaction. What would you have thought of a man who did that? Women are trying to move forward in the world based on our abilities and our intellect. Not on winks and smiles and not being able to list that you read the Washington Post Express every morning followed up with the Post itself for further information and the WTOP website for local stories. It just ain't that hard and the fact that she couldn't even name the Anchorage Daily News, her own local newspaper is appalling and completely unacceptable for a governor much less a vice-presidential candidate. I don't need to do further research on her to know that. She couldn't think of a single Supreme Court decision? Brown v. Board of Education was too much for her or Bush v. Gore.? That's not a gotcha question. And to smile and say, "well, all of them were important" is unacceptable in a world leader. Women don't want a leader in office who is going to make men look at her as an example that women don't belong in office because they're too dumb.

I've stated over and over the first moment I came to realize I didn't like her and it was over a policy issue that tells me wasn't thinking things all the way through Do you know what that policy issue is? I doubt it. She is basing her thoughts on the way she wants things to be instead of the evidence before her. Mine is an opinion set in motion by a specific human learning reaction (or failure thereof). I don't need any more than that. If she can't learn and adapt, I don't trust her to be able to lead this country.

More importantly, it's getting very tiresome to not be able to have a grown up discussion here without it being made into a battle. I thought Sheep's question was interesting and his comparison to Reagan's early political years an apt comparison. Why'd you boneheads have to go and trash it with attacks? Does every topic have to devolve into left vs. right, lib vs. democrat Obama vs. whoever? Are you going to keep on the attack if Obama turns out to be a good president? Some in here have been grown up enough to say that it's worth finding out. And some have even gone so far as to mock those that start the happy non-political kinds of topics that the Romper Room was founded on. You've turned the whole room into the FYI thread, when really it was based on the AP thread with an FYI thread inside it. Used to be kinda funny in here and after a long day, sometimes you could just use a good laugh, don't you think?

sheepshead
12-29-2008, 07:17 PM
I'll spend some time on this I promise, but my kneejerk is GWB winks and smiles. Obama smiles all the time. Calls women "hun". Biden...well.

I would say it's her being her. Not to get you all worked up, but that genuineness works for many. It's an asset the president elect has yet to master.

texaspackerbacker
12-29-2008, 07:24 PM
He calls Biden "hun" too? Don't ask, don't tell about that one.